You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Shadow People :: My Mum's Attachment

Real Ghost Stories

My Mum's Attachment

 

I think my mum has something attached to her.

I have always been a sensitive person and have certain 'gifts' that I believe would be stronger if I were not raised in a Jehovah's Witness household. My gifts include sensitivity to energies (both human and paranormal), some kind of precognition and something even stranger (I will discuss all this in a different post).

When I was 14 or 15 I was living with my mum in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. As I mentioned, I was raised in a Jehovah's Witness household and had given no thought to the paranormal for many years. The kitchen in our townhouse was open plan and lead into the lounge. There was a small island of kitchen cabinets separating the kitchen and the lounge. My mum was doing the dishes in the kitchen with her back to me while I sat on the other side of the island doing homework and chatting to her. During the conversation, my mum turned around to face me while she spoke. As she turned, I saw something black fall behind her. At first I thought she had knocked the dishcloth off the sink when she turned but I could clearly see it still on the side of the sink. Besides, it was white and yellow. I looked at the ground around her feet trying to see what had dropped but there was absolutely nothing there.

The thing I saw materialised in mid-air at almost the exact height of the kitchen sink. It really looked like a dishcloth. It had no particular shape and looked exactly like someone had held the dishcloth at about mid-waist height and dropped it. When I say it was black, I don't mean black like black clothing. I mean black as in the absence of colour black. I hope that makes sense and I apologise for the vagueness. I put it out of my mind and carried on as usual.

Now, the reason I say I think it is attached to my mum and not the house is because it followed us when we moved house about 6 months later. I don't think it is attached to me because I left home in 2010 as soon as I graduated from High School (the exact same day, actually) and it has not followed me. I have my own followers but they are different.

About a year or two on when I was 16 or 17 I woke up in the middle of the night to get a glass of water. As soon as I stepped over the threshold of my bedroom door I smelled a distinct burning smell. Like someone was burning toast. I obviously went around the house checking if any of the appliances or plug outlets had shorted or if someone had left the oven on etc. Absolutely nothing. Everything was off and as it should be. Eventually I gave up and got my water. My back had that itch like someone was watching me so I got back to my room as fast as I could. Again, as soon as I stepped over the doorway threshold to my room I stopped smelling the burning. I tested that a few times by stepping in and out of my bedroom door. As soon as I was out of my room I could smell it. As soon as I was back in my room the smell went away. The weirdest part was that I could have my feet inside my doorway and my head outside and I couldn't smell the burning. It was only if my entire body was outside my room that I could smell it.

Our house alarm used to go off on it's own as well. We had it checked multiple times and there were never any technical faults. My step-father was an alcoholic and a drug addict so he was kind of in and out of our lives. When the alarm would go off, I took it upon myself to go and check the house for intruders. My mum was way too gentle to do that herself. I'm not a very strong woman but I definitely stood more of a chance against an intruder than my mum! We never had problems with break-ins and all of the pets were locked in my mum's room when the alarm went off. Just no explanation (not the wind because we live in South Africa and sleeping with windows or doors open is a real gamble with your life).

I don't go and see my mum very much these days unless it is to take my children to visit (we live in different cities and I just don't get on with her). Whenever I am there I often see shadows following her and my husband has seen a shadow hand on her shoulder before. My son (who is very sensitive) has also complained of a "black girl on the ceiling and curtain" before. I smelled that burning smell in my last visit with her (about a month ago).

We got into a huge fight when I was a teen and tried to talk to her about all of this so I have decided to just leave it alone. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm. I will step in if it turns out that it IS causing her any harm but until then, let sleeping dogs lie.

Other hauntings by Bee_Beans

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Bee_Beans, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Hilarygosick (guest)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-28)
Personally,I believe that it has attached to your mother for all these years then maybe this entity is related to your mother's past and thus,wasn't able to break ties with her. And maybe this attachment is the cause it can't leave this world or something like that. It is just a personal belief, so don't stress on it. 😉
Bee_Beans (6 stories) (41 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-23)
Hi Melda

Thanks for your comments and questions.

I think that my mum is of the opinion that all entities are ghosts (spirits of dead people that have been left/ or have returned to this plane of existence). This, according to her religion, is impossible as people are DEAD after they die. We lie in the ground waiting for Jehovah to resurrect us at the time of Armageddon. Therefore, ghosts cannot be real. In short, I think she doesn't believe me because she CAN'T believe me and has closed herself off to anything other than her religion.

Honestly I have no idea if it could have been more than one entity. It is obviously very possible. There is so little to go on and each experience is so different that it is difficult to find anything common to each experience. Unfortunately I was not aware of my own sensitivity at the time. It is only now that I am more open to these things. I wish I was more aware of my sensitivity then as I could have tried to 'feel' if there was more than one.
Bee_Beans (6 stories) (41 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-23)
Red

Thank you for your comment and question.

The only change I noticed in my mum was related to her religion. She became more and more fanatical. It is difficult to tell whether or not her obsession (yes, her fanaticism has reached obsession level) is due to her attachment or if it is simply by free will that she has thrown herself into her religion so deeply.

I also can't tell if her faith is the reason she won't talk about it or if she is totally unaware of the attachment. I'm afraid I can't give answers to those questions as it is a topic that I can't speak to my mother about.
Bee_Beans (6 stories) (41 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-23)
lady-glow

I think it is very possible that I inherited the sensitivity from my mother. I think, due to her religion, she has blocked herself off from whatever 'gifts' she may have been born with. She is very sensitive and caring so I would not be surprised at all if my abilities came from her.

Thank you for your comment.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-22)
Bee_Beans - I would be equally concerned if I became aware that an entity had attached itself to one of my loved ones.

Do you think that your mother doesn't believe you or that she simply wants you to butt out? Possibly she isn't aware of it and her deep religious beliefs act as a natural protection against whatever this entity might be. It doesn't sound like a guardian spirit at all but if it's evil she would have felt the effects after all this time. Even if it isn't evil she probably would have felt something, unless of course it is so much part of her life that it feels perfectly normal.

How would I know if I had an attachment? I believe I would know but I can't say that with certainty, particularly if it's part of my life and has become what I accept as my normality.

Perhaps there was a second entity in the house you shared with your mother or do you think that her "attachment" was also causing the malfunctioning of the alarm and the burning smell?

This is very interesting and I look forward to reading many more comments on it.

Regards, Melda
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-21)
Bee-Beans

Was there a change in your mothers' demeanor or habits after this attachment? If not then I doubt that "thing" stayed around her for long.

Evidently whatever is in her house doesn't bother her. Her faith is probably why she has not talked about this.

Regards
Red
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-21)
Bee_Beans - this is a very interesting experience and, though I have no answers not suggestions about it, I have some questions.

Do you think it possible that you got this sensitivity from your mother? It isn't uncommon for two or more members within a family to share the 'gift' and, by the way you describe it it points to something following your mother but perhaps she has been in denial/fear and shielding behind religion as a way to avoid dealing with this all through her life.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: