You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Threatening Presence

Real Ghost Stories

Threatening Presence

 

In October of this year, my parents and I moved from our family home into a tiny little rancher that I am currently living in now. The house was quite a lot smaller than what I was used to, and with this being my first time moving, I was naturally a little nervous and couldn't shake the overwhelming eerie feeling I would get while in my new room, especially from my closet. The house itself wasn't creepy at all, it had a huge open living room, 2 small bedrooms, a pink bathroom and a kitchen and laundry room that looked like it jumped right out of the 70's. It didn't take long for me to settle right in, despite the uncomfortableness in my room.

Not long after, my boyfriend had moved in with us and we had just finished setting up the last of our things. This is when I first started to notice the presence. At first I could only really feel it when I was alone in my room, but eventually it would progress to me feeling like I was being watched in the living room, kitchen, or even while I was outside having a smoke. Almost every night I would wake up out of a deep sleep for no reason and just stare blankly at the space behind my door or at my closet door. These were still fairly new surroundings to me, so I took it as a sign of me being paranoid and didn't pay much attention to it after that.

I am not sure if ignoring the fact that something was there angered it, but not long after that I began to feel extremely threatened for no reason. I would be walking through the house at night and the sudden urge to run would come over me, almost as if I was being followed or even chased to my room. The worst was when I was having a shower and I could feel a presence standing in the tub with me. The fear got so bad I was reluctant to even have a shower, and was tempted to ask my boyfriend to sit in the bathroom with me every time. There was one night when my boyfriend and I had just fallen asleep, when I was woken up fairly abruptly. I had my face buried into his back, which meant my back was facing my closet door. This paralyzing fear washed over my entire body suddenly and I kept repeating in my head "Don't look at it. DO NOT look at it." The room began to feel very heavy and the next thing I knew I was bawling my eyes out, completely terrified. I couldn't get rid of the feeling that something bad was going to happen, and that scared me all the more. I don't know how, but I knew that once I turned a light on "it" would go away. But in order for me to do that I needed to turn around and face my closet, but my head kept repeating "DO NOT LOOK AT IT." Luckily the lamp by my bed has an extended switch that I have wrapped around the headboard, so in one quick motion I was able to roll over and flip the switch on all without opening my eyes. As soon as the light hit the room, the heaviness was gone although I was still shaken with fear, I laid there for the rest of the night just crying.

Since that night things haven't been as bad, but they haven't gone away either. Now I'm starting to catch shadows in my room and living room with nothing there to possibly cast it. I'm still woken up on a regular basis during the night by absolutely nothing. When I am feeling negative or having a bad day I do notice the presence a lot more. I have not physically seen anything, nor have I heard things (whispers, footsteps, etc.) and as far as I know, I am the only one in the house who has been experiencing anything. I have had my fair share of experiences with spirits in life, but nothing that has ever scared me or made me feel threatened, up until I moved into my new house. I am worried that I may have attracted the attention of someone or "something" I do not want around me. I will not lie, but this experience has left me slightly unnerved and I don't really have anybody I can talk to about situations like this which is why I thought about this site. If anybody is experiencing something similar or can offer any help or insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Other hauntings by Glowinthedark89

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Glowinthedark89, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-10)
I agree with BJJ's suggestion that you should test the area for EMFs. The times in my life I've felt dread or fear for no good reason, it was usually purely biological and caused by me feeling sick, and I've been sick often due to environmental things. So I think it's quite possible something there is having an ill-effect on you without affecting others.

Also, if this is an older place, I say test the paint on the walls for lead. And maybe check to see there's no mildew growing in the closet. Yaknow, give your place the good ol' Dr. House scrub-down.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-09)
I don't think it's all in your head. Whether its high EMF or a presence that is gradually increasing its power due to being charged by your fear of it, it smacks of real ness. I think it's time to act if you want some peace. Don't be frightened of the thing, you have right of way, hold some authority:)
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-09)
EMF is a very valid possibility. A lot of old houses are wired so that it causes almost a microwave kind of environment within it. True that if you aren't sensitive, you'll cruise through without noticing so much... If you are sensitive, it will subtly wreck your peace of mind.
lynrinth (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-07)
Sorry to hear about all the negativity you're feeling. Would it be terrible if you were to talk about it with your boyfriend? I would hope he would at least be concerned and would take what you tell him somewhat serious. What about your parents? There is a slight chance maybe they experienced something too, even if they said maybe not. They could be scared too, and just not know how to deal with it. Rook has a housecleansing receipe in his profile. Other commentors have tried it, and said it work. It's one thing to try, and see if it would help. Good luck.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2014-05-07)
Rook, I've actually had the vinegar thing suggested to me before, by a witch. There are many, many witchcraft traditions and they sometimes differ in their methods, as you already know. 😉 Then there are eclectic practitioners who borrow from multiple traditions. If it works, run with it.
Glowinthedark, while reading your experience, I wondered about the possibility of high EMF. If the house's electric systems aren't properly insulated, the wiring get can give off high electromagnetic fields (EMF.) Some people are much more sensitive to EMF than others, and can feel watched, nauseated, or paranoid in the presence of EMF. Other people take no notice at all. It's a possible non paranormal explanation, and may have something to do with why no one else is experiencing anything. Can't hurt to check the EMF in the house.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-07)
Sns,

While I can agree that salt can assist in forming a barrier... And that Burning/Smudging with Sage can assist in cleansing an enviroment... And reading from the book of Pslams even has its benifits... But the vinegar and the cold iron I question... I was a Witch and I now am A High Priest for my chosen Faith (Christian Based) and with all my experience iron and vinegar have never been mentioned for use against spirits...

Against the Fey...yes...at least the cold iron... Are you suggesting that presence the O/P experienced is possibly non-human...or even Fey? Curious minds want to know.

Respectfully,

Rook
supernaturalservices (86 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-07)
I wanted to give you some quick tips that will cut down on supernatural manifestation drastically.

1. Get a bowl of white vinegar and mix it with sea salt. Let it evaporate in the area where the manifestations are occuring.

2. Burn some sage in the area twice a week. You can youtube how.

3. If there is a direct manifestation right in front of you, you can shine an LED light at it and it will diminish. Also passing things made of Iron through manifestations work well to dispel things.

4. Saying psalm 91 or a protective prayer before bed works for many people.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-07)
glowinthedark89 - this sounds similar to my experience in my latest 3 stories. I would too feel nervous/anxiety/sad out of nowhere too. May I suggest you try to find out whether there has been a tragic death that happened there and if not then try to bless the house, especially your room. Because when I submitted my story, I had put in my mind that in my basement there was an evil entity and some members here suggested it could have been a suicide spirit instead.
So to avoid hurting an earth-bound spirit, I think it's best to try to find out what is is first before addressing the situation. You could try to tell it "look this is my home now, I can share with you if you are nice, and may God bless you, please go to the light"- and if you don't see any change then perhaps a cleansing is needed. Rook has a method that has worked for many others. His name is Rookdygin- I think I spelled it correctly 😕
Hope you find help soon ❤
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-07)
Hi Glowinthedark89, welcome to YGS.

Seeing as you have not seen or experienced anything physically, could this all simply put, be in your head? With a new house you are not familiar with, and what could have been an off the cuff thought about your creepy closet has spiralled into full terror as you have described. This would also explain why no one else has experienced anything.

That being said, there could be something after all, and if it would bring you ease of mind and hep you relax and get back to normality, you could undertake a cleansing of your house, focussing on your closet. Hopefully this will help you.

Thanks for posting, and please keep us updated 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: