You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Lay Back

Real Ghost Stories

Lay Back

 

I remember when I was 14 years old my father and step-mother sent me to sleep-away camp up in Maine. I am from Brooklyn, NY so this outdoor stuff was quite different and fun for me. So here's the layout of the camp. The boys had square cabins about 40ft by 50ft and there were 8 of these cabins for us boys. The girls had the same thing but on the opposite end of the camp.

We were all situated on an island with no electricity and brackish water. For those who don't know what brackish water is, it's fresh water mixed with salt water. So it got rough living there but after a week one could get used to it. We had all our food and water delivered to us on the island. Anyway on with my story.

Nights there on the island were beautiful. Cool, crisp summer air hitting you from all over because the cabins were well ventilated, but there was this calm eeriness about those nights that would scare me. Now, being a 14 year old teenager, I thought I was tough enough for anything until one night I woke up in the wee hours of the morning, it had to be 2 or 3 am. I looked up at my screen window and I saw the outline of a hairy head. I couldn't make out any features but I was petrified and I nearly urinated all over myself because it didn't feel right like really, really evil.

I tried to move but I was pinned down against the cot. It was terrifying! Then in a demonic voice I hear, "Lay back." I started to cry, waking up one of my fellow campers. He came over to me and I told him what happened. He assured me I had a bad dream. I never slept in that cabin again.

Well, people, there you go. I hoped you like my story because I sure didn't.

Other hauntings by pjs1977

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, pjs1977, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

pjs1977 (2 stories) (48 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-20)
Miracles I doubt it was a prank, I understand that pranks are played on the younger kids but this was 3 in the morning and I was very well liked so that is unlikely. Also how do you explain the whole night paralysis while this was happening. I don't know the whole thing was terrifying even for me to tell in a story 24 years Later.
pjs1977 (2 stories) (48 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-20)
Yes Pebbles it was sleep paralysis definitely but felt so. Sam the camp I was in was called camp friendship. Thanks you guys for letting me share that story its been 24 years since lol
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-19)
Pjs1977, it was intersting reading your story, because I actually live in Maine. I agree with pebbles_keeper; it may have been sleep paralysis. Just out of curiosity: do you remeber the name of the camp?
Also miracles' theory may be correct, it is a reasonable Explaination since you were at a camp, but I'm not so sure about the not being able to move part.
Pebbles_Keeper (1 stories) (35 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-03-18)
pjs1977
I've re-read your post.
You could possibly have been experiencing sleep paralysis?
Pebbles_Keeper (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-18)
pjs1977
I have been on school camps and pranks were the norm.
Obviously I can't guarantee (is it just me or is this word strange when spelt out?) what you experienced was a prank too. I don't know.
Your camp sounds like it was very atmospheric, paranormal or not.
Best wishes.
Andrea
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-03-18)
pjs1977 - I've never been to camp, of any kind, but have heard enough stories from friends to know that pranks are played, especially on the younger and/or newer members.

I am leaning toward the hairy head being just a prank. I also think it's very possible, and probably likely, that the demonic voice was also a prank.

I hope so anyway 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: