You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Apparition Of Former House Owner?

Real Ghost Stories

Apparition Of Former House Owner?

 

I was living at a friend's house early 2004 in a suburb called Unigray in the south of Johannesburg. Apparently the house (located in a circle) used to be a railway-owned home back in the day.

The first strange thing I noticed while staying there, was that my friend's four-year old daughter had a jolly time talking to an invisible person whenever she went into one particular room down the passage. Whenever I walked past that room while she was in there, I could hear her giggling and chatting away. I never could bring myself to enter the room though, a strange feeling of foreboding kept me standing outside.

Then one night I went to bed early only to wake up at about 11:30 with an urgent need to use the bathroom. The bathroom was situated in such a way that when you get to the door you can look into the living room on your right. Padding down the passage in the dark, I already felt uncomfortable. Then as I reached the bathroom door, I kept telling myself not to look into the living room.

Yet, I couldn't stop myself. As I slowly turned my head right, I saw moonlight gently shining onto the sofa that was standing next to the window. And sitting on the sofa was a dark figure, its head towering above the headrest. As I stared, it rotated toward me...

Needless to say, I ran back to the bedroom and cowered under the duvet.

When I carefully brought up the experience the next day, my friend casually told me that she believed it might be the spirit of the previous owner keeping an eye on her family and especially her little one.

I haven't been back there since.

Other hauntings by Estelle

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Estelle, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DandelionQueen (4 stories) (24 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-31)
Based on my own experiences, I have come to believe that spirits have a way of making you to feel what they want you to feel. I lived in an apartment that was "occupied" by a previous owner, and my experience was similar to your friend's - I was weirdly unfrightened by the often downright spooky things she did. It is interesting that you had a sense of foreboding while the family did not - I wonder if the spirit viewed you as a stranger, someone who didn't belong, and projected those feelings on you for that reason?
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-29)
Hi Estelle, firstly, welcome to YGS. 😊

Your friend was obviously well aware of the spirit in her house and accordingly, didn't see it as a threat. Some folks welcome spirits into their homes, especially if the spirit is well behaved.

According to your description, the spirit only looked at you; it didn't do anything threatening. Seems to me, this was a guardian of the house and family. Maybe it wondered what You were doing in their home?

Thanks for sharing.
Estelle (2 stories) (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-29)
Hi, thanks for your comment. The weirdest thing to me was the non-concerned attitude of my friend about the whole situation! I mean if that were my house, I would have moved! 😨
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-27)
Estelle, I would have ran back to bed too!

As the ghost was sitting around in a dark house it's possible it was a former owner or resident who just likes being there.
It could also be a guardian/guide of someone living there. Perhaps this ghost is connected to your friend's daughter and looks after her.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: