You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Are My Experiences Paranormal?

Real Ghost Stories

Are My Experiences Paranormal?

 

May 2014 I went to South Africa for an internship and I stayed with a host family.

They had this really big house and there were two guest bedrooms opposing each other. One of them didn't have lights or anything, some kind of leak and there was only a towel on the bed, so I stayed in the other. On the last night I went to bed in 'my' room just like every other night.

In the middle of the night I woke up, because I was feeling very cold. No wonder, because all I was sleeping under was a towel. I opened my eyes and was totally lost, because I didn't recognize the room I was in.

It took me a while to realize I was in the opposing guestroom, because the windows and door were opposite. I still don't know how I got there and most people would say I had sleepwalked, but I'm not a known sleepwalker and my mom would notice if I sleepwalked at home, because she doesn't sleep soundly at all.

I've had another weird experience more recently, at home. I was lying in my bed, on my side, facing the wall. Out of nowhere I felt a gentle touch on my back. It felt like some kind of finger. It really scared me.

In the mean time I got this thought all over and over again "don't look". It even seemed as if it wasn't my own thought, but someone else their thought, which scared me even more. I was positive that there weren't any of my family members in my room.

I really don't know what could have caused my sleepwalking and the touch I felt on my back. I have never felt such a thing before and never really had any other paranormal experiences, other than my stepsister who used to hear or see things, like two people arguing in her room.

Other hauntings by LittleWriter

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LittleWriter, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ashar123 (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-10)
A nice story, thanks for sharing.

Hfjoufsxbnkkiygdtipojgvbjkkj
elnoraemily (guest)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-09)
Nicely said, Biblio. That pretty much summed up everything I wanted to say, but better.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
9 years ago (2015-04-09)
Little Writer:
Even people who do not typically sleepwalk can act in a seemingly-normal or rational manner under stress. These phenomena are grouped together under the term "parasomnia" (which include sleep paralysis, night terrors, etc., but NOT the medical condition Sleep Apnea). Here are some useful websites on the subject-

General Overview:
Http://sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/sleep-and-parasomnias

Sleepwalking Causes (taken directly from http://www.emedicinehealth.com/script/main/mobileart-emh.asp?articlekey=59140&page=2):
*Possible hereditary/familial trend
*Drugs, for example, thioridazine, fluphenazine, perphenazine, desipramine, chloral hydrate, and lithium
*Fever
*Sleep deprivation and obstructive sleep apnea (condition in which breathing stops temporarily while sleeping)
*Other disorders that disrupt slow-wave sleep
*Internal stimuli, such as a full urinary bladder
*External stimuli, such as noises.

At times of stress, I have been told (by my brother, my mother, my wife) I have somniloquy "Sleep Talking," which -on occasion- has been accompanied by sleep walking. This is when you have not woken up to become fully-conscious, but you have enough awareness to go through what seem like sensible actions.

This has several possible causes
(this is the first 1/2 of a paragraph from http://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-disorders-problems/sleep-talking/causes):
"Sleep talking may be brought on by stress, depression, fever, sleep deprivation, day-time drowsiness, alcohol, and fever. In many instances sleep talking runs in families, although external factors seem to stimulate the behavior. Sleep talking often occurs concurently with other sleep disorders such as nightmares, confusional arousals, sleep apnea, and REM sleep behavior disorder."

IF sleepwalking becomes a regular occurrence, I would suggest that you first consult a medical professional about your sleeping habits. On the other hand, should these phenomena occur only under periods of stress/anxiety (major life changes, intercontinental airplane flights from South Africa to the Netherlands), then you are probably PERFECTLY NORMAL. Packing up, getting to the airport on time, going through customs & security, then a long flight (or two long flights with a layover), is stressful because you have to spend an extended period without feeling in control of your own life.

Always explore the simple explanation first, then look for the paranormal.

Take care,
-Biblio.
DreamOfMe (9 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-09)
Record your whole night sleep with your high end phone? See if someone move you there or you sleep walk there.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-09)
LittleWriter, your experiences may have been paranormal, I'm sure the cold touch was, but I'm not so sure about sleepwalking, as to wether it can relate to the paranormal or not, I'm just not sure. I've sleepwalked only once myself (I went to bed in my room (9yrs old at the time) and woke up on the couch). I've witnessed one of my cousins sleep walk right out of the room and come back, and I've witnessed sleep talk (in gibberish) several times. I just don't know whether it is paranormal. But I've though, what if you didn't sleep walk and got there another way.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: