You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Nature Spirit? Elemental?

Real Ghost Stories

Nature Spirit? Elemental?

 

Last year my friend "S" lived briefly in her ex-husband "C's" "pool cottage". She was in between apartments and he had taken over a large piece of property with extra room for her too. There is a big main house with swimming pool and the pool "cottage" had been available to their shared grown children when home during summers. It was very kind of him to offer it to his ex-wife while it was open.

"S" and her children had been telling me for months about the "magical" property that "C" had come by. The children are 23, 21 and 18 years old. Each had implored me to please come see what I "felt" there. My closest friends know that I am quite sensitive and am able to pick up spirits in certain places.

"S" her children felt that what was there was no "ghost" on this land. They were convinced it was inhabited by fairies or animal spirits of some sort. The middle daughter described to me seeing tiny lights flying out of a tree, into the bushes and being able to hear the bushes rustle as the lights went in them? (We do not have fire flies in this state by the way.) She had many other experiences such as hearing tapping on all of the windows of the sun room she used to sleep in. Tapping that went from one window to another to another completely surrounding the sunroom. She told me she could see some sort of a "being" responsible for the tapping but could only describe it as some sort of "animal-like spirit". This did intrigue me about the place. I don't want to get too involved with what the kids saw and described as it is not first hand. I just want to convey what was told to me that peaked my interest.

This piece of land is approximately 10-15 acres on a hill above our little town in Eastern WA. It was originally purchased for apple crops. The orchard has since been removed. Large metal gates open to a long tree-lined drive way that leads to the main house. The house was built in 1942, a large average house with 3 bedrooms and an in ground pool.

A gorgeous two level pond bubbles in the back. It is filled with water lilies and lined with moss covered stones. Every flower, vine, bush you can imagine (that grows in Eastern WA) has been planted around this yard and house. The original owners must have spent thousands of dollars on their landscaping.

An old greenhouse covered in vines sits on the other side of the driveway still scattered with old pots and garden tools. "C" the new owner, does not enjoy gardening. He simply does his best to maintain what is there... And this is when trying to describe what a huge undertaking that entails is a bit difficult.

The property close to the house looks to be hard enough to maintain- pond, lawns, flowering hedges, perennials, you name it, but as you move further away from the house, the landscaping is mind-boggling. The original owners continually planted flower beds and islands of shrubs and trees. A huge grape growing area is bordered by islands of fir trees and different shrubs, past them are aspen groves, birch groves, then shade plant islands, rows of Japanese maples and flowering quince... There are probably 50 of these islands/landscape beds that creep out into the acreage. The plantings only stopped because the owners moved away. Do any of you recall the "Winchester House"? (Seeing as this is a ghost story website, I am sure a lot of you would.) Sarah Winchester continued to build and build on her mansion to keep the ghosts at bay. This is what the continuous flower beds remind me of.

About 50 feet from the main house stands the "pool cottage". It is a very cute small, one bedroom house with a back porch converted into a sun room/bedroom.

My first visit to the property was a brief late night stop where I could not stay long, but I wanted to at least get out of the car and explore briefly. I was drawn immediately to a huge tree, covered in ivy that stands over the cottage. This giant must be over 100 years old. He is quite a beauty and has grown similar in shape to a goblet. The branches grow out and up, around a large open "space" in the middle of the tree. It looks as though the limbs protect or "cup" that space, if that makes sense. The vibrations from this tree that I felt could only be described as "regal". I didn't feel anything negative, just that he had a very important "job" and seemed to be in charge of the property. I also picked up that absolutely NO ONE was to ever sit in the open spot in the middle of him. I am not sure why... But it was a "no no". I found out afterwards this was the tree that had the lights flying from it.

A few weeks later I was able to explore some more of the property during daylight. Mr. Tree still gave off his royal vibrations and, while I found the place simply gorgeous and was sure if fairies could chose a home this place would be it, I just couldn't understand what I was picking up. Not one human ghostie was to be felt, just something felt "charged" about the plants and area. I was at a loss to explain it.

As I was telling my friend "S" goodbye and getting into my car to leave, movement to the left caught my eye and I turned my head in time to see an animal walking along the inside of the fence line. He was about 100 feet away from me across a large lawn. I thought at first this was a dog but as I watched him run along the fence line... I was just very, very confused. His body was long about 4 ft, he had black shaggy hair, but ran on legs that looked no more than approximately 6 inches tall. The closest thing I could compare him to was a black Corgi but so much larger and deformed looking. He disappeared into the landscape. "S" did not see it but could tell that I had seen "something". She simply said "If you figure out what is going on up here, let me know."

I have googled a description of that creature, searched mythical creatures, elementals and nature spirits to no avail. My friend has since moved. The only info I can find on the parcel is that it was previously agriculture land and part of it is still in the original family's trust. Any ideas out there?

Other hauntings by teriland1

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, teriland1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-06-08)
It's been a very long time since I've been to this site. I also have done a lot to block the spiritual things in my life due to past experiences. But... Your story is calling me. I'm planning a roadtrip this summer. I live in Seattle and intend to visit friends in Montana, then go south to Missouri. I don't know why your story is calling me. I've been intentionally "blind" for almost a decade. But I'm now feeling a strong pull, and if I can help you, I'd love to do so. Please email me. Roxyndra [at] gmail. Seriously. I won't publish anything you share with me, and this really is an odd event... I've ignored the strangely spiritually perceptive side of myself for over half my life now. There's something here. If you don't want me, find someone else. There's something important here, and I guarantee that.
teriland1 (3 stories) (8 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-07)
Hello again! Back with a couple of notes about the place... This valley was a MAJOR gathering place for the native americans. They were here way before us white folk. I am VERY respectful of their sacred places. There are a few areas here still that it is frowned upon for whites to visit, and seeing as this truly is their land and they were here first... I obey these laws. Years ago, I "accidently" built a house smack dab in the middle of an old native hunting ground. Being a sensitive - and thankfully an artist - the spirits there loved me and what I was doing. They also understood how much I respected them. With this being said - there is not one native american spirit up at that property, whatever is there has been there for...forever. Older than them. Not negative... Just magestic. I was invited up there last night to a party. I declined as I am having some health problems and on medication. (I hate it- my system is just too sensitive) I didn't feel that mr. "doggy" and I should meet again on those terms 😆. I feel like now with mr. Crabby caretaker in charge there is a good balance up there and everyone is at peace. On a side note: I have other stories to upload and sure hope I can post them soon. Looks like this site has been unindated with stories: (
SAYURI (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-06)
Do not worry, my country has a variety of stories like that. The thing you saw is a spirit or guardian of nature. It can do no harm unless you invade into it's home or try to harm it.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-06-04)
Beginning, I have little knowledge about the history of this area and the beliefs of the people who may have inhabited it through history. I don't know how this may relate, and to what significance a dog entity, let alone shapeshifter, may have. Or their negative impact on the people residing there today.

However, I have a strong bond with a few dog entities. One since I was a child. I have found them loyal, loving and I'd even go so far to say 'wise'. Very recently dog entities have helped me rid a very nasty paranormal presence from my life.
I don't profess to know how they're linked to nature spirits, yet I must admit I feel there's a kinship of sorts.
The creature Teriland hopes to identify may not even be a dog. If the creature I saw was the same kind as what she saw this didn't look like a dog at all. But, for lack of a better description, I can see why one would think of a corgi. That's IF we saw the same kind of creature.

I agree with you whole heartedly that we must endeavour to protect land and habitat and respect/incorporate nature spirits within our garden designs. I agree that nature spirits can turn against those who don't respect them. But let's not run away with fear based notions. I know you mean well, please trust the story tellers perspective. Terriland's experience is positive and extremely interesting. Unless I skipped a paragraph, I didn't read anything about a big bad wolf.
Begining (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-04)
Native Americans in my area- from the recent indians to the ancient native americans- were extremely good at planting, harvesting, making orchards, making the land fertile and I wonder if the original surname of the trust family is one of those people or maybe they just they just want to keep the energies there calm and happy so they restored it to that time frame.

Ever hear the fable of Johnny Appleseed? His real surname was Chapman and he was a real person. Came from a well to do family in my area, traveled all over planting orchards of apple trees and revisited these places to make sure the people understood how to take care of them properly.

I have heard of a dog like that in folklore. I will keep my eyes open for the name when I come across it again. Were you able to see what kind of snout and tail? It could have been that kind of dog-like animal that is actually a shapeshifter and won't show their true humanlike form, They are incognito and that is so NOT a good sign when they are hiding what kind of spirit they really are. From what I learned-be wary and scared of ANY black dog on ancient ground. If that animal keeps showing up at that same location of the yard any other times if you go back then it could mean it's a shapeshifter and that his human form was buried right where you see him. On sacred ground, the negative energies are bound to their grave or the burial grounds itself by the ancient people or indians through ceremonies and rituals so negative spirits cannot leave and do bad things. Hope no one releases it. You will probably find iron all around the original property lines, man made like the gates, in meteorites and natural iron containing rocks under the ground, that they put around it- forming a barrier, so the spirits can't leave the property.

Does it also look like there was a trench dug around the property, or perhaps a double trench, with or without water? (even if over time it's almost level with the current ground?

The power these kinds of properties have are so dangerous in the wrong human hands. The rituals and ceremonies that people can do there can be extremely powerful whether they are using it for good or bad spells, healing, hurting someone etc... Sacred ground can be so dangerous.
teriland1 (3 stories) (8 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-06-03)
I totally understand Beginning:) I don't know much about the family other than they planted orchard again on the trust land. I do think "something" is happening on that place that definitely needs to be left alone and I intend to oblige. My main hope was to try and identify the creature I saw - which I may never do and I am fine with that. I am still grateful to experience the magic up there. I am not sure if I will ever be back.
Begining (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-31)
It's just my guess, since I haven't been there but I sense that there is more to how you felt than you wrote. Sometimes things are hard to put into words. I have experienced a couple similar beautiful places with charged feelings. Here is what I think you may have encountered from what I learned about a couple similar properties. I think the home you mentioned was built on sacred ground. An ancient place of burial, worship, and ceremony. The iron gates keep the bad spirits in and tied to the property. (even if they are open) There are probably a lot more things not in the story, that would be due to not being noticed, removed due to not knowing, or hidden so they are not removed, that would be for keeping the spirits where they belong. I would bet the extensive landscaping helped to placate any restless, negative or evil spirits. Even on calm burial grounds, the animals that once roamed the area, will still roam in full form. They do not want to be contained any more than human spirits to one patch of land. It may be best that inhabitants not know what is under their feet, because the beauty of the gardens keeps any negative vibes covered up or negative spirits placated. Just knowing what is currently silent to those living there can stir up trouble. Should they start sensing any negative vibes, the tapping may not remain so nice. From experience, it can turn into full fledged terrifying (any time of day or night) pounding from all walls at the same time. Things can happen much worse than that even, but I won't get into that because this is your story. I would not dig at all literally or figuratively, and if their thoughts stay positive, good things will happen. Disrupt the balance and peace and it can bring you to your knees, total rock bottom, beyond your control. Positive thoughts are must. Let sleeping dogs lay. Leave the "rocks" alone. Even though they could have been removed, is there any stones on the property? Boulders? If any artifacts are found, don't disturb them. What is on the land still in trust to the original family? What is the Surname of that family? What do you know about their history? Sounds to me like they knew what was there, (the original owners) they respected it, made it happy and placated it and hopefully it will stay that way unless someone upsets the balance. DO NOT UPSET THAT BALANCE. Sometimes things need to be left in strange places, to let them know you respect them, even though they don't need it. The properties I experienced also had extensive gardens built by an owner. They were also 10-15 acres. It is not in the area that you mentioned. Or it could be just a homeowner that liked to garden. Doesn't sound like it. I also never saw fairies on the ones I experienced. Sorry, everyone else's posts were so nice, but thought I would warn you just in case. The innocent "help me figure out what is going on with this property" can turn into an obsession or a nightmare. Just enjoy the peacefulness and you will be okay would be my response. If not much has been found in the area in regards to artifacts etc. Don't believe it. Those kind of areas have the biggest secrets and they are kept secrets for a reason, (for many reasons) and that will not be the only property nearby with similar secrets. Listen to your eyes and ears etc... What do you feel? What do you see? Listen to your gut without "seeing" the beautiful gardens. I am sorry, I could be wrong, Please be careful. It's so similar, even the words "help me figure out this property" are haunting me. LOL. The energies are calling... They want to be noticed, good and bad. The things the ancients used to do generally will make sure the good energies always are more numerous than the negative energies, so that can bring some peace, but they are both extremely powerful. Have a great day. Hope this was ok to say and doesn't upset anyone.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-05-27)
Teriland,

I honestly have no idea why you were worried about your writing style. Your narrative was clear, detailed, and organized. You gave us a sense of the landscape through unfolding details, with special attention to the awareness of scale and scope. I do hope that someone praised your creative writing abilities when you were in high school; creative writing is not just writing fiction, it's the ability to employ unique diction to keep the reader interested in factual accounts, too.

I've met trees like him. Horse Chestnut and Oaks, mostly, but a few Maples, too. Eartholders who have endured the centuries with dignity while preserving the sense of place. (Perhaps I'm missing something, but I only occasionally get a sense of caution/mistrust from evergreens. I may be a deciduous person...?) These trees are not arrogant but reassuringly protective of their landscapes.

It's lovely to start the day with such a positive, charming mental image. Thanks.

-Biblio.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-26)
Teriland,

I'd love to read your other stories, if you're up for sharing them.

Those trellises sound incredible.
We call white birch silver birch over here. I'm a big sucker for them, we have a couple. We want to get some more eventually. A few party poopers have said we're running out of room but nah, mass plantings are where it's at!
Honeysuckle my word am I envious of you right now. A friend of ours has the large monster version and far out am I envious of him too! We've just taken a cutting from his, which is also in bloom, we did this last year without success. We placed it in a glass of water last year and hoped it would root. Apparently powdered milk works for this, I'll have to give that a try. It's probably not the best time to take cuttings whilst they're in bloom, but what the hey, they smell divine.

I wonder that too about C and the nature spirits! Just how many people out there who claim not to believe or notice a thing are really just not talking about it. I suspect there are a few. 😉
teriland1 (3 stories) (8 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-05-25)
Ha Tweed... I wish you could see my little unruly cottage garden. Your hubby sounds like he is a lot like me. I collect plants kind of like an addiction and for some reason in this little place they have taken over. I leave my honeysuckle unruly at the moment as it has grown up and over my 7 ft trellises (I used to build trellises and arbors out of white birch and sell them - Teriland was my business name:) and the vine has taken over my back garden gate too. My son grumbles when he comes home as it is hard for him to get in the gate... But he is not allowed to touch the honesuckle until it is done blooming (even then I am not sure if I will let him haha) My little oasis garden smells heavenly now. Back to "C"s garden I am thinking that since his daughter "M" and I share sensitive abilities we are more likely and lucky to see the beings there... Funny thing about "C" though he is the grumpiest, least sensitive, crabby man I have ever met! He mentions nothing of the land and it's inhabitants but I can't help but wonder if they aren't playing/teasing with him as often as they can... And he just keeps it to himself:) 😆 Thank you all again for the nice encouragment about my writing, I have a few other stories but this is the "cheeriest" one...
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-24)
Hi teriland1 welcome to Y.G.S... I just loved your story and I hope that you have more. Don't worry about how you wrote your story it is beautiful.
I hope that C will keep the grounds beautifully landscaped although he could use some easy to maintain fruit bearing bushes and trees. The fairies would love that. Also any visitors would enjoy the gardens immensely.
Thank you for sharing.
RedWolf
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
teriland1 - as I was thinking about this story last night, I couldn't help but be reminded of the Whomping Willow (Harry Potter fan and not assumed to admit it 😆)

Also, for whatever reason, the description of the animal you saw reminded me of a black sheep that is ready to be sheared. Their legs look so short compared to their bodies LOL
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
Hi Teriland,

Absolutely and thoroughly loved reading this. Thank you for sharing it and also thank you for taking the time to go into such detail. Your love for nature is very obvious and speaks volumes to what you felt and saw at C's property.
I showed your story to my Fae loving husband last night, he had a smile from ear to ear while reading and said "Yep, that's what you get."
He has a knack for garden landscaping and tracks down heritage species from historical plant societies and seed collectors. But unlike most he encourages, and even waits for, plants/trees to become naturally unruly. With the little bits of maintenance we do things tend to take care of themselves, and they really do. Our place sounds a bit like a scaled down version of C's place.
We hope C continues his current garden habits.

We, my husband and I, both grew up in and around homes which had similar style gardens and our fondness for nature kicked in early on.
Over the years I've come to believe that nature spirits gravitate and thrive in these environments. No matter what style the garden; be it formal, rustic, cottage, or a bit Gothic like ours. Wherever plants and trees are allowed to just be plants and trees the fairy folk will dwell.

I'm not sure what the black corgi looking entity is. I saw something very similar at my Dad's place once about 14 years ago. This was at night and it was on my Dad's combie van roof, it scampered away as soon as I noticed it. The combie roof has lichen and moss on it. There was mention of moss in your story, I wonder if these creatures are attracted moss. Or perhaps it's a coincidence.

My Grandmother had a large hollowed out maple. As a kid I always felt that I should avoid disturbing the hollow opening when climbing it. So now I'm very intrigued by you feeling the same about Mr Regal Tree. Though I've no clue what it means. But based on the lights which were seen around Mr Regal I guess he proudly supplies a home for some of the nature spirits. I guess, based on the description, these were kinds of fairies.

No worries about your writing, you made yourself very clear and I hope to read more stories from you soon!
Trischa_D (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
Interesting story. I've always wondered where the fairy lore came from but I decided long ago that there must be some truth to it! You did a great job bringing nature to life in your story, and I'm wondering if that spirit animal you saw is the spirit of the "royal" tree!

Looking forward to reading more of your stories:)
Take care ❤
WhiteWolf (4 stories) (147 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
I enjoyed your story and say that you are correct about the Winchester house perspective.

Fairies are mischievous creatures like trolls and goblins which are very real forest spirits they will pull pranks on humans for they dislike the destruction of nature they can become more aggressive over time with the bad energies given off by humans if the previous owners knew of their presence then that would be the reason for the flower gardens fruit baring plants it is an offering to the fairies since they love sweet fruits.

Whitewolf,
LoveOfAbundance (2 stories) (27 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-21)
A standoffish tree? I can't imagine it. Normally, they are so inviting. Oh well. That property sounds absolutely lovely. "C" is a very lucky man!
christennnc (3 stories) (15 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-21)
I never thought fairies existed and this story openned my eyes. That is really neat.
teriland1 (3 stories) (8 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-21)
Hi guys! Thanks for the nice comments:) This is my first post so was a little nervous about it. I enjoy writing but was hoping I was making myself clear. This property is just outside of Okanogan, in Eastern Wa.
Mace (3 stories) (15 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-21)
Love the way you told this story! If you don't mind my asking, what's the name of the town? I'm from eastern Washington too!:)
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-21)
FAVES! Sorry to be a wacky spammer weirdo here but I just got half way through your story and had to stop reading because I've got friends dropping by soon. I just added this to my faves and i'll read it properly and reply properly tomorrow. Can't wait!
I love fairies and LOVE trees, Teriland I don't know you but I love you!
Thank you for sharing this can't wait to read it proper.
Sorry for my incoherent jabbering!
Totally nerding out. Probably regret leaving this comment tomorrow too.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-05-21)
teriland1 - I so completely enjoyed this story 😊 Trees are some of my favorite people LOL I would love to have been able to feel the energy Mr. Tree gives off. You did an excellent job giving him life to those of us who aren't able to meet him. Thank you 😊

As for the animal (?) you saw, I have no idea so I'm not helpful at all there. But I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed meeting Mr. Tree ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: