You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Watching Closely

Real Ghost Stories

Watching Closely

 

Due to some eery occurrences, I refuse to sleep in my room. So instead, I sleep in the upstairs living room. I live in a stone-wall farm house built back in 1860. In order to get to the 3rd room (my sister's old room) one must walk through my room. At which, her light switch is in my room before her door. So coming up the stairs you enter the upstairs living room first.

One night, I fell asleep watching TV. Out of nowhere I wake up, facing towards the stair railings. I roll over to see the time is 02:55, so I check phone knowing my friends were out the night before and not knowing if I had any texts from them needing my help. When I finish checking my phone I continue to lay away from the stairs. I am about to fall asleep when I hear deep, heavy, slow footsteps heading down the stairs. At this time, I try to reorient myself. Wondering if I looked at the clock wrong, was I dreaming, what day was it, was my mom up? Then I realized, I was home alone - it indeed was 02:55 - no I am not dreaming, I am well awake. Because I have experience some horrendous things, I thought "Ohh it's just the ghost..." brushed it off. And, of course right before I was about to fall asleep, it dawned on me. I heard 6 footsteps, if one was to count 6 steps up, it is exactly eye level to watching me sleep.

I immediately jumped up, turned the light on and the TV. I did not go see what those footsteps were. The rest of the night was silent...

Now I work the graveyard shift as a nurse. The next night, my parents came home and I had to be at work at 11pm. I get ready like I usually do, of course feeling on edge after what happened earlier that morning. Everything went smooth... Or so I thought.

After getting off work the next morning, I see that I had a miss call from my mom. When I called her, she asked if I had anyone stay the night. Without hesitation I said no and asked why. She proceeded to tell me that my stepdad woke up to someone walking down the stairs and had gone to the bathroom. He didn't think anything of it, until the bathroom door opened, the dining room light turned on. Knowing the light switch is on the opposite wall from the bathroom, he then woke my mom up.

They both listened as they heard the footsteps go through every room, turning every light on. The footsteps then started going down to the basement. My parents then get up to go investigate and to see who is in their house. When they approach the top of the stairs, the footsteps stop... Everything went silent. My stepdad searched the basement anyways. They did not find anyone... Or anything.

Other hauntings by ashlcoopa

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ashlcoopa, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ashlcoopa (7 stories) (11 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-26)
Hello Bibliothecarius,
My sister left the house when I was 15, I am now 24. When both of us were much younger there was a ton more activity through out the house. Our parents did not believe us until one night something happened to my step father. I have many more stories from the years.

Hi Tweed,
I don't sleep in my room because I don't feel "safe" subconsciously, if that makes sense. Usually when I was younger I could sleep with a night light, turn on a certain side to face a certain direction, or use the tv as some noise to make me feel comfortable... There are 2 enterances into my room plus my closet. If I had my sisters door open I felt the sense of something watching me, if I were to shut it sometimes it made me feel better, but others it made the feeling worse. I even started having dreams. Once I got a little older I started researching, the more I found out the less I liked.

Thank you to everyone who has commented!
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-06)
Just an interesting aside - I heard on some program I was watching on the paranormal (one of the better ones) that stone houses have a higher likelihood of playing host to paranormal activity than houses made of any other material. They offered no explanations as to why - it was merely an observation - but intriguing just the same...
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-06-13)
Greetings Ashlcoopa.

While reading your narrative, I began to wonder, "has there been a major change in the home recently?" You mention 'your sister's old room' at one point, but there's no indication of how long ago (or recently) she moved out; from your description I thought it was at least a year ago, but I could be mistaken. The reason I was curious about major changes in the home or family is the lights being turned on, one at a time, sounds like someone searching for something. If your sister left far more recently than my initial guess, perhaps it was watching you (instead of watching her? Did she have experiences with this entity? Is that why she moved out?), then on the next night when you were not where you "should" be, perhaps this entity started to wonder if anything/anyone else had gone missing.

I admit that a lot of this is speculation, so your responses to my questions and ideas would help to clarify your experiences. I just know from personal experience that when I can't find something I'm looking for (a specific screwdriver, the fancy tureen for serving soup to guests, the spare keys for my wife's car), my OCD goes into overdrive and I can't rest until I've looked everywhere. Again, perhaps in my speculation I'm just projecting my hangups onto your entity's behavior, but turning on the lights everywhere does sound like a search pattern to me.

If I'm wrong, I won't take any offence if you tell me.

Take care,
-Biblio
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-10)
Hi Ashlcoopa and welcome.

Ok when I read that you realised six steps meant eye level to you sleeping I got so freaked out! I can't imagine what that must have been like for you.
Can I ask why you no longer sleep in your room?
Walking through the house and turning all the lights on is a pretty extreme thing to do. It's unclear if this being is nice or not. But I suspect, since you no longer sleep in your room, this isn't something you're comfortable with. Have you looked into cleansing rituals?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: