You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Must Have Been A Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Must Have Been A Ghost

 

This story happened back in October of 1996, when I went down to visit the City of New Orleans. I had just gotten out of the Army (was still on final leave) when I and a friend of mine, call him Tom, decided to take a trip to the city.

Yeah, I know most people think, New Orleans-Mardi Gras, but we decided to try it a little different time of year. Well we did the usual thing soldiers did, drank and did the touristy stuff, went to the French Quarter, visited a couple cemeteries, rode a river boat and went on a haunted tour. Now I didn't see anything out of the ordinary on the haunted tour but there where definitely places where there was a feeling of "wrongness" or that something bad had happened there. Of course that is also the mood they try to get you into anyways.

Now this was on the day we decided to do most of the tourist things, so we were pretty much sober on the tour and afterwards. It was still semi early when the tour finished, about 9:30, and Tom and I were headed out for drinks afterwards and we had heard about Jean LaFitte's Blacksmith shop's bar (think one of the oldest bars in the country, that's what made us decide to go there).

Well we headed over there and as we entered the bar we both noticed a man in a old fashioned (19th century) clothing headed across the bar. Didn't think anything of it, thought he was probably an actor in costume or something like that-except for a couple things. The bar was pretty crowded, but the man never seemed to interact in any way with anyone, didn't seem to accidentally bump or brush up against anyone. The other thing was he just disappeared, was walking by someone, but never walked by them.

Well, we both had a couple drinks before heading back into the city-and both said as we left "must have been a ghost. I'd like to thing it was Jean Lafitte himself joining us for a drink, but who knows?

Other hauntings by mrmonty

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mrmonty, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Ree_70809 (2 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-06-22)
Jean Lafitte is my many times great grandfather! I keep trying to get my sisters to go with me, see if we manage to experience anything. Absolutely love this, thank you! ❤
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2015-11-02)
Cool story! My long ago fiance (didnt work out lol) lived in New Orleans. Heard lots of stories about places that were very emotion invoking. Like a lot happened there. Heard a few ghost stories too. Doesn't seem to excite people that live there, like it's the norm.
I had an experience outside the city touring a plantation. Ill have to write about it. Thanks for sharing! I would so like to go back to that city, and explore the country some more. The above ground cemeteries are amazing! So much history!
kaykay3313 (guest)
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-31)
You guy's should have asked the bartender if they did that sort of thing their, you know dress up in old clothes. I bet people who work their may have seen him too. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: