You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Prairie Street House Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

Prairie Street House Haunting

 

For some reason, a house that my friend Lori and I used to clean back in 2005 has been on my mind lately. It was one of those quaint old two story houses that look smaller on the outside than they are on the inside; an illusion given by the fact that being basically rectangular shaped, the narrow end faced the street. It was situated at the edge of town, sitting in the middle of an expansive lawn populated by all manner of trees and a very impressive large circular drive paved with cobblestones, complete with lawn jockeys.

The inside of the house was no less impressive. We always entered through the back, carrying our cleaning supplies through the mud room and into the kitchen. I'll try and give you a bit of the layout: the kitchen held three doors, one led to the basement, the other to the back or servant's stairs, which were narrow and steep, and the pantry. The third door, was a swinging door which allowed access to a hall. On the left was a formal dining room, if you continued in that direction beyond an arched doorway was the living room, another arch and you were in the foyer. That foyer was the size of most bedrooms! It was dominated by a sweeping staircase that led to the second story. You could cross the foyer and you found yourself in another hall, with rooms along one wall. The first being a library/study (I'll be coming back to this room), the next was a half bath, followed by the kitchen door.

Upstairs were bedrooms and two baths. One was in the master bedroom, the other was situated between two of the bedrooms and had adjourning doors. Across the hall were three guest rooms. At the end of the hall were two doors, one leading down the servant stairs, the other to the attic. Our services were not required for the attic. Almost every room boasted a fireplace, both upstairs and down, and was ornately decorated with antiques.

As was our habit, Lori and I quickly divided the cleaning chores. I would start with the upstairs, and she in the kitchen. The following events did not transpire all at once, but the accumulation of them quickly led me to believe that the house on Prairie Street was not only haunted, but very active.

Week one, our first day:

I had already cleaned the first bedroom and the adjoining bath. Heading into the second bedroom I noticed I had left my duster in the first room, so I went to retrieve it. Entering the room, I stopped mid-step, because there on the bed was laid out a woman's outfit: an old fashioned skirt and high collar blouse. I frowned because I know darn well it was not there before. As I was puzzling over it, I hear Lori yelling for me and nearly broke my neck hurtling down the stairs, calling her name and if she's alright. I can hear the soft strains of old dance music playing, and she is pointing at the radio. "It turned itself on!" she gasps the words. The radio is one of those ancient affairs from the 30's, and I'm amazed it works at all. I suggest she accidentally turned the knob or something while dusting it. She insisted she hadn't touched it. "Maybe it's modernized - motion activated or something," I say as I start checking it out. I note it isn't even plugged in, but say nothing about it, "Nice music though." I extend my arms, "Care to waltz, my dear?" I say in an effort to alter her fear, and don't mention I'm getting that cobwebby, electric feeling all over me, indicating a presence. I flip the music off, and we decide to go out for a smoke and a quick break.

By the time we come back I have her laughing and calmed down. I tell her nothing about my experience upstairs. Which was a good thing, because when I went back up to finish the cleaning that outfit was nowhere to be seen. *Note: the radio played daily for us, although the owners told me that all their antiques were authentic, and not modernized in anyway.*

Other activity I witnessed over time upstairs was: a figure walking down the hallway back towards me in an old fashioned maid's outfit, a male voice saying 'excuse me' in the servant's stairwell. I saw colored lights in the hallway, but that may have been the result of sunlight playing through the stained glass windows that were abundant throughout the home. Now and then my cleaning supplies would be moved as if someone had picked one up to read the label and sat it on a counter instead of back in my basket. I often heard children playing, and the sound of rocking coming from the old nursery. Now days, it was one of the guest rooms, but it 'felt' like a child's room.

On going: the library/study

This room both fascinated and repulsed me at the same time. The people who owned the home were a lovely couple. She was a lawyer and he an archaeologist, who also taught history at the local college. This room held some of the items from his digs, I suppose, as I lack a better explanation for someone having a mummified baby on display. Entering this room I would be bombarded with emotions, as I am quite adept at psychometry (readings from objects) and an empath. The infant brought great sadness, even though it was under glass. I'd dust the pottery, arrow heads, bits of broken hieroglyphic tablets, and assorted ancient reminders and catch glimpses of times long gone, feel emotions, some good, some bad of others, that I couldn't quite sort out. Even the books that lined the floor to ceiling shelves were antiquated. Many I suspected were first editions. It seemed to me that this room was more or less a personal museum. Now and then I would catch the odd smell; a lady's perfume, pipe tobacco, another the odor of rotting meat, and some I couldn't identify. Occasionally, I would get voices. Once, I had picked up this glass vial, a lovely ruby color, and I clearly heard 'poison', and there was always a feeling of not so much being watched but observed, as if I might be derelict in my duties. I always finished that room feeling quite drained.

Lori experienced things as well, and I always strove to offer a mundane cause, mostly because well, Lori and the paranormal did not mix well, and I didn't want to lose my partner, or this account. For one thing it paid really well, the clients were thoughtful (they'd always leave us a note saying to raid the fridge, or leave a bonus if they felt there was extra mess or they wanted a bit extra done) and my biggest thing was I really did not feel we were in any danger. I tend to look for rational reasons anyway, and in this case I pushed the envelope a bit, because I knew friendly or not, Lori would not work in a haunted place. Some of the things she experienced were phantom touches (muscle twinges, I'd say), things not being where she knew she left them (getting forgetful in your old age, Lori?), feeling she was being watched (this one is good- rich folks, Lori, maybe we're on a nanny cam or something. I knew we weren't, I'd already looked for such devices).

We had been cleaning there weekly, for about 6 months when something happened, I couldn't quip away. Lori had asked for my help in putting the dining room chairs up on the table so she could give the hardwood floor a good going over (they'd had a dinner party). I said sure thing, just let me put my basket in the foyer. We were both in the dining room at the time, she figured to fetch the water while I was in the foyer. We came back to find every blessed chair already flipped up onto the table! I'm pretty sure my face mirrored hers, mouth open, eyes wide, as we stood in the puddle the bucket made when she dropped it. In a heart beat Lori had turned and fled out to the car with me only a step or two behind. "THAT was NOT my imagination!" her voice cracked and slid up an octave."That was not me being forgetful! How the f*** do you explain that!?"

I had to admit I couldn't. Not in any conventional way. I pointed out that never, ever were either of us ever harmed, or threatened, but as hard as I cajoled, or argued with her I couldn't get her to come back in. Not even after I pointed out that it was actually being quite helpful. Nope. So, I went back and finished by myself. I got the impression that whomever the spirit was, it felt bad about frightening her, and the rest of the day was uneventful. I worked there another six months solo and never saw another display of energy like with the chairs again. The owners didn't seem surprised when I told them it would be just me for awhile.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-13)
Emma and 8Ms,
I'm very pleased that you like this. That particular house will always be one of my favorites.
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-13)
Val, I love your accounts of the things you've experienced. You bring readers into the story with your eye for detail and sense of atmosphere. It sounds like you were accepted as another person who worked there and the staff kept an eye on you. It's a shame that your friend Lori was scared so badly though. You're very compassionate and thoughtful about the people who have passed on. I really like your approach. The others that had stayed on after they died must have missed you after you left that account. If they were willing to put up all of the chairs, they were willing to pitch in to help you with your work. That's amazing. Oh, and the fact that they thoughtfully put on music to make your day go by. Doesn't that sound exactly like what servants would do 70 or 80 years ago? Have a little happiness while the homeowners were away? It's one of your articles that I go back to and re-read and I've put it in my favorites.

Thanks,
Emma
The8Ms (2 stories) (21 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-13)
This ghost suggests entertainment, picks out clothes, and helps with chores? Sounds like a welcome addition to me! Throw in a little babysitting and she's perfect! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Cersed240 (2 stories) (26 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-06-18)
For some reason I always find myself coming back to this story. I love how you deal with spirits. Your ability to detail the incidents let's me picture the whole thing, every time you recount your experiences it's like being there. It does sound like some active spirits, not quite done with their job.

Cerse.
L_Melb (220 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-16)
as usual, I find myself putting in a word rather late but... Who on earth would respect a ghost hunter named "Pussy Spring" (first cat and Spring St)
Just doesn't have the right... Gravitas ๐Ÿ˜•
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-10-27)
Puff has parked the Miss Demeanor at the local park and has started smoking a Brisket... In 12. 5 hours it will be yummy, beefy goodness. Sausage, Burgers and Wings to be started later...

Ok, Ok, about the 'inner ghost hunter' name thingy... I modified something called 'Find Your Inner B****' Name... That just didn't quite fit YGS... ๐Ÿ˜ฒ however it makes a bit of sense when the names are submitted...๐Ÿ˜‰

Puff Bayram
Myst (63 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-10-25)
Congrats Val! So, to join the party, I get to be Lucky Grant-how boorring. I will bring Death by Chocolate- not only Halloween worthy, but well named.Cake,pudding,chocolate bits, whipped cream, and toffee bits.What's not to love? I will have to search out my sense of humor. It keeps disappearing and returning in the most unexpected ways and times.
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-10-25)
Welcome Valkricry! Interesting one!

RedWolf, Hahaha, exotic dancer, like a samba dancer? Lol

Let's see what my inner ghost hunter's name would be; Aurora Rio!?

Now, am I in too?

Smiles and happiness from Sรฃo Paulo

E.Lynx
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2016-10-25)
I don't know the name of my first street address. But the first pet I remember is Cinnamon and the street that I grew up on was Alice. Somehow Cinnamon Alice sounds more like an exotic dancer or scream queen name rather than a ghost hunter.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-10-24)
Val:

That sounds like a Marvel Comics superhero!: "Iron Man, Rebel Racine, and Scarlet Witch take on Mephisto and his undead horde in our next issue!"

Mine sounds like a badly-marketed children's toy that nobody wants...
๐Ÿ˜Š
-Biblio.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2016-10-24)
Thanks, Biblio!
My inner ghost hunter name would be... Rebel Racine.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-10-24)
Much as I love the party bus (I agree that a sense of humor is necessary) It's going to take a whole lot of liquor to get me to respond to "Pretty Baby Gervas." I loved that damn Budgie.

Congrats, again, Val!
-Biblio.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-10-24)
(A Double Decker bus, painted Electric Mayhem style, comes rolling up and parks at the corner of Moderator and Member, the doors slowly open and Music can be heard from the High Tech sound system...)

OINGO BOINGO (Dead Man's Party)

"I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive
Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

I was struck by lightning
Walkin' down the street
I was hit by something last night in my sleep

It's a dead man's party
Who could ask for more?
Everybody's comin'; leave your body at the door
Leave your body and soul at the door...

Don't run away; it's only me (only me)

All dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man (dead man)
Waitin' for an invitation to arrive
Walkin' with a dead man... Dead man...

Got my best suit and my tie
Shiny silver dollar on either eye
I hear the chauffer comin' to my door
Says there's room for maybe just one more...

I was struck by lightning
Walkin' down the street
I was hit by something last night in my sleep

It's a dead man's party
Who could ask for more?
Everybody's comin'; leave your body at the door
Leave your body and soul at the door...

Don't run away; it's only me
Don't be afraid of what you can't see
Don't run away; it's only me
Don't be afraid of what you can't see

I was struck by lightning
Walkin' down the street
I was hit by something last night in my sleep

It's a dead man's party
Who could ask for more?
Everybody's comin'; leave your body at the door
Leave your body and soul at the door...

Don't run away; it's only me
Don't be afraid of what you can't see
Don't run away; it's only me
Don't be afraid of what you can't see

it's only me
it's only me
it's only me
it's only me"

The Driver (Puff Bayram) jumps out, dressed in his Steam Punk Finest, and with a tip of his top hat announces,

"Come one, come all to Val's Promotional Costume Party... 3 things will get you on the Party Bus...

First: Your Name... Not your real name, not your screen name but the name of your 'inner ghost hunter'...So take the name of your first pet (becomes your First Name) and the name of the street you lived on when you were born (becomes your second name). In my case it was Puff (my first Cat) and Bayram (street name where I was born).

Second: A sense of humor. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Third: A dish for the pot luck." (one day we need to do this FOR REAL...)

Puff has supplied the Miss Demeanor, the most, Rockingest, Rowdiest, Awesomest Troll Busting Party Bus there is.

"So come one, come all, let's welcome the new Mod is style." ๐Ÿ˜†

Puff Bayram
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-10-20)
PSA - just so our newer members are aware, and as a reminder to our older members who may have forgotten or don't know, we (mods) stand by each other's decision. If you get a story returned, please do not send it via email to another mod hoping for a different opinion.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-10-20)
Thanks, Red and Tweed! I'm still reading the "how to..." instructions lol. Just remember there is a learning curve to this, or so I've heard. But, I'll try.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-10-20)
Oh wow, nice one Val! ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜

Realise I'm about a day late but this is right now new news to me.
Congrats!

Right in time for Halloween. Bonus points for bravery! ๐Ÿ˜‰
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-10-20)
val
Congratulations and thanks for becoming a moderator. I remember awhile back when BadJuuJuu left we offered our services. I wish I could have offered them now but I can't sit for long periods anymore, especially not in a computer chair.

I'll bake a couple of banana cakes to help celebrate.

Regards
Red
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-10-19)
Ah a Costume Party...I'll pass that along to Puff ๐Ÿ˜‰. I'm pretty sure we can run that jukebox of yours through the Miss Demeanor's sound system.

Respectfully,

Rook
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-10-19)
Since we're almost to Halloween, maybe that should be our theme? As for music, I happen to have an old jukebox chocked full of ghastly tunes: http://trespauzemanor.com/Ghastly%20Tunes.html Maybe Puff can blast it through the speakers?

And I've got some of my special double chocolate brownies!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-10-19)
For you Val... Puff says you can pick the music and theme... Then everyone just needs to show up with a pot luck dish...Puff's just topped off the liquid refreshments so there should be enough for everybody. Let's Celebrate our new Mod... Heck let's show them all how much we appreciate the job they do for us here at YGS...

Respectfully๐Ÿ˜†,

Rook
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-10-19)
Thank you, thank you *curtsey* Just hope I don't fall on my face ๐Ÿ˜œ
Ohhh - a special tour just for me, Rook? WOOT-Wooot!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-10-19)
Congrats Val. ๐Ÿ˜†

Shall we break out the Miss Demeanor for a Party Tour?

Respectfully,

Rook
Allicatt (5 stories) (68 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-10-19)
That sounds like an interesting house to clean, I don't know how easily I could have cleaned the room with the mummified baby. That would be so overwhelming and disturbing. Though it sounds like one of the spirits there was ready to dance. An outfit laid out and old dance music sounds like a ball in the making. Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed it and congratulations on becoming a Mod.

Best of luck and have fun.

Allicatt
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2016-10-19)
Everyone please welcome our new Moderator: Valkricry. Welcome Val. And thank you for your help and support. โค
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2016-10-19)
val - welcome aboard and hold onto your hat ๐Ÿ˜† Advice, let's see: yeah, got none LOL Sanity went completely out the window when you signed up for this ๐Ÿ˜‰ We got your back, val, and thanks โค
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-07-23)
C2C and Psychicsenses,
Thanks for reading and commenting. I'd be a liar if I said that house was not one of my favorites. I actually looked forwards to my weekly cleaning of it, and it wasn't because of the pay ๐Ÿ˜†!
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-07-23)
SDS, how are you? Ummm, I think you misunderstood what I had said. It wasn't that I didn't experience anything after I went solo, but I never witnessed another display of energy like flipping the chairs again. When I went back into the house and continued working, the feeling I perceived was one of surprise, as if the entities there collectively said, "Oh! You're back," and agreed on not doing anything that might scare me. Which is why I believe the chairs being flipped up was meant to be a helpful thing and not a display of strength. To assume something with enough energy to move and lift heavy dining room chairs, would be strong enough to hurl something at you is just logical in my view.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-23)
Sorry about the delay,guys. We've had severe heat and it just drains me.
L_Melb, Temi, and Spookie,
Thanks for reading and commenting. That house was certainly something else. Poor Lori. She never could understand that the world beyond our physical bodies is not necessarily made up of long legged beasties intent on devouring our souls. It saddens me to know, that so many believe that all spirits are demons, or at least evil. I guess that is just human nature, though; that which we don't understand we fear.
Psychicsenses (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-07-21)
Wow Val after so many days... I was indeed waiting for your next experience... You narrate in such a way that I feel all this happening in front of my eyes... Thanks... Between how are you doing?
C2C (3 stories) (62 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-07-18)
I used to clean houses too, so I could really picture your experiences. I would have loved cleaning a house like that--adding a little mystery and adventure to my daily life. You write so brilliantly, you should write books!

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: