You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Shadows Cast

Real Ghost Stories

Shadows Cast

 

Alright YGS! How goes it?

Thought this would make for interesting discussion.

I've written before of my fondness for darkness and dim lighting. About last April I was watching something on the internet. The only light in the room was from the heater and the monitor. Directly in front of me is a window with a drawn curtain. The heater is behind me, to the left, the room glows orange from the heater. As you walk around the room your shadow is cast and stretched up the walls and on the ceiling in accordance with direction from the heater.

There's the boring bit out of the way. So I'm engrossed in this show. Then a shadow, long like a person, moves along the curtain in front of me denoting someone has walked across the room behind me. Being that I'm so hardcore I look around nonchalant expecting to find no one there and indeed there was no one there. That was the end of that, I kept watching the show.

A few weeks pass and I was relaying this occurrence to a couple of friends in the same light conditions. As I was describing this, I attempted the shadow on the curtain. Except I had assumed one must be toward the middle of the room to do this. The shadow was not cast in the same manner. I moved around the room trying to find the spot one must move from to duplicate the effect. Wouldn't you know it, I found the correct spot not in the middle of the room a few feet away, as I had assumed, but directly behind where I was sitting on the evening of the shadow. Not so hardcore now, I instantly got the heebie jeebies, albeit belated ones.

I should note these were fun heebie jeebies, not the run for the hills sort. We joked the ghost must have been watching stuff over my shoulder. They so do, I'm convinced of it.

Then a couple of days ago I was reading stuff on YGS and, you betchya, another shadow on the curtain. This time it moved more to the right than it did the first time. I turned around, nothing there of course.

So, how is a shadow cast without a solid source? This I have pondered to no avail. Is it a solid apparition momentarily? Or does it's presence bend light to form a shadow on surfaces without showing from it's location in the room, and if so, how?

Has anyone else had a phantom shadow cast on a surface? Were you at a vantage to the direction it was cast from? Any apparitions, cold spots? I ain't got nothing. Also there were no sounds, no footsteps or anything like that. Aside from that it was as if a person walked across.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Tweed

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tweed, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-29)
Tweed - I meant last year, not this year! A heater in SA in January? I don't think so ๐Ÿ˜Š

Regards, Melda
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-29)
Tweed - Thanks for responding.

The shadow caster being your guardian - that wouldn't actually have occurred to me. Whatever it was, it certainly got you looking for answers!

I actually don't think that my story conjured up your shadow caster. However I do think it's possible that if somebody, like Lucia for example, reads an account which they find scary and unsettling it might make them feel more vulnerable.

I remember that earlier this year I had been reading a few publications on shadow people. That didn't frighten me but when I got up from my chair I saw a shadow on the wall. I tripped over my heater (fortunately it wasn't on) and then realised that I was jumping at my own shadow ๐Ÿ˜

Regards, Melda
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-29)
Hi Melda and Lucia,

You got me wanting to read Peter Pan now. I saw the animation when I was little, but it's never the same as reading.
I'm sure in this crazy paranormal world we discuss there's a such thing as actual casted shadow entities, and maybe this is that very entity. But I doubt that, because the being I wrote of here seemed like it was cast from behind me, not located exclusively to the surface. When I was mucking about, figuring where it was to stand to cast and move across so, the shadow I cast looked identical to what I was trying to match. From this I believe to have found the exact location. Also the strength, colour, perspective, shape, sharpness of the shadow matched my own at that angle, giving me more reason to suspect it was cast from behind.

I've long experienced feelings of ghosts reading over my shoulder while reading things here, and I believe this happens. It's also true that learning can make you more alert. I doubt that reading about a type of entity can attract it, but certainly make one more aware of their surroundings. Especially if their reason for research is on a paranormal hunch
As for reading about Vic encouraging this ghost, haha, maybe. I think it's YGS in general that gets a reaction from the ghosties. I had assumed the shadow caster was my guardian, but it could've been anyone. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-27)
LuciaJacinta - I'm not offended at all. Vic was very real and yes everything in my story is 100% true.

Supernatural beings are very much a reality, to me at any rate, probably because I've been aware of them for as far back as I can remember. I tried to shut down that part of my life but found it impossible to do so long term. Vic really was the nicest, most benevolent ghost I've had the dubious honour to know!

I'd like to know what Tweed's take on it is. Let's hope she reads these comments and responds ๐Ÿ˜Š

Regards, Melda
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-27)
Melda, I meant it in a nice way though. Hope you're not offended. Your story is one of the ones on here that you can tell is 100 percent true.

This shadows story ring true as well.

The truth of this unseen world unnerves me as it makes me question everything about reality. That's what I mean when I say, it's creepy because it makes me question everything I thought I knew.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-27)
LuciaJacinta - I am really sorry that you found my story, His Name is Vic, creepy.

Vic was a very nice, benign soul and there was nothing scary about him at all. He became another member of my household. Okay the first time I saw him I was frightened but that was because I thought he was human. I was immensely relieved when I realised that he wasn't a human with ill intent. In fact when he eventually moved on I missed his presence. During my life I have had some unpleasant experiences with the supernatural but Vic was the nicest ghost I have every known ๐Ÿ˜ Now that sounds a little weird!

I hope Tweed sees your comment and responds because I would be very interested to know whether she thinks that reading about Vic might have encouraged the shadow person.

On the other hand, perhaps this is the scenario: Shadow man reads over Tweed's shoulder and decides "hey I'm going to show her that I'm far more entertaining than that guy" and proceeds to attract her attention to prove his point.

I know that I have had some moments while sitting at my PC when I have been convinced that something was behind me, so who am I to say that you're wrong? In fact I even had something messing with my PC while I was right there.

Come on Tweed, let's have your thoughts.

Regards, Melda
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-26)
I think some stories on here are more powerful than others. I'm thinking of a few in my head right now that are just too creepy. That Vic story is one of them. It rings true. You can just feel that story in your bones. I didn't like reading that story because it creeped me out too much, not because I don't "like" it but I'm afraid literally it contains too much truth to it. If that makes sense. It's too real.

I actually found YGS several years ago when I was living in an actively haunted home. Everytime I turned this site on, I felt the negative entities in my home appear behind me. I don't think I saw them, but I felt them. It's like me reading true accounts gave it more energy. So, I had to turn the site off every time I read something that was real. I believe the reading of a familiar topic to the shadows attracted them.

As for the shadows, in my belief, like someone else said, the shadow IS the entity. Not an entity casting a shadow. But it is a shadow person. Agreed, much like Peter Pan. Which if you ever read the original story, is actually pretty creepy in parts.
roylynx (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-04)
Senhora Tweed, Oh I think I know which kind of spider you are talking about! I don't hate, but the only spider I used to be afraid of is the skull backed spider, very spooky in appearance and please don't try to google it many fake pictures and they are quite disgusting.

Wait...
What's this story about? Ah! Moving Shadows... It could be cost by spiders too, that's what I was going to say O:-)

E.Lynx
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-04)
Roylynx I think the dream catchers are symbolically modeled on spider webs, at least I've always assumed they are. Dream catchers are great.

My dislike for spiders is a little unfair, it's confined to one species in Oz called 'the white tip'. It's a black spider with a speck of white on it's rear end. It doesn't build a web, instead it roams around at night. Their bite is pretty serious. One of the houses I grew up in had a few cracks in the walls. During summer we were squishing a white tip about every third night or so. But they seem to get into every home, cracks or no cracks.

I always try to encourage Aussies to leave another spider known as the 'insey wincey' (that's it's nickname, it's really a Daddy Long Legs) They look like they'd do nothing but they literally eat all the nasty spiders, even large huntsmen (tarantula), and they can't bite humans or pets. Their fangs aren't big enough to pierce our skin. Not many Australians believe this and they squish them. But if you're in Oz and you have a lot of daddy long legs, you won't have much trouble with the dreaded white tips.

I think Miracles likes spiders too. She said something about not being afraid of catching them once. I'm not that brave!

Death In Paradise is a British show set in the Caribbean. It's a detective mystery drama/comedy thing. It used to be on before something I watched. So I'd watch the end of it, which always seemed to have a lizard in this dude's house.
roylynx (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-04)
Senhora Tweed, I personally love spiders poisonous or not they are like luck charms for me, I don't know if it is related but I use to collect dream catchers, they look like spider webs!:-D

We have geckos all around every houses, even in cities! We often see those skin colored ugly geckos not those lovely colorful ones sold in the pet shops, Henrique my cat love to chase them around and we would always see fallen tails around our house...yuck! X- (

I never heard of the Show, maybe just in Australia?

E.Lynx
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-04)
Roylynx LOL, that would be so cool having a gecko in your room. Unlike Australia every summer finding some stupid spider, erugh.
Do you have a TV show there called Death In Paradise? There's a little resident wild lizard named Harry who lives with the main character. It's an animated lizard, but it more or less steals the show. ๐Ÿ˜Š
roylynx (guest)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-03)
Oh, how did I miss this story!?

Well, as always, I do have a similar experience, but veeery different and has got some bordom.
When I was small I came back from school quite late (9-ish) since I was in a junior swimming team. I needed to do my homework under my bedside lamp just not to wake my still a little baby sister. I had to go to the toilet and at my old house the toilet was outside of the house. I left my lamp on and its night time and so my curtains are closed, from the outside I could see the light from the lamp shining through the curtain.
On my way back to the house I saw from the light of my lamp there is a huge unknown mouth of some sort of creature going "chump, chump", I thought my sister was in trouble and so I rushed up my room shouting for help.
My parents woke up and thought there was a robber, they open the door of my room, everything was peaceful and my sister was sleeping sweet... I told my parents that from the outside I saw a shadow of a huge creature. My father went close to my lamp and pointed at a tiny gecko and asked if that is the huge creature that I saw. LOL

That was my little story, but I do know of and have information about shadow person, spiritual ones of course, most have no harm, and so I think you don't have to worry too much, it could be a case like mine here lol

Happy New Year Tweed!

E.Lynx
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-03)
Augusta, no need to apologise that was one heck of a musing. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Actually there are a few out there concepts discussed by paranormal enthusiasts. I used to chat to a paranormal investigator on MSN over ten years ago now (geesh, it's been that long!) He used to say that very thing about the style of apparitions.
I really dig your heat wave theory, the heater was a factor both times. Heat is a source of energy... Wow think you may be onto something there.
If someone reports a similar shadow on here I'll sure be asking about the presence of a heat source now!
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-03)
This makes me think of Peter Pan and his Shadow:-) In that story, a shadow was a sentient thing in and of itself, which gets me to thinking... Perhaps the entity you were seeing wasn't casting the shadow but actually was the shadow. This is a 'far out' thought and I have no evidence to back anything up I'm just musing here but maybe there are different classes or orders of ghosts based somehow on how many of their living human traits are left or what senses they can still impact in the living - some are full bodied apparitions (sight/visual), some disembodied voices (hearing), some are but footsteps (hearing and touch if the vibrations can be felt), some a touch, some but a shadow... Maybe it's to do with the energy the entity can gather from its environs (based on either what is available and/or its own capacity) or the age of the spirit (does its energy fade over time or its capacity to gather it weaken). So that's one -rather convoluted and wordy - thought...

On the other hand - maybe ghost shadows are something more akin to the shadows of heat waves. The human eye can't always see air but often air currents do cast shadows. Essentially what you are seeing is energy - maybe this is how spirits cast shadows too?

Sorry for the lengthyness of my thought processes lol Good to see you, Tweed!
terranigma (9 stories) (71 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-30)
I've seen something similar a few years ago. When I lived with my ex of 7 years I used to see a shadow dash past my bedroom door along the wall of the hallway. I mostly saw it out the corner of my eye as I would be sitting at the computer which was left of my bedroom door. It moved very fast and seemed to be gliding like on roller skates or a skateboard. I've also seen a silhouette of a shadow at the foot of my bed in complete darkness. The shadow was darker than the dark of my room as I had metal shutters which I had lowered all the way down to block all light from the street lights outside my window. I always felt scared when I would see things like that in my house and would feel violated that they just let themselves into MY home.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-17)
Thanks for your input everyone. ๐Ÿ˜Š

BGP, Initially I assumed the height to be around 5'8-ish. Oddly enough the assumed height in the assumed location and the actual height in the actual location work out around the same. Perhaps had I been patient glancing around I'd have made out something, however slight. If it happens again I'll try following it in the room, rather than on the curtain, if I'm quick enough. Thing is to turn around and face it means to be turning directly next to me. I'm not *that* hardcore. ๐Ÿ˜œ

Jubeele, the account I was reading was Melda's Vic ghost. The show was something funny, it may have been a movie. I don't recall exactly what it was. But I know I was laughing. Whilst reading Melda's encounter I was quiet though. But something may have got the ghost's attention. Or maybe this is even a residual shadow. Think we'd have noticed it before now, surely. Or not, who knows I guess.

Melda, your less hospitable remark made me smile. Since this happened the second time I've been alert for it to happen again. But realistically I don't think it will be that obliging. I've thought for a long time that someone likes to read over my shoulder on occasion. Perhaps this is a way of confirming they do. That's a nice thought. Or maybe the ghost doesn't mean to cast a shadow. I wonder sometimes if some of what we experience is unintentional on the ghosts part.

On a completely different note, we think we've had a weekend of poltergeist activity. I'll write about that for YGS. All seems to be lulled and calmer now. But it's been a weird weekend. Our neighbour, we *think* must be losing the plot or having an emotional breakdown. He's a bit of a tradie, jack of all trades type. He must have hired this bit of kit for the weekend, it was a heavy duty high pressure water hose. (Very high pressure, sounds like a buzzsaw) He used it for seven hours straight today, and about five hours yesterday. That's weird in itself (his place is always spotless by the way) Today he spent hours hosing the same spot on the footpath outside. Water was going on the road, a couple of cars tooted him. He's unresponsive when you call out to him, we were afraid to approach because of the hose. I opted to call the police but another neighbour wanted to call his wife instead (his wife was out during both days)
A pretty sucky weekend for all unfortunately. If he starts acting weird again I'm calling the police. I think it's a situation that neighbours alone can't contain, and I think it was directly responsible for some (supernatural) touches and bangs we experienced today and yesterday. A cautionary tale of woe for YGS, me thinks. Christmas is a hard time for a lot of people. Think that's the core moral of this rant.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-16)
Tweed - No I definitely have not experienced a shadow as you describe.

I'm also convinced that ghosts read over people's shoulders when they're busy on PCs, laptops, or whichever device. I've often distinctly felt something behind me but of course there's never anybody there. Like you, I just continue with whatever I'm doing.

Have you encountered your shadow again? Perhaps you caught his interest for a while and he moved on. I know I've had one-off or short term visitors a few times and I'm always pleased when they leave. The last visitor stayed for about 13 years - now that's seriously taking advantage! The older I get the less hospitable I become.

Regards, Melda
Jubeele (26 stories) (892 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-15)
Hi Tweed, like BGP, I don't have any insightful, brainy theories to share with you on the physiology of shadows and their psychic compositions. But as always, I love how you paint your narratives and it's such a welcome surprise whenever I see your comments.

What I really, really want to know is: what was the show you were watching online and whose account you were reading on YGS at the time? What caught their attention?

I've read of others who had similar experiences, e.g. Reaper666343 on his house spook: "I felt a cold spot on my arm. This felt almost like someone was touching my arm and, I don't know how I know this, they were watching the youtube I was watching."
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=25056

The idea that ghosts take an interest in the stuff we watch and read gives me happy chills too.

Please stay around awhile to chat some more before "ghosting" off again, ok? ๐Ÿ˜˜
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-14)
Tweed- No no no missy. You can't nearly disappear from us for that long and then come back with this thought provoking account and not expect some kind of admonition from me! ๐Ÿ˜œ

I don't really have any mind bending solutions for you but I'm wondering about the size and shape of the shadow. I know you turned around to look, but did you look upwards as if it was an adult? Could it have been a small child/entity standing behind you and you missed it because you were looking in the wrong place?

It's always good to read your accounts and comments. Welcome back missy! โค
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-13)
Hi Rook,

I kind of bashed this one out rather quickly, forgot to include the outside shadow possibility. I think it's possible, but unlikely. The street lights light everything up nicely when it's dark. I've never seen peoples' shadows cast up the window/curtains from the street though, it's too big of a distance I think. The shadow on both times was sharp and crisp, as if from a near position to the light source. For it to be coming from outside, and be that 'crisp', I'd think someone would have to be directly outside the window. But if someone was directly outside the window, I'd imagine the shadow from the street light would be vague/blurry because the street light is further away. Or maybe street lights are strong enough to cast heavy shadows at a distance? Not sure. If there was someone directly outside the window, I'd have heard them pushing through bushes and trampling on the plants. But all was quiet.

Dark room/bright screen lol that can't be ruled out. But again, I think it's unlikely. The heater gives off quite a lot of light, it's like having a few candles lit. I like TV's and computers on a low brightness setting, less strenuous on the eyes. Both times the shadow has moved across while I was looking at the monitor, I look up (literally a few inches over the top of the monitor to the curtain) and follow the shadow to the right. It's moved steadily each time, no pause. Turning around to check behind is more or less an extension of following the shadow on the curtain. The main reason I assumed it must have come from the middle of the room is because it didn't stretch all the way up to the ceiling as our shadows tend to do when moving around the outside of the room. When I matched the position to behind the desk chair it was unexpected because it's to the edge of the room, where you'd assume the shadows would grow taller. But at that particular angle they don't, I'd never noticed this before that evening. The heater is not direct facing at that angle.

The time of day for the first one was about 8 or 9pm. On the second time it was about 5 or 6pm.

Manafon, the stupid votey thing's telling me to get stuffed as per usual, but anyway I dug your comment!
Great to know shadows appear 'normally' in other accounts. I guess it's my Earthly commonsense which demands there must be a 'source' for the shadow. But ghosts being ghosts, as you say, anything is possible. I remember BGP (I think it was) describing a shadow she saw in the reflection of a mirror. I think the mirror was in another room and I think she said there was nothing to cause the reflection/shadow in the mirror. That bent my mind, man.

Looking forward to reading your cool apparition encounter, sounds like a goodun!
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-13)
Hi Tweed - Your account reminded me of a conversation that occurred a year or so ago in the comments of someone's story here on YGS. As I remember, it was asked if a ghost is able to cast a shadow and I believe that the answer is yes. Whether the apparition is telepathic or literally occupying the physical space with a person seems irrelevant. If a telepathically sent apparition, the shadow being cast would be "thematically appropriate" and the same could be stated of a ghost who decides to pop in on you to let you know it's there.

I have read many cases where a solid apparition is seen accompanied by its shadow. In these reports the shadow appears like those cast by a living person and like a living person's shadow the shadow of the apparition is appropriate to the specific lighting conditions that are present. Apparitions often strive to appear as human as possible. So that suggests that there was an an apparition behind that apparitional shadow. Of course, ghosts being ghosts, I see no reason it couldn't have been a shadow exclusively. If the spirit's purpose was simply for you to see it, presenting itself as a shadow was still effective.

On a similar note, I saw a full, lightly luminescent apparition three weeks ago while staying at a customer's house. It was female and quickly (and silently) walked past the half open bedroom door in the room I was in and turned left down a hallway. It cast no shadow at all and truly seemed to be repeating a long ago action. I plan on writing about this incident for YGS when I get a bit of time.

Great account!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-13)
Tweed,

Is it possible that something from outside could cause a similar lighting effect or movement of shadows?

I ask because from your description it sounds as if (depending on the angle the heater is facing) that this shadow may have extended above the curtain line and just may have had an outside source.

This question may answer my first one...
What time of day did this occur?

The last, and least paranormal, of the lot... Are you sure this wasn't a case of dark room, bright screen image reaction taking place?

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: