You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Warding Off The Evil Eye!

Real Ghost Stories

Warding Off The Evil Eye!

 

Hope All's good when you find yourself reading this.

I was around 13-14 year old when I had this experience.

This happened in Lonavala, a beautiful hill station in the Western Ghats in the state of Maharashtra, India. FYI, this is an absolutely serene peaceful town with a small local population in a 15 sq mile area. Known for various lush green hills and dams that tourists throng during winter and the rainy season.

The misty lonesome paths alongside green hilly pastures and vacant bungalows (Vacation Homes) seem inviting and fear-inspiring at the same time.

Our family used to have annual rainy excursions at a huge bungalow in possession of my GrandAunt's (Let's call her GrAunt) Family who lived in Lonavala along with her husband (Let's call him GraUnc) and children.

The bungalow was placed on a Fenced in 3 acre land, with a small garden at the entrance of the property.

To the left, right and back of the bungalow was mostly a rocky, craggy land on which my grandaunt's husband used to stroll often with a whistle and a stick.

I had tagged along with him a few times during our visits there just to explore the place and feed the fish in the small pond behind the bungalow within the property.

Now, when rain washes this place out, it becomes mesmerizing, the mist enveloping the panorama, the freshness in the air, the chill from the breeze and the trees bioluminiscent with glowworms at night, the chirping of the crickets, all this just gives a magical atmosphere to this entire hill station.

As mentioned earlier, I'had a lot of fun as a kid during rains here just getting soaked, having barbecues, playing games at my GrAunt's place and just wandering around, in general.

Around 3 years since I remember these excursions, one such monsoon, we get a call from our GrAunt saying that GraUnc has passed away.

Seems he tripped on one of the mossy rocks during his walk and hit his head against another rock dying immediately.

We visited her for the last rites the same day of the call. It was late in the evening by the time all was done. So, we decided to spend the night there.

Exhausted from all the travelling and the sad proceeds of the day, I went to sleep in one of the bedrooms on the first storey of the bungalow which had huge french windows followed by an L shaped balcony spanning 2 walls of the bedroom.

Sometime after midnight, I must have suddenly been woken up by a whistling sound... From previous experiences, I'd known that the breeze passing through the slits of the french windows in monsoons producesd a whistling sound. As I checked, the window was indeed, not properly closed. I pulled it as it made a snapping sound locking itself. I went to the bathroom, did my business and came back to bed. A few moments later, there it went again; the whistle. I was baffled. However, I turned on the night lamp to find out the window that I had just closed was open again. Out of curiosity, I opened the sliding window completely and stepped out into the balcony against the rails overlooking the rocky terrain where GraUnc had died. The whistle stopped & was replaced by the sound of "Tap-Tap, Tap-Tap". Like a stick against the rocks. It was very cold outside and breezy, but the back of my neck suddenly felt as if it was burning and a shiver ran right through my spine. I turned around, there was no one there. I looked at the landscape again and the intensity of the sound increased, this time it went- "TAP-TAP WHISTLE, TAP-TAP WHISTLE".

Petrified, I Yelled, "MOM", as she came running over to check on me. Worried she asked me, what had happened? However, words wouldn't escape my mouth and tears were streaming down my face. My body was burning with fever, she said. The next morning, she took me to a doctor and we left for home, that day. I couldn't retain any food and had a high fever for a couple of days.

That's when my GRANDMA (May Her Soul RIP now) did something called DHRISTHA KADHNE/ NAZAR UTARNA/Casting-Off The Evil Eye. What she did was lit camphor and something else in a small Diya (ladle sorta brass vessel), in circular motions around my head. Tapped the soot on the diya and applied it on my forehead, back of the ear and foot and uttered a couple of HUFFS-PUFFS while doing so. While it burnt out, it emitted some weird stench and then she discarded the burnt matter outside the house.

As soon as she returned, my fever had miraculously subsided and I still remember what she told me, I said - "I'm hungry Ma, can I have something to eat?"

My Grandma hugged me and made me something I loved and all was good again.

So, I guess, sometimes, things may happen which are beyond our understanding or control or even which science can't explain. But as long you have loving parents and grandparents, they will give you the power to pull through.

P.S: Love your GrandParents.

Thank You.

- Ajay K.

Other hauntings by ajonverge

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ajonverge, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-01)
Hey Ajay, you can join Rex-T and I for our online party. I've posted an invite to all YGS on my account "Horsing Around". Bring your cheery good humour, some samosas or other Indian snacks, or drinks.
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=25171

MrRiggs, Fergie, Melda and lady-glow have already dropped by with food and drink. They have come and gone, but all are welcome to visit or return at any time. Come join us, leave a friendly line or two and have a Ghost drink with us. 😁
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-01)
Rex-T, Jubeele: Happy 2018 to 2 of my favorite people here on YGS. REX, Yes I just can't wait for the IndVsSA encounter. I was out of town at one of my uncles in Nashik. There were all my uncles aunts and their kids along with my mom for bew years. On my way back home. Should reach in another couple hours. Had a blast with food and drinks and games. I also did some mimicry for them hosting a quiz show and everyone went nuts laughing. It was some great fun. And Jubeele thank you for your kind invite for food. I wish I could join in. May be some day. 😘. Or U guys can visit us here in India if you have any plans. Anyway, u r always in my prayers. Hope this new year brings you great health, wealth and peace. Cheers.
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-31)
Ajay,

Hope the new year finds you happy and healthy.

I've only two things to say -

1. You have nothing to prove (you've already done that).
2. 5 days to go until Melda and you will be talking about SA v's IND in the first Test. Who knows I might join in too.

Sorry there was a third thing - you have mail.

Regards
Rex-T
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-31)
Happy New Year to you, Ajay! We watched the Sydney Darling Harbour fireworks on TV, munched on snacks and toasted each other with fizzy drinks. You could've have joined us - as usual I prepared too much food! 😜

Fergie (she reads Stephen King too) has recommended to me "Celestial Chess" as a good read. A reviewer has described Thomas Bontly as a better writer than Dan Brown ("Da Vinci Code").

Have a fabulous year ahead in 2018. 😁
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-31)
discerninguser: Theres no way for me to prove anything here neither do I need to. YOUR view is yours and MINE is mine. I do respect it. Theres just a possibility though. I believe u used the word MAY BE in your comment. Thats makes u unsure as well. Well if u think of it as a script, lemme kno if it can make a gud short movie then. 😉. Have a blessed new year.
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-31)
discerninguser: Happy New Year to One and All. Have an awesome 2018.
discerninguser (6 stories) (82 posts)
-4
6 years ago (2017-12-31)
Sounds like you fell asleep out of sheer exhaustion and had a vivid dream... Or maybe you were awake and just hallucinating... Anyways it sounds like a fictional story... As if you are trying hard to write a movie script... People do hallucinate when they are stressed out, you know?
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-13)
Jubeele: Thank u. I'm very glad you share my feelings about the same. Also, thank you for the suggestions of the books. Currently I'm 100 pages into The Shining. I just HAD to read it after having read doctor sleep.;)
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-12)
You boring, Ajay? Never! 😜 It's always good when different perspectives from different cultures and religions are shared in a friendly and respectful way. It helps us understand each other and also preserves the vital balance on YGS. This community is thus all the more enriched for it.

Here another interesting snippet for your notebook: do you know that Stephen King also wrote as Richard Bachman? E.g. "Thinner" and "The Running Man". 😊
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-12)
Jubeele: Hi, Hey sorry if I bored you there. It's just an awesome conversation point. And Yes I am completely anti war. However, humans have a long history to create situations leading to war. Now all I say here, if there comes a point to defend Truth and Good, and, if there's war that is required to enforce it. So, be it.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-12)
Ajay, Ajay <holds dizzy head in hands>, aiyah, you're making my head spin - that's way too profound for me!

Seriously though, I knew the Hindu epic dated back hundreds of years, but I hadn't realized how ancient those texts actually were. It has been ages since my studies touched on religious theology and philosophy. That dialogue was a pivotal moment in which Krishna explains to Prince Arjuna about the samsaric cycle between birth and death, how he needed to perform selfless acts to work off dharmic (karmic) debt and achieve dissolution of the soul. The battle was all about correcting the rightful balance between good and evil. It's humbling to know that all those teachings were handed down many, many generations ago. Wasn't Mahatma Gandhi himself inspired by the Gita and its call for selfless action?

On a separate note, it has been said that each side of any conflict will see themselves as "righteous" and "just". Each will declare that it is the "Other Side" who is in the wrong. History is often written (or rewritten) by the victors and anything deemed less than "heroic" in the aftermath tends to be quietly white-washed to preserve their "good name" for posterity.

At the end of the day, it is still a very sad day when family have to be at war. So let us all be at peace, dear friend. ❤
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-11)
Jubeele: The need for war (Karma-Yudh) is outlined in the Bhagvad Gita. Arjuna on the battlefield is depressed by the thought of having to slay his own cousins and relatives merely for the throne. Which is when Krishna the charioteer, explains to him why it must be done. It is so that the Good could triumph over evil. In Mahabharata, Good natured human beings like Bhishma and Karan and a few others are fighting on the bad side. Lord Krishna says the people who will favor evil are also evil. And so ars the people to witness it and do nothing to remedy it. Hence a Karma War needed to be fought for the good of the common people. Goodness, it gives me goosebumps imagining these things. Imagine texts of such an epic which are traced back to 400 BCE. And it has aerial warfare, nuclear warfare, teleportation and what not. It amazes me how Vyaasa could have imagined all these things which are products of the 19th and 20th century back then.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-11)
Glad you enjoyed "Doctor Sleep". It was a HEA (Happily-Ever-After), which I always prefer.

I read up on Karna - oh poor man. He was the more skilled Archer, but destined to fail. Why do people have to go to war? *sigh* And that's part of the message too. The tragic waste of life when there are good people on both sides.

Take care of yourself, Ajay. Now, what shall I read tonight? 😜
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-11)
Jubeele: Yes Just finished Doctor Sleep. Thank goodness Dan or Abra emerged unscathed. At one point I was getting a feeling that one of them would die. But they didnt. I'm glad.
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-10)
Myst: I agree I have never watched a movie which was more satisfying than the book.
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-10)
Jubeele: Arjuna would most probably be the favorite character for anyone but. Try to read more about Karna if you could. Hes the abandoned child and the eldest of the Pandavas but also, the one, fighting against them. A true warrior by skill and a pure human by character and the greatest Archer. Surpassing Arjunas abilities. But was cursed that his skills would desert him when he would need them the most. Hes perhaps one character in Mahabharata who has my deepest sympathies. Imagine a person sacrificing everything n having to fight against his/her own blood out of owing stuff to others. Thats just heartbreaking. This guy Karna he lived and died for others. Also if you are interested, the best tv adaptation is an old tv series which is available on youtube by B R CHOPRA. It may not be very superior in vfx since its old but it had an integral story of each and every character in the saga.
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-10)
Jubeele: I have missed a few days reading. But I got to the part where Danny and Abra are now not strangers. Not that I can say they ever were. But, now the story is getting into its climax. Shall check out Dean Koontz later too. Thanks. Take Care.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-07)
You're so right, Myst! BTW, my favourite story by Dean Koontz is "Tick Tock". Scarey, funny and quirky. 😜

Ajay, I did watch a dramatization of the "Mahabharata" on TV once. It took 7 hours and was shown in 2 parts. It was fantastic. I read there's a movie based on it being filmed in India at the moment, due to be released in 2020. Something to look forward to. My favourite character in the epic is Arjuna, the Supreme Archer. 😆
Myst (63 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-07)
All King's books are better than their movies. Same with Dean Koontz. (Just my opinion, of course.)
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-06)
Haha, Ajay, it's got you in its sneaky clutches! 😁 It's a pretty good read. Another favourite of mine is Stephen King's "It". The book's better than both of the movies. 😨
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-06)
Jubeele: I'm half way theough it now. N I can't put it away. I literally mean it. Its 1:40am ryt now. I need to wake up at 6am for work. But I just don't want to put it on the back burner. Yet.
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-05)
Jubeele: Thanx for recommending the book. I think to myself why the hell have I not read any stephen kings books yet. Well that's going to change now. Anyway I started reading Doctor Sleep last night. Done reading the first 50 pages already. Danny Torrance has now just got down from the bus in New Hampshire. Just getting started now. Again, thanks for suggesting the book. And guess what, Holiday declared from work, So, I just came back home halfway through. The cyclones causing stormy rains here. Perfect time for a relaxing read. Have a nice day. ❤ ❤ ❤
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-04)
That right, Ajay! The sequel to Stephen King's "The Shining" is "Doctor Sleep". I read it while travelling from London to Inverness. Reading the scary bits when the mist started rolling over the Scottish hills was spooky! 😨
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-04)
Jubeele: Also, can you please confirm if you were referring to Stephen King's - Doctor Sleep?
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-04)
Jubeele: Thanks a ton for your honest concern. Well about watching horror movies, its one of my guilty pleasures. But I particularly enjoy watching psychological horror/thriller genre. But hey, I shall definitely try to not view such movies before bed going forward.

Rex-T: Well I guess Cousin rivalry has been happening for ages. Ancient Indian literature even has the mythological masterpiece 'MAHABHARATA' based on the same topic. Its my all time favorite book. Its simply awesome. Also, man you are right. Its supposed to be winter here now and as the cyclone OCHKI is causing havoc here along the coast. This evening it suddenly started raining in Mumbai with powerful gusts of wind and I was soaked on my way back home from work. But it was fun. Sad to know that a bunch of people died in the southwestern states. Ockhi is brewing up a storm in the Arabian Sea. Govt has declared an Off tomorrow. Unfortunately I might have to go. Keeping my fingers crossed. 😊
Also, Kohli has been brewing up his own storm on Sri Lanka scoring back to back double tons. He declared the innings out of frustration or I was thinking India may have added a 100 more atleast. Anyway, for the first time in the series, Sri Lanka is putting up a fight. That mask scene was disappointing though. Wish that didn't happen. Its almost 10pm here. U take care of yourself and keep in touch.
Good Night everyone. ❤
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-04)
Ajay, at some level we are all connected. Of this we are both sure.

Your problems back then, with your older cousins and why, made me remember when Dad would pack us all up in the car and we would go over 'the other side' to see our cousins for Christmas.

My two older brothers and I would look upon our cousins as being rough and they would consider us to be 'silver tails'. This would inevitably lead to conflict behind the outside toilet and Dad would come down, face as dark as a thunderstorm to break it up.

All of us would run back to the house, pat each other on the back and have a good laugh. It wasn't until many years later that I felt a hint of resentment but hey, I've been wrong before.

I've been watching very severe cyclonic storm 'Ockhi' track up the Indian Coast towards Mumbai. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that it moves out to sea and dissipates.

Tell the other team that's playing India to take off the face masks and play cricket.

All the best Rex-T.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-04)
Oh dear, Ajay, if you're plagued by nightmares, watching scary movies just before bed isn't a good idea! 😱 (BTW, have you read the sequel, "Doctor Sleep"?)

I use prayer and meditation as part of my routine for peaceful sleep. Some years ago, my Mum gave us a few rosaries she strung together out of jade and agate beads. She even had them blessed by a priest. I keep one on either side of the bed. It makes me feel comforted, 'surrounded' by my mother's love. 😊
ajonverge (6 stories) (84 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-04)
Ann4shadow: I absolutely agree with you. I don't feel that he was trying to hurt me either. It may be just a physical reaction to shock. And Yes, from what I recollect, he was indeed unwell during that time. Thanks for reading. You be well too.

Jubeele: Hi there, I hope your sleep not disturbed by nightmares now. I have a very similar problem. And there isn't a day where I can sleep peacefully. It's nightmares almost every other day. I keep a wooden knife with a steel blade under by pillow while asleep. Mom says that's supposed to ward off evil. However, that ain't helping. Just this Saturday night, I had this terrible dream. Only thing I can remember is it woke me up from being suffocated by a black lady spirit on my bed. It felt very real and I was sweaty when I woke up. I looked around and was happy to see that it was just a dream. Well, not to mention that I had just re-watched the film -"The Shining" after midnight before sleeping. So, it may have been an effect of that.;) Anyway, yes bud, I do love my grandparents. And they will always be alive in my memories. Thanks.

Rex-T: Hey, Hope you are doing great! Thank you for reading. Ozzies seem to be in the drivers seat in this Test for sure. Well, I was kind of too young at the time to get into family arguments. However, there were certainly some nasty land disputes between GrandUnc and his cousins. However, He was always very loving to me though. And that sometimes made some other relatives jealous of me. I remember my elder cousins being mean to me and not letting me play with them. But, kids can be mean sometimes. Anyway, I only have fond memories of him. May his rest in peace. And, the "Pointing the bone" things sounds very interesting. I will google it later to get some more ideas about it. Thanks.

Shady4u: I love Lonavla too buddy. I continue to have some Under-the-Influence memories from there too after being an adult, that is.;) It is a beautiful place. Thanks for reading.

Again, thank you for everyone reading the story. In some way, by sharing each other's experiences, we share a bond that unites us into ONE. And that, in itself, is very special to me in this collage or random images overlapping every second of our existence in this universe. It just makes me feel connected to everyone of you for that split second in this space time continuum.

Be Well. Love. Always.
Ann4shadow (1 stories) (36 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-03)
I truly enjoyed reading about this beautiful, haunting place. I am going to look up Lonavala as well. I can't wait to see it.
I somehow can't help thinking that if it was your GraUnc that contact you with the whistles and the taps that he was not trying to make you ill.
I believe that at times just being in contact with the supernatural can have different affects on us... I've heard of fevers and delirium following spiritual contact or following spiritual rituals.
Maybe, and I know I'm reaching here, the possibility that maybe your GraUnc was trying to pass to you that he was in a state of fever when he went out on the rocks, slipped and fell and hit his head.
Either way, it sounds like you have some beautiful memories to fill your soul. Be Well.
Ann
😊
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-02)
Ajay, you paint such a vivid and lovely picture of Lonavala with your words. It made me want to visit the place.

I'm sorry for the loss of your GraUnc. I did wonder if you had experienced a visit from him. But then surely he wouldn't have meant any harm to you? Unless he was trying to warn you of a threat?

Whatever it was, I'm glad your Grandma was there to help you. When I suffered from night terrors and other disturbances as a child, my parents regularly burned frankincense for protection and purification. It's a comfort to be believed by your family and they take action to protect us.

My grandparents and father are long gone - but my precious memories of them live on. Thanks for sharing this experience with us. 😊

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: