You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Paranormal Experiences Related To Mind-altering Drug Usage?

Real Ghost Stories

Paranormal Experiences Related To Mind-altering Drug Usage?

 

I stayed living in Puerto Rico for maybe 5 more years after my experiences from my last post stopped. And even the first 3 years that I moved here to San Francisco, CA I did not experience anything paranormal. Until I noticed that, after I started having a regular meditation practice and also got a little bit into psychedelic drugs, some other types of paranormal experiences started happening to me. Little things happened here and there while I was tripping or when I was meditating that could be easily explained as the effects of that state, but felt still too attached to reality enough to question if they were actually real or not. Anyway, I think either one or both of these 2 factors forced opened my third eye or something and these are stories of what happened when I was sober from psychedelics or not meditating.

One night I was struggling to fall asleep, at the time I was stressed so didn't think much of it, didn't even had the sensation of being watched. So, when I got up in my own frustration of not being able to catch my sleep, I saw a figure by the end of my bed, just chilling even leaning against the wall watching me. He was very tall and broad, no face whatsoever as if seemingly made of shadow but wearing a white turtle neck sweater. I didn't even got scared when I saw him nor I felt any bad vibes or anything evil. Judging by how he reacted when I got up and saw him, he didn't know I could see him because he made a little jump-scare and promptly walked away backwards and slowly as if he still didn't want to bother me. I was glad that situation took care of itself and went back to try and sleep.

Almost the same week maybe the same month, I was having the dullest dream of my lifetime when I usually dream movie worth plots. The 'dream' felt as if I was sleeping with my eyes open, I was just seeing minute by minute of us as we were in bed: my husband spooning me and I was spooning the other me. Wait, what? As soon as I realized that, something or someone I could not see pulled me down with so much force I passed right through the bed and was halfway through the floor; maybe my downstairs neighbors could see my frantic legs trying to get out if it was possible for them. In my desperation I was swimming up so hard that I could kiss the ceiling and then fell back into the other me that was still in the bed. I 'woke' up still swimming up that I startled my husband; but for me it didn't feel as if I woke up because that transition felt so smooth that I'm not sure if it was a dream or if I was sleeping in the first place. I explain to my husband what just happened and he, the skeptic one, suggested that maybe I had and out of body experience.

The next out of body experience happened some days maybe weeks close after a nice trip I had. There was only one part of said trip that wasn't that great and it was that I got a little paranoid at some point because I thought some things were watching on us, as if waiting for one of us to do something wrong. In that whole trip I would say I was in the realm of the dead and it wasn't a bad thing; thou looking back I would actually rephrase it as I was in the realm of the spirits. In here I had hallucinations or could actually see some weird but not scary monsters, but I still got a little scared because monsters. They looked like Chinese dragons but add trippy changing colors. In the previous days that I was sober, I've been a little disappointed at a dreamcatcher I bought because it wasn't doing its job; so that thought was somewhere in the back of my head. This one night after that trip, I randomly woke up crouching on the bed to intensely mean look at the dreamcatcher. I remember I verbalized my frustration at it and then I was like 'oh here they come!' And the Trippy Chinese dragons came through the room and, as if it was everyday normal thing to do, I inserted myself back into my body. Of course, I was so confused when I came to, but at least I already knew what to make out of it since I had the previous experience which both felt very similar.

And the last notorious event was a sleep paralysis one and the scariest of my life. Note that I'm writing the most significant events, so I was no stranger to those when this one happened. In between I had some other sleep paralysis easy enough for me to reason with the scientific explanation and not panic when they were happening. But this one, even if I could still attribute it to science, it was just so darn scary and how it happened that I don't know anymore... I was dreaming, this time, of an actual scary looking monster that I never seen before. It was so big that if it were standing on the floor it would touch the ceiling maybe crouch a little, more muscular than a Dragon Ball Z character, with horns and non-human facial features. It was on top of me holding each of my wrists apart with what I think was its hands. And it was screaming... Such a repulsive noise I can't find the words to describe it, I don't even like to remember it but the sound is ingrained in my brain; and it went on for like a full minute. At this point I was telling myself 'just open your eyes already to make it stop' because poor me thought it was just a nightmare. But when I finally made sure I was awake, I couldn't see it, but still could hear that horrible scream. I tried to move to get away but couldn't because there was this abnormally heavy weight on me; recognizing this familiar sensation, I told myself that is just sleep paralysis with the added audio hallucination. When it was subsiding, I noticed that my wrists were apart in the same position that this beast was holding them down in the dream. I want to think to myself that it was all a coincidence, is just sleep paralysis and no actual demon but, who knows?

I have more experiences that I still attribute to this forced awakening, but they belong in the Psychics & Mediums website than this one. So next time I'll read you over there.

Other hauntings by alexandrapr369

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alexandrapr369, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-09-02)
Hi again Alexandra,

Thank you for the clarification. It does seem unlikely that your experiences were caused by the drugs, as too much time had passed. I'm glad you're not experiencing anything 'scary' anymore. It sounds like you might be sort of 'tuning in' to spirit and/or energy, so it's a good idea to do some research. Knowledge is definitely power. 😊

All the best ❤
Dee
alexandrapr369 (2 stories) (16 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-09-01)
Hello again everyone!
Thanks for your responses; again sorry if I'm late, seems like the weekend is a good time for me and sit in the abyss of the internet.

RCRuskin - I was thinking the same about the drug being out of your system and being fine; thou back then I was being a little more hopeful and thinking a month was enough for the so called flashbacks to end/not show up at all. Thanks for the science bit, I did not know that the reason for some people to experience a trip like 25 years after is because of changes in the brain and not because the drug remains in your body; let's see if I freak everyone out at my nursing home lol. After 2 years I'm not experiencing anything 'ghost' related but more in the empath realm which I'll detail in the other website for that; these ghostly experiences happened in between I was experimenting with the psychedelic (more on that when I answer CuriousDee).

AugustaM - under that believe is why I dared to try it and definitely seeking for answers. Thou I like the idea that the spirits and the gods are in contact with you I would love to see what science has to say about these trips; maybe the believes are right maybe they're not? ¯_ (ツ) _/¯ and to top it, they're considered Schedule I, so not even scientists can run tests, etc.

CuriousDee - all right! Time to look at my old school Calendar! Somewhere in October 2015, I was already stressed out too much, my meditation practice was there but not helping at all. And the deal breaker: I failed my midpoint review (pretty much a thesis proposal). Desperate to cope I wanted to give my meditation a boost, and also the reasons that Augusta M pointed out, I had my first acid trip around this time. I had fun so I try again somewhere in the Christmas break, my first bad trip, btw. My last trip was December 24, 2016 and I only tripped no less than 5 times in my lifetime (maybe 6 times total, I didn't count them). They all happened between these dates so that makes it like 2.5~3 months in between trips. By the end of the Spring 2016 semester is when I notice the paranormal experiences that I described start to happen; and again, they happened in the period when, in the best case scanario, the drug should have been out of my system because they happened well after my trip was gone in the 2.5~3 months period that I didn't do them. Hope this claryfies the timeline, I read back my post and maybe I could have been more specific in that part.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-27)
I think I'm a bit confused on the timeline as far as when you experienced this and the use of psychedelics. Did you use any mind altering drug just prior to this incident? Sorry for the confusion, I just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly.

Thanks again 😊
Dee
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-27)
OK. Here is what I have learned:

LSD (Acid) is usually metabolized and eliminated from the body within a month, though it can take longer depending on how much was consumed. In the brain, LSD disrupts various neural pathways responsible for perception, producing both visual and auditory hallucinations. These changes have some permanence and can produce hallucinations later in life. There is one case where a person had a trip 25 years after last consuming LSD, and apparently, this person ingested LSD only once in their life. (At least they admit to only ingesting it once.)

Some cultures do ingest hallucinogenic substances to access the spirit world, and I remember reading an account of someone in a mental hospital seeing spirits trying to enter people's bodies but being unable to, presumably because of the antipsychotics administered.

Conclusion: yes, it is possible to be haunted/see ghosts and spirits as a result of taking LSD even once. The effects can linger, hidden, in the body for decades due to changes to the brain. (Not, as some supposed, because LSD remains in the body. It is metabolized and eliminated in urine.) The visions may be actual ghosts or may just be a trip, or flashback if there has been a significant amount of time since LSD was last ingested.

So, maybe you did see a ghost.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-27)
Quite contrary to mainstream "western" thinking, many cultures believe that psychedelic drugs put us into closer contact with the world of spirits and even gods. Under that mode of thinking, the hallucinations one experiences are anything but flights of random imagination - instead they are messages from the divine or communications from ancestors etc. As so little is known about psychedelics and the paranormal - who can definitively say they're wrong?

It could be that there was significance to the content of your "trips." Given that you meditated first, it seems even more likely to me that you truly were experiencing...something!
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-27)
Alexandra, hi again. Rustkin? *chuckle* I don't live in Seattle, but I do live in the rust belt...:)

Two years should be enough for your body to have metabolized the drugs and eliminated them. Hope you don't mind if I check with a pharmacist friend of mine just to confirm that. After I check, if I have anything more to say, I'll post a followup.

I've also had things go to spam that should not have, so I check my spam folder twice a day, just to make sure.
alexandrapr369 (2 stories) (16 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-08-26)
Hello everyone!
Thanks for replying! Sorry If I'm late but the notification that my story was published went to my spam folder and only say it now.

A general reminder foe everyone is that this experiences happened well after my trips or significant meditations session, so, I was sober. And don't worry, is going to be 2 years since I last did any of these drugs.

RCRustkin - I understand, every opinion is valid

CuriousDee & Sleeping-with-steve - thanks for the science bit, I didn't know of this phenomenon. And still will look into Rook's cleansing method, thanks for the advice.

Miracles51031 - thanks for still posting my story; I was more worried that it doesn't fit the ghost website than the part of me admitting drug usage, but I already clarified how it was. And if it helps, it was acid. I have tried mushroom but that was when I said 'ok, my last trip ever in my life.'

Manafon1 - I knew of the effect well before I dared to try acid, and I still took my risk. But I don't know if this effect still happens after meditation which is what has me second guessing. I started meditating a little before I dared to trip, and even then I felt odd, like I should really protect myself in my sessions. Frustrated I tried the drug because it would 'enhance' my senses and I would catch what I was doing wrong in my meditation.

Rex-T - thanks for sharing. Sadly not much is known even now about psychedelics, definitely not for everyone. And don't worry, like I said, I stopped but some occurrences are still happening and not everything can be explained with the after effect of the drug.
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-08-26)
Hi Alexandra,

I may as well throw in my two cents worth, being a 'child of the sixties' and growing up in times where one had 'Flower Power' at one extreme and 'kids' being conscripted for tours of duty in Vietnam at the opposite end of the scale.

In Australia, not much was known about psychedelic drugs but there appeared to be no shortage of 'Test Pilots ready to risk it all'. Some paid a heavy price while others appeared to get off lucky.

Fast forward 30 years and I was requested to look after one of my staff, who was acting strangely. I found him talking to 'hairy people' in a grove of gum trees. Of course, I could not see or hear these people but I had seen similar behaviour many years before. He had recently been a Test Pilot and had not been so lucky, although he was now receiving professional help.

The other posters have all provided you with good information and I'm not here to beat you up about tripping, just please be careful. You can't keep playing 'Russian Roulette' forever.

Regards
Rex-T
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-08-25)
Hi alexandra - You definitely had some pretty wild experiences and they could be paranormal but the psychedelic drugs could explain at least some of them. As you use the term "trip" I assume you mean dropping acid. There is something called HPPD, which stands for Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder and it's the clinical term for seeing weird, trippy things like geometric hallucinations, flashes of color, afterimages and false perceptions of movement after taking a psychedelic. This can occur anywhere from hours to, literally, years after having the initial trip.

This might explain the figure of the man you saw and the Chinese looking dragons that were changing colors. It's at least something to consider. There are many articles of HPPD online if you want to look into it.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
6 years ago (2018-08-25)
alexandrapr369 - normally I wouldn't publish an account like this one where the poster admits to using drugs and having "paranormal" experiences. The only reason I did publish this one is because you said you experienced some things when not using drugs or meditating and thought maybe other members would have advice based on personal experiences. Not knowing what kind of drugs you were using at the time does prevent us from being able to be certain that your other experiences weren't caused by long-lasting hallucinations but I am not asking or suggesting you share that information.

If this makes absolutely no sense, I am trying to type this while listening/talking to my 4 year old LOL
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
 
6 years ago (2018-08-24)
Hello Alexander,

I took CuriousDees advice and did Rookdygins cleansing/shielding ritual. I am finally sleeping like a baby.

Thanks again CuriousDee for the great advice.

I hope things work out for you Alexander.
😘 ❤ 😘
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-08-24)
Greetings Alexandra,

Obviously I wouldn't condone the use of mind altering drugs. Unfortunately, it can make you second guess an out of body experience (it sounds like you did experience this though). Based on your account, it could have been sleep paralysis or something called Hypnopompic or Hypnagogic Hallucinations. These hallucinations are a phenomenon that occur just prior to sleep or upon waking. It's more common than people realize. The hallucinations can be scary, but aren't real, though they feel like it.

I would also recommend a cleansing to give you peace of mind. A member here, Rook, has one on his profile. Scroll down to Rook's Cleansing and Shielding Method. It's been used successfully by many people. Here's a link:

Https://www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155

All the very best ❤
Dee
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-08-24)
This is just my take on it, but as you mentioned psychotropic drugs were involved, I generally discount it being anything supernatural. This does not mean it wasn't ghostly, but the fact some drugs can cause trippy hallucinations, I remain respectfully sceptical. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: