You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Loud Growl

Real Ghost Stories

The Loud Growl

 

It was 1980, and I was sixteen years old. I lived in North Carolina on the army base Fort Bragg with my family. I was getting ready to babysit for the White's, a couple that lived about a half a block from me.

I arrived just before dinner and played with Adam, who was eighteen months and Lacy, who was three. Mr. And Mrs. White came down the stairs dressed to the nines and ready to go out.

"If you have any problems the number to the restaurant is here." he said as he tapped the paper on the refrigerator.

The rest of the night was uneventful as I fed the kids, and gave them their baths. I read them a story and put them to bed. Once down stairs I settled down to finish the homework that I left for later. I was startled by the sounds of keys in the door. I quickly looked at the clock and began to pack my books.

Then Mr. And Mrs. White came through the door at midnight.

She asked if there were any problems. I told her none.

He gave me my pay plus extra for staying late. Handing me a fifty he said he would watch me from the door. As I started for home, the air got cold so I pulled my coat tighter around me. Most of the houses on my side were one foot away from the woods out back. I could hear the wind pick up blowing through the trees. I tried not to think about.

The next thing I hear is a loud growl, right next to my ear. I gasped and whipped around but I saw nothing. I mean I could see Mr. White in the doorway of his house. But I saw nothing else around me at all.

I turned towards home walking faster. When the growl came again, my blood felt like it froze. I didn't dare turn around, I was to terrified. I didn't want to see what it was. I began to run and didn't stop until I hit the front door. I quickly slipped

In and locked the door. As I leaned against the door breathing hard, I waited for whatever it was to follow, but nothing happened.

With a shaking hand I move the curtain just a little and peeked outside, but I saw nothing. I went upstairs, hid under the covers and cried most of the night. I never told my family about what happened. To this day it still affects me greatly.

Other hauntings by adove

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, adove, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

The_Morrighan (2 stories) (44 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-15)
I totally understand that this would have been immensely disturbing but like comments on other posts I agree that there could have been many rational explanations. I'm a country girl and know what foxes sound like but was once walking my friends dog in an inner city park and heard a vixen screaming. Because it was out of my usual context at the time I was convinced a female was being attacked and spent an hour searching for her to no avail until rationalism kicked in.
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-15)
Adove ~ Greetings and welcome to YGS. Great site with great people.

I'm with LadyGlow on this. Any one of a number of things could cause a growling sound, even a cat... If this was a one off event I'd not let it worry me, on the other hand, if it has happened more than once that would be worrisome.

My immediate take away from this is that Mr. White is a bit of a schmuck. My experience with babysitters leads me to believe that he should have walked you home, not just watched from his door. Point of fact had anything happened to you there is little he could do to help from any distance.

I can fully understand the event still giving you the willies after all of this time.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+5
5 years ago (2019-04-13)
I'm not so sure she needs a full blown therapist over one memory. I think the op is just expressing her fear and looking for support among others that experienced the same. It's ok to be scared sometimes. We're only human. Just validating that it happened may be enough to move forward.

I wasn't there so I don't know... But was that all the happened? Never had any other paranormal events? Did you watch any scary movies that night? Did you ever babysit there again? What was the day/month?
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-12)
Welcome to YGS.

Adove - Junglecat's advice is very good. Nevertheless, it is important to consider the possibility that the growling could have a natural and mundane explanation.

You mention that it was windy that night. Can you be sure that the friction between air and some unknown object wasn't producing the growling? Perhaps the limbs of trees bumping into each other?
Do you remember if any of the neighbours had a dog that could have growled at you without barking?

When we are scared, our senses grow sharper making us see/imagine things that are not there.

I'm not saying that this wasn't a paranormal event, but, in my opinion, it doesn't seem like you have even considered another possibility than the paranormal

I'm sure this was scary but, fortunately, it didn't cause any harm at that moment, - why let it keep on harming you after almost 40 years?

Thanks for sharing.
Junglecat (2 stories) (56 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-04-12)
Adove,
I won't venture a guess at what that was. But here is what we do know. (Let's just assume it was paranormal for a moment.) It scared you. Maybe it would have hurt you if it could and wanted to do so, maybe not. We know it did not hurt you. Thus, either it can't hurt you and can only scare you or it can and was sending you a warning for being in that place at that time. There is a possibility that frightening you was the only purpose of the growl and if you continue to be scared, you just help the entity further that goal.

I just don't think you have anything to fear from what you have shared so far, even assuming you encountered a dark entity. You would continue to hear the growl if you were still being threatened. So please do not hold onto fear anymore. If you weren't safe you would already know. But if you can't logically put yourself at ease (and camomile tea doesn't help) here are some options.

Jet, black or snowflake jasper are said to be very protective stones, if you believe in crystals. You could wear a bracelet made of any of these. Quartz intensifies the effect of other stones so I often mix stones like that with quartz in my own jewelry. It adds visual interest too. I feel uneasy about a few things I have encountered this year myself and now wear one to bed every night without fail. I can only say it's not failing.

If you pray, then make a point of praying about this specifically and asking your god for help and protection against future attacks. This can be surprisingly calming, in the same way that is meditation.

I have read something on this site about creating self protection around your body. It is out of my expertise so look around here for that. Some people do it daily.

Lastly, if you are suffering from anxiety over this, you could see a psychiatrist. I assure you s/he will not throw you into a padded cell for hearing a growl one night. But do read doctor reviews before choosing one. Depending on where you live, better doctors may be working in private practice or as part of a hospital network. Where I live, they are in public health but that is unusual. Unlike the general populace, a psychiatrist can differentiate between what you experienced along with the anxiety you feel and any serious illness and help you accordingly. That said, I would only recommend you see a psychologist or therapist about this instead if they practice ACT therapy instead of the 1960's style CBD therapy, which is far more common. (Most practitioners in the field don't seem to be trained in contemporary techniques.) So in my humble opinion, a phychiatrist who is an actual medical doctor is a better bet, even if you have to wait for the appointment.

Best of luck!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: