You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Don't Let It In

Real Ghost Stories

Don't Let It In

 

This is a paranormal experience of my Mums its told in her own words and from her perspective.

I'd just started dating this great guy and as we were getting to know each other he mentioned in passing that his parents' house was haunted. He had pranked me recently about a ghost with a chainsaw in the woods so I of course thought he was bullshiatting and laughed it off. I didn't know at the time that he was actually telling the truth.

A while into our relationship we fell in love and he convinced me to move into his parents' house while they were on an extended holiday. I refused at first due to the house being old and having a pan toilet which I considered to be disgusting. He insisted that living there would be cheaper and we'd be able to save more money for a house in the future. After much contemplation I agreed and we moved in a week later. Strange things happened from the start, things moving on their own, weird sounds and footsteps when no one else was home and the feeling of being constantly watched inside the house. I immediately understood my boyfriend's apprehension and like him could only shrug it off and learn to live with the bizarreness. A year later we agreed to get married not long after the birth of my first child. I was never really afraid of whatever lived in the house, that was until this one morning where everything changed...

July 1992

It's around 5am and I'm in bed starting to doze off after sending my fiancé off to work and putting my daughter to sleep in the bassinet beside my bed. It's quiet this early in the morning, the faint glow from the street lamp outside peeking through my curtains only allows me to see outlines and shadows. I'm almost asleep, when I hear a creak from inside the house. This is normal for an old house so I ignore it and relax back into bed. A few seconds later I hear a sudden loud crash that echoes throughout the room. With a gasp I sit up muscles tense. It sounded like someone had charged at the wall like a bull and slamming their whole body into it. I try to listen for any movement over the sound of my beating heart. Nothing happens for a long time. Eventually I started to rationalize to myself; 'it was probably something falling over or a car backfiring or perhaps even the neighbours'.

After a bit more time I laugh nervously and tell myself it must have been my imagination. I lie back down, trying to go back to sleep. A few minutes later as I'm beginning to relax it happens again (BANG!). With a shout I leap out of bed, grab my baby, close my bedroom door and cower in my bed. I'm curled around my daughter, breaths coming in gasps as I try to calm my crying baby who clearly senses my terror. I stay there listening to the loud bangs that occur around every 15 minutes, praying that whatever it is doesn't come in. This finally ends when the sun starts to rise.

From then on I begged my fiancé not to leave most mornings but I knew that we needed the money so that we could move out of that nightmare house. This occurred not once but many times throughout my residency. I always hated it when the darkness crept in and the ghosts slithered out of the shadows.

Other hauntings by SammyToucan-

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SammyToucan-, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SammyToucan- (4 stories) (11 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-10-28)
Hi Tweed
Haha, yeah possums can be rowdy buggers. They sound so creepy and they love running across roofs. Mum doesn't think it was possums though but I guess you had to be there to know. She just felt that something wasn't right there and wanted to make themselves known.
SammyToucan- (4 stories) (11 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-28)
Hi AugustaM
I asked my parents and they describe a pan toilet as like a toilet seat with a steel drum inclosed underneath. It had a door in the back of it and every Friday a guy would come and remove the waste. He would then dispose of it at the sewage farm. My parents hated it but the house still had it because it wasn't connected to the town sewer. My Dads parents were promised that the line would be connected but it wasn't until the early nineties. They only got a flushing toilet then. (They were too cheap to buy a septic tank).
When they told me about it I thought it was gross! Lol.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-10-27)
Haha I looked up pan toilet too. I think it's one of those hole in the floor squatting affairs. But I don't understand why a home in Australia would have one on account of being an old home. That's very random indeed.

SammyToucan, you've probably thought of this but possums make the most ridiculous bangs trying to muscle their way into a new home. If your mum hadn't lived in an older home before she probably never encountered an alpha male possum posing as a drunk wrestler. I grew up old homes and all of them had possum problems. Like extreme loud banging in the wee hours. Including dropping from great heights, like chimneys, onto the roof. Must be a dominance ritual, they're bloody wrestlers I tells ya.
Got a funny feeling you'll disagree, but I really think this was a rowdy possum. 🙄
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-10-27)
Ok this has little to do with the main thrust of this account but I can't help it, I'm stuck on it and can't get past it - what's a pan toilet? I googled it and couldn't get anywhere and I just can't take being stumped!
Whodat (42 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-10-16)
Okay so we can rule out noises from the attic then, since there is no attic. With all the strange stuff happening, I'm sure there's more to it than physical phenomena. I thought I'd throw that out there just in case.
SammyToucan- (4 stories) (11 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-10-15)
Hi Whodat.
My Mum says the noise came from the walls not the roof and it was very loud and made things shake. Plus the house has no attic as most houses in Australia don't. It does have two chimneys in which one was used while the other was covered up. These chimneys were on the other side of the house from their room though. There was of coarse noises from being an old house, my Mum also grew up in an old house therefore she has expereienced the shifting from temperature changes in houses and normal age so she knows what these noises sound like. But this banging was very loud and purposeful. My Mum was very sceptical of the paranormal but there was just so much stuff that happened in that house that had no reasonable explanation.
Whodat (42 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-10-14)
Of course I have no idea what happened to your mother in this instance because I obviously wasn't there. However, I live in an old house, built in 1890, and I've heard similar, unexplained sudden loud sounds in my house, and I found a physical, natural cause for them. About a year after I moved in, I would be startled these loud crashes seemingly coming from the attic, which is huge, but I couldn't tell for sure. I would sometimes hear one bang and sometimes two or three, spaced a few seconds apart. They happened while I was alone at home, so I didn't say anything to anyone about them. Well, when the weather finally cooled down, I ventured into the attic to hide some Christmas presents and figured out the source of the bangs. You see, the inside of my house was modernized by the previous owners. The sheetrock I see on the ceiling is not the original ceiling. The original ceiling is wood and is about five feet above the new one. Also, no fireplace chimneys are visible inside the house and none stick out of the roof. Imagine my surprise then, that when I went into the attic, I saw the remains of three big brick chimneys up there. They were falling apart, and bricks were lying all around on top of the old, wooden ceiling - the one I can't see from inside the house. Apparently, as the old mortar deteriorates and the temperature cycles from hot to cold in the attic, the old chimneys are falling down brick by brick (or sometimes by clusters of bricks) and when the bricks fall onto the wood, they make a very loud and frightening sound. I'm not saying this is what happened in your mum's case, but sometimes sounds are caused by perfectly natural, explainable phenomena.
SammyToucan- (4 stories) (11 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-10-08)
Hi virulentpeach,
Yes, the man in the story that my Mum moved in with is my Dad. No, I wasn't the child that was born in this story, that's my older sister. I was born a year later.
virulentpeach (12 stories) (40 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-10-07)
For clarification, is the man in the story whom she moved in with, your father? And were you the child who was born in this story?
SammyToucan- (4 stories) (11 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-10-04)
Hi lady-glow.
My Mum says it happened about every couple of weeks. My Dad had already left for work every time it happened so he didn't hear it. She was scared to stay there at night on her own. But there was many other paranormal things that happened in that house. I have other stories from my Dads point of view that I've uploaded that tells of other experiences in the house.
Thanks for reading!
SammyToucan- (4 stories) (11 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-10-03)
Hi The_Lost_Voyage_11.
Thanks for clarifying for me.
No, she never did find out the reason behind the odd occurrences. She thinks the house may have been built around 1920-30s. It used to be two units even though the house is not big at all. My Dad knows that there used to be a school across the street. But they have no idea if anyone died in the house. We have not looked into the history of the house though. They brought the house sometime in 1960-65 and strange things happened from the beginning.
SammyToucan- (4 stories) (11 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-10-03)
Hi lealeigh.
Yeah I probably should have explained it better but it is a story of my Mum's. I wasn't even born then lol. I've just started writing these stories and I'm still learning how to write. It was easier for me to write it from my Mum's perspective, I wrote this with her telling me what happened. 😁
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-10-03)
Hi Lady-glow,

I'm sorry. I figured it out with help from The_Lost_Voyage and I do apologize for not re-reading the first part.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-10-03)
Oh, Lost_Voy has already clarified this point while I was typing my comment.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-10-03)
Lealeigh.

Although the narrative is written in the first person, the OP has established that this is their mother's experience.

"This is a paranormal experience of my Mums its told in her own words and from her perspective."

SammyToucan.

Was this the only day your mother hear this particular noise? Do you know if your father and his siblings ever heard this sound?

Your poor Mom must have been afraid having to stay alone in the house.

Thanks for sharing.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-10-03)
Wow.

The_Lost_Voyage,

You are right. She did say that. Now it all makes sense.

SammyToucan,

I apologize. I did say that it could be a reading comprehension problem on my end. I re-read much of the story but I didn't re-read the first line. Also, I was interrupted about a thousand times while reading. I'm sorry.

- Maria
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (238 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-10-03)
Hi Lealeigh, if I'm reading the OP's first line correctly, this story is actually her mothers and is told from her perspective, although I admit the way it leads in in a little confusing.
To SammyToucan-, did your mom ever find out anything that might have happened on the property or in the house to explain the odd occurrences she experienced there? Great story, if your mom shed any more light on it, I would love to hear!
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-10-03)
Hi SammyToucan,

At the top of the story it says that you are a "young adult". That description only applies to members who are below the age of 40. I am 39; so you must either be my age or younger.

In July 1992, I turned eleven years old - yet you say that you were already living away from home, with a daughter and considering marriage. I think there must be some error here - if it is not with the story, it must be that you somehow entered your date of birth wrong when you created your profile. Maybe, it's a comprehension defect in my head - meaning: I could be reading this incorrectly.

I dislike being "that person" and a born-nitpicker; but I just want to know and the temptation to ask is just too strong.

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: