You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Uncle Roy's House

Real Ghost Stories

Uncle Roy's House

 

In the mid-1970s my Uncle and his family purchased an old house located outside of Boston in a town called Newtonville. Although I don't remember the exact date the house was built, I know it was around the late 1700s. The date had been painted in black on the chimney as most of the houses in this historical neighborhood were. It had two staircases; the first being in the front of the house and the second in the back. The one in the front was very narrow and steep.

We would visit my Uncle on occasion and there was something about this house that I, as a child, just was uncomfortable with but could never put my finger on.

My Aunt and Uncle helped out with the Boston Ballet at the time. Both my cousins were ballerinas, which for an 8 year old girl was the coolest thing ever. They invited me to come to a performance of Sleeping Beauty one Friday night in November. I was then going to spend the night with the younger of my two cousins, who was 11 at the time. Although I wasn't thrilled with sleeping at the old house, the opportunity to be at the ballet and with my much cooler older cousin was much too good to pass up.

That night I dressed in my best dress and headed to the Wang Theater with my Uncle, Aunt, and cousin. I got to go back stage with them and witness the dancers getting ready. I was in awe. After the performance and then dinner, we headed back to the house. My cousin and I changed into our nightgowns and got ready for bed.

I remembered I had to go ask my Uncle something so I headed down the back staircase into the living room. It was dark and very cold downstairs, with a little light coming in from the upper hallway. Once I realized I was alone in the living room. I turned to head back up the stairs. Off of the living room was an alcove that contained a grand piano. All of the sudden I started to hear what sounded like a man moaning. I froze in my tracks. Thinking it was my Uncle trying to scare me (as he knew his home gave me the creeps), I whispered, "Uncle Roy?" The moaning continued.

At this point my eyes had adjusted to what little light there was. I leaned down to see if my Uncle was hiding behind the piano, intent on catching him trying to scare me. There was no one there. Then I heard my Uncle upstairs in his bedroom speaking to my Aunt. I completely froze in sheer terror. If my Uncle is upstairs then who or what is behind the piano?! Finally I mustered up the courage to go up the stairs. I don't think my feet even touched the ground. I told my Uncle what had just happened and he did not believe me. I did not speak about this again until a few years later, in fear of being ridiculed.

A few years passed and my Uncle and his family moved out of that house. I asked him if he remembered what had happened the night I joined them at the Ballet. He said he did, and that he definitely felt now that the house they had been living in was haunted. He relayed the following story...

There were times when objects in the house would disappear only to reappear in other places. There were odd noises at night and the attic door in my cousin's room would be closed at night, only to be found open in the morning. Then my Aunt and Uncle made a terrible decision. They decided to use a ouija board to contact whatever spirit might be in the house.

They started off by asking a few questions like, who are you? Did you used to live here? Then the planchette kept moving to "Good-bye..." My Uncle kept pushing with the questions. Apparently this ticked off whatever was there. The room became extremely cold and the air turned heavy and oppressive. Suddenly their German shephard dog, who was outside at the time, began to howl. In fear of waking the neighbors as it was pretty late, they dragged the poor dog into the house. They sat in bed and read the Bible until the early morning hours when the bad feeling finally went away. They never messed with a ouija board again and advised me to stay away from it if I were ever tempted.

Once in a great while I'll run into my Uncle at a family gathering if I'm back east and this story always comes up. He still reminds me to stay away from the ouija board. I'd have to say that is pretty sound advice!

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Jennifer40

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jennifer40, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
Hello Jennifer40,
I think the most interesting aspect of the story is the fact that whatever Spirit your Uncle and Aunt had tried to converse with simply did not want to talk. It kept telling them goodbye, and your Uncle just kept asking questions.
It reminds me of the times when the children come to me when I am half asleep to tell me something and I ask them repeatedly if it could wait until the morning. They keep it up and finally, in complete exhaustion of the situation, and aggravated that they will not stop, I will say something to the effect of "Come on guys, let Mama rest!" and I feel guilty about it for the rest of the time I am awake.
I would say that the entity was more "put off" than evil, but then, they know how it FELT to experience that night.
I would have to say that this house really does sound as if it were haunted, even if your Uncle did not want to admit it at first. 😊 But then, who amongst us really want to say that?
Thank you.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-28)
Jennifer40,

Wow, this story gave me chills. I am not sure why, but as you describe the planchette continually moving to "Good Bye", it gave me chills, I have goose bumps right now on my arms.

Regardless, whatever was (or is) in the house certainly would only communicatte when and if it wanted to.

Glad to hear the only thing you did have to deal with was the noises (although I am certain they were quite enough).

thanks for sharing!
God Bless!
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-28)
Something was there, and it was very intent on making it's presence known. I couldn't see anything but I could sure hear it. 😨 I will never forget that as long as I live. They may have experienced more than what they were telling me but I'm not for sure.

I really did not like that house at all. Over 30 years later and thought of it still makes me shudder.

Jennifer ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Oh 😨!

Are you saying there was actually something behind the piano? Why do I get that feeling that your uncle chose to tell you half the story? I mean, I get the feeling that something more happened during the ouija incident or even after it.

Well, that's the problem I have with ouijas; not only do you get more than you bargained, but you can never rest assure you won't get more in the future.

Thanks for the story Jennifer

😊 ❤
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-27)
Another great story Jennifer. I think your uncle was a pranckster himself but in this situation I think you would be terribly upset if you saw your uncle behind the Piano. My sister and brother liked playing tricks like that on me when I was a kid. I had to sleep with the light on until I was 17 😁. I wonder who lived in that house. It for sure had a long history in it. The ghost might have been somone who lived there. I wonder what would have happened if you did look behind the piano? I bet you being that young and seeing a ghost would scare you to death! But I think you did the smart thing and ran upstairs. Who knows what was behind that piano. I really liked reading your story Jennifer and honestly they are one of my favourites. Keep them cooming. I hope to hear from you soon and take care 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: