You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Uncle's Mean Friend

Real Ghost Stories

My Uncle's Mean Friend

 

I hadn't intended to share another story right now, as I have 'Window View' waiting for approval. Two coming out at once seemed excessive, but for some odd reason I'm feeling a nudge.

First a bit of history. My father's family were caretakers of a very old cemetery in Kentucky for all of his growing up years. He and his family dealt with death and the supernatural daily to hear him talk (rarely done but oh wow can he tell some doozies). He left to join the military, and his oldest brother stayed on and are still caretakers. The position seems to be passed down, although I don't know entirely how that works. We never had a lot to do with my father's family, except his youngest brother, uncle Ralph.

My mother used to call Ralph a 'devil worshipper' as well as other things that weren't so nice but she didn't forbid him to come around or stop us from visiting with him. He had an apartment outside of Antioch, California. The front was a quiet street, but the back was a huge open area that lead into the hills just outside of the old Somersville area, just a stones throw to Somersville Road, up to the Black Diamond Mines.

I am giving you location, because if you read Father Knows Best, you know that area is very... Active. Actually Rose Hill Cemetery is rather famous, which I didn't know until I was writing Father Knows Best, but it makes perfect sense given my experiences, and especially my brother's experience.

Anyway, we kids, there were 5 of us, used to spend a day at my uncle's place, roaming around the hills, getting 'lost' for hours only to turn up at dinner time or as the sun set. We'd always have to crowd in to my uncle's bathroom to wash up before dinner, and it was a melee, I mean 5 kids, ages 8 to 16, were bound to be rambunctious while trying to get clean. I look back at that time and laugh. We probably made more of a mess than got clean, but it was fun.

Anyway, me being a girl and younger, I was smaller, so I was always the last to get cleaned up and that meant I was the last to get dinner. I was tired of that and I thought I was being clever. Instead of struggling to get to the sink where my brothers were jockeying for the soap and water, I turned to the bathtub, thinking to wash up there. The curtain was closed and I pulled it aside and just about jumped out of my skin. Sitting in the tub, stained water up to her chin, was a little girl, younger than me, perhaps 5 or so. I yelped, and my oldest brother came over and shoved me aside, to my shock he reached down and turned the water on, not paying the little girl any attention at all. I started to yell at him when all the sudden she and her dark stained water were gone. Of course I was last to dinner that night again, but I didn't care because for some reason I just wasn't hungry.

All that evening I kept seeing movement out of the corner of my eye, and later that night, as I sat and brushed my hair, I saw her standing in front of me. She was very frightening to me. Not because she was an apparition or that she was nude, but because of her appearance. She looked bruised and broken. There was dirt and blood smeared on her skin and her hair was matted with a mix of the two. I screamed and my uncle came in from where he and my 16 year old brother were out smoking skunky smelling stuff (now I know MJ but at the time I didn't have a clue). To my surprise, he addressed the girl, "You're not supposed to scare the kids." That was all he said, but the girl vanished in the blink of an eye.

He took my hairbrush from me and began to brush my hair as I tried to crawl through his chest. When I asked who that was, he said it was a friend of his playing a mean trick and that if I saw someone scary again I was to tell him right away, but I was okay now, I was safe.

I said okay, but when I got back home I told my mom I didn't want to go back to his house because of his mean friends. When I told her about the girl my mom looked like she was going to breathe fire, but she agreed, and I never went back. It was about 6 years later that my mom broke all ties with my Uncle. We didn't see him for more than a decade after that. I can't say I'm sorry about that. I agree with my mother's decision about not allowing me to go back. Had it been me as a mother I wouldn't have allowed ANY of my children to return to that place or visit my uncle again.

I don't know who or what that girl was, and I never asked. If anyone would like to hazard a guess I'd really like to hear about it.

I also don't know why I feel a nudge to tell this story as I'm not seeing any value in it, but maybe someone will relate.

Other hauntings by MaggieMay_Not

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MaggieMay_Not, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-28)
MaggieMay thank you for the additional information. I feel like I have a theory regarding the little girl, but it would sound disturbing too. I'm not sure, I hope I'm wrong anyway. Hoping you will share your theory when you get a chance.
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-03-28)
Curious_Dee - Thanks for commenting, and yes, my uncle was very much into darkness. I have trouble with Satan in the Christian sense, but definitely darkness and evil. About the way he was with the girl. My brother once said that uncle 'owned' a demon. Years later he passed it off as him joking, but as it was during the years he was an 'understudy' to my uncle, I sort of doubt it. My uncle was distinctly not a 'nice guy.' In fact, he was about as far from nice as you could get and still be human. He was a predator and saw only his wants and needs, and didn't really care about anyone, anything, right, wrong, morals or ethics. The only reason he had anything to do with us kids was to satisfy those wants/needs. A Need for easily controlled acolytes, for followers, and for satiation of desires. I didn't know it at the time, but now, in hindsight, I know it all to well.

Enough said. He was NOT nice. About the Oiuja board. I've seen it mentioned a time or two, and here is the thing, my uncle scorned that kind of thing. He laughed at it. One Christmas someone, a neighbor I think, got us one, and my uncle laughed so hard at it. Said it was a good game, and to have fun with it. My brother said that it amused my uncle to no end because tools were only as skilled as the user.

Hope I answered well enough. I am off to work again. Might not be back for a day or two.
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-28)
AugustaM - I apologize for the delayed response. I have been out of town for work. I have never actively asked for or looked for information on that girl. My uncle has passed on and my mother refuses to discuss anything about him. Over the years I have formed a couple of theories about that girl, the first is she was an entity of darkness - and yes, I have learned from my brother that he and uncle were practicing satanists, performing rituals up to and including blood sacrifices. My uncle could do things no normal person could, I have seen him asleep on the couch, and I've seen him at the same time, standing on the porch watching us. I've seen him turn off lights from across the room and I've watched him hold fire in his hand. These are not just my frightened childhood memories, they are memories shared by several people in my family. There are many such stories, and until my brother found his Christ and redemption there were many about him as well. I will not go any further than that. The second theory is much more disturbing if you can believe that, and I will discuss with the mods before I post the information that will change the whole perspective on this.
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-28)
Wish-Not - Sorry for the delayed response. I've been out of town for work and just got back. Looking back, at the drama and the gore and theatrics involved, yes I think this entity did want to frighten the daylights out of me. I don't know if that was it's motives. There is a whole different side to this that I am hesitating to add here because I've been uhm... Scolded? For oversharing or crossing the line as what is acceptable to share. I wonder if I should ask the mods before I post that information.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-03-27)
I can't help but wonder about your Uncle and his nonchalant way of dealing with the little girl. You said your mother called him a devil worshipper. Do you know any more information about your Uncle? As far as, was he actually involved in satanic practices? Did he use a Ouija board? How would you describe your interactions with him? I mean no offense, I'm just wondering if he was a "not so nice" kind of guy.

It sounds like your mother had an inkling that something was wrong besides the MJ issue. I agree, it didn't seem like a good idea to go back there. Thank God for awesome mother's 😊 ❤
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-27)
Wow! I wish your mother or uncle would have given a bit more information about that girl - it seems fairly clear that they both knew a lot more than they were telling you. It is possible that she was killed somewhere in the vicinity of your uncle's house and he had seen her spirit before. Maybe he talked to spirits when he got high. Maybe he used a Ouija board. Either way, seems as though your mother got wind of it and didn't approve. Or maybe your mother's disapproval had more to do with the 'MJ' use with her children about and her 16 year old taking part than any possible paranormal or occult dalliances on your uncle's part.

Given that the girl wasn't wearing any clothes, dating her apparition won't be terribly fruitful. But you could pull records of disappearances in the area for a period of years before you saw her - the local library or court house should help. If you are no longer in the area, you could phone a local newspaper or try a Google search using area specific key words. Let us know if your find anything. Maybe the nudge means that some development has occurred in her case - could be that you might be able to find out who she is now.

Your experiences are fascinating - please share more:-) And keep us posted if you find anything.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-27)
Maggie- Thanks for sharing this one. With all the experiences I've had I've learned that some entities are just plain MEAN. One of mine, "The BIG One", this entity just loved that it scared me as much as it did. Certainly sucks when we come across these.

It appears that possibly your uncle had a discussion with this entity about "Not" scaring you or your siblings. I'm glad you didn't have to go back.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: