You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Uncle Dusty Wanted To Talk To Me

Real Ghost Stories

Uncle Dusty Wanted To Talk To Me

 

This experience I'm writing about today happened not only to my daughter Sarah but also to myself. Her father and I didn't work out and we split before she was even born but I remain close to his family. His only sibling was a younger brother, whom I was particularly close to. Sarah stayed with her grandparents very often and Uncle Dusty had recently moved back in also. Sarah was 7yrs old when this happened and this day will stay with all of us forever in a terrible way. November 3rd, 2008.

Sarah and her uncle were lying on the living room sofa watching TV. When the show ended she asked for the remote but got no answer. She ran for her grandma but it was too late- Dusty had died of a drug overdose just minutes before Sarah realized he was unresponsive. He was 27yrs old.

The questions we still have today is what exactly happened? His job required drug testing so he was obviously not a drug user. He died of an overdose of blood pressure medication, so his death was ruled as a suicide but we all are certain that he was not suicidal. And something else also convinces us that something was off was the fact that he would never, ever, take the risk of his only niece being the one to discover him. It simply doesn't make sense but that's the only answer we have, is that he committed suicide.

Well, under the circumstances his body had to be sent for an autopsy so we didn't get to bury him until a week later. It was only a couple days after his death, though, that Sarah woke me in the middle of the night. I followed her across the hall to her room to find nothing but her closet door open. She was puzzled and said, "Where did he go? He came out of the closet and kept pointing to his head and then pointing towards your room so I thought he wanted to talk to you." She said that his mouth was moving like he was talking but she couldn't hear him.

I took this as a dream, because she was understandably still very upset. I got her back to bed but next is what I myself saw in her room a couple days later.

I had gotten up in the night for a drink of water and on my way back to bed I glanced in at her as I passed her room. I froze and just looked for what seemed like an hour but was a minute at the most.

Uncle Dusty was standing over her, one hand on his heart and his other hand on her heart. I had a profile view and it was unmistakably him- well over 6ft tall and thin as a rail. I could even see his ball cap he was never without. But... He was formed entirely of what looked like silver glitter. It was so bright I couldn't believe it wasn't lighting up her whole room but somehow it wasn't.

She was sound asleep and after a moment of me watching, I quietly went back to bed. Silly, I know, but I almost felt like I was intruding, maybe? Does that even make any sense to anyone?

*some of these stories have also been submitted to a very few other websites, under my middle name Renee, just in case anyone was to stumble over one of them- it's a different name, but it's still me!:) *

Other hauntings by Mandee

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mandee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Mandee (9 stories) (20 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-10)
Hey, guys, it's Mandee, wanted to let y'all know that Dusty's birthday is coming up in February so if he makes any kind of appearance to comfort anyone on his special day, I will post an update!
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-03)
That's a good point, Manafon - I guess I just had the fear of the gods drilled into me by my previous job that if we were caught anything that we didn't have a scrip for, we'd be fired. I wouldn't doubt anyone now who suggested it was an empty threat.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-03)
Hi Augusta - I just read your comment about how Dusty wouldn't have taken any drug that might have meant losing his job to drug testing. The drugs scanned for in standard workplace drug tests are THC, cocaine, PCP and opiates. Some companies expand that to include things like methadone, benzodiazepines, oxycodone and Ecstasy.

The drug that was found in Dusty's system was Clonidine, which is a drug prescribed for high blood pressure and wouldn't be something tested for, whether he had a prescription for it or had it given to him by an unknown third party. Just thought I'd chime in. One thing is for sure, Dusty's story is truly tragic!
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-03)
What a terribly sad event with a truly beautiful post script so to speak. Seems like Dusty really loved his neice. Maybe when he appeared pointing to his head, he wanted her to make sure you knew she had seen him and that he was ok or that he was thinking of you. Or maybe there was something he wanted her to remember.

Reading over the comments, maybe it's just my cynical nature but I don't think Dusty's mother's suspicions seem entirely unreasonable. It's an awful thing to think but the pieces do rather fit... Especially given his drug testing at work - that leads me to think that he wouldn't have knowingly taken any substance knowing it could mean his job. But perhaps there is nothing to be gained by your dwelling on such things - either way, it seems very much as though his spirit has found peace.
Mandee (9 stories) (20 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-01)
Priya-
I never considered the idea about getting whacked in the forehead with a pack of cigarettes the same day he died but maybe you have a point. Maybe he was apologizing, lol! After all, he was pointing to his head and then pointing towards my room.
As for Sarah dreaming anything that particular night, I honestly never asked and she never mentioned any kind of dream matching what I saw.
He makes himself known in several different ways, sometimes I smell his cologne and then my hair is tugged at gently immediately after I recognize his familiar scent. I remember once also I was bending over in my back bathroom to put away folded towels underneath the sink and when I straightened up and glanced at the mirror I saw his reflection behind me for a split second.
Unfortunately I've never seen him as clearly as I did the night I saw him in Sarah's bedroom, but his mother and I shared an experience together. We were lying on her bed watching TV at about 10pm one night and to my right was a wall of white sliding closet doors. Out of nowhere she and I both looked in that direction at the same time and we saw clear as day his shadow cast on the white paint. It was like he just sauntered by, taking his time and checking us out.
We often laid there in the same position, same time of day, etc., and that only happened once so it was definitely not a regularly occurring shadow or we would have seen it many times.
priya- (1 stories) (19 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-27)
- in one of the posts, Mandee replied - "
The last time I saw him alive and with his handsome smile was earlier that day, while he was throwing a pack of cigarettes at my forehead and yelling, "Think fast!" when I came in the door. I just don't understand what happened and it's killing my heart to not know!
"
I could not get this part. I mean, does this have anything to do with apparition pointing to head? Sorry, if I sound silly; actually I'm studying such paranormal incidents, symbols, gestures and possible associated meanings.

- I could not find answer for Manafon1's question -"Did you ever ask your daughter if she recalled having a dream of her uncle the night you saw his apparition with one hand on his heart and one on hers?"

- Mandee, please let us know, how do you or Sarah see / feel Dusty checking in time to time - in shadow form? Smoke form? Face expressions - like sad, happy, neutral or like searching for something or with urge to tell something?
Mandee (9 stories) (20 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-16)
Thanks for getting back with me and I see what you mean about him just checking in from time to time. That's also my impression but I do understand his mother's anger and denial. And remember, this was 9 years ago. He occasionally makes himself known but not nearly as much, so I think he's ok. He just wants to make sure we're ok too! 😊
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-16)
Mandee - There are a few (but very few mind you) cases where a deceased person does attempt to point the finger at someone who caused their death. However, I am unclear what insight you are asking my opinion about?

Are you asking if I think it's possible Dusty's wife could be responsible for giving him the Clonidine? I have no way of knowing but what I suggested in my last response was that with all the various issues and responsibilities that Dusty had that I could see someone suggesting the drug, which is often used to treat anxiety, to help him through the rough patch he was then in. I don't think there was any ill intent by whoever potentially gave him the Clonidine.

It seems from reading your account that Dusty has been hanging around a bit because his death took him by surprise and he wants to "check in" from time to time. I can't pick up anything in what you have described seeing him do as an apparition that would suggest he is symbolically trying to suggest he was killed. It seems like his visits have been out of affection and nothing more.

I certainly don't want you to discuss anything you are uncomfortable with but if there is compelling evidence that his wife would be capable of engineering such a death by suggesting he take more than the prescribed dosage, that would be way outside of what I could speculate on.
Mandee (9 stories) (20 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-16)
Manafon1- This is Mandee, and I added a few things I was reluctant to share at first that are relevant to his death. I hesitate to write anything about this, but his ex had access to the medication, as she worked in a nursing home. Empty bubble packs were found in his truck and bubble packs of meds are usually- not always- found in nursing homes and/or hospitals. I don't know what to think, but his mother especially is convinced that it was no accident and that may be why he still hangs around. What do you think? Do you have any insight on this particular nasty part of this whole situation? Please let me know what your opinion is, and please remember that I would never accuse anyone of such a thing. I'm just relating exactly what happened, only fact. I don't know if I share his mother's viewpoint or not. I want to believe it was an accident but what if it wasn't and he's trying to tell us that?
Mandee (9 stories) (20 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-16)
Thank you all for your kind comments, and please check out my updates on my other story about Dusty and please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for any advice or comments!
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-16)
Mandee - Thanks for your response and clarifications. Is it possible that Dusty got the Clonidine from a friend or acquaintance after hearing something positive about its ability to treat anxiety (one of the things its prescribed for) and tried to "self medicate"? If someone he knew gave him the drug it wouldn't be surprising that they never came forward to admit it.

I imagine the truth of the matter will never be known but considering he had recently split up with his wife, maybe he thought the Clonidine would help keep him calm and focused. Just a thought. So sorry for your family's loss.
Mandee (9 stories) (20 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-12-16)
Hi, it's Mandee, and I'm pleased that my story has been shared with people who appreciate it, so thanks so much!
The autopsy report showed heart failure from an overdose of Clonidine, but he wasn't on any meds at all and no one else in the home was on that medication. There was nothing else wrong with him at all, his heart just stopped. And let me tell you, he was a very healthy person, he was the foreman of a crew of 16 doing construction work, and he had spent many, many summers traveling all over to build homes for the Habitat For Humanity program with no financial gain for himself, volunteer work only.
He had recently moved back in with his parents due to a split with his wife, but it was becoming more amicable and they had a son, who was 6 at the time, and he and his ex were in the process of setting up a visitation schedule. So it's not just because of my daughter but his son also that we don't think he was suicidal. But unfortunately, that seems to be our only answer, we just have to accept it- that's all we can do.
I just wish I could see him one last time, I never got to tell him how much I loved him. The last time I saw him alive and with his handsome smile was earlier that day, while he was throwing a pack of cigarettes at my forehead and yelling, "Think fast!" when I came in the door. I just don't understand what happened and it's killing my heart to not know!
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-16)
Manafon - I got myself a little confused! I replied to you on Mandee's other story re Dusty.

Regards, Melda
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-16)
Melda - I just read your interesting comment for Mandee's account. Your thought that Dusty might have forgotten he had taken his medication and then taken it again, causing an accidental overdose, seems like a strong possibility.

I wanted to clarify that when I suggested the possibility that Dusty was pointing at his head and then Mandee's room to convey a message to Mandee, that I don't believe the apparition assumed Sarah would know what his hand gestures meant but that by passing on what she saw that Mandee might. As Dusty's mouth was moving but there was no sound, it seems that the apparition was potentially becoming a bit frustrated that he was unable to convey his message clearly. The hand gestures could have been his attempt to suggest that his death was caused by something brain related. Often when a person (and we can assume an apparition) refers to themself non verbally with hand gestures they point at their body and not their head.

Of course there could be many other possibilities but finding out what the results of the autopsy were might be illuminating. Hope you check in soon Mandee.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2017-12-16)
Mandee - What a traumatic experience for a little girl to discover that she was lying on the sofa with her uncle and he was no longer alive 😟 My condolences on Dusty's untimely passing - it must have been horrific for all of you.

I don't know whether Dusty suffered from high or low blood pressure but I have suffered from high blood pressure since the age of 33. I now have my own blood pressure monitor and can do a test whenever I feel that it isn't normal and can treat it accordingly. (I have to self medicate to an extent as these days it swings between high and low.) There have been times when I have forgotten whether I've taken my medication or not. In those instances I haven't taken the medication just in case I'm repeating because a double dose can be extremely dangerous. I suspect that something like this happened to Dusty. If for example he was suffering from low blood pressure, took his medication, forgot that he had taken the pills previously and repeated the medication, it could have led to his death. Sad but true. Many people don't realise how dangerous a high or low blood pressure condition can be, especially when they're young and expecting to live "forever".

Do you think that perhaps Dusty was telling Sarah to tell you that he was saying hi, you were sleeping and he couldn't attract your attention? On the other hand it could be as Manafon said and that he was explaining that his death was caused by an aneurysm. Then again, Sarah wouldn't have understood that and to be quite honest, I don't think I would have either. It could mean a number of things which probably only Dusty would know.

One thing is for sure, Dusty loved his niece ❤

Regards, Melda
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2017-12-15)
Mandee - Seems like it could be a possibility that Dusty died from an accidental overdose of blood pressure medication. Depending on whether he was taking medication for low or high blood pressure, his death could have been from an aneurysm or from his heart stopping.

As your daughter told you her uncle was pointing to his head and then your room maybe this was to let you know that he died from an aneurysm. It seems that an accidental overdose is likely as Dusty was watching tv with your daughter and wouldn't, as you put it, want her to be the one to find him deceased.

What was the cause of death according to the autopsy? That might back up why the apparition was pointing at his head. Did you ever ask your daughter if she recalled having a dream of her uncle the night you saw his apparition with one hand on his heart and one on hers? This seems like a possibly symbolic representation of the bond he felt for her.

As far as you simply going back to bed after witnessing Dusty's apparition standing over your sleeping daughter, it is regularly reported (and I have experienced it) that a person's energy can be drained after having a paranormal encounter. One of the best night's sleep I ever had was after my deceased mother paid me a visit one evening.

Thanks for sharing your two intriguing accounts here on YGS.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: