You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Sometimes They Come Back

Real Ghost Stories

Sometimes They Come Back

 

My grandfather died from complications of having a stroke about ten years ago. After having the stroke he was unable use the left side of his body. He spent the last year of his life living with family members. He would spend a month at my house and then the next month at my cousin's house.

Because of the stroke, my grandfather sometimes lost control of his urine and bowel movements. When my grandfather lived at my house, we would always reserve a set of blankets and pillows for him. After his death, we packed all his belonging into the basement.

Two years after my grandfather died, my brother-in-law and other family members came to visit us. My sister was in charge of finding enough blankets and pillows for the guest. She went down the basement and found my grandfather's blankets and pillows. She had forgotten that they belonged to my grandfather and retrieved them for the guest.

The lucky person who got my grandfather's blankets and pillows was my brother in law. That night he slept on the sofa in the living room. The next morning when I woke up at 7am, I noticed that my brother in law was already awake. I asked him "did you sleep well" and he responded "not really".

My brother in law stated that he slept pretty well until about 4 or 5 in the morning when he was awakened by some slight knocking and rubbing at the doors to the bedrooms of the house (my house is a ranch and the bedrooms are attached to a hall in front of the living room). He could tell that the rubbing was coming from the farthest bedroom door down the hall and he just ignored it. Then the rubbing moved to the next bedroom door and he thought to himself that this was strange. Finally it went to the bedroom door just in front of the living room.

Sunrise was just beginning to set in and my brother in law said he could see the living room area very clearly. What he saw next would forever change his mind about ghosts. What he saw was an unknown old man standing in the hallway looking at him. He tried to get up but his body felt heavy and weak. He tried to yell out but all that came out were whispers. He tried to convince himself that it was just a shadow but in his mind he knew what it was.

The old man walked into the living room to where my brother-in-law was sleeping and stood next to him. My brother-in-law next felt his head being slightly lifted and the pillow being tugged at by an unknown force (my brother-in-law did not feel hands or fingers). It was at this time that my brother-in-law began screaming at the top of his lungs (in his mind).

What came out were a series of grunts that were heard by another family member who was sleeping on the other sofa in the living room. That other family member yelled out to ask if my brother-in-law was okay. At that exact moment the pressure lifting his head disappeared and the old man standing next to him dissolved into the air.

My brother-in-law remembers everything very clearly that morning and remembers even seeing the other family member getting up and calling out to see if he was okay. I showed my brother-in-law our family photo album book and he confirmed that the person he saw was my grandfather (my brother-in-law never met my grandfather when he was alive). I feel bad for what happened to my brother in law and feel bad that he now refuses to spend another night in my house.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hungaryhyena, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
I figured as much! I assume they have to draw energy from somewhere to manifest if they can't get it from the air or equipment nearby.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-17)
Excuse me, please, hungaryhyena, but I see that faerielike has posed a question that I would like to address. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello faerielike.
My opinion to the question you asked is yes. There are those who CAN and DO drain our energies. That is why it is so important when conversing with ghostly Beings to arm ourselves with Protection BEFORE trying to make contact.
If THEY are the first to make the contact, that is a bit more tricky, but then place the protection as soon as possible.
But that is just my opinion, there are probably a lot more out there.
Thank you, Autumn
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-17)
I enjoyed you story! It poses a question for me though... To anyone really. As we all have heard, ghost draw energy to manifest. I wonder if maybe sometimes they draw the energy from our bodies, making it hard to speak/scream/call out, and even make it feel as though we cannot get up, or the pressure on the chest. What do you all think? 😕
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Wow this was a very intersting story. Thank you for sharring it. I am very sorry that your uncle passed away. I guess he wanted a better look of his granddaughters husband. Maybe he never met him and was curious who he was. Just a theory. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-02)
Thank you hungaryhyena, for sharing your story with us, it was very interesting. Why don't you try an experiment. Let someone else use Grandpa's pillow and blanket and see if he comes to claim them again. If he does then he don't want his things used, just get rid of them and the haunting should cease. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
Sarah (1 stories) (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
Hi hungaryhyena,

Don't feel too bad. It's not like you were aware that this would happen to your brother-in-law. It can sometimes be easier for the dead to appear to strangers than a close family member. This is not because they love you any less but because they fear it would upset you, their loved one, too much.

Maybe his visitation did have something to do with his old blankets being used but I think what's more important is that your brother-in-law heard him makes noises outside all of the other bedrooms first. Possibly he was trying to make his family aware that he was close by. Having roused no one from sleep he appeared to the one person in house who wouldn't have been overly shocked. He probably knew that this person would no doubt relate his experience to the rest of the household come morning and as a result your family would come to the inevitable conclusion that it was your grandfather.

Remember him in your prayers.

Sarah.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
I suppose your grandpa was mainly 'annoyed' by the 'stranger' being in his house much more that having his sheets and blankets being used to provide another man comfort for the night. I don't suppose the rest of the family has ever experienced anything similar.

Your description of your son-in-law's head being lifted by an unseen force comes to indicate that Grandfather was curious enough to approach him and try to make out the facial features of this strange man he had never seen before.

I don't think your son-in-law should be so discouraged from spending another night there-he should introduce himself the next time, though.
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Aww, your poor brother-in-law. Your grandfather really didn't want him sleeping with that pillow!
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
You brother-in-law may not sleep in your home again, but I bet he doesn't sleep well anywhere else for quite some time. An experience like would rock his socks. If your grandfather felt proprietary about the blankets and pillow, do you think he's down there in your basement with them all the time?
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
You are absolutely right, some times they do come back.

The blanket and pillow apparently had an attachment for your grand father as they were a source of warmth and comfort while he was in your home.

Have you or any one else encountered him in the home? I hope he has been able to move on to peace with our Lord.

Thanks for sharing!
God Bless!
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Welcome to the site, hungaryhyena. Thanks for sharing this intriguing incident. I am curious if anyone else had slept in the living room before this without your grandfater's blankets, and what they experienced--if anything? Thanks.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Well, I would have to say "can you blame him" I would have packed that night and left.
Has any other things happen in your house?

Thanks for sharring

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: