You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Unwelcome Ouija Visitor

Real Ghost Stories

Unwelcome Ouija Visitor

 

In 1989, I was 23 and in college. I had a roommate, who is still a great friend. We lived off campus in a 2 bedroom apartment in Duluth, MN. I was curious, and still am, about all things paranormal, so my girlfriend at the time (who did not live with us) and I experimented with my roommate's Ouija board (a board his grandmother had given him for Christmas of all things when he was 11 years old but he had never ever used) one night when my roommate was gone.

Much to our mutual surprise, the Ouija board worked almost right away and answered questions in a prompt, coherent fashion. We were both more fascinated about the mechanism of the Ouija itself then we were about what questions we asked it so we ended up asking a bunch of mundane questions about our futures that I don't remember the specifics of too well.

I do remember that the entity we contacted appeared to get angry when we asked if it was telling us the truth (the planchette would move MUCH faster and more forcefully when it was challenged, as well as a feeling of anger in the air). It emphatically denied that it was telling us any falsehoods. The anger would fade almost right away once we got back to asking questions that did not challenge its veracity.

After a few hours of this, two kids unprepared to actually deal with the oracle they had sought in passing ran out of things to ask. We thanked the entity for the answers, but contrary to the instructions that came with the board (which I didn't read all the way through until later, I can't believe that I was ever so impetuous) we did not really say goodbye and close the session properly.

Needless to say, there were subsequent issues. This thing did not leave after the session was over as we assumed. It stayed on, and at first it was low key. Looking back I assume it was building its power up and/or learning its restrictions. My roommate and I would both have feelings of being watched a lot, especially if we were home "alone". Over time the feelings were mixed with more and more "creepiness". One bright spot in all of this was that the entity did not seem able or willing to leave the confines of the apartment. It left all of us totally alone when we were not inside the apartment where the Ouija board was used.

One late night (around 2:00 AM) my roommate came home from his job and saw a bright blue light (large screen T.V. Bright type of light) coming from our living room window (our apartment was the upstairs of a 2 story building). He thought that was odd, because I was away visiting my parents that weekend. He went inside to find no more light, but the old feeling of not being alone was there.

On another night, my girlfriend was sleeping over. We were both startled awake simultaneously by what I can only describe as pure terror for no reason. There was no sound, no sight of anything to wake or frighten us, just the uncontrollable feeling of the purest, most powerful sheer terror I have ever felt.

We were both totally paralyzed with fear for 30 minutes, unable to move or speak. Looking back, the only way I can explain how it might have accomplished this is by using a powerful terror thought form that it sent to us as we slept. Through the terror, we could however both sense that the entity was in our room and pacing around the bottom and left side of our bed slowly. We both felt that it was pleased and entertained by what it was doing to us, almost like it was gloating. After a half hour or so of this, we both felt the entity leave the room (it left us alone the rest of that night) and the terror slowly bled away.

Needless to say, the girlfriend spent A LOT less time at my place.

After that night, I was very much afraid of whatever it was, and I had the feeling that things were going to get worse if I didn't do something. This event is what got me to start praying to God regularly (something I continue to do even now 19 years later).

After doing some research, I got the Ouija board back out (by myself) and closed the session from about 4 weeks before according to the instructions. After that, things quit getting worse, but that feeling of being watched was still there for both my roommate and I. Multiple times a day I started to say out loud that I was thankful for the entity's original response to my summons and for answering our questions, but that it was no longer welcome here and that it had to go back to where it came from. Every once in a while, after saying this, I would get the vague feeling of resentment for about 10 minutes or so.

The feelings of being watched started to be less intense over the next couple of weeks and occurred less often. I was still afraid most of the time I was at home though. Then, one day, I was sitting in my bed and I got the feeling of being watched again. It was particularly strong this time, and I could even sense where it was in the room, over by the window. Something in me snapped, I guess I had had enough of being afraid all the time in my own home and all the frustration and anger that had been piling up for weeks under the fear this thing was heaping upon me came to the surface all at once.

In a haze of rage, it's like I jumped out of my body and onto this thing. All I could see in my mind's eye was two powerful fists attached to Popeye like forearm's pounding on this thing that had been tormenting me for so long. My fists were pounding with huge force on what looked like grey mist, but I did not get a very clear picture. As it was being viciously pounded on and lunged upon, it retreated. It's like I pounded on it for miles and miles (literally), projection raw rage that I could not control onto it. Then, in less than a second, I was back in my body and the thing was gone, never to return.

As a side note, I am not an anger management issues kind of guy; this was a one time event. Who knows, maybe my guardian angel projected a rage thought form onto me to give me the strength to get rid of my unwelcome friend as I had been praying for.

I learned some big lessons out of all this, not the least of which is that Ouija boards are NOT toys. Ouija boards should be shunned, they are effective tools that open up doors to places we do not understand and invite random things into your life. As my story attests, it can be MUCH easier to open a door than to close it, especially if what came through wants to stay here. I have learned that higher beings usually have better things to do than pander to an Ouija summons (like answer prayers or interact with you directly if you seek them while astral projecting), so it is mostly dead people that have not moved on or lower beings that will answer your Ouija invitation. Be careful what you search for, you just might find it.

I have explained all the details I can recall here, but if you have questions feel free to e-mail me. I have another story I will post later about something totally unrelated that happened to my brother and I when we were very young in an OLD house we lived in then with our parents.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hoochler, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-20)
granny-You are so right. And the reason the governement allows certain things to keep being sold, is because it makes a buttload of money off of the taxes on them.

Ok, I'm done with the politics. LOL 😆
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-20)
Hoochler: Great analogy... Cigarettes and alcohol are things that continue to be sold, too, and there is a plethera of evidence that points to those things being bad for not only those who partake, but others around them... I think you're right in saying the manufacturers don't give a crap either way, and it wouldn't matter how much evidence was produced, they still would continue to be sold to the public...
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-20)
Hello Spider

From what I understand of talking to spirits in general, the Ouija board just being one way to do that, any form of divination is basically an invitation for interaction with a spirit. The board comes with instructions that basically lead a person in how to invite a spirit into their life and then interact with that spirit. If someone follows those instructions, chances are a spirit will come, and almost always the types of spirits that answer a random Ouija invitation are evil.

The big problem with how the Ouija board is almost always used is that the person using the board does not have a pre-existing relationship with a good spirit with whom they can safely interact. The way things go with a typical Ouija session is that the board users make a blanket invitation to any random spirits that may be listening to come interact with them, and it is exactly this sort of thing that hosts of demons are waiting in the wings to pounce upon: a legal invitation to come into the life of a living person.

Invitations to spirits can also be made through our thoughts and actions over time, but there is nothing quicker or more clear than a direct, verbal invitation such as is made during a Ouija session.

The Ouija boards sold in toy stores are cheap to make, are not illegal to sell and people are buying them which provides a profit for the board's manufacturer. The people running the company making these boards either don't believe the boards really work or even worse, that the boards do work and they don't care what troubles their customers bring into their lives.

The devil's biggest victory in this fallen world is deceiving most people into believing that he and his demons do not exist. I imagine that the manufacturer simply does not believe.

I think there are petitions out there to get Ouija boards banned. Again, most people don't even believe in Satan and his demons and most politicians only want to be re-elected and they shy away from looking stupid by trying to do anything about a marginal issue that most people don't even believe exists.

Stores sell matches and lighters that cause horrible fires all the time, but they keep selling those. A dabbler using a Ouija board is a lot like a pack of matches being used by a child, it is possible that good things may result (to talk to good spirits) but without any prior planning before use and when not taken seriously, using the board will almost assuredly start something really bad that quickly takes on a life of its own that will get worse over time if it is not stopped quickly.
SpiderZA (2 stories) (81 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-20)
Hi there Hoochler

Glad you came back to YGS.
I just wanted to know, what do you think makes it so easy for spirits to come through via the Ouiji board if its a thing that's sold in toys-are-us?
I'm from South Africa and I have never even seen one, never mind in a toy store...
Surely there must be something else working with it as well for it to be so powerful? And if it is, how come no one has signed a petition or something to have it banned?

Awaiting you response

Spider
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2010-11-25)
There was another YGS thread started by someone else where the comments ended up being directed mostly towards me, so I thought it best to divert that discussion (which hopefully is almost, or already is, done) here to this thread so that the other discussion could start to be about the other guy's story and not me.

Jitow, I can see that you are sincere in your efforts to get me on the track you believe is right and I appreciate that.

I reiterate, I do not want to discuss this publicly with you. If you want to e-mail me, we can discuss this at length in private if you want. My e-mail address is in my profile.
Kirsten_pax09 (10 stories) (72 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-10)
[at] Hoochler: I wanted to talk to you again about Metatron. I recently read something disturbing from a ancient source. I wanted to email you if possible. Anyhow... Hope to hear from you?
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-11)
That sounds like it would've been scary and annoying at the same time. You must have been really stressed out at the time if you had a hard time even getting any sleep! I talked to you through e-mail and you're really nice and thanks again for the great advice! I'm sure you'll read this at some point and I hope you have a good day. I do think you learned an important lesson out of this bad ouija experience and that was how to become stronger spiritually and learn to defend yourself against a negative entity attacking you. Just trying to look at the positive in a bad situation. ❤ 😁 ❤
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-29)
I'm sorry to see you go Hoochler. Take care and hopefully we'll see you again
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-29)
Not that anyone in particular will care but I thought it to be polite to say goodbye before I disappeared from YGS.

It has become necessary for me to take at least a year off from posting on this site.

If anyone wants to e-mail me, my e-mail address is in my profile and I am still available that way. Goodbye everyone.
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-08)
I am glad to read that you are re-thinking using a Ouija board, Sammi.

You are quite welcome for any help I may have provided.
sammi (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-08)
Wow, that's crazy. Yeah, I don't want to open any doors that I can't close and honestly out of all the comments I got on my story about not using an Ouija board yours is the most convincing. I do want to play it and try to contact spirits of loved ones but as you said I don't want to invite someone into my house that is deffinetly not wanted. So with that being said I don't think I'll use mine. Thanks for everything... 😉
- sam
-_Syeetaque_- (5 stories) (109 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-22)
I think you have learned from your mistakes... STAY AWAY FROM OUIJA BOARD... What came might not go back...
Never attempt an encounter with a spirit...
CHR0NiKA13 (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-22)
well that was creepy lol I totally qet chu tho as for my own experience I know quiji boards ARE NOT TOYS! And even if they do stop sellinq them that's still not qoinq to be the end. People will make them as I did and they work and haunt you jus like the real thinq.
ranger (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-23)
i have my own experience on this one way back I was in college, the board works out alright, I was a non-believer by then but as soon I'm convince the glass was doin on it's own without any help I was so surprise and excited.

I do believe a lost soul near to the place will be contacted even if you are calling out another, a female soul who she says she died close by contacted us but during this another manage to come thru, a very demanding one, asking us to open the window, the door, even tho you're asking other questions it would insist on this, until we ask who it was it spells E, F, C, L,R when we know it's going to spell Lucifer, we told it to stop but just kept spelling, look among ourselves and ask who is his most rival and it spells the word GOD backwards DOG! That time we say it stop but still would insist us to open windows and doors until we decided to quit and break the glass outside. We are kept for hours talking about what happened for hours that night.

Ritual is say pray Our Father without the Amen with the pariticpants with their finger tips join on the base of the glass turned upside down on the board, a fire light would be needed, lift up the glass a bit and place the fire under until it's off, smoke trapped inside the updown glass on the board and then start.

Whatever happen or the board says, DONT FOLLOW, IT WOULD BE INVITING IT INSIDE YOUR HOUSE,, remember that
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-17)
I for one agree with you Hoochler that Ouija boards are not toys!

Now, let's see what happened in that old house so long ago...
pondering (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-17)
I loved your account. While reading it, I kept thinking: that poor grandma... If she only knew... 😆. Glad you figured out "if all else fails; read the directions" for this case. I completely agree with ouija boards being very unspecific about what you're dragging in.
As for your next account, can't wait to read it!

P.S.: Thanks for the added pep talk as well on succubiluv's comment page 😁
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-05)
It is ironic that it took such a dark event to spark my spirituality.

Back in those days I was agnostic (not atheist anymore as I had been as a teen, I had learned enough in my early twenties to know that I did not know what was going to happen when I eventually died). It bothered me that I had such a limited grasp of all things spiritual, and I realized this lack of direction could and probably would have a negative impact on my life (and possibly afterlife if that existed). Since I was a physics major, I decided to start using some of the scientific methods of theory and experimentation I was learning in college to answer my big question "Is God real or was the concept of God created to control people via religion?".

The whole reason I was drawn to the Ouija board was because it was a concrete, in your face way to talk to a spirit (it didn't matter WHAT spirit or what they said, I just needed one that could move the planchette and spell words). Since it was (and still is) sold in toy stores, I figured it was harmless too.

My thoughts at the time were... If the Ouija board works, then spirits are real. If spirits are real, there is a very high chance that souls exist. If souls exist, that means I have one and there is a God so I better get with some sort of program to have a relationship with God.

After my experience "fighting" off the thing out of my body, I also became interested in (but nervous of) Astral Projection.

As my story attests, the Ouija board did indeed work. Not only did I instantly turn to God for help with my Ouija mess, but I turned to Him for a relationship as well because of the results of this experiment. Just to clarify, I am not now nor have I ever been a part of any organized religion. I am not trying to recruit anyone for anything. I just pray to God on my own and that works great for me.

If for no other reason than that I developed a relationship with God, I am thankful for this experience (that I will NEVER repeat). If you read this and are searching for answers about God yourself, I suggest you NOT try the Ouija board, try to learn astral projection instead. That would have been a safer (but slower and harder) way to answer my question as well.

Hopefully this will explain why I didn't really care about what the board said. Also, it is my hope that my story can also serve as a cautionary tale to dissuade others who might be curious about Ouija boards as ChrisB mentions.

Hullabulu, I have read a lot about Ouija boards since, and it is not uncommon for the answering spirit (s) to say they are Satan. I think the spirit that says things like that is looking for a reaction, they want to instill fear.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-04)
Hi and thank you for sharring this story with us. What you went through was a very stressful time and that spirit indeed didn't seem to be a happy one. I now understand that know now that the ouji board is no toy and that using it maybe very dangerous. I indeed liked reading your story. I hope other pewople who WANT to use the ouji board read this story. It would be a great warning. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Hullabulu (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-03)
I never really want to use a ouija board in fear of what happened to you. Although once I heard a story that some men were fiddling around with a ouija board and they asked it's name. The answer was:...Satan... 😲 😲
Astral184 (1 stories) (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
As it has been stated here previously, those 'ouija boards' are dangerous contraptions, I am glad you are ok, but to me the 'occult' is an area best left alone! Regards, Astral 184
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-01)
That must have been frightening. Now, I'm even more afraid of ouija boards. There has only been one time that I have used one, but I was young and with a group of girls and nothing came of it, thank goodness. Since then, I have never used one, and I'm glad that you too have decided not to. And it's funny that you weren't even interested in contacting the spirit. You were just curious about the board itself. It looks like you got more than you bargained for.
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Thank you all for your supportive comments.

Dan, you are probably correct about the rage not coming from my guardian angel. More like it was there within me already and I lost control of it when I lost the abilty to use my body's brain while I was astral and fighting it.

Luvparanormal, I do consider my self a brave person in general, but in this case it was more like a cornered rat lashing out at its tormentor when it had a chance. Funny thing, since I did not even really understand at the time the theory of how or why a Ouija worked, so we never asked any questions regarding the identity of what we were talking to. I assumed (wrongly) that there was a designated Ouija thing that answered eveyone the same, like a service I guess. Pretty stupid idea looking back.:-)

KimSouthO, yes our guest did not appreciate having it's word challenged. That was my first clue that it might be up to no good. At first it was rather pleasant.

Lilblackpom, you are right about it not being a good idea to rely too much on what a Ouija board tells you. There are those, however, (myself included) who are more curious about experiencing the Ouija board as it works than in anything it has to say.

Oglegan, I am glad I am not the only person that has displayed rage against a paranormal presence! I kind of thought (later) that maybe these kinds of entities are like bullies wanting to pick on people who are afraid instead of having someone to pick on who fights back at every step. I know a little about thought forms, if you want to know something about them, try going here...

Http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/t/thought_forms_how_to_program_and_use.html

And here... (this link has INTERESTING pictures of thought forms)

Http://www.anandgholap.net/Thought_Forms-AB_CWL.htm

Also, thought forms seem to go hand in hand with astral projection, something I am also slowly trying to learn more about. Here is a link that talks about astral projection and has mention of thought forms (and other things) that can be encountered there.

Http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:9vtQVIlCH9QJ:mysteria.com/pub/culture/magick/astralp.txt+%22ASTRAL+PROJECTION+101%22+%22Llewellyn+Press%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

If anyone reading this can control thier own astral projection, please post or write to me (e-mail address in profile). I am curious if you could help guide me in a direction to faster learn this strange skill.
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
I like this story! I know all the feelings you're talking about and I like to hear it when other people talk about them too! I did a similar anger thing with a ghost that was in my house. I started swearing and shouting at it and visualizing myself having a battle with it (I knew exactly where it was in the room) and I had a lot of anger towards it. I felt it retreating too. I was genuinely surprised that it did retreat and didn't get worse. I'd be interested in what you know about thoughtforms?
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Creepy story. It must have been awful living there. I never liked Ouija Boards and think that they shouldn't even exist. You don't know what you're going to get with this Ouija and 99% of the time, it won't be good. From what I read and hear, it is almost as if it lies to you to make you think it is a deceased relative or friend. Scary.

Hope everything is well now and thanks for sharing your story. Hope to hear more.

Take care of yourself, Judy
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Ouijia boards, ugghhh! I myself had a very terrifying and awful time as the result of using one of these things, was naive and did not follow through.

I am sooooo glad you were able to rid yourself of these 'things' and able to close the possible portal that was opened.

We never know what can come through using these... Thus I think the anger when you asked if the truth was being told. You were challenging 'it' to tell the truth.

Thanks for sharing!

God Bless!
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Thanks for sharring. I have to say that you are a very brave man! Also the fact that you were praying gave you the courage to fight it.
I am very glad that you learned a lesson. On some of the stories I have read here it's like eventhough they went through all this they still don't seem to understand that ouija boards are not a toy and even if it tells you it's your deseased Granny talking to you 9-10 times it is NOT granny.

Thanks again for sharring.
😊
Dan (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Sounds like a creepy time of your life. I'm glad that it finally left but I doubt your Guardian Angel would give you rage. It goes to show that ouija boards are indeed not toys and need to be used properally.

That was a great story thanks for sharing it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: