You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Stone Cold Kid

Real Ghost Stories

The Stone Cold Kid

 

I've shared my experiences that occurred in my childhood home in Lisle, IL. Ghost Farmer and Ghost Farmer two. Yet, after all these years there has been an incident that has stuck with me more than the 'farmer" or anything else. It may not be paranormal, but just recalling it makes me wonder.

Some background. Between my house and our next store neighbour was a school path. It went from the beginning of our driveway, past our house and stopped at the end of our back neighbours house, then turned into a crosswalk. It continued past two more houses, and then led to the elementary school and Jr. High. It was common for kids, joggers and elderly people to walk on the school path during the school year and summer.

The summer before my senior year of high school (I was 17) I spent a lot of time outside. I had thought I could garden a little, but alas I don't have a green thumb.

I was outside a lot that summer planting, watering, or just sitting outside when I started to notice a boy who looked about my age walking down the school path around the same time. He looked like he was approaching from the cul-de-sac across the street (3 ranch style homes sat there) this was after 12 noon, so I'd say around 1pm.

The first time I saw him, I was in the front yard watering. I barely noticed him. But I did take note of what he was wearing. A black fedora type hat, back sweatshirt, black pants and black shoes. He walked with his head down. He didn't walk quickly, but he didn't linger. I gave him no real thought. Just another kid using the school path.

For about a week around the same time he would walk by. I was normally outside. The second major event was when I decided I would finally talk to him. Now, bare in mind I was a single, seventeen year old girl. My hormones were probably raging and "hey it's a boy from the neighbourhood". I waited in the backyard by a flowerbed we had. Like clock work, he came walking by around 1pm. He walked past me and I went "Hey". He stopped and turned. When he looked up at me I nearly made a mess of myself. He was stone cold white. Not white make up but pale. He was paler than me. His lips were a light pinkish hue and his eyes! His eyes were really something else. In the brief second he looked at me, I could see they looked vacant. Or dead. I know it sounds corny/cliché but I still get taken back thinking about it. He said nothing to me. Turned around and continued.

The combination of rejection/fear of what I had just seen sent me inside. I couldn't bring myself to go outside anymore. At least not around 1pm. My father took notice of this and asked me why I had given up the plants. I explained I had an "awkward" encounter with someone on the sidewalk. My dad, being protective at the time wanted to know whom it was. I told him some kid across the street. I told him maybe from one of the cul-de-sac houses. My dad went "huh". He was under the impression that maybe someone had moved there recently. This impression because, one house had elderly people, the second house had teenage daughters and the third was vacant. I asked why it was vacant. My dad said the last people to live there was a family that had one teenage son. Apparently, the parents came home one night and found that the teenage son had hung himself in the garage. After this they moved and the house (to my dad's knowledge and looks wise) remains empty.

Like I said, I didn't go outside much anymore. I saw the boy a few more times (while I peeked though a kitchen window) walking by. Same black attire. My senior year started and I became busy. Flash forward to me at age 20.

I was home helping my parents pack up the house. I was driving though the old neighbourhood. I was at a 4-way stop intersection that was near the Jr. High. I was the only car there at the moment. It was dark out, but still light enough to see. I was looking to my left and right. No cars, I took off. I looked in my review mirror as I drove through the intersection. There "he" was. Same outfit. Head down. I nearly drove off the road.

Now I realize this could have been a real teenage boy. The dark clothes/appearance could have been a Goth phase. That is the logical thinking. Honestly, since I saw his face that day, I've thought otherwise. I'm 24yrs old now and still think about it.

Our house is long gone. Our old neighbours gone. But I wonder if this "kid" is still there.

Thanks for comments and have a great day. Sorry about the length of this post

Other hauntings by hobbyholly

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hobbyholly, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Terrianed (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-20)
I think it would be a great idea if you went back there at the same time again just to see if he showed up. Then, you would have your answer. What part of Lisle did this happen in... What street or intersection? Maybe you could try talking to him again if you see him. Would be interested in any updates you have on this intriguing story.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-07)
TheNathanNS,

And maybe I should not comment on encouters at the end of my shift before reading all of the remarks from the new person... I just went back and read most of yours and you do seem to be offereing your opinion and or feedback of one sort of another... Not just blanket posting as I first thought. (bowing low) Please accept My HUMBLE APOLOGIES.

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-07)
TheNathanNS.

I could help but notice this moring that you've been very busy. But why go back to experiencies that were posted as far back as 2009-01-26 as this one was?

I found this experience intresting when I first read it and at that time I paid attention to the details... There was a home on a cul du sac nearby that a family had lost there son in...he'd hung himself... Not a goth/emo kid 'cutting' himself and... How did you put it... Oh yes... Let me quote you... "you maybe right about the goth part or maybe he was a emo and slit his wrist but in the wrong place and ended up accidently killing himself"

Finding someones encounter (story) intresting and commenting on it is one thing... Folowing all the other encounters (stories) that are listed as having Similar titles and just running your 'mouth' without saying much is a pain... One that has happened recently here by other 'new' members... Please if you have something to say... Say it, don't half way read someones encounter (story) and 'pop' off with half a//ed...baked... Remarks.

Respectfully,

Rook
TheNathanNS (1 stories) (44 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-05-07)
you maybe right about the goth part or maybe he was a emo and slit his wrist but in the wrong place and ended up accidently killing himself
If he was a dead kid may he rest in peace
Kenia (1 posts)
-1
14 years ago (2010-08-15)
Hi Holly I think your stories are very interesting. Mmm would you please give me your e-mail?
My name is Kenia and I used to live in Lisle.
Thank you.
Preeti (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-05)
Oh not animals dear...animals are having god gifted ability to sense the presence...anyways...may be he want something but since you are away he is still roaming to find peace...he is dead but not DEAD...very sad to know about it 😢.

God bless you and that soul ❤
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-04)
I'm the only one that saw him (at least to my knowledge). Our immediate neighbors were either working during the day or elderly people. I didn't ask around about him. I only know what my father told me in regards to the suicide.

I guess if you count my dog...he saw him
Preeti (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-04)
Hobbyholly...was he only seen by you friend or anyone else reported the same?
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-03)
tortor61: You read a story about this? A fictional story? Or Non-Fiction? Little confused about your comment
tortor61 (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-02)
Oh my goodness! I had read a story about that boy! The girl who told it said he seemed to be a happy boy and had a nice personality but always wore black. 😐 ok I hope this helps.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-01)
Preeti: my childhood home was torn down and a McMansion put in its place. I don't care to drive down my old street or really any of the surrounding area. It is rather painful. Our house was sold in a drastic and traumatic way. I feel as long as the school path is still there, so is he
Preeti (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-01)
hobby holly try to go to that place once and see exactly at 1pm...is he still there? Am very excited to have your reply...your stories are great my friend 😁...I too had a strange encounter like that...its hard to recollect those things gives me FEVER...hmmm anyways...

God bless you ❤
lolzy_34 (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-06)
I think you should do some research and see if you can find out any more information about this boy who commited suicide. This might help you confirm whether or not it was a ghost. Also go back there one day just to see if he does still walk down that path. Keep posting if you find out anything interesting! 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
You say you were 17 when you began seeing him walk by and then three years later you see him walk the same direction, same manner, same clothes... Teenage boys grow quite fast at that age so I can't picture a boy that age not having grown too large for the clothes he wore three years ago let alone that no normal person would be wearing the exact same clothes all these years.

I really think what you saw was far from normal-I only hope this poor boy has found his way "home" by now.

Thank you for a very interesting story hobbyholly!
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
What a weird story! I guess it could have been a real kid, but if so, then he was one strange boy. I'm thinking it was probably paranormal.

I especially think it was freaky that you saw him all those years later. Hopefully he'll find peace someday.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-27)
Kecoughtan: nope nope, farmer was ALWAYS on the lawn. Near the shed and side of the house. He liked the land.

The school path was laid sometime in the late 50s/early 60s. (I only know that because my grandfather was a teacher at that time. The Jr. High was the High School until about 70 something) That is when the neighborhood was developing. My grandparents bought the lot around 64? The actually picked their house out of a Sears Catalog and had it built. Most of the neighbors did that.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-27)
Don't worry, I would have had exactly the same reaction, too. Even after all these years my mother can still can find any number of ways to embarrass me and my brothers.

You REALLY had a lot of inexplicable things happening in and around that house! When you saw the farmer was he near the school path?
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-27)
Kecoughtan: No I don't think anyone else saw him. I didn't bother to ask. Mainly because 1) I was embarrassed that he "rejected" my advances. 2) I was scared my protective father would talk to him. I know it sounds silly. But I'm an only child... Only girl. If that makes sense.

I wish I had though

We had a wire/wooden fence that divided the school path and our yard. Next store neighbors had a metal fence from Sears. People behind us had no fence and next to them, those people had a giant privacy wooden fence. It was intrusive at times, but never really bothered us.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-27)
Did anyone else in your family ever see this "teen in black", hobbyholly? Your experience is chilling, but for some reason unbeknownst to me, I also find the school path a bit creepy. I'm at a loss as to why. Maybe it is merely the odd orientation--that it ran perpendicular to your property instead of at the front of the lot. It seems like a potentially intrusive arrangement if you wanted privacy in the yard.
ghostreader1000 (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-27)
Sounds like to me he was having issues in school at home work or even with a girlfriend and it became too much for him to handle I hate that his life ended that way but I will pray that you find peace within yourself and you can go on in life without having the flashbacks

Thanks for sharing
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
-2
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
hmm, seen same clothes as their favorite or just wear it when they died on it. So yeah that why some people just want to to died of their own teen life I don't know why and of course problem at home or school or other problem yes.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Thanks for the comments so far.

Chole6991: most likely he would have. I only assume this because just about every kid in the neighborhood used the school path to get to the elementary playground. I know I use to.
chloe6991 (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
That is very disturbing. If that did happen to be the boy that hung himself. I wonder where he walked to everyday? It's a mystery. Thank you for this story. 😊

~Chloe
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
I am sure as you say, this could have been a real boy... The evidenece and the feeling you got when encountering this boy certainly points to other wise.

What a terrible way to die, suicide,. I will say a prayer for her and all others who loose their way so drastically ad dramatically!

God Bless!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
Wow...I'm not sure that I'd be willing to go back and check.

I'm creepy so I might have tried to talk to him anyway. 😆

Blessings,
DA

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: