You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: We Were Here

Real Ghost Stories

We Were Here

 

This is a story my father told me while looking though old family photos a few weekends ago. It may or may not have relevance to this site, but I thought I would share.

A little background: My father comes from a family you can count on your two hands. My grandparents, My father, My aunt, My great-grandparents and finally My great uncle and aunt (Wally & Dorothy). In the 70's the eight of them would visit every Sunday, taking turns going to Elgin (where Wally and Dorothy lived) and Lisle where my grandparents lived. In 79' my great-grandfather passed, great-grandma in 82'. With the addition of my mother to the family, they still continued this Sunday visit.

One Sunday in 83', the six of them (mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, Wally, Dorothy) were eating dinner in Lisle. My aunt was a teenager and spending the night in Homewood, which is about an hour from Elgin and Lisle. The six of them went back to the house in Lisle. On the kitchen table on notebook paper was a note that read "We were here". No signature. The house appeared to be undisturbed. Doors, windows were fine. Lisle has a low crime rate (or did). It was odd; there was no sign of a break in. My aunt was called to see if she had stopped by. She said she had been in Homewood all night and had no reason to come home. Needless to say, everyone was a little uneasy and pie and coffee were skipped (you know they were freaked out when pie and coffee is skipped).

My Uncle Wally and Aunt Dorothy left for Elgin. When they got home, they phoned to say they made it safe. On their kitchen table was a note. Same piece of notebook paper, same handwriting "We were here". Once again, nothing appeared broken into and Elgin was quiet back then. My Uncle Wally passed away in 94'. Grandparents in 03' and finally Aunt Dorothy in 07'. They never figured out who left that note. I don't know if spirits can write or leave notes, but my father (and I guess myself) like to think it was my great-grandparents.

Thank you for all feedback and comments. Have a good day!

Other hauntings by hobbyholly

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hobbyholly, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-20)
Thanks for responding with the additional info, hobbyholly. I love this story--probably for the reasons cited by Tonith. Thanks for sharing!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-20)
I agree. I believe that spirits can write us a note. It all depends on the amount of energy they have. I realy enjoyed reading your story. I realy do think that these letters were left by your grandparents. Thanks again. IU hope to hear from you soon and take care
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-19)
Would have been interesting to compare both notes. After reading the story I just think your great grandparents wanted the family to know they are still there with them in spirit and approve of the continuation of a family ritual. It's a shame we still think of spirit communication with fear. What we don't understand we fear and that's where knowledge can help. People don't die, only their outer shell does.
I agree with Whitebuffalo on automatic handwriting. I don't think they need a human to be able to do this either. They can do it themselves if they have enough energy to manifest it. Love can cross any barrier. Even death.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-18)
CORRECTION:
I stated "I'm not sure if the two notes were compared."

They were compared, but over the phone not in person. My Uncle Wally told my grandpa over the phone it was the same notebook paper and the handwriting appeared scribbled. Please keep in mind, I was not there for this (born in 84'), so I'm going off what my father told me a few weekends ago

I'm sorry for any confusion. I just don't want my typing/wording mistake to mislead anyone on here. Or for my story to appear "false" in some way
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-18)
Thanks for all the comments.

Kecoughtan: Sorry I didn't have more to write about "my" personal experiences at home. I just had this story stuck in my head for days after my dad told it. The note was left on both kitchen tables. In lisle, to the right of the table was our telephone and little junk drawer where paper/pens were kept. As far in elgin, I believe they had a little "desk caddy" on the table with napkins. The impression I got from my father was that both notes were found with nothing beside it used for writing. I can always check with him

Whitebuffalo: point taken.

Rhodes68: I'm not sure if the two notes were compared. I can see my uncle getting shaken and throwing it away or something. Even though I wasn't there to witness any of this, I know for sure my dad thinks it was my great-grandparents. The more I walked around with this story in my head, I too believe it was them
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-18)
Hello back and thanks for another very interesting story!

I don't know if you ever thought about it yourself-you must have considered the possibility, at least-isn't it possible that both notes were written by the two members that were not there in their physical form? Isn't it possible that they were sending you a message that they were at the reunion together with the rest of you as always? What if the handwriting didn't match their own when they were alive. I have different handwritings depending on my mood but when it comes to writing a hasty note or my shopping list, you'd think it's a medical prescription-I can't even read it myself!
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-17)
Thanks for sharing another fascinating experience, hobbyholly. When I first saw your title, I hoped this was an addendum to your earlier accounts of the farmer. It may not have featured the old-timer in overalls, but I was just as pleased! What a peculiar and amazing event. If it had happened to me, I would have skipped the pie, too, but poured a strong cocktail instead. From your description it sounds as though the notes were by themselves. Do you recall your father saying if there was a notebook or writing instrument next to either of them?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-17)
Personally, I DO think that Spirits can write. It is the proverbial "writing on the wall". There is a form of writing in which a person is holding a writing utensil and the Spirit writes THROUGH them (automatic writing), and that it a totally different thing, but along the same lines.
If it can work with someone HOLDING the utensil, why would it not be able to work without the person?
Thank you.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-17)
Masako-

Nobody recognized the handwriting. My great-grandpa had very "block" like handwriting. My great-grandma wrote in cursive (does anyone do that anymore?).

Anyway: My dad said it looked slightly scribbled. As if written in a hurry
Masako (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-17)
Thank you for sharing that story, it sounds like your family was very tight-knit and their dedication to that weekly routine is very admirable. ❤

My question is, did anyone recognize the handwriting? It would be neat if it looked similar to your great-grandparents'.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: