You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Easter Visit

Real Ghost Stories

Easter Visit

 

I think this will be one of my last stories on here. Things on this site don't seem the same. Maybe I need a break for a while. Plus I miss some old posters that I don't see anymore.

With that said, this isn't a gloom and doom scary story. It is not grand. I didn't play with an Ouija board or see blood dripping from the ceiling. Just simple.

My grandparents passed away within two weeks of each other. Lovebird Syndrome is a common expression. The Easter of 2003 was pretty rough. It was my favorite holiday to share with them. The whole dying eggs, big dinner and yes, even though I was eighteen, getting an Easter Basket. When Easter did roll around that year, I became really sick. Hardcore Migraine, vomiting, and dizzy. You name it I had it. After spending hours sitting up with me the night before, my parents gave in and took me to the hospital.

I was admitted and given and I.V to re-hydrate me. I wasn't given a lot of painkillers. Just enough to take the edge off. I was there for about 4-5 hours. I was released around 5pm. My dad went ahead of my mother and me to pull up the car to the entrance. It was quite nice out, so my mother and I sat on the bench near the entrance and waited. A few feet down from us was another bench. I had my head turned towards my mother (we were talking) when I got this feeling to look at the other bench. There on it sat an elderly man. He looked like a spitting image of my grandfather. We're talking same newsboy cap. Same colored trench coat. Same facial features... It was uncanny. I gawked at this man for quite some time. My mother leaned over and said, "It isn't him". I turned to look at her. You could see tears running down her cheeks. I asked, "Are you sure" and she nodded and wiped tears that I apparently had started. We both turned to look at him. He still sat there. With a big smile on his face. Just like my grandfather.

My Father pulled up with the car. My mom helped me to the rear door. Before I got in, I looked at this elderly man one more time. I guess I was hoping it really WAS my grandfather. The man winked at me. Exactly like my grandfather use to do. I got in the car. My mom got seated and we drove off.

Coincidence? Maybe. Strong Painkillers? No, my Mother saw him too. They only thing in her system was crappy hospital coffee. I honestly think it was my grandfather visiting me because 1.) I was sick 2.) He knew how much Easter meant to me.

I know this wasn't scary but hopefully you enjoyed it.

Comments and Questions are welcomed. I'll check back with the community now and then

Other hauntings by hobbyholly

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hobbyholly, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Preeti (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-19)
HOBBY HOLLY first of all don't say that it looks uneducated to write YOU as " " or etc etc etc... You are in 21st Century dear... Here short forms are used to safe time 😉 so do understand it dear... Dont feel insulted my dear am not insulting just trying to convey a Combined message that everyone is not UNEDUCATED... Blah blah according to me I will use shortforms for saving tym as I too have other work to do... Love you frnd... Sorry if I said anything wrong ❤

And now you are lucky my friend that your Grandfather visits you he loves you ya... Its really an interesting story...

God bless you friend ❤
kittythatsme (4 stories) (28 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-04-27)
Hi hobbyholly I always enjoy reading your stories so I hope you are not gone long. = (

But as for your grandfather I think it's a great possiblity that it was him saying hello on your favorite holiday. He is still looking out for you that is for sure.

Have a wonderful day.

Katie
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-03-24)
Devious: Thanks for the comment. I've always respected you

Rhodes:Thank you rhodes. Same goes for you. I've always respected you as a poster.

I think it was a message of comfort. If this was my grandfather or not, it was comforting. The man had a big grin on his face and seemed like he was just taking in the awesome weather. While, logically my mother saw him because of the way she was sitting, I know it stirred something in her (and not just tears).

Wanderer: thank you as well. Haha, the wedding planning has begun. I've already uttered "why don't we elope" several times this week
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-03-24)
That is a beutiful story hobbyholly. I agree with the others who say it was probably your Grandfather. I firmly believe that our loved ones can come back to comfort us if we need it.
On another note, I have been reding stories on this site for a long time (though I don't comment much) and you are one of my favorite contributers. Ill miss reading your stories and input.
I hope your wedding goes wonderfully 😁
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-03-24)
Well...I couldn't stay away from commenting on one of my favorite poster's stories so welcome back hobbyholly and thank you for a heart-warming experience!

I've always been touched by the personal tone of such stories and also wondered how thin the line between what we see and what we wish to see is!

My thoughts? I have experienced what you did and I'm more inclined to believe that it was a message of comfort, love and support from someone who knew you'd be looking the right direction... If you catch my hint.

Your mom was looking the same direction as you so was THAT a coincidence?

I'll leave that to your judgement 😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-23)
holly, this was such a beautiful and heartwarming story. I'm not sure if it was supernatural either or if it really was your grandfather, but perhaps your mother was just saying it wasn't him because she couldn't believe it herself or cope with it. Maybe it really was him. Either way, I believe our loved ones continue to love us even after death, whether or not they can show it. Maybe he just happened to give a very similar-looking man the right nudge toward the hospital that day, just for you.

Who knows, but this experience was special to you and that makes it special in its own right.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-23)
I'd just like to say how surprised I was when my email informed me I have new comments.

Vox: Thank you for the comment. I wouldn't even consider going in the chat room. I'm sure my head would explode

Buffalo: no worries.

BYLUYSTER: Thank you as well for the comment. When I/buffalo refer to "attacked" (correct me if I'm wrong buffalo) is when we've left a comment on someone's story. Most of the time the comments are seen negative because 1) We're confused and our questions come off "rude" 2) The story is REALLY over the top. I.E "This sounds like something off FearNet)
BUT ANYWAY: You're right, I agree about having respect on here. Its what makes/made it a "safe" and "welcoming" environment to share experiences
BYLUYSTER (11 stories) (78 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-23)
I've wondered for some time now where some of my favorite moderators and poster are. 😢 ChrisB, rhodes 68, ladyanne, hobbyholly and whitebuffalo, just to name a few, now I understand...

And the frustration of offering a comment and being "attacked" is unthinkable. This site is for entertainment purposes, but I found it to be much more than that. I felt I could share my story and not be labeled a "nut case". People on here seemed to understand my feelings.

Hollyhobby, I will miss you and hope once thing settle down in your life, you will share more of your life with us.

As for the rest, I use my own judgement on what I choose to read and comment on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it should be done with respect.

God Bless,
Byluyster
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-23)
Please excuse me, Hobbyholly:

VoxMortuus, I could not help but notice your comment. I hesitate to comment you, but feel I must, as YOU have written what so many have been thinking and hinting at for quite some time.
If you take a look through the moderators comments here as of late, you will read where we ALL tried to stop immature comments, point out stories that were "over the edge", and were chastised for that, by what seemed to be the vast majority of the members of the site. If you KEEP looking, you will note that there is hardly a moderator LEFT that has commented recently, as MOST of the comments that they had left for others to bring this site BACK to what it WAS were met by hostility, and an onslaught of hate mail in our personal mailboxes.
I myself, have come to the defence of my fellow moderators only to be hit with a brick wall of resistance and persons "Internet screaming" at me to mind my own business...
It WAS my business.
I COULD give you that long list that I hinted at in my comment to Hobby, but to what end?
IF everyone TRULY wants this site BACK to what it once was, it takes MORE than just the moderators to make that happen. It takes the combined respect of ALL members, and not just a select few.
I am so tired of reading all the blamed moderator bashing. THAT is precisely the reason that there are so few of us LEFT here. This is NOT just "our site". We are NOT gods and can not be all knowing. Some of the stories that we thought were galactic manifestations of the imagination WERE posted as, according to the regulations of this site, and the guidelines of the editors, ALL WAS WITHIN REGULATION.
I have personally bowed off of pages as there were those who were so offended by my research tactics and questionings that they decided that EVERY PERSON who makes certain types of comments are there to belittle them...

This is NOT the moderators site. The chat room is for whatever OTHER chat rooms are for. A YEAR ago, we would have lessons, and bat around different ideas on how to deal with things. Today we get on to write EEEEEEAAAAWWWWW! A year ago our "leaders" were Shane, Abby, Athena and the like. THEY have since been replaced for much the same reason as the present day "leaders" will be.
The fabrications? Oh yeah, big time. But who are we (As I wrote in a different comment a few months ago) to become human polygraph tests? We are NOT all knowing, and we can not possibly "tell" when someone is not being true TO THEMSELVES.
Yep, that is enough. I have been defending this thought for at least six months and it is frustrating as I am STILL dealing with personal issues at home, and I log in just to find another unfounded "bashing". ALL are what is needed to make the site a good one. NOT just the moderators.

Again, I apologize for the interruption to your page, Hobbyholly.
If we could all stop the complaining about others and get back to helping out the legitimate issues on here...
Thank you.
VoxMortuus (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-22)
Holly, I haven't commented on your stories outside of this one, but I have always enjoyed them and valued them on this site. I'm sure you'll be missed. I also completely understand your frustration with the turn this place has taken. I have not been here as long as you have, but even in my time I have seen more religious zealotry, juvenile postings, and (this one gets me the most pissed off) blatant plagiarism from released movies and TV series'. It's a pitty the moderating team doesn't scrutinize this stuff more carefully.

Oh, and don't even think of poking your head into the chat room. That place is a total loss.

Take care.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-20)
I have GOT to say, that I ALWAYS told my children that when people passed away that they knew... "This is not goodbye, just see you later..." How marvelous that your Mother said virtually the same thing.
I appreciate the compliment, thank you. I find it rather difficult TO post a comment, or another story as the responses...
Beating a dead horse. Sorry.
I will not tally and point out what is wrong, but strive to make it right. If that means that I gracefully bow off a page or two, and stay away from certain posters...<shrug> SOMEwhere, ONE of these posters has what it is that I need, or want to learn.
I have taken time off quite a few times here lately. I KNOW I am not the only "regular" 😉 to have done so.
Thank you for adding the addy 😊
May the warm winds lead you back to us...

Thank you.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
whitebuffalo: I think my mother said "It isn't him" for both the reasons you listed.

She knew this was going to be a tough holiday. I also think her maternal instinct kicked it.
My mother is also very grounded in her faith. She has always believed that our deceased loved ones are physically gone, but emotionally and spiritually around. When she saw this spitting image of a man, I think it touched her much like it touched me. My mother's favorite saying, when someone has passed has been "they're not saying goodbye, just see you in the morning".

I'll be sure to stop by the site seeing as there are some posters I respect and look forward to their stories (such as you). I just... Need a little vacation so to speak.

Hazzard: thank you as well for the comment. There is no harm in believing it was my grandfather. As upset/emotional as I became that day, I was able to enjoy what was left of it. I told myself, my grandfather would have wanted me to be happy (i.e Eat Easter dinner) and that is exactly what I did 😁

To both buffalo and hazzard: I finally posted my email in my profile. Do feel free to drop me a line and keep in touch
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
Kecoughtan,
I agree wholeheartedly, especially about the over the top "irrational religious zeal" I am very much a person who believes that you can have faith in anything but don't try to push it upon me.

And again HobbyHolly, I things get running smoothly on this site again soon 😉
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
i always love your stories HobbyHolly and really appreciate all of your comments and feedback on mine, I'm sure many other users here feel exactly the same way. I'm with you on what you said in the begining though, it does feel different here. No offence to the mature younger posters but it does seem a lot of what's posted nowadays is very exaggerated pre-teen "bloody mary/haunted school/playing with ouija in cemetary/bad slasher film" type stories popping up more and more. I hope we don't lose you and you continue to make your presence known around the site, you are by far one of my favourite and valued posters.

Your story was incredibly sweet and I'm so sorry you lost two such important people to you, my opinion is, what's the harm in really believing it was him? Trust in what you believe

whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
I, for one, will sorely miss you, Hobbyholly.
I actually wrote out a pretty long comment here with my reasons for being frustrated with some of the things going on here lately, but anyone who has been following some of my comments already knows all of that. I am NOT a high schooler, AND most of my children have passed that age as well. I am not about to torture myself and go back to that place. It is because of the belittling responses to people giving OTHER options to experiences (that may NOT be paranormal) that people are afraid to post an honest opinion. I was under the impression that we were all here to help people to understand their experience, and find out if it IS paranormal, or NORMAL in nature. That is why a site like TAPS is so welcoming...

As for this story. I believe that everyone has a double. A twin, if you will. Not necessarily a doppelganger, but similar.
I would love to say that this was indeed, your Grandfather. The fact that your Mother also saw this man sitting on the bench is a plus.
I wonder, though, why did she REALLY say "It isn't him"?
I ask for two simple reasons. She COULD have said it, as she KNEW the pain and the inner anguish that you were experiencing at the sight of this man that so resembled your grandfather. Mothers do seem to read our minds at times.
She could have said it in an effort to convince HERSELF that this was NOT your grandfather. And in the convincing, attempt to comfort.

I believe that the Powers that Be sent this man to sit on that bench at that particular time to bring YOU normality on that Easter day. I believe, that no matter IF this was his Spirit or not, the message is clear. Grandfather loved you, and no amount of distance could keep that truth OF him, FROM you.
Thank you.
And please keep my e-mail handy.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
James: thank you for your comment
I don't plan on deleting my account or anything... Just taking a "time out". Besides, I really should crack down on planning my wedding. But I'll be on here from time to time

Tonith: I by no means think this is a battle zone. I'm aware there isn't a lot of fighting etc. I suppose I was just "ranting". Just disregard my statement

Zack: No, I never had an encounter quite like that again. I often dream of my grandfather. Sometimes I'll even "smell" his cologne out of nowhere. As far as spelling goes, it's a pet peeve I've had my whole life. I'm 24yrs old and totally get the whole "hip" thing. I get the numbers instead of letters. Frankly; it's like nails on a chalk board. BUT THAT IS JUST ME.

Thanks for the comments so far.
zack1392 (2 stories) (11 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
yea I'm 17 and I'm sorry but you have a point. I mean yea the hip new thing is to spell things with numbers and caps and misspellings... But seriously... Its like playing an instrument wrong. After awhile you'll get so used to the wrong way you keep doing it.
this story was really cool has he appeared at any other easter?
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
Sorry, I don't see a lot of battling in this site. Sure you are always going to have the ones that rant but then you have that on any site. I agree also that if you feel this way a break for a while may be needed. As far as your grandfather goes there is nothing to say that the person you did see was temporarily "used" to pass a message onto you. I believe that can happen and does many times when someone passes if only we pay attention. Take it as the blessing it was meant to be and I hope it brought you comfort which I believe was the intention.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
Hobbyholly--A beautiful incident, and I tend to agree about your grandfather being somehow involved in it. As you say, at one time your subtle but authentic experience may have evolved into suggestions of otherworldly experiences (e.g., We're certain our beloved crossovers manifest in a number of ways; perhaps they can take a similar form for greater solidity? I used to love God's appearances in the TV series "Joan of Arcadia"). I've found recently, as you and Kecoughtan, and White Buffalo, for instance, seldom or no longer joining in discussions, and I suspect it's for the same reasons as you say. Plutarch observed "In words are seen the state of mind and character and disposition of the speaker." There are still many new postings with active minds, however, and I'd miss them, and you guys, too, should we all go away.
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
Hobbyholly,

I loved your story. Feeling like your loved ones are still keeping watch over you, has a way of giving you a feeling of warmth and love.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
Thanks Kecoughtan.

I'll miss logging on and reading stories. But I don't think I have the temperament or patience anymore. I don't want to stoop to the level of "internet fighting" or petty bickering. I'm certainly tired of reading, as you put it so well "fanciful" stories. Plus, Perhaps its my age, but the spelling... And grammar is really getting to me:sigh:

I have posted my contact email in my profile page (hopefully it is not abused). If you would like to stay in touch, feel free to drop me a line
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
Thanks, hobbyholly, for this wonderful reminder of the intense, inexplicable bond we so often share with our grandparents.

We are wholly in agreement concerning the atmosphere here lately. The intense phases of combativeness and irrational religious zeal have taken the wind from my sails. Lately, I find too many of the stories fanciful and beyond my ability to believe. I hope a hiatus helps us. I miss the active participation, wise counsel, and comraderie of the regulars who seem, like me, to be laying low these days. As you said, I hope this is only temporary. I am sure I sound like a curmugdeon, but I miss the old days! 😢

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: