You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Morse Hall Happenings

Real Ghost Stories

Morse Hall Happenings

 

I am getting ready to complete my second, and last, year of living in Morse Hall, one of the dormitories at my college.

Before moving here, I had never heard about any ghost stories or other strange happenings. After moving in, I started hearing stories of students who have died naturally, accidentally or by suicide, and that Morse Hall has quite a reputation for being haunted. Before I explain any experiences or stories I should probably explain the layout of this building. It is divided into 5 sections, Northeast, Abigail, Central (where I reside), South, and Southeast. Northeast, Abby and Central have hallways that connect them together, but South and Southeast are separated from them, except the hallway on the ground level. There is an elevator in Northeast, Central and Southeast and there used to be one in Abigail (the shaft is now boarded up).

Now that you have an idea of how the building is laid out, I am going to tell you about my experiences and the strange occurrences. First, the Abigail elevator shaft used to be in operation. Apparently, one night, a drunken football player threw himself down it. It has been said that you can hear a banging sound coming from inside the shaft. I've walked by this many times, but have never heard anything strange.

Also, I heard about a basketball player either dying in a car accident or by suicide. I was told she lived on the fourth floor of Northeast. She is said to dribble her basketball down the hallway of the fourth floor (Northeast, Abby and Central) at night and nobody on the fourth floor can hear her, but the floors below can. I lived on the fourth floor last year and never heard a sound.

This year I live on the second floor and I've heard what sounds like a basketball on numerous nights. Then, there are stories of students supposedly committing suicide in the closets of Abigail, which honestly wouldn't surprise me considering the size of the closets (largest in the building). A couple of my friends were watching a movie in one of the Abigail closets and they said they saw a face in the wall. Then, there's the bathroom in ground Abigail. People report hearing strange noises coming from below the sink, like pipes being unscrewed. I've heard this, but I always dismiss it thinking it really could just be the pipes, especially considering the age of the building.

So, here are the rest of my experiences. When I used to live in fourth Central strange things would always happen in my room. I would hear the sounds of things "dropping" above my ceiling. I was on the top floor, so it wasn't like somebody lived in a room above me and was dropping things on their floor.

Also, posters would suddenly fall down out of nowhere. It wasn't like the wind blew them down or anything, because the window would be shut and they wouldn't come down slowly, they would come down like somebody was actually tearing them down. The door to the room would move quite a bit, too. It would sound as if wind was blowing it back and forth, but the window would be shut and there was no window (s) across from the room.

There would also be strange noises in the room, along with things falling from shelves or in closets when nothing was touching them. Then, orbs would show up in quite a few of the pictures I would take in the room. I'm not a strong believer in orbs since they could easily be dust or whatnot.

Anyway, this year I haven't been experiencing as much as I did in the old room. I have heard the sound of a basketball dribbling at night. My posters have also fallen down mysteriously, but that's pretty much it.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed!

Other hauntings by mandalyn05

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mandalyn05, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kellylbecker31 (1 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-09-22)
I realize that this comment is about 9 years too late or maybe even 19 years too late. I lived in the 4th floor of Southeast Morse Hall in the fall and spring of 2001-2002. I went back to my dorm in early Spring 2002 about 1:30 am. I got ready for bed and got into bed and was praying silently. Then, right behind my head someone dribbled a basketball 3 times and a sneaker squeaked on the tile floor. I was petrified, because it was there, it was real. I quietly said "Stop" and then it dribbled again 3 times even harder. I flew out of bed, turned on the lights and ran to my friends apt with no shoes on. None of us ever stayed at the dorm by ourselves again until we moved out on May. This is my one and only paranormal experience. It was real.
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-05-18)
troyarn: That's kind of odd that there's somebody else on here who's in Emporia. I won't be back there until August 1st though. That party you mentioned most likely wasn't legal, though I have done some partying in the dorms myself! Lol. It doesn't surprise me that you've heard somebody else mention the basketball, that was the first one I heard about. I'm thinking the paper didn't mention anything because they didn't want the school to have a bad rep. I doubt your talking about the same elevator because the one the football player threw himself down has been boarded up for a while, but who knows. I've also heard of people being taken to every single floor, instead of going straight to the one they want to go to, and it has happened to me a couple of times. Thanks for your comments!
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-05-17)
And another thing... A few girls I knew there told me they could not put up posters on the walls. They simply would not stay on for long. Whether this is due to the material the wall was made of or not I don't know.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-05-17)
Very strange to see this... I am in Emporia at the moment and know Morse Hall. A friend of mine used to live there and I recall a big party his floor had (not sure if that was legal or not, but it was very fun).

I too heard of ghosts there and another friend even mentioned the basketball sounds (and I personally heard a few weird noises).

I have never heard of many deaths there, though, and would think the local paper would report something. Still, one never knows. There have been too many people mentioning things to not wonder if something is going on there.

One other thing...I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the football player throwing himself into the shaft, but once a friend and I streaked through the place and used the elevator to get back to the room our other friend was in. The elevator refused to take us to our floor, instead stopping us off at every other floor until we finally just got out and ran for the stairs.
josehunder (2 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
In an old dorm building with a few hundred people in it, I would wager that the "basketball dribbling" has more to do with plumbing or just old building noises than anything else.
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
below_you: I forgot to mention in my last comment that I live on the 2nd floor.
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
below_you: Yea, it's at Emporia State and that honestly wouldn't surprise me in the least!
below_you (1 stories) (5 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-05-12)
If this is the Morse Hall at Emporia State one of my friends claims to have seen a full body apparition of a girl floating a good foot off the ground down a hallway. She claims other people have seen it too. I think she said on the 2nd floor but I'm not positive on that.
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
I would like to, but I honestly wouldn't know where to start! I know I could check at possibly a historical society or a library, but I'm not quite sure what else.
lawboy386 (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
wow. Maybe you should try to research the history and see how much of these stories are true?
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
Patch: Actually, I didn't use either for the posters. I used the yellow sticky tac stuff that I bought at a poster sale. I couldn't use any type of thumb tack or pushpin because the walls are concrete. I just found it odd because it wouldn't happen to all my posters and quite a few times I would put more sticky tac on to try and keep them up. Didn't always work though. But, I definitely agree with your point about the posters being heavy!
Patch (3 stories) (91 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
I like how you try to excuse what's happening, logically thinking about what it could be:)
I'm wondering about the posters though, do you keep them up with blue-tack or pins? Sometimes the posters are so heavy that they can just fall automatically, it's just a theory.
It's funny how dorms/schools seem to get the most hauntings. I used to live in a boarding school and there were a lot of hauntings there, I have yet to write them down and post it here.:)

Thanks for sharing ❤
mandalyn05 (5 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
I didn't say I necessarily believe everything I've heard. It's all by word of mouth and I'm sure some of it is just rumors.
wertona9 (3 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-11)
I think that if the dorm has a such a horrible history, it is very well possible that it is haunted. But just remember that if a lot of things happened, not all could be true. Don't believe EVERYTHING, but check in with some people on if anything has happened in that area. 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: