You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Reassuring Light

Real Ghost Stories

The Reassuring Light

 

My Grandma died around 7 years ago now. For those who have read my other stories you will know that she spent her last 6 months in Hospital. My mum, along with her brother and sister, sold my Grandma's house not long after she had died.

My mum experienced a lot of spooky stuff while she was sorting the house out ready to sell which I have also explained in a previous story. I feel that my Grandma never really left us after she had gone; she was the kind of woman who was very in touch with her spiritual side. I remember being younger, me my sisters and cousins would go to her house every Sunday. Her house was always full of books about fairies and witches. She had weird paintings on the wall that lead up the stairs, of people whose eyes would feel as though they were following you all the time. We were never allowed upstairs except if we needed the bathroom and all the bedroom doors would be closed constantly. We used to make up stories to the kids on her road that she was a witch (a nice one though) and they'd believe us.

We were sad when our parents decided to sell the house, it felt like all the memories of our Grandma circulated only around that house and now the magic was gone. I'd love to go back to that house and see it looking how I remembered it.

5 days before she passed away my sister gave birth to her second son, William. Unfortunately due to a change in our Grandma's personality of paranoia and miss-trusting, she never got chance to see her great grandson. We left her a photo at the end of her bed so she could see him but she never remembered who he was.

6 months had passed and my sister had William lying in his pram, she was walking him to the local supermarket when she purposely took a detour down the road heading towards our Grandma's old house. She admitted that she just wanted to see how it looked. She was walking towards it debating whether or not to cross the road and walk past the drive when a bright light flashed from the front door at her.

She excitedly told us all about it and was convinced it was Grandma saying Hello. After that, whenever we would talk about my Grandma, my sister would always bring up that story.

About 2 years ago I was coming home from work, passing the road that she had lived on when I thought of the story that my sister used to share with us. It was dark as it was winter but I wanted to see for myself about the bright light and see what my chances were of seeing it. I turned down the road and drove to the end, butterflies sprang in my stomach. The house sat in front of me shadowed by the large conifer that stood tall in the front garden.

I was about 3 houses away when a bright light flashed from the front door, I eventually pulled up right outside in my car blocking the drive way. The light was coming from the security light that was attached to the wall next to the front door. The butterflies left as soon as they'd came and I felt a sharp twang of disappointment. It was just the sensitivity of the light that had caused it to come on, it had sensed the movement of my car close by and had done what it was designed to do. The light went off after around 10 seconds.

I didn't drive off straight away as I was admiring the house too much and thinking about the memories. I heard a car coming down the road and saw its headlights as it turned the corner and headed towards my Grandma's house, taking the same route I had just come from. I looked back at the light presuming it would sense the moving car and come back on, but it didn't. The car drove further down the road and round the next corner. I then heard the murmur of people talking and looked in my wing mirror; it was an old couple with a dog. Any second they would be walking right past the house and the light would come on. Past they went and still the light stayed off.

I realized I must look a bit strange parked up outside someone's house and maybe they would be home soon and want to park their car on the driveway I was blocking. I started my engine and took one last look and began to drive away, I moved around a foot forward when the light flashed on. I smiled to myself, the butterflies coming slowly back. The light remained on until I turned the corner and out of sight from the house.

The same week I was round at my sisters after work, we were going shopping. I excitedly told her about the light outside Grandma's. 'Told you!' She said.

As we drove off to go shopping we decided to divert... I turned down the road and drove to the end, the light flickered on brightly. We both nervously smiled and looked at each other. By the time I'd pulled up the light had gone off. 'Move the car just to make sure it's not the censor.' I rolled forward slightly. Nothing. I reversed about a meter. Nothing. I rolled forward this time about 3 meters. Nothing. About 5 times I rolled forwards and backwards, each time moving a little further than the last. The light just did not come on.

We giggled at how daft we must look and came to the conclusion that this time she just wasn't going to cooperate. Stubborn as usual! We decided to leave so we had plenty of time to shop before the shops closed for the night. I drove off past the house and down the road. 'Bye Grandma!' We both said aloud as we left. The light instantly flashed at us and we both looked at each other surprised. I stopped the car and we both looked back, it slowly began to die out then it brightly lit up again. It stayed on until we drove around the corner and out of sight...

Every time she's on my mind I always take that little detour to see the light flashing and every time it has. But refused to come on when ever another car or person is passing by.

I've not visited for a while, we scattered her ashes recently and I don't know if that's made a change, I'll have to go and see.

Other hauntings by Hanbobs

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hanbobs, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

xXelliemayXx (10 stories) (164 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-16)
hanbobs
Great story... Made me think about my grandma.
I think it is always comforting to know that someone that you truely loved dearly is still there to look out for you ❤
xXelliemayXx ❤ ❤
Hanbobs (20 stories) (119 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-16)
After posting this story I decided to divert past by Grandma's house again. The light was still on the wall at the side of the front door and it stayed off as I drove towards the house. Like usual I pulled up outside the drive way and did my usual routine of rolling backwards and forth. Nothing. I tried speaking to her and asked her to show me some sign that she was there. Nothing. I drove back home.
I mentioned we scattered her ashes previously this year and that I haven't been to see the house since the event. I now believe she truely is resting in peace as nothing unusual has happened at my mum's house which is where the ashes were kept since we recieved them after her funeral.
Some religions believe that scattering ashes into a river (which is where her ashes were scattered) causes them to rise up in to the Heaven's. I'm glad she has found another permanent home even though we don't hear much of her now. I'm sure she's still watching over the family though...
😊
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-07)
I'm glad to see you did all the debunking so that we wouldn't have to. So unless there is an electrical reason for all this which is reaching on my part, sounds like Grandma is still in her old home. Would be interesting to see if the present owners have had anything unusual happen to them in the house. They might think you crazy for asking but on the other hand you may be surprised that they have been having odd occurrences as well. If you decide to go that route let us know.
Hanbobs (20 stories) (119 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-07)
Thank you moonshadow, I'm sorry to hear about your mother but it is nice when you know that they are still around and you can feel them there with you. 😊
I think it's a 'guy' thing to not believe in ghosts or spirits, they always try to pass it off as something else... Hehe
Hanbobs x
moonshadow (3 stories) (146 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-06)
Thats a lovley story and certinley the best iv read yet your grandmother is definetley looking out for both you and your sister. I moved back home to look after my mother after she broke her hip and it was lovley to have that final year living back with her sadley she passed away two years back after a short illness and I miss her a lot iam living in the house now and I feel her around the house a lot a few strange things have happened as well especially soon after she passed over but iv allways felt a lovley peaceful feeling whenever I sence her around. I have got two nephews living with me now as well but they are very negative to anything like that and one of them dosent believe at all he thinks when we die that's it we go into a grave and that's the end sometimes it annoyes me I feel it brings negative atmosphere to the house.
Hanbobs (20 stories) (119 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-03)
Thanks for your comments guys! 😆
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I'm unsure whether she is still at the house but if you read some of my other stories (a few of them are about her) you will see she makes a few appearances.
I'm going to be driving that way soon so I will deffinately do the detour and see if she shines her light.
Hanbobs x
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
This is so cool... What a great story... Grammas have a way of making their presence known... Do you think she's haunting the house, or just following you guys, and letting you know that she's keeping an eye on the old place?...
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
This is a great story, Hanbobs! I think it was your beloved Grandmother who is still loving you & watching out for you & your sister even though she has passed away! She's giving the 2 of you a sign that she's still hanging around her old home & watching over her family. There's no stronger love than that. Thanks for sharing this story, one of the best I've seen on this website so far. Please keep us posted on any further sightings of your Grandma's reassuring light. Thanks! 😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: