You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Great Grandpa's Spirit Visted Me While He Was Still Alive

Real Ghost Stories

My Great Grandpa's Spirit Visted Me While He Was Still Alive

 

I was at a family get together in Boise Idaho at my great grandma's house. I say my great grandma's house because my great grandparents have been divorced since before I was born. This all took place in her living room. I was 3 years old at the time. My grandparents, mom, aunt's uncles and cousins were all there. I was the youngest person. I went to lay down in the living room because it was too hot outside for me. It was the end of May. It was just after dark when my very first paranormal experience happened.

I was reclined in my great grandma's blue recliner, and I was watching down the hallway because there were fireflies at the backdoor. The backdoor had a large pane of glass in it so I could clearly see a portion of the backyard. All of a sudden I saw a black shadow walk into my great grandma's room. So being a naturally curious 3 year old, I went into the room to see who it was. I wasn't even scared because at that point in time I didn't even grasp the concept of ghosts.

When I got in there I saw my great grandpa sitting in the bed. Mind you they were divorced and he was living in Weippe Idaho at the time, and he wasn't even there. The odd thing that I first noticed was he was dressed like an "army man". That is what I called it. He took me on his lap and said "Ash, honey, I'm going to have to be going soon. I want you to make sure you are a good girl and take care of your mommy and grandma for me okay?" After he said that he I got off of his lap and walked to the door and turned around and told him I loved him. By that time he was laying down like he was dead. I ran outside and told my mom what happened and she asked my grandma when my great grandpa got there and why he was wearing his army uniform. My grandma told my mom that he wasn't there and in fact he was at his hunting camp.

He passed away December of 1991. He was buried in his Army uniform. I was 6 years old and since I was so young I wasn't allowed to go to his funeral. He died from complications due to a stroke. I miss him terribly.

Other hauntings by ashleylesley

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Idaho

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ashleylesley, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

AngelofDarkness (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-15)
Hi ashleylesley, I really enjoyed your story! My grandmother had a similar experience like this to she saw my great great grandfather standing in front of her bed in the middle of the night when she was about 16 and about 80 seconds he vanished. I will post more info about my grandmother's story soon!
😊
~AngelofDarkness
Joyce1963 (2 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-03)
ashleylesley, This same thing happened to me. I'm 47 now and this happened about 2 years ago. My grandpa was 90 and under hospice care in the nursing home. I had come from out of town to spend time with him before he passed away and had been with him every day, all day, for about 5 days in row. The day before I needed to return home, he was in a deep "sleep" and would not respond to us. I knew he was dying and I would never see him again. I didn't know if he could hear me or not, but I needed to say goodbye. Told him I loved him, held his hand for awhile, then gave him a hug, although he was not able to hug me back, I could feel him squeezing my hand.

I went to bed that night at my mom & dad's house. I laid in bed, and had not even shut my eyes yet. Grandma was in front of me and Grandma was behind me giving me a hug. His arm was under me, lifting me slightly from the bed and hugging me. Grandma was in front of me and it was like she was hugging me also. It was real.

Grandpa was in the nursing home that night and passed away about 5 days later. Grandma was sleeping in her apartment. And, I was at my parent's home. We were in three different places, yet they were both with me for a short while that night.

Mom and Dad now sleep in the room where I had this experience and Mom told me that she has seen Grandma in there 3 times since then. Grandma lives with them now, so Mom got up all three times to check on her and she was sound asleep.

I'll never forget this experience and the final hug I received from my grandpa. I can't explain it, but am very grateful.
ashleylesley (6 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-03)
I am glad I was able to spend time with him too. He has 3 great great grandkids that he hasn't met on this side yet... But my cousin emmali has a story that needs to be told about him.

I will tell it for her because she asked me to. ❤
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-03)
Well, like I said, keeping an open mind about this one because it doesn't sound particularly UNbelievable. It sounds quite possible to me. 😊

Like I said, it sounds like he loved you very much, and I'm glad you were able to spend time with him before he passed. I'm interested to hear other stories of yours and I hope you will share them soon!
ashleylesley (6 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-03)
Well, DeviousAngel I also remember the family reunion that took place 2 months after this happened. We were at my great grandpa's hunting camp and I went fishing with my cousin D. I also remember the little grass snake I was playing with. The one thing that really stands out in my mind though about that trip is that I was bitten on my big toe by a bug, and then stung by a bee, My great grandpa is allergic to bee's and since I was the only great grandchild that was there, I was paid more attention by him. So he fixed up my toe and my arm and told me to use a walking stick when I'm walking around and to put my shoes back on. ❤ But then again, some people are able to remember things a bit better than other people. He was not the last spirit I would come to see as I got older. I am half native american and I am from a long line of great medicine women on my fathers side. My mom is not native american... So I got some abilities from her side too.
bigdreams10 (2 stories) (24 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-03)
man that's really sad I'm sorry to hear that but you should know even though you can't see him he will always be there with you! ❤
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-03)
Wow, I'm glad you were able to see him again before he died. The only problem I really have from this story is that it's very hard to believe that you remember anything from that age. Usually, people don't retain memories until after they are roughly 5 years old, and even then, it gets pretty foggy. But I'll keep an open mind anyway, and say that it sounds like he loved you very much.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: