You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Child Under The Stairs

Real Ghost Stories

The Child Under The Stairs

 

It has been sometime since I last shared an experience. While there has been many throughout my life time this one is more recent and ongoing.

I moved into my parent's old apartment in early July 2008. It is a two storey apartment. The structure of the building is old and falls under, poorly constructed. I mainly moved in because it was more spacious than my previous place and enabled me to have a dog again.

My apartment has a narrow 1/2 bathroom downstairs by our living room. It barely fits a sink and toilet. Past the toilet wall there is a pathway that narrows even more and leads further into the back to what seems like a small storage area. This storage area has bench like shelves. If you look to the left it leads to a dark corner under the stairs. The floor that is directly under the stairs is pink with white faded bunnies as decoration. Any average sized adult would have a hard time getting back there. When we forget to close the door my dog begins to bark and whine a lot. He mainly ends up focusing on a specific corner when he does.

There have been times I fall asleep on my living room couch and have felt someone whispering secretively in my ear. I can never make out what is being whispered. It usually startles me and I get up. When the door is closed a sudden breeze from inside that bathroom will push the door as if it wants to open. There are no windows in our downstairs bathroom. I as well as my boyfriend have experienced the whispering. He has seen what seemed to be a small figure through the side of his eye run past our living one day while he was ironing in the kitchen. We believe the spirit of a child is under those stairs in our bathroom. I do not know the history of my apartment or what was here before this building was. I do know that this child is not the only presence in our home. There is also a female present in what is now my brother's room upstairs. If the two are related I also do not know.

The child likes to be acknowledged. More so when there is someone home alone. I try to always have the TV or radio on when I am alone. I will hear something in the kitchen move around or will be watching TV and my dog will always react as if there is someone in that room with us. I have made it a point to let this child know I as well as my dog and others who live there mean no harm. It is evident that no matter how hard I try to stray and ignore these small happenings there is someone other than my family in my home.

Other hauntings by Tek

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tek, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Tek (4 stories) (8 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-30)
Thank you for your replies 😊

I am a bit nervous about the whole recording thing. I don't know why. BadJuuJuu, thank you for the other advice I will try that.

The child I feel a bit more relaxed about taking that approach. The woman upstairs is a little different I don't get the same impression from her as I get from the child.
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-26)
I agree with badjuujuu. Poor child, he is earthbond and is lonely. Too bad you cannot check the history of the house perhaps we might have an idea why the child is there.

This comment from troyarn is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

moonamiga (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
WOW, and badjuujuu is right that's the best you could do. They don't sound like evil spirits so I would try listening when he whispers in your ear maybe he is trying to tell you something but by you trying to pretend its not there you might be not listening clearly so try and talk to him.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+4
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
This is a very interesting story. It's too bad you don't know the history of the building or land. Great advice from BadJuuJuu and I agree that the child spirit is more active and willing to communicate if presented with the opportunity. I think it's good that you let this spirit know that you don't mean it any harm, and I'm sure it feels the same way. It just looks for attention from time to time like you said. If you are comfortable with it then you can set up some ground rules, or try what BadJuuJuu suggested. I hope everything turns out well for you. Take care 😊 ❤
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+7
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
It sounds like the child is your most active presence. If he wants to be acknowledged, he will keep trying to get your attention. Usually just saying "Hello, I know you're here" is enough to satisfy the ghost that it has been acknowledged. However, there is always the possibility that doing this will make the child try harder to communicate. In that case, an escalation of activity is possible. All that means is he may make your lights flicker a little, or move small objects around. Nothing bad. He just sounds like a harmless, lonely child.
What I would do in your situation would be to just state quietly and calmly "If there is anyone here, you are welcome to stay, provided you follow the house rules (explain the rules. Mine are pretty simple, don't scare or hurt any member of the household) but you would be much happier if you crossed over. All your fanily, all your friends, are waiting for you on the Other side. All you have to do is go into the light to be back with your loved ones."
Try this with the child, and the other presence as well. They may be willing to cross over if they know what to expect.
Walrek (12 posts)
+3
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
Dogs and cats can sense spirits better than we do. So when your dog is barking at a corner, it is barking at the spirit. If you want, when your dog is barking like that snap a photo of where the dog is barking. For the whispers, a tape recording.

I wish you well.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: