You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Sounds And Smells From Nowhere... Small Happenings

Real Ghost Stories

Sounds And Smells From Nowhere... Small Happenings

 

Sounds intriguing; the title doesn't it? Its not really it's just the little things I have experienced as I'm sure many others have probably had similar experiences to mine. This one will be short!

Over the years from childhood I have experienced hearing things from nowhere, smelled familiar smells when no ones been there, etc.

Manys the time I have heard my name called "Nicole" sometimes with a "come on", to just hearing something but never quite making out what was said. Sometimes I've been on my own, other times, grandmother/partner/parents have been here and when asked what they've said they've not said anything!

Manys the time too I've smelt familiar smells. Bread, scones, steak and other cooking smells, even toast but nothing is being cooked. Perfumes are another thing I've smelt. Have often said to the other half "Can you smell that?" and of course he hasn't, though he's said the same to me!

One incident that sticks in my mind is while waiting for my partner to arrive home one night; I was working away on the computer when I smelt aftershave. Seriously it was like someone had leant over my shoulder to watch what I was I doing the smell was that strong! I've an idea it could've been a friend of mine who'd passed away 10 years before.

Another thing has been I have gone to let one of the dogs into bed (yes they sleep in bed with us!) only to find there's no dog there to let in as they're all already in bed! Can only guess that's Kippy letting mummy know he's about. On occasion of course when he was alive he used to annoy me rather than daddy to let him back into bed. Mmmm wonder where his son and daughter got that bad habit from! (chuckles) And as I often sleep on my own (can't stand my partners snoring!) I have also felt a dog either getting on the bed or actually on the bed and, yep you guessed it, no dog! Again it's got to be Kippy curled up with me:)

Even with this house, a house I have known from the age of 5 (I am recently just turned 41 on the 26 Feb... Eeeeek that's 36 years!) there's noises that go on I KNOW are not the house cooling down, like hearing the way the floorboards creak when someone's walking around but I know damn well no ones up! I often have heard someone walking through the house with an odd footfall, which could only be my grandfather who lost part of his foot while serving in the navy during WW2! Even animals wandering through yet all surviving animals are in bed snug and warm.

Anyway that's just a few little incidents that have happened. There have been others that at present don't come to mind clearly. Nothing frightening just pleasant things to let us know our loved ones are still about looking over us!

Other hauntings by Morticia1

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Morticia1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

TheNathanNS (1 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-06)
maybe its a guardian angel
Its what I think anyway bcos it sounds like it
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-29)
Alot of the other posters are throwing in good posts I think. Its interesting to know how family and pets will come back and hang around us, like their wanting to keep an eye out for us.

I think it was a really well written story and I am happy that you shared it with us.

Peace
JustCurious

And just wanted to say thanks to those that sided with my comment and said it had good points, etc. I appreciate it.
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-29)
[at] Darkness yes indeed I thought people would be able to relate to it as most of us have experienced it. And I totally agree about JustCurious' post like I said it makes you think!

[at] taz ty and youre welcome. Our animals are just a tad spoilt πŸ˜† and I love it when they come back specially as kip was so well loved by all the family. I know my sister felt strange the first few times she was up after he went as there was only 18 days difference in age between them so she grew up with him (shes 22)
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-28)
this is an interesting post thanks for sharing love the bit with the dogs in the bed and kip visiting you so sweet when pets pop back to see their owners.
Have also noticed smells that can't be explained the one I recall most fondly is the strong smell of bread baking at a park I used to go to as a child strange thing about it was the bakery that uesd to be across the road from the park had been torn down years before and there were no bakerys in the area.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-28)
Morticia: I know exactly what you mean those are the types of things I experience most often aswell especially the smells. As you said small but subtle things to remind you that they are still there with us. JustCurious's post also has a lot of good points.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-28)
[at] aiafaith1 yes I have heard that can happen. Maybe someone can answer that question on how this is possible that a persons scent who is still alive can be smelt when theyre not there!

[at] NSN82 mmmmmm now that's interesting! Never smelt that before 😊

[at] MaddyMasacar I have done the same thing don't worry πŸ˜† not reading something in full! And yep that's the sort of thing I'm talking about!
MaddyMasacar (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-27)
πŸ˜† I am sorry but your title cracked me up cause I didn't see the "Small happenings" bit. Ahhh I love when people fart and try covering it up but it smells, and you heard it too.:L

Anyway, on a serious note, I have had this happen to me. I have been in bed and smelled my dead grandfather scent. It was a musky, deilesly smell cause he was a truck driver. Also, I sometimes smell my dead Nan of sweet but old skin. It relaxes me cause I feel as if they are near me watching me.

Just my opinion and story.
❀ MaddyMasacar 😊
NSN82 (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-26)
The same things happen to me! I'll be watching tv and then I smell a burning smell, and not like food burning, more like the way a bon fire smells. I often smell cologne when I'm laying in bed. I don't know what it means. I'm interested in it as well.
aiafaith1 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-26)
I have a tendency to be somewhere, and all of a sudden I get this weird smell. Sometimes (I know this sounds gross, but some people have their own smells.) I will be like in my bedroom, and out of NO WHERE it smells like my best friend in my room. But like she isn't dead, so why does it happen? Weird...
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-26)
redphx your theory makes sense though. Food for thought at any rate 😊
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
I was thinking about entity scent the other day. Smell is basically our brain processing electrical signals that tell us hey this smells like this. Since ghosts and other beings are made up of energy I think they play with the ability to create smell. It is not that they phyiscally have a scent but they are creating an electric charge assiciated with a scent that they send us to recognize. I believe that bad smells like sulfur may be more like a warning system to let us know to stay away. Much like what a skunk does. Ghosts can't physically create scents but they create energetic ones. That is also why I think that when a room is filled with people and only two or three will smell the odor and the others will not.

That is my theory
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
Lilady (Rachel) yes its strange isn't it. And Kippy was already almost 5 years old when my partner and I got together, Id also known him since he was literally only 2 hours old which I think explains why he would more often wake me than daddy πŸ˜†
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
Yes, I've had the same thing. Usually when I'm alone or trying to relax, and when I'm at tec (sort of like university/college), I hear my name being called. I also see spirit. The same with smells, it smells like someone is cooking, but no-one is. But, I usually communicate with spirit in my head. Right now, I am all foggy from lack of sleep, and my Husband being gone for a few days, so I can't hear spirit as clearly.
Kippy sounds like my Teddy (she's a cat, and she's alive), she only annoys me rather than her daddy. Pets are amazing, they will love you forever.
Love & Light, Rachel ❀
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
[at] chicken nugget πŸ˜† No need to research there's been 5 dogs that have lived here long term in the past 36 years As I mentioned I'm sure its Kip that's the one I hear 😊

[at] dreamergal yes that's it though I smell them even when I'm wide awake!
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
I know the Feeling I did the same thing when I smell When I napping I smell something thought My mother is cooking when I wake up go in the kitchen nothing is cooking strange also Smell Familars in the house that was not there in alive...
chicken-nugget22 (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
You should do research on the house... I am thinking that a dog might have lived there. Keep us Posted!
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
[at] Justcurious the footfall sounded precisely like my grandfathers. And with Kip yes again it was the little things he did in life that made me realise who it was. And I don't mind questions, other opinions/thoughts etc theyre a way to get us thinking! 😁

[at] granny uh huh exactly! Its amazing how they come about and you just can't find an explanation for them! πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
Morticia: It's the little things and happenings that add up! πŸ˜†...Like a couple of nights ago, I couldn't sleep... I kept smelling flowers, like cherry blossems...I'd wake up and smell my pillow, the blanket, my pj's, my husband, I even smelled my armpits! πŸ˜†...Just couldn't pinpoint it...There's no cherry trees here in the Mojave, or even anything that would come close to that scent...

Cool stuff there!...Thanks for posting 😊
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-24)
That is an interesting story, the title grabbed my attention and it lead to me reading the story all the way through. Just a couple of questions that arose though while I read the story.
-Did the odd footfall of the ghost sound like the foot fall of your grandfather? (I just ask cause sometimes other spirits can imitate similar movements to try and be less alarming to us and to get us comfortable to them)

Same goes for the dogs and such.

I am just saying this based off of what I have read and seen from other locations from this and other websites.

Now I am not saying that these spirits that you are identifing are not those that you are saying they are, just saying that there is a possible that another spirit may be imitating familiar noises to make you feel more comfortable with it. I would just say to keep an eye out for it.

Peace
JustCurious

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: