You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Black Figure Appears During Storms

Real Ghost Stories

Black Figure Appears During Storms

 

This happened when I was about 14 years and 5 months old. I was staying in my grandmother's house whilst my parents were on holiday. It was about November, 2009, and in the south of England the weather is normally very wet and cold with a lot of storms.

A couple of months earlier I had been in my grandmother's kitchen which faced the back garden. It had been raining very hard. It was just starting to slowly stop and it was at about half past 5 in the evening. I was cooking dinner for my grandmother, as it was my turn and I had been staying round for a couple days. I looked out of the window to see if the rain had stopped and this black figure of a man about 6 feet tall walked by. It had its collar on the raincoat that it was wearing up and I couldn't see its face at all; it was just a black figure. I stood frozen in the kitchen, scared. It then went out of view and I ran to tell my grandmother about it. She said that she had had many experiences of it and had named it 'Henry'. I was a little shocked about this fact but I plucked up the courage to continue cooking. That was my very first encounter.

Back to that night, I was up in my uncle's old bedroom which was in the attic. The actual attic was separated into two parts with a mini hallway in between, one room for a bedroom and the other as an actual attic. Neither had doors on. It was a very stormy night with high winds and heavy rain. This was about half 10 at night. I heard footsteps up the stairs and, thinking it was my grandmother checking up on me, I shouted 'Nan'. There was no answer and this black figure appeared in the doorway and it looked exactly like Henry but I wasn't sure. I then screamed 'Nan' as I was very scared and it vanished but I heard footsteps going down the stairs. My grandmother then came into the room wearing a white nightgown. I asked my friend that lived down the road if he had experienced anything like it that night and he had but with one difference: he had a door and before the figure appeared the door opened and after it disappeared it closed.

Has anyone got any ideas if it was Henry or another ghost and why does it only appear during very rainy weather or storms?

Other hauntings by PebblesnBammbamm

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PebblesnBammbamm, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Ladyhawk84 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-06)
Yes,because the ghosts use the energy, and are made it from energy, that's why appear especial on storms.
PebblesnBammbamm (4 stories) (30 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-13)
That's ok dragonstorm80, I'm glad you liked it and a couple of my friends have suggested that he uses the storms to appear. Thanks aswell. Xx
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-05)
I like the idea that the storms create more energy for "Henry" to manifest, he certainly doesn't seem harmless in any way. Thank you for posting this.
PebblesnBammbamm (4 stories) (30 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-04)
ngute80 - Thanks for the idea, he could.
Nysa - Thanks, I asked her the other day and she said that sometimes he would stop and look around but would only stop for a couple of minutes at a time. She also said that it was only during the dark, never during the day. It was always at 8 pm except summer when it was at 9 pm. She has since moved so I don't know if he is still there as we don't keep in touch with the people who live there now. I also have recently researched the part of town where she used to live and the whole 'estate', you could call it, was an old army base and they had watchmen so he could have been one of them.
ngute80 (220 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-04)
Maybe "Henry draws his energy from storms. Storms generate a lot of electricity and spirits feed off electricity. Thank you for sharing.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-04)
Well there are a few odd things about the experiences. I do think it will have been the same entity. Obviously that he only comes during storms is strange. I would speculate that it could be the ghost of someone who died during a storm, but then why come into your room to stare at you & the same with your friend. Which is another odd factor, that he seems to haunt the whole area, inside and outside, sometimes apparently seeking out people, other times (like when you saw him in the garden) just hanging out. Lastly it is odd that he is opening and closing doors when anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that such entities don't need to. Perhaps a case of someone who does not realize they are dead, searching for someone? But the way you describe him sounds to me like a very stoic individual, not a lost and confused one. Perhaps "someone" watching over the neighborhood during storms? And he just uses doors out of habit. Lastly, why is he all blacked out & basically featureless? Maybe because he sees himself not as the individual he was in life (assuming it is the spirit of a former person) but as the spirit of the place or of the storm. For that matter perhaps that is what "he" is. This one is going to take some thinking & discussion I think. It is perplexing & very interesting. Did your grandmother give you any details of her sightings, other than the fact that they were during storms?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: