You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Confrontations

Real Ghost Stories

Confrontations

 

I have submitted my personal experiences with the paranormal but as my mom passed in 2008, I have decided to write about her experiences.

My mom was born with "the sight" as some would say, and had numerous experiences throughout her life such as seeing and her deceased younger sister crying at her bed side for a few weeks prior to the divorce of her parents.

My mom would also hear someone singing Amazing Grace, for a week prior to a family member's passing. She would always talk about the singing the minute it started so this was not just a story.

My mom, bless her soul, was prone to exaggeration but there were 2 stories that have stuck by me AND they were validated by my father.

Just some background, my dad passed in 2001 and was a man of few words. He was a wonderful father, the best one could wish for. But daddy was extremely practical and as honest as the day was long. He was a very straightforward, no nonsense person. It is because of this that I believe the following 2 stories.

My parents moved often due to my dad's work, so I cannot recall where they said this occurred. Nevertheless, my oldest brother, Desmond, was just a little boy of approx. 2 years of age when my parents moved into a new house.

They had only stayed there a few days when weird things started happening. My dad said that every single night, they would put my brother to bed then retire to the lounge to listen to the radio. At exactly 10pm every night my brother would be dragged down the corridor screaming in terror. My dad would run and grab him, literally struggling with an unseen force until Desmond was released. They could then put him back in bed, re-lock the front door and go to bed themselves. The rest of the night would be peaceful.

Dad said that no matter if they locked or barricaded the front door, it would always be open after this episode.

When they asked Desmond if he could see anything, all he said was that the "man" had a ring with a black stone on his finger.

My parents moved as soon as they could and the experiences stopped. Whatever it was, stayed behind.

The second experience that stayed with me was this:

My mom was in her 30's when she started experiencing "sleep paralysis" and turn blue from lack of oxygen. Only when dad pulled her into an upright position and shook her, would things return to normal.

In absolute desperation my parents sought spiritual help, and were told that my mother's grandfather, who had passed many, many years prior, wanted my mother to go with him. Mom's granddad, was apparently very fond of her, now he was determined to have her at his side, in death. To be honest, this sounds like bulls**t to me, but I don't suppose that matters. What does matter, is that a cleansing/shielding/exorcism/whatever thing was done and the "sleep paralysis" stopped completely.

As I said there were many other experiences but none made as much impression on me as these 2, because they were validated by my father.

Other hauntings by annie16

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, annie16, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

annie16 (13 stories) (53 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
Sorry, I missed OCgirl. Yes, my brother remembered the occurrences well into adulthood. Unfortunately he passed away in 1989, but until his death, he would take off running as fast as he could when he was frightened in any way. He wouldn't even look back. Of course, the rest of the family would terrorise him to no end. I mean, who doesn't enjoy a good laugh at someone else's expense?
annie16 (13 stories) (53 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-01-04)
Hi everyone. I am sorry for only replying now but here I go.
RCRuskin, unfortunately I know nothing about my great grandfather other than this story and that he treated my mom as his own daughter.
Roylynx, I am not sure what my parents used. I personally use sage (smudging), salt and prayer.
Temilicious, thanks for your comment. I am from English and Afrikaans descent. My mother was Afrikaans so as far as I know this is definitely not part of the Afrikaner culture.
Bibliothecarius, thanks for clarifying but what I can't understand is that this could not have been sleep paralysis or Sleep Apnea as it only lasted for a month or two. The minute the cleansing was done, my mom slept peacefully with no interruptions or reoccurrences.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-28)
Greetings, Annie16.

In Sleep Paralysis, people cannot move because the sympathetic nervous system is blocked, preventing the body's movement in reaction to dreams. In Sleep Apnea, on the other hand, is a condition which stops a person's normal breathing (a function of the parasympathetic nervous system) during sleep.

-Biblio.
OCGirl (4 stories) (64 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-27)
How horrific! To be dragged like that every night must have been horrible for your brother, especially so young. Does he remember that occurring?

Thanks for sharing
Temilicious (7 stories) (99 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2016-12-27)
Hi Annie,

I'm also South African and in the Xhosa/Zulu cultures we believe that death often comes in twos- that the deceased will take another relative with them to keep them company. Sometimes it happens, other times it doesn't. That's why we're always warned not to follow the dead in our dreams especially if they beckoning to us. Personally I've never understood why a loved one would want to take you, but I guess they view things differently when on the other side, I don't know. I just think it's selfish.

I have visits from my mom and at the end of our conversations she always say tells me to wait here, that she's coming back, but never does until I wake up. Other times when I do follow her she confuses me and I feel like I'm in a maze.
So my point is (there's a point to all this. Lol), your parent's second experience could be true.

Thanks for sharing your stories with us.
roylynx (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-27)
Interesting stories and thanks for sharing!
What sort of methods do you guys use for cleansing? My grandmother used to use a shaman ritual and some crystals as well, it is kind of unique. Just wondering if anything would be similar.

Did you yourself experience any odds? You seem to have experience yourself too, why don't you tell us about it? I am sure it would be very interesting!

Blessing from São Paulo
E.Lynx
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-26)
Definitely not 'scientific sleep paralysis' here. I do have a question: was your mom's grandfather known for being kinder or more unfriendly as a general rule?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: