You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: La Bruja

Real Ghost Stories

La Bruja

 

This is two stories in one.

This story takes place in the beautiful country of Mexico. I was about 10 years old. My family planned to vacation to my mother's home town in Mexico. We live in Missouri and decided to drive there, so we had about a two-day commute.

Everything was just fine until we reached the border of Texas and Mexico. We noticed that my mother was asleep and it looked as though she was having a nightmare. She began screaming, "No! No! Don't touch me, leave my family alone!" Then she woke up. We asked her what happened. She said that she dreamt as we were crossing the border all of the dead souls of Mexico began to surround the car and reached their arms into the car grabbing her and the rest of us. She said there were hundreds of them and they were trying to stop us from getting in. The odd thing about this is she dreamt about being at the border when in reality, we were actually at the border. She couldn't have known this; she was sleeping. So we made it through the border and about eight hours later, we made it to her home town, Ario de Rayon, Michoacan, Mexico (town, state, and country).

I do not remember much about the visit, but I do remember the day we went for a walk through the woods. It was a normal day and me and my brother and sisters decided there was absolutely nothing to do. All of the elders got together to make lunch and we, somehow, were the only children there.

We ate lunch and decided to go on a journey through the woods. Little did we know, it was a bad idea. We walked down the dirt road until it came to a dead end. From there, we walked through the plains that lead into a wooded area. We walked about 100 feet into the woods then it began to storm out of no where. This was very odd because it was a very sunny day and there was no sign of a storm coming. We all looked at each other very confused.

Then, all of a sudden we heard a woman cry. Her cry was painful and would end with a scream. I was so frightened we all just stood there frozen and didn't say a word. The cry began to sound like it was getting closer. We just stood there waiting to see what would happen. Suddenly, my sister let out the most horrifying scream ever. The rest of us looked at her and she was staring up into the trees. We all looked to see what she was looking at. I will never forget that scream and I will never forget what I saw in the trees that day. A woman crucified about 40 feet up the tree. She looked down at us and we looked up at her. She was wearing a faded, black, torn dress. Her hair was dark and tangled. She had scars on her face and legs. She looked like a zombie.

After a few seconds of us screaming and crying, we began to sprint out of the woods. We looked back and the woman was gone, but we kept running. As soon as we hit the plains, there was no more rain. We stopped running and recollected ourselves. We didn't understand why it wasn't raining anymore and it looked like it had never rained. We walked back into the town and gathered with the elders.

They noticed right away the terror in our faces and asked us our whereabouts. We told them our story and to our surprise, they believed us. We cried as we told the story and then sat back to hear the elders' explanation. They explained that about 100 years ago there was a woman who was accused of "brujeria" (accused of being a witch).

She was murdered by the townspeople. Before her assassination, when she would walk the streets, people would often throw things at her. Some would throw crucifixes. My grandmother said that there have been people that claim to see her in the woods, but most of the reports were made by children. The raining was explained to be a sign of pain and sin. This encounter traumatized me as a child. I will never forget the sound of the woman's cries followed by lightening and thunder. I couldn't speak of this to other children in school, because no one believed me. I once told my best friend, but she laughed and said I freaked her out. After that, she never talked to me again. From there on. I never told any of my stories to the kids at school.

Please feel free to comment. I am open for discussion.

Other hauntings by Jasmin314

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jasmin314, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mystery1 (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-26)
that must of been a creepy experience! Wow I can not believe you were ten! 😲 😲 😲
RoblesRocks (1 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-03)
wow! What a terrifying experience! I would be traumatized too! I have been to Michoacan and it does rain (and sometimes like a storm) all of a sudden, very scary.

PS Love that you said that this story takes place in the beautiful country of Mexico cause it is!
deannah (12 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-25)
WOW! A very chilling story! I know very well how it feels to have people look at you like you're lying or a freak when you tell them what's happened to you. Even your closest friends. I have NO doubt what you saw was real. I had a similar experience outside my parent's house one night except when I heard the cries coming from the woods behind the house and I ran back inside. It sounded like a man screaming as if he was in severe pain. It scared me to death! I understand how you feel!
lupitabejarvera (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-27)
OMG! That is very scary!
Both of my parents are from Ario de Rayon Michoacan too... And I do believe in your story because a lot of crazy stuff does happen there. And yeah when you are a little kid you see things differently (about the 8 hours lol)... But yeah you were only 10 so yeah!... I have only been to Ario twice and I loved it over there even though a lot of crazy S**T does happen over there 😊 I'm glad you guys ended up ok though
A lot of people when they see these things die, or kill themselvess cause of the trauma
❤ lupita
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-06)
Hey Diana! Thanks for reading and I appreciate that you believe the story. Lol I also believe most stpries told about Meixico because I really think that so many parts of Mexico are cursed or haunted. There is so much evil that I have heard of. Good Idea to pray. I also do that. ❤ Jasmin
DIANA21 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-03)
that was really scary I always say to my self that if something like that ever happens to me I would die instantly I wouldn't be able to handle it. But I believe your story my family is also from ario de rayon and villafuerte and they would tell me stories of things they had seen or went trough back when they were in their home town. We usually go every year and when were over their I always pray a lot before going to sleep and I try not to think of all the stories taht I have herd.
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-18)
WOw it has been a while since I have been on this site. Sorry I disappeared! Ok SO Rosa thank you for the comment. Its nice that you lived there for 10 years. Ario is a great place. I have only been there once. I probably will never go back. It doesn't really have anything to do with this story though. Ok so I was ten years old and things arent always what they seem when you are ten. Thank you for clarifying that it wouldn't have taken eight hours to get to ario. I probably should have gotten the right amount of time from my mom but I didn't I just wrote the story as I remembered. But thanks for your comment and I am sure you know the distance and time it would have taken to get there. Especially since you lived there for ten years. About the woods I don't mean like a wooded area with dead maple leaves and things like that. I don't really know why I remember trees but I do and that is where the lady was hanging. Just in case you haven't read a lot of these stories online, umm none really make complete sense. They are just things that happened and we are on here in hopes that someone can comment and help make sense of what happened. Of course, no one is forced to believe any of these stories at all! I think you must be really unhappy though if you don't believe any of these happenings on this site. Maybe you should try a different website. Maybe I am wrong. Well I hope that I explained enough for your satifaction. Thank you for your comment. By the way, I wish it was a dream but it wasnt. I am sorry if you or people you know can't tell dreams from reality. Again and Again Thanks for your comment they are always appreciated. ❤ Jasmin
rosa (2 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
P.S. There are actually NO woods in that part of Michoacan. Maybe the whole thing was a bad dream you had.:)
rosa (2 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Uh, my parents are from Ario de Rayon, and I lived there for about 10 years. There is NO WAY you could have made it from the Texas-Mexico border to that town in Michoacan in EIGHT hours. You're talking about ONE THOUSAND miles, more or less...
Afro_nuts (3 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-01-02)
Buena historia Jasmin... Yo simplemente me viera cagado en los calcones! 😲
Grimm (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-03)
sorry I'm new to this but I was wondering if you ever researched any of this, other than jus hear-say. Sounds scary, like some blair witch type stuff. Do you ever wonder what might happen if you decide to ever go back?
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-14)
Very interesting story! It is interesting that sometimes what you think could be a fable could really be based in truth! 😁
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-13)
You must have been terrified! What a thing to see at such a young age.

Jennifer ❤
normajean (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-11)
You were so brave to even look up, after a scream you described! I would of just ran and heard the details later!
Thank you for sharing your story jasmin ❤
vanelle22 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-11)
Wow...I would have frozed... I swear sometimes I think its good that when we were young we went through these encounters because I know If I seen anything like that at my age... I dunnoooo... That was a scary as* story! Thank you for sharing because I know how it is to recall such a traumatizing experience... 😳
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-11)
Hi Jasmine. That was a very scary story. I think I would drop dead if I saw a women nailed to a tree. That is something very scary. I'm not surprissed that youcried. I guess that lady is living the last seconds of her life. Thanks for sharring this story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-11)
I can see where this would tramatize a kid... I think it would even tramatize an adult. Being a scardy cat, I would have high-tailed it when I heard the scream. I'm not certain if this woman could have been a witch, or if she was just a victim of prejudice as well. Back in history, if a woman refused a man of high authority, in matters of lust, he could claim she was a witch and have her killed, and same goes for if she got on to some one of high authorities child, and they decided to call her a witch. Three young girls had several women killed during the witch trials, just because, and it backfired when one accused her own father.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
So you are saying all the kids saw the same thing? Unless it was a mass hallucination I would think you kids witnessed something very unusual. Good thing the elders believed you and related the story. What an awful thing to happened to anyone. Such prejudice breeds fear and violence. What we fear we kill. Ignorance can be fatal. Reminds me of the witch burnings in Salem. People look for scapegoats and there is never a shortage of them. I can imagine the effect this vision and what you heard in the woods that day makes you a believer. Such a violent and tragic event may have imprinted itself in the area it happened and you may have witnessed a residual type haunting. The rain I have no explanation for other than it can rain in a certain area without touching another area we have all seen this while traveling. The road will be wet and then dry like it was never touched by the rain. Great story and I hope it has not lead to any lasting trauma in your life.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Stories such as yours makes me think, thank you for making me think 😊.

FRAWIN 😊
MGM4801 (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
I saw something simalar to that in a dream (and by that I mean the crucified woman on the tree) freaky...
~braedon 😕
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
kimsoutho you are right. My sightings have helped mold me into who I am today. I am not very judgemental. I understand a lot of people are living in a bubble which they convey to be the way of life, but really there's much more...there's the otherside.
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Yes this will never leave my mind for the rest of my life. I am not as scared as I used to be, but yes it was traumatizing. My older sister Rosa sw it first. To be honest me and my brothers and sister don't talk about it very much. When we do, the dialogue is somewhat like this, "yea that was freakin scary..." or "omg let's not talk about it, I will have nightmares again..."continued with silence all the time. I have never really thought about that but now that's someone mentions it, when we talk about it there is always a lot of silence...huh?...
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
I believe perhaps she shows herself to children because children are most able to see her, hear her and witness her pain. As cruel to the children witnessing this as that sounds, she is conveying her horror and in event receivingv at least some sympathy from the children.

You indicated these screams and the sight of this woman has stayed with you forever. I am certain it has changed and helped to make you who you are today, as with others she has presented herself to.

You may be a bit more patient and less quick to judge others. If this is the case, her site worked for the better in that case (and hopefully for other children as well)!

Thanks for sharing your story with us!

God Bless!
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
This is a shocker. It seems as though your mother may have had a premonition as you were crossing the border. What of your sister who saw the bruja first? Was she not traumatized too? And your other siblings? How do they talk about it now?
Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Whoa. You definetly had an odd experience that'll be stuck in your mind for the rest of your life. Whoa... I visualized it as I read your story. Great story, btw. You are a good writer! If I was you, when you go back to Mexico, go to that place just to see what happens. Maybe a feeling? Maybe nothing... You should and then post it! Take care! Sweet dreams...
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
And again I apologize. I should have read the previous comment you made.

Sorry 😳
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Hi Jasmin!

It's as if you stepped into another time in history and were allowed to witness a dramatic scene of the past.

Hmmm! Many people see rain as sinful. Strange, to me it signifies catharsis (cleansing)!

I have to wonder though, was that woman really a witch or just a victim of the locals' prejudice?
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
To answer the questions so far, a crucifix is a cross with Jesus nailed onto it. If you know anything about Jesus, then you know he is christ and the savior of mankind... According to the Catholics.Christians. He was crucified to a cross to signify his love for us. The crucifix is a reminder of his sacrifice.

I was 10 years old back then and I am now 20. The screams of the woman were terrifying. Unless you have heard someone scream when they were full of emotional and physical pain, then you would have no idea how terrifying her cry actually was. I am not sure if the woman was really a witch, but I think she probably wasn't. If you know the Mexican, Catholic culture, the you know how falsely they can accuse people of sin. According to them, everything is a darn sin. But who really knows? She could have been an evil witch. What I don't understand is why is she showing herself mostly to children?
senseye (4 stories) (32 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
scary! I wonder how the cry sounded, you said its like full of pain... Feel sad about the woman... Do you think shes really a witch?
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-10)
Whoa! This was a really terrifying experience for you! If you don't mind, can you please tell me what is the meaning of crucifixes? I really don't know! Oh and by the way, how many years old were you then and how many years old are you now? Just asking! I have read your stories and I like all of them! Thanks!

Biemaster

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: