You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost Farmer 2

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Farmer 2

 

I have posted before about the "farmer" I often saw in my backyard. I just thought I'd mention a few more things that took place while growing up.

1. Most fathers have their "favorite chair." My dad was no exception. It was this old chair from the 70's. It rocked back and forth. It also swiveled. It being old, made noises whenever one sat in it. Often at night you would hear that "squeak" the swivel feature made. We're talking late at night. I would quietly get up and go into the living room to check. Nobody would be up. Lights out. TV off. I'd like to note this was a small ranch style home, so anyone that may be up (i.e in the kitchen) could be seen.

2. My bedroom was across from the bathroom. Lucky me growing up. You would hear the water running even the toilet flush. I use to pass this off as someone getting up in the middle of the night. But it never "felt right." Much like my dad's chair, I would peek my head out my door. Nobody there, nobody in the hall. Both my parents and grandparent's bedroom doors were hard to open (they kept them shut at night) and you could hear if someone had opened the door. 100% of the time I heard water randomly run, I didn't hear the opening of a bedroom door before or after.

3. They say animals can sense things humans can't. I believe it. I was a proud owner of a Beagle. He spent most of his time in the kitchen. Sleeping...eating...etc. Sometimes, he would just stare into space. Now I know it's an animal... And maybe they're just thinking about a rabbit or something. But he always had this very direct stare like someone/something was in the kitchen.

4. Like most teenagers, I spent time in my bedroom on the computer. I however kept my bedroom door open (easy access if I had to go to the bathroom.) With my back to the open doorway/hallway, I often felt like someone was in the hall. First I chalked it up to paranoia. When nobody was home, I would have this strong feeling that someone was in the hall watching me.

I would like to end that I never saw a "human" figure ghost type thing in the house. I just often felt like there were more people in the house than my family. I hope this made sense to those reading. Good day and best wishes to all.

Other hauntings by hobbyholly

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hobbyholly, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-02)
thank you kwazi (I sent you that email, so feel free to take the address down earlier if you would like)

Sadly my childhood home was torn down and a "McMansion" put in its place. I have no desire to talk to the new owners. My old neighbors still live in the house next store. Perhaps I should get in contact with them.

As much as I would love to go back to the property, it is too painful. It may sound silly to some, but even driving through the old neighborhood pains me
Kwazimoto (5 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-02)
I loved this story, and how you didn't necessarily see anything (other than the "Farmer") but you just knew something else was there.

I think this is actually residual from when we lived far more primitive lives, and were more in tune with our surroundings. While we all still have this ability, only some tap into it, like the better police officers and soldiers who can "sense" (for want of a better term) when something is not right.

This is how you can look up and across a crowded room straight into the eyes of someone else, because without even being aware of it you still felt their gaze and on a subconscious level you knew you were being watched.

Hopefully you will be notified of this comment because I know you want to get in touch with me, so for the next couple of days I'm making my email available on my profile here on this site, but after June 6th I'll be making it private again to avoid spam-bots.
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-29)
I can't seem to figure out why, someone would buy a house just to tear it down, it's like they ain't got no respect for the people alive or dead that lived in that house, just so they could have a mansion built. I have a feeling that the farmer will be haunting them a quite more often. Thanks for sharing that comment, I just don't see how some people can't just let the dead be peaceful with something they loved, and were connected to. It might just be me, but who knows... 😊
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
I never felt threatened. It was eerie for sure. My father's chair making noises in the middle of the night was the thing I never could get use to.

We had to sell the house around 2003. The new owners tore it down and built some McMansion that doesn't fit in with the neighborhood. They tore down the two sheds, flower beds and the tree I use to swing from. I wonder if they see the farmer. If so, I'd imagine he'd be angry they tore down the shed he seemed to like
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Hobbyholly, welcome back and thank you for another fascinating account. Your first story about the farmer triggered my curiosity so I kept checking to see if you would post more-I'm glad you did.

Had it only been a few random sounds in the house, I would have chalked it up to 'natural causes' and such but since you already have a ghost farmer in the yard and, most importantly almost everyone in the family sense 'another crowd' at home among you, I'm going to have to trust their instincts. And yet it doesn't seem to be anything threatening-I'm not even sure if 'they' perceive YOUR presence.

PS:after reading your profile... I miss Chicago too!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-27)
Hello hobbyholly. I think we are surrounded by ghosts and/or spirits all the time, some of us are sensitive to them and some of us are not.
Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
oh how embarrassing. I meant to spell "while" not "why she has never..."

Sorry I guess I'm sorta anal about spelling things correctly on the internet

😳
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Hi, maybe the farmer thought that since you and your dad has seen him, he might think he is still alive, but if he still continues to stay around, and you continue to hear these noises, just tell them that they are dead and to follow the white light, and give you and your family peace. Sorry, I couldn't be much help. Great story. 😊
Grinder (5 stories) (22 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
Thanks for the post, Hobbyholly. I kind of agree with Tonith about the bathroom water running. I have the same problem at my place, but it's because I can't get off my duff to fix the clapper on the toilet. It actually sounds like someone flushes when no ones there, but I've figuered out that it's actually a mechanical thing.

Still, don't be put off about the feeling that someone might be there. I have quite a few experiences that have convinced me to never have my back to an open door in case I might miss something. I've turned my computer desk around at home just because of that.

I hate to go all 'Star Wars' on you, but really... Trust your feelings. But also remember, if it hasn't done harm, down't be afraid. There's always something to learn from them if you want to seek it out.

As for animals seeing / feeling things, I completely agree they can. If they aren't growling, though, I'd say it's not a threat. My three cats love the little girl who sits in my living room (maybe even more than me 😢) but once again, no harm done.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-26)
My father would discuss the farmer now and then. I would occasionally approach him about the feeling I got from the hallway. He said he would feel the same thing as well when using the computer in my bedroom.

My grandparents not really. They were hard of hearing, and just normal "old people" for lack of better terms.

I've mentioned some things to my mom. Why she has never come out and said she heard or saw something, she did tell me she felt uneasy alone in the house. Or uneasy sitting alone even during the day.

I don't know if this was a ghost/spirit whatever. I don't know if it was hormones. I just know what I felt and heard
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
Makes perfect sense to me!

It can certainly be an unnerving thing to feel someone around you but not be able to see him/her. I think it would drive me completely round the bend.

I've been lucky, though--if I see anything, it's genrally just somethiing from the corner of my eye!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
The feeling of being watched can come from an electromagnetic field which can be anything from exposed wires to a breaker box that isn't properly grounded. A water heater can do the same thing. They give off energy. Toilets can flush if the water level comes up too much and if your faucets are not tight fitting even hot water can make them turn on again on their own coupled with pressure from inside the pipes. All this said that doesn't mean you don't have a spirit. I just think we should always find the natural cause before we go thinking it's supernatural. If you were the only one to experience these things then I would tend to go with the fact that teens can be very sensitive when their hormones are in full gear. Just leaves the question if are you causing the phenomenon or do you have a real ghost?
lilblackpom (13 stories) (218 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
This sounds creepy. The property could have paranormal activity. I have read so many stories from Illinois. That State sounds totally haunted! 😆 Thanks for your story, I enjoyed reading it. 😉
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-25)
With the other events you have described about the farmer, it is not a wonder these events and occurances would cause you some discomfort.

I am curious, did any members of your family ever discuss hearing thes things or having the same sense of being watched you did?

Thanks for sharing,
God Bless

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: