You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Black Foot Reservation - Ghostly Campsite

Real Ghost Stories

Black Foot Reservation - Ghostly Campsite

 

I encountered another ghostly campsite while hiking with some friends on the Black Foot reservation by Minnie White Horse Lake, aka Cooper Lake. We had gone to the lake to fish but several of us were not big on fishing so we decided to go hiking instead.

Me, my ex husband Shawn, my brother Mikee, and his girl Sarah went hiking while the rest stayed to fish.

We had been hiking around for about an hour when we began to smell smoke. We followed our noses until we found the source.

At first I thought it was just a small group of braves on some kind of special camp out because they were all Indians dressed in traditional costume. The group consisted of 4 men about 40-45 years old and one man who looked to be in his 50s or 60s.

Since I thought they were there for a special reason I began to turn away. That's when I noticed that even though a fire burned brightly in the fire pit no one was adding fuel to it and it never consumed any of the fuel already there.

I decided to see what would happen if I spoke to one of them. I stepped forward and said "Oki" (hi) none of them even glanced at me. I tried once more "Oki, I come in peace." again no response. I looked at the rest of the group and they all looked as puzzled as I was. Shawn thought maybe they wouldn't talk to a woman for some reason so he tried "Oki" nothing happened, each of us tried in turn to get a response but we did not exist in their world.

After us trying over and over to make contact the camp faded away. As soon as the camp was gone I stepped into the middle and began digging around with a stick, after a bit of digging I found a couple of rocks that were burned on one side as if they had been in a fire ring.

We returned to the rest of the group and told them what had happened. My friend Katrina thought we were making it up but finally agreed we had seen "something" since we all told the same story.

Other hauntings by AmberMoonPriestess

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AmberMoonPriestess, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-23)
well kwghost it was on the Blackfoot Reservation, near Cooper Lake, so the history of the area is pretty simple.

After being run off their ancestral lands in other areas the Tribes had to live in the area defined by the reservation borders, all their everyday activities played out in the forests around the Lake so I would think its no more surprising to find a random residual of an everyday activity such as a hunting camp than it would be to find the residual activity of a woman cooking dinner in an old house.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-23)
Whitebuffalo,

I don't recall the exact amount of time, but it is pretty easy to tell when a fire is not using any fuel. It is a bit hard to describe a fire in writing, but when one is burning bright and hot it constantly needs to be fed, in the whole time we stood there watching and trying to make contact none of the men ever added anything to the fire and the fire never died down.
friendlyghost34 (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-08)
Ok. That's really really freaky. LOL! I like ghosts they're cool! I have one in my house.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-02)
HOW long did you stand there to be able to notice NO fuel was being used?

I would say this sounds like a residual type haunting. No ghost present, only the "imprint" of the emotion of THAT time.
Thank you.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-31)
troy

No its a similar event that happened in Montana. In the forestland around a lake.

Dead Horse Drop is in Utah, in desert land.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-31)
Is this part of your story, "The Camp By Dead Horse Point?". It sounds almost just like it.

Anyway, I agree with others and think this would be a residual haunting.
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
i feel that some indians when they came for a tour were drowned to death there! This may make them ghosts and indians remain as sprits if they die unusally (mostly) this is possible because iam an indian and I encountered many experiences with my folks who were dead which I will post later and enquire about the history mam!
Never I say anything because iam
Scary boy
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-29)
The sight must have been of some import to the men that all of you saw for their residual energy to replay after all the time that has passed. Thank you for sharing another of your experiences with us 😊. Did you ever find out if the sight had any historical significance? God bless.
kwghost (1 stories) (40 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
hmm...quite...interesting...do you know like the location where it hapenned? Then you should go and find out the history
brenda329 (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
It sounds like maybe the ghosts were attached to the actual place you were at somehow. Thanks for sharing. Blessings.

Brenda
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
Here, here! I agree with whitebuffalo on all accounts. It really does sound like a residual haunting.

Blessings
DA
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
See, now THIS one... Well, save for the bit about the fire pit.
HOW long did you stand there to be able to notice NO fuel was being used?

I would say this sounds like a residual type haunting. No ghost present, only the "imprint" of the emotion of THAT time.
Thank you.
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-28)
This is so amazing, since one of them actually reacted to your efforts to talk to them... Dont understand why none of them acknowledged your presence. But yeah its something that you vitnessed this...:)

Regards & Prayers,
Logan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: