You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Fading Footprints on Deck

Real Ghost Stories

Fading Footprints on Deck

 

Boating is a very popular past time in the town where I grew up. Many people have cabins on islands "out the bay", one of which is called Swan Island. Swan Island was once inhabited by Beothuk Indians, all of which were killed by diseases or murdered by white people. There is a confirmed Indian Burial ground on one side of the island.

When I was seven years old, my family and I were staying withe my Uncle and his family in his Cabin cruiser, which was tied to the dock in Swan Island harbour. About 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning, we all awoke to the sound of footsteps walking across the deck, inches above our heads. The footsteps walked from the bow of the boat, over the flybridge, down the ladder, and across the lower deck to the stern. Thinking it was a late-night caller, my uncle put on his boots, went up through the wheelhouse and out to the lower deck where the footsteps were last heard.

The fog was so thick outside that it took a couple of seconds for him to get his bearings. He first noticed that there was no one on the lower deck. Then he noticed that we were nowhere near the dock in Swan Island Harbour, but were drifting out to sea. He had no idea where we were, in which direction we were going, or why we were drifitng away. He moored the boat in deep water and kept watch until the next morning, when he dicovered that we had drifted for miles, towards the burial ground side of the island. The bowline that had previously secured us to the dock was slashed with what must have been a very dull knife. No other boats were nearby.

We all went above deck only to find, disappearing in the morning dew, fading footprints --- bare feet --- in an almost straight line from bow to stern.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-05-19)
SilverWolf77 - since the o/p is no longer an active member, you may not get an answer to your question.
SilverWolf77 (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-19)
Any chance that it was just a *very malicious* prank that one of the other residents had pulled on you, sneaking onto your boat in the middle of the night and cutting it loose before sneaking off again?
Dinky (3 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-31)
Hi Michelle

If that happened to me I would've been quite spooked, plus I suffer from sea sickness! Does anyone live on that island today? I initially thought it was a spirit but when you mentioned the rope being cut I thought of a flesh and blood culprit. But who knows? I know nothing of ghosts and what they are capable of.
It's certainly an incident I'd remember for the rest of my life.
ghostchaser489 (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
Creepy. Now that you're older, you should definitely go back and check out the burial grounds. Sounds like unfinished business, to me. Nice story!
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-13)
wow that's an awesome story!

I love boating... No ghosts on my boat though lol... Keep it up!
Janice (7 stories) (248 posts)
 
17 years ago (2006-12-31)
wow, that's creepy, are you sure that maybe your brother or a relative hadn't gone out and walked like that? There has to be something there because there were footprints, you said, and everybody heard it, well wow I bet it was the spirit of one of those indians, luring you to the burial ground, trying to tell you something. I couldn't be so sure but I'm giving you my best ideas and thoughts about this.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: