You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Crochet Nightmare

Real Ghost Stories

The Crochet Nightmare

 

This story takes place in the early 1980's. I was around the age of 7 and just like any other little girl I loved my dolls. The house next door to mine was owned by two sisters Annie and Pauline. They were the nicest ladies on the block. In the summer time they would take out their folding chairs and sit in front of their house and crochet. They made everything, you name it they could crotchet it. Annie and Pauline used to make me things too. They made me a set of pom poms for my roller skates, a scarf, a hat and even a set of pot holders for my mother.

This particular summer they made me a doll out of yarn. I remember exactly what it looked like. The body was made of yellow yarn, and had little light blue bows for eyes and a red piece of yarn for the mouth. They even crocheted yarn on top of the doll's head to give it hair. My mom came home from work and said to me "look Jenn, Annie and Pauline made you this doll isn't that nice"? They were sitting outside when I got home and they told me to give it to you. I liked it right away, and thought it was the cutest thing. My mom then said to me when you see them tomorrow don't forget to thank them. I assured my mother that I would, and took the doll into my room. On the back of the doll's head there was a loop so I could hang it on the wall if I wanted, which is exactly what I did. I placed it on a hook on the wall opposite of my bed. My bedroom was square shaped and my bed was positioned along the wall on the left side of the room facing the entrance. On the right side of the room was a window. Behind my bed was another long wall where my dresser was.

That night was just like any other, I had dinner watched some TV and around 9:00pm it was time for me to go to bed. My mother came in to say good night turned out my light and headed off to bed herself. She turned off the light in the living room so the only light coming into my room was the moonlight coming in from my window. I snuggled down into my bed getting comfy for the night, when I looked up and saw the doll hanging there on the hook. I remember thinking to myself how much I liked the doll and how cute it was, and like any other little girl smiled at the doll and told it good night. Well what happened next I will never ever forget.

Everything about the doll changed. Its eyes were no longer little blue bows, they were dark black holes, and so was the mouth. (My hands are shaking as I type this) I watched in horror as it lifted its arms up over its head and opened its mouth with this twisted demonic look on its face. I was completely terrified. I couldn't even get up to run out of the room because I would have to have passed the wall it was hanging on and was sure that it if I tried it was going to grab me. My next thought was that it was going to jump off the hook and come after me. I had no choice but to grab the covers and hold them tightly over my head. I was shaking uncontrollably. I stood that way all night long, when the morning came I was sweating so badly because like I said it was the summer and I didn't have an air conditioner in my room. My bed was completely soaked and as soon as the sun was up so was I. I ran to my mom and told her what happened. Of course she didn't believe me, and said I was dreaming. I insisted I wasn't because it happened as soon as she left my room. Then my mom used the moonlight as an excuse and said it was a trick of the light. Yeah ok, that was some trick.

After a while of trying to get my mother to believe me, I just finally said I don't want the doll. Get it out of my room, and out of the house. My mother didn't want to do this because the sisters worked so hard on it, and felt bad throwing it away. I watched as she took the doll and tried to put it in my toy chest. I said OH NO! Get it out, I don't even want it in the house throw it out. I wouldn't stop until my mom put the doll in a bag and tied several knots in it so it couldn't get out. I watched as she went downstairs and threw it in the garbage can in the alley way.

When I saw the sisters later that day they asked me about the doll. I politely thanked them and said that I liked it. Not telling them a thing about the nightmare that took place the night before. Years passed by and Pauline had gotten sick and passed away. Annie was left to take care of the house on her own. She is still alive and my parents now live in an apartment in her house. Annie still sits outside on a nice day and crochets.

If anybody has any idea what might have happened that night, please feel free to comment. I would really like to know if it was a demon or something else.

Thanks for reading. Ciao for now

Other hauntings by cosmogal926

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cosmogal926, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

dorothy9998 (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
mabye the yarn was cursed and they didn't know sorry for my bad typeing...
dorothy9998 (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
mabye the sisters got the yarn from somewere and the yarnwas cursedand they didn't know it and that's why the doll became alive I don't know its just my guess
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-13)
hi5girl, I got rid of the doll that scared me to pieces. So if you are willing to get rid of yours, then I think that is your best bet. I don't know if there is anything else you can do aside from giving it away, but if the doll is haunted then you are just going to pass the burden on to someone else. Sorry, I hope everything turns out ok for you. Thanks 😊
hi5girl (16 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-13)
it is that there have been noises that sound like paper crinkiling but my mom is in bed by 9:30 and it is never where I put it so yeah it is really freaky got any ideas besides putting it in the sprare room closet if so thanks 😊
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-13)
hi5girl, thank you for your comment. So what's going on with this doll to make you think it is haunted? I remember when the movie Child's Play came out. My Dad rented it one night, and before I sat down to watch it I took all my dolls and put them in a closet in the spare room... Just in case. You might want to try that for a while until you feel ready to take them back out. 😊
hi5girl (16 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-10)
i have a doll my name boght me but I think it might be haunted and a marithon of scary movies at my friends is not helping
Divine4 (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-05)
Oh my... I would not like to have that happen to me! 😢 How did you stand it I would have screamed
❤ Divine4 ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-02)
Hey Ghostbeliever1234 and Believer4Sure thank you both for your comments and for sharing your experiences with dolls. Both of your stories gave me the chills. Even though this happened to me a long time ago, I still get creeped out around certain dolls. I don't think you ever get over something like this. 😕
Believer4Sure (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
hey,GhostBeliever. Youre not hte only one. I'm 13 now, but when I was twelve you know those bratz heads design things. Well one day I woke up for school 6:00 am. And I have this white desk facing my bed and the doll was on it so I looked at it and it seemed like it was looking directly at me so I got creeped out. But you would not know how I felt when this next thing happened. Like I was saying it creeped me out so I hid under the covers. Then I heard what was scraping across the desk then when I looked it was faced toward the wall (from where I was my left) I thought it was my cat so then I looked and I didn't see her. I got creeped out again then hid back under the covers. Then heard more scraping the I peeked from under the covers and it was moved foward a little and back facing me. I was soo scared I started crying! 😭 then what I thought was my cat jumped on my lap. (by this point I was so scared I couldn't tell sweat from tears) to make sure I shook my legs a little and then my cat growled. But it didn't sould like a cat growl. It sounded more demonic. Then I heard whispering in my ear then I bolted out of my room and down the hall to my moms room and jumped on the bed crying (not noticing I was scared enought to forget my school clothes in the room) my mom asked what was wrong and I told her. She started laughing and I was mad that she didn't believe me. I was so scared and when I went on the bus there was an empty seat behind me and I felt a presence go past me into the seat behind me. It had followed me onto the bus. I told my friend and she believed me all the way. GhostBeleiver don't be scared just believe in it and overcome it.
*=Believer4Sure=*
GhostBeliver1234 (29 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-30)
I hate dolls even Barbies'... Once with my first best friend (we first met in kinderyard) were playing with Barbies'. She noticed that her doll was changing her mouth from smile to grin then slowly to mad face. But it happened so slow that I hardly noticed it on my doll too! At first we tought it was our imagination and giggled. And kept on playing. You know how they make the mouth smiles with the teeth. Well I swear when I removed her clothes the smile was normal with the teeth but after I grabbed the next dress and looked at her, her smile was without the teeth and I SWEAR I NEVER changed the doll it was in my hands! 😨 Since then when I see my younger cousin's Barbies' they always have their heads turned at me no matter my cousin leaves them the other way. Since then I never saw a doll again and hope I will never do! I'm 13 and I enjoy my stuffed animals that my mom sometimes bring me as presents from Spain. They are cute, soft and cuddly and way better than Barbies'! By the way one of my dolls had the same face once. But good thing I'm only with the stuffed animals 😆

Best Wishes from Mirela ❤
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-27)
It is not uncommon for many cultures even from ancient times to use dolls or human like figurines/statues as items for a spirit or spirits to reside in, so maybe that's why some modern day dolls seem "haunted."
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-20)
I don't blame you one bit jerryhend1. I'm not afraid of many things, but creepy looking dolls I just can't deal with. Thanks for your comment 😊
jerryhend1 (3 stories) (136 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-17)
At one time I was seeing a lady that was from the north of Italy and she had a china cabeint full of Harlequin dolls, the creepist collection you could see and she would take them out and dust them and this is the worst part talk to them, it didn't last long for me...
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-03)
Hi Ghostbusters, Thanks for reading my story, and for your comment. It could very well have been something that was passing through and jumped into the doll to scare me. I tell ya, the image of that doll is forever burned into my memory. Gives me the chills every time I think about it. 😨
xGhostBustersx (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-09)
That doll sounds horrid and rude at the same time, it might of been possesd for a short while. Spirits I heard can be attracted and pass through strong energy areas sometimes. Maybe a bad spirit might of passed through and decided to enter the doll to scare you. I heard that they can gain energy from scareing people. I really don't blame you for chucking it out though. 😐 😊
thinkingfunny123 (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-29)
Now that I read all the comments, I had to say something about barbies. What sort of spirit would hide in a naked barbie doll? I mean once I had one who was naked, I didn't have time to dress it, and I swear the next time I saw it it's head was looking at me. It freaked me out but I didn't think much of it. 😲 huh... BTW I never liked Crocheting.
thinkingfunny123 (10 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-06-29)
Watch what that you say to it. Maybe if you say "Hello evil thing, Can I ask you something? Why did you scare the daylight out of me that night?" it'll answer back and say, I told my masssssterssssss that you were tooooo ugly... Of course you should keep a knife with you so this time you can get revenge. Don't you just hate it when people say "Trick of the light" Well hmm... Maybe their rudeness is a trick of the light, but I doubt it. Ta! ❤ 😊 😜
evilelf (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-16)
Wow, you know, when I was younger I hated dolls, I think I got my hatred for them from an episode of Twilight Zone. Any way I would have been scared out of my mind if I saw a doll do that.
AuroraRosa (2 stories) (55 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-06-16)
when I was a little kid I always wanted stuffed animals, not dolls. But my parents bought me dolls anyway and I would ignore them or push tem under the bed. When I was about seven some of the girls at school were talking about how they slepped with their dolls at night and so I decided, well it must be the cool thing to do, so that night I got out one of those baby dolls and went to sleep with it in my arms. I woke up around midnight to see it lying on the pillow, face inches from mine, with both eyes closed. As I watched it opened one, then the other, then closed them both again. I proceeded to fling it off the bed and the next morning threw a screaming fit until my motehr promised to get rid of it for me.
I think sometimes spirits use dolls to make themselves known because people are more willing to believe it's really happening instead of blaming it on the wind.
MickeyMalice (4 stories) (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-10)
:::cosmogal926:::

Even as a little girl I NEVER liked dolls.
I mean even before I watched all the movies with creepy demonic dolls I was still creeped out by them.
My parents used to buy me dolls because you know, that's what little girls liked. I alwayys remember locking them up in my closet and then I would have several dreams they were all trying to kill my family... So in my opinion all dolls are creepy... Sorry I'm kind of just rattleing on...

~G.T.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-10)
Kaitlyn001,
😲 Whoa, that is pretty creepy especially since the expression on the doll's face was changing. You must have been beside yourself.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-10)
NotSoTypical,

When the movie Child's play came out on video, my father rented it. Before he even put the tape in the vcr, I took my cabbage patch dolls and barbies and put them in the closet in the spare room. I wasn't taking any chances. Pretty brave though to watch that movie after my incident. My parents always said I had guts of steel. LOL! I love horror movies and especially documentaries about hauntings. I think it's because of all the experiences I had growing up that made me so interested in the paranormal. Thanks for the comment 😊
NotSoTypical (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-09)
I hate dolls too! My friend has three of those dolls that open there eyes when you stand them up. I always make her put them somewhere else because I keep thinking that they will walk down her stairs and kill me. Seriously. And The Movie Chucky isn't helping this. 😐
Blackrose13 (3 stories) (24 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-09)
Porcelain dolls scare me too! My uncle's mom had a ton of them! I didn't like being around them. Seriously stories about dolls make it hard for me to sleep. Also stories where faces are described as distorted. I have no idea why, but it just freaks me out. Even in certain movies about ghosts and the faces are somehow messed up, it gives me nightmares. This story had two of the elements that scare the living daylights out of me. 😨
Kaitlyn001 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-09)
That's horrible! I hate dolls they freak me out. I remember once I had this barbie and it was sitting on my floor. I turned it's head so it was facing away from me, and the next time I looked it was looking at me! I was sure I turned it's head the other way.
The expression was changed slightly too, 😲 😭
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-09)
To KimSouthO and Josh, I would have never thought that the yarn or crochet hooks might have history. It was a hobby of theirs so it is very possible that the hooks might have been passed down to them or someone else gave them extra yarn. I am not sure if they ever experienced anything in their home. Thanks so much, at least now there is some kind of explanation for what happend. 😊

Wardo, wow your story is creepy as well. It's funny you mention the cabbage patch dolls because I had 2 of them myself. Even after the incident, I never feared my cabbage patch dolls or my barbie's. Isn't it weird though how we got the feeling that the only thing to do was get rid of it. It's like we stamped it Evil and tossed it in the trash. LOL! Thanks for sharing that with me. 😊

Hawkgirl and Blackrose13 some dolls freak me out too. Porcelain dolls, and those freaky dolls with the eyes that open and close they give me the heebie jeebies. Oh and I can't even be in the same room if it's a clown doll. I hate those the most.
Thedreamer (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-09)
Do you know anything about the sisters? Maybe the yarn have to do something with it. You should ask thenm where they get there yarn at.

❤ Selinda ❤
Blackrose13 (3 stories) (24 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-09)
Ok, this story freaked me out. I hate dolls! They scare me. I have no idea what it was but I am glad you got rid of it.
Hawkgirl (6 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
😨 that was horrible! Dolls freak me out, even Barbies... When I was about 10, I saw one of my Barbie dolls move its leg while she was sitting on the desk where I had left it the night before, obviously nobody believed me but after that, I gave them all away and NEVER asked for dolls again.
Wardo (8 stories) (171 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-06-08)
Your story reminded me of a similar story. When I was little, I had a Cabbage Patch doll. I am a boy, so this is kind of weird already, but all of my cousins had them, even the boys, so I insisted on having one myself. Well, my mom sewed clothing for it, and even sewed me some matching items that I liked to wear a lot. I named the doll Kirby (or Herbie, not sure), even though he came with his own name, I don't really remember what it was, though. Anyway, I must have had it for several weeks at least when I had a terrible nightmare about the doll. I dreamed that it was running around the backyard with a horrible expression on its face throwing rocks around at people and just causing a ruckus. Anyway, when I woke up I think I pretty much threw the doll off the bed and called for my mom. She put the doll in my closet, and I seemed to be okay with it at the time. Nothing ever happened after that, aside from an occasional tick in the closet, but most likely because it had so much junk in it. I remember I used to have to throw stuff in a slam the door to keep it closed! Well, years later we were cleaning out the closet and I came across the doll. My mom asked if I wanted to give it to the Salvation Army or Goodwill, but I insisted that we throw it away and I even wanted to destroy it completely, after all those years the doll still gave me chills.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: