You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Moving Around

Real Ghost Stories

Moving Around

 

My family and I moved around a lot when I was a child, this was not due to the part of paranormal events that may or may not have taken place in our family's lifetime, as my stepfather was a huge sceptic and would rather be swallowed by the void then to admit there was a haunting. It was kind of interesting to have moved so much, I got to see a lot of places, go to a lot of schools, meet a lot of friends and of course, live in a lot of houses. Not once did I ever live in an apartment until I moved out on my own.

So around the mid 90's we had moved to a new home just a block away from my new school. The house was small, but it was perfect for our family, 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, kitchen, basement and a family room. Out of everyone I had the biggest room, I lucked out because for some weird reason that room had been wall papered in a Super Mario Bros. Vinyl wall paper with glowing star decals. My Mom had no intention of sleeping in a room like that and yielded the room to me, even though my stepfather insisted we just replace the wall paper. He was pretty pissed off a child had what was essentially the master bedroom.

During that time there, some odd instances happened; I can neither confirm nor deny if these were paranormal, but I will tell you this, it never happened again after I loved out of that house...

From time to time I would sleep walk out of my room and go to sleep on the bathroom floor. I would wake up shivering on the cold linoleum floor of the bathroom. Most times this happened it was around 3:30 in the morning. I was having constant nightmares; I would have horrible, terrible constant nightmares all night, at least 3 or 4 times a week. These nights were the worst as I could never get enough sleep for school the next day and it gravely affected my school work.

While still awake in my room, on occasion I would hear loud, horrible growling as if it was coming out of the middle of my room, sometimes the bed would also vibrate when this happened. It usually happened later at night around 10:00PM or 11:00PM.

I saw at least one blue-ish, grey full body apparition at the foot of my bed. It had been standing at the base of my bed and just stared at me. It reminded me of my Mother and I felt no fear and simply looked at it for a while and went to sleep.

My Mother chalked it up to childhood stress having to move so much and having an abusive stepfather. It wouldn't be until I was 17 or 18 that my Mother admitted that a lot of the places we stayed at were haunted and that she simply denied these ideas to us as children so we didn't have to "deal" with the idea of being haunted.

So was it simply the result of a shaky, unstable childhood or was it the grumblings of a spirit still on our physical plane of existence? You can be the judge, even I am unsure of the truth behind it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JarMan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DCinAZ (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-01)
JarMan, I know all about the nightmares, I had them for years. Now you're getting his mail? (Twilight Zone theme music inserted here) Yikes! When my stepdad died, not one tear was shed by me or my siblings. Not to sound crude to others who may read this, but our reactions were quite the opposite. Do you still clench your fist or jaw when his name is brought up? After 40 years I still do that. (shiver) Give his mail to a neighbor kid to use as a pooper scooper! LOL That's my defense mechanism kicking in. Hey, humor works for me, especially when the laugh's on him. 😆
JarMan (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-01)
DCinAZ: I still have nightmares about him and I am a lot older now and he died from cancer a long time ago. He just left that much of a impact on me he can torture me even after he is dead.

Weirdest thing happened, about two weeks ago I started getting mail for him at my address, even though I never took on his last name. You would have thought my Mother would have been getting his mail since the address hasn't changed in such a long time.
DCinAZ (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-01)
JarMan, Well, I guess we do have something in common after all. Stepdad's from hell. It was always such a mystery to me how my mom could stay married to someone like...well, nevermind all that. It's my guess that your nightmares and possibly sleepwalking can be traced directly back to the fear of your stepdad. I say this from experience, because even now, thinking about my stepdad makes my jaw hurt. And I have to say that Cosmo does have a point with the poltergeist theory, but when it comes down to what really happened back then, only you can answer that one. After all, you were there and we weren't. But I feel for you and hopefully you aren't having to deal with him anymore. 😐 Someday I'll have to tell you what happened when he tried to pull his attitude on me years after they'd split up and I no longer had that little kids fear of him. 😊 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-12-01)
Thats a good theory you have there Cosmo regarding the extreme emotions and the manifestation of a poltergeist I think there is still a lot of people who believe that a poltergeist is an actuall spirit. JarMan I'm surprised you didn't have more experiences, you mentioned that you mum was aware of these hauntings did she ever relate any stories to you regarding this?

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-30)
Hey JarMan, I believe it could have been a little bit of both. The stress you were under from the constant moving and an abusive stepfather can certainly bring on sleep disorders such as night terrors and sleep walking. Since your mother admitted having experiences in some of the houses you lived in too, then I think that validates your experiences with the paranormal. Being a pre-teen under stress and pressure of new homes and new schools, making new friends; I wouldn't doubt that you might have manifested a poltergeist from all your emotions. Thanks for posting 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: