You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Something Grabbed Me, Something Evil?

Real Ghost Stories

Something Grabbed Me, Something Evil?

 

I'm really freaking out about this, so I hope someone will be able to offer me some advice or at least a little reassurance that I'm not going crazy!

Last night (Monday 15th March) at about 9pm, I took my puppy Olly out for a walk in the park across the street from my house. It was absolutely freezing and pretty dark, but I know it's a relatively safe place and there are usually quite a lot of people walking their dogs around there. We were playing fetch as usual with a couple of tennis balls over on the large golf course, which is surrounded by trees but is usually well lit at night, when Olly shot off into the trees for no reason. I was calling him and could hear him crashing around amongst the dry leaves, but he wouldn't come back. I started to get cross, so decided to go in and get him myself.

I pushed my way in through a lot of bare branches and scratchy bushes and was squinting around for Olly as it was a lot darker than on the golf course, and I didn't have my glasses on (I'm not exactly blind, but things are a bit blurry if they're more than 6 feet away!). Luckily Olly is mostly white so I found him easily enough and clipped his lead on. Up until this point I'd been fine, no creepy feelings, and no butterflies in my stomach, I was just thinking about getting out of the freezing cold and into my bed. This is where it gets weird, I'll try to describe it as accurately as I can, but the whole event lasted around 5-10 seconds (I think) and happened very quickly.

I was leading Olly back towards the golf course, and put up my left hand to push away a branch that was at head height, and the branch grabbed my hand. As in, it closed what felt like warm fingers around my gloved hand and literally yanked me forwards and upwards towards the golf course. It was too sudden for me to think about screaming or resisting or even gasping. I remember looking at Olly, whose lead was still clutched in my right hand, and he was staring at something above my head, and his eyes were wild.

That's when I noticed my feet were coming off the ground. Olly barked and lunged forward at the same time as I thought to myself "Why am I holding on to this tree?" because I was still gripping the 'tree branch' hand thing, so I just relaxed my grip. My hand immediately slipped out of my glove, and I bumped heavily on to the ground on my bum, and had Olly land on top of me very heavily. I looked up and saw a large black shape rocketing up towards the sky, like I said, I hadn't got my glasses on, and it all happened so fast it was impossible to distinguish what was happening let alone what anything looked like, and Olly was barking and jumping all over me and licking my face.

So as I'm sure you can imagine, I was about ready to dissolve into a gibbering pile of wimp after what had just happened. I grabbed Olly's lead and speed walked out of the park gates; Olly seemed perfectly happy again and was trotting along next to me. Once I was out of the park, my courage completely failed me and I ran, sobbing, across the road to my house, double locked the front door and tried to explain what had happened to my boyfriend whilst hyperventilating/crying/hiding under a blanket.

Needless to say, he was very skeptical, but Olly pushed his way under the blanket and kept licking my face and whining, so my boyfriend was a bit concerned as to why I was so shaken up. He made me a cup of tea, and basically said it would be easy for someone to get their glove caught on a tree branch and think they'd been grabbed and start to panic, and that maybe Olly had just been barking because I was distressed.

I went to bed shortly after, and Olly slept cuddled up next to me. My boyfriend said I was crying and whimpering in my sleep, but I don't remember having any nightmares.

I'm really freaked out. I know what I saw, but I don't know how to make sense of it. My boyfriend caught a 6am flight to Ireland this morning, and won't be back until the weekend, so it's just me and Olly until Saturday. I guess what I'd like to know is, does anyone know what it could have been? I live literally opposite the park, would it come to my house? If it had wanted to hurt me, wouldn't it have just done it there and then?

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Worried_Brit_Chick

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Worried_Brit_Chick, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ghost_hunter101 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-30)
😕 I totally believe that there was something there with you in the forest, but for some reason it doesn't seem that it was going to try and harm you in any way. What it sounds like to me is that the spirit was trying to communicate by leading your dog into the forest and bring you in there too. I bet that when you were leaving, it tried to help you out of the forest, but it probably wasn't sure what to do so it just dropped you and fled away. You probably shouldn't be so frightened about it. I probably would be freaked out too, but I feel like it wasn't evil at all. Just try and think about it. Like you said, if it wanted to hurt you, why didn't it just do it? I think it could have just been a calm, and kind spirit helping you out of the forest, but getting confused when you freaked out and got scared.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-18)
I really liked your story! However, I'm sorry it was so scary for you. Someone probably already said this, but I'm too impatient to comb through all the comments at the moment. Maybe it was a nature spirit. It seems like it would be a gnome or fairy of some kind. Perhaps conrolling the tree. I don't think it was a ghost, in that it was once a person. If that's the case, you have an extremely interesting and rare encounter on your hands. I agree that it probably wasn't malicious. Just a michievious little earth spirit.
Chosen_One101 (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-21)
i have no idea what you saw but if that happened to me I would have been scared out of my mind. A black figure shooting up towards the sky and it grabbed me to.Creeeepy! 😨
Findaway (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-20)
That's a pretty scary experience!
I'm glad nothing happened to you or your puppy, but I don't have a clue as to what it could've been. Wish I could say more. 😳
Mosha (3 stories) (12 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-19)
Strange stuff! I'm not an expert but I have had a simular experience where a spirit followed me to my home. It was starting to make me feel depressed all the time and was very distructive. I asked my friend, who is a buddhist, if there was anything I could do to stop the spirit from taking control of me, and he gave me some buddhist prayer beads and ever since that day the spirit has not bothered me since. I'm not saying you should get some prayer beads but I would advise you to keep in a positive frame of mind. This way spirits have nothing to feed on.

Take care ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-19)
WBC,
All the others have come to the same conclusion that I did while reading anout this experience. And I believe you're right about it being your Nanny Rose that pulled you out of the dark. Had you not let go so soon you may have been set safely on the golf course grass no worse for the wear instead of on your bum. That is kind of funny when you think of it now though.
I'm just happy that you brought the story of your experience here. It does help put things into perspective when you've got a group of friends that know you're not crazy, doesn't it? Because anyone else would be freaking out too, especially after seeing it shoot up into the sky afterward. And that could really mess with your head if you didn't have anything to reference it to. It's times like this that I really appreciate this community we've got here.
😊 ❤
ghostgirl122 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-18)
how long have you had olly if you have had him for a while he may have been barking to scare off whatever was there.
Worried_Brit_Chick (6 stories) (108 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-18)
Hi guys, thanks for all your comments! I've been a bit freaked out the last 3 nights (and have slept with a night light on, how embarrassing at 23!) but that was obviously just me scaring myself because nothing has been to my house as far as I know and there have been no bumps in the night. I've been watching Olly carefully but he's just been very interested in stealing my pillows and hasn't been distressed at all, so I think you're all correct in saying whatever I saw isn't going to bother me at home.

Zzsgranny - I've not heard much about psychic shields, but will definitely look into them, I am a worrier so anything that helps me to feel safer is definitely worth researching! You've really got me thinking about what it was that grabbed me, and what exactly it was trying to pull me away from... I don't know how far it would have pulled me if I hadn't let go, perhaps I was straying towards something I shouldn't have been...

Taz890 - I've made sure I only walk Olly when it's light now, and I'm very careful where I throw his tennis balls! But I do think you're right, as much of a softy as Olly is, he is very protective so I am reaassured by you saying he wouldn't have run off if there was anything dangerous around.

CourtneyOMGG - thanks hun, it was so so scary, I just kept thinking afterwards "What if I hadn't let go of it's hand?" because I was scared it would have just dragged me up into the sky with it. But maybe that was just me thinking the worst of the situatuion, perhaps it would have just pulled me back to the golf course and then let go.

XDGabRDJAXD - it's funny that you should mention that it could have been a relative. Sunday (the day before this happened) was my Nanny Rose's birthday. She would have been 85, but she passed away from cancer 5 years ago. In one of my other stories on here, I think the first one I ever submitted, I mentioned that when she passed away I woke up because it sounded like there was a flock of birds swooping through my room. I was very close to my Nanny, and last Sunday I had lit a rose scented candle for her birthday and told her I loved her so much and am always thinking of her. My mum had done the same at her house. It's a long shot, but maybe it was my Nanny that pulled me. I really would like to think that, because it would be comforting to know that she can hear me telling her how much I miss her, and she was always protective and straight to the point, so yanking me out of somewhere unsafe does strike me as something she wouldn't hesitate to do. It would be lovely if that was her.

Sorry for the incredibly long comment, but I wanted to respond to you all individually, as I really appreciate that you took the time to reassure me. It's definitely worked as I feel much less panicked and have gained some useful advice from all of you 😁 thanks again for reading and for the interesting and insightful replies.

My friend is staying over tonight, and then my boyfriend will be back from Ireland tomorrow, so he can take the late night walkies shift, he's braver than me!
XDGabRDJAXD (19 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-18)
I agree with everyone! Maybe that entity could've been one of your dead relatives watching (not noticeable) over you. And it could've given Olly some kind orders like protecting you, etc... 😁
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-03-17)
I agree with BOTH of the comments:) It doesn't sound like it was wanting to harm you, especially as you said it seemed to pull you back onto the golf course.
I know that it absolutely scared you so bad, but try not to worry, because I don't get a bad feeling from reading this story:) It sounds like this entity was just trying to help you.
Lots of love
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-03-17)
hi wbc have to agree with granny on this I don't think this entity was out to harm you at all and it would be very doubtful that it would come to your home.
What a frightning experiance for you to go through but here is a thought for you if this entity was in any way dangerous I doubt olly would have run off from you leaving you exposed like that he would have stayed with you for your protection like you say while it was happening he was jumping around plus licking you a dogs way of saying your safe now he is there.
Hope you feel safe next time you go walkies with olly, and to quote granny look up the psycic shields this should help you too.
Thanks for posting such a freaky story ❤
Carl
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
13 years ago (2011-03-17)
WBC: Living up to your screen name! 😆...Anyway, to me this sounds as if this could have been an entity wanting to get you out of the unlit part and into the safer, well lit area as quickly as possible... Since the weather was chilly, the branch wouldn't have felt warm, not enough to feel through a gloved hand... I don't think you need to worry about it following you... Do you use any psychic shields?...If not then it might be a good idea to learn how to do so... There are an infinate number of websites where you can learn the basics... ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: