You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: No One Can Help Me

Real Ghost Stories

No One Can Help Me

 

Back about the summer of '88, I'd walked up to an all-night gas station to buy some smokes-it was about half-past midnight. The station was about a half mile from my apartment, but the night was pleasant, and I didn't mind the walk. I strolled north down Reid Avenue, waving as a passing car honked at me.

I got to the station, bought my cigarettes, and was walking out when a woman I knew came in, to pay for her gas. I hadn't seen Zori in a bit, so we started a conversation as we walked out. She asked me if I needed a lift home, and I accepted.

We drove south down Reid Avenue, talking about this and that. About halfway along the way, at Eleventh Street, is a railroad crossing, at the top of a rise. As we approached it, I saw, from the passenger side, a woman walking south, slowly, as if tired or injured. St. Joseph's Hospital was about ten blocks down from there, so we slowed a bit, to come abreast of her.

I rolled down my window, and at that instant, there was an eerie sense of unease, almost of dread, seeming to come from the walking figure. She was in shadow, and I couldn't see her face clearly.

"Excuse me," I said, "but do you need a ride... Can we help you?"

She stopped, and turned toward me, her face still a shadowed blur. The weird sensation increased as she spoke.

"You can't help me... No one can help me", she said. Then, the feeling got even stronger, becoming almost an odor in the air. I rolled up the window, and Zori sped up, topping the rise.

As we crossed the tracks, I looked back through the rear window-there was no one in sight.

Other hauntings by alandhopewell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alandhopewell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

pinkparrot6202 (41 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-08)
This story makes me addictive and I read it couple of times. I loved your story, the woman could be a lost spirit a revengeful lady, she can cause harm to people.

I THINK IT WILL BE A PARANORMAL INVESTIGATION

Thanks.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-01-07)
alandhopewell,
Thank you for considering there could be alternate possibilities and conclusions for what occurred that evening. It lifts a heavy weight from my heart. I had begun to think the whole world had gone callous and jaded. And I worry what kind of an example we are leaving for the next generation and how they will interpret our reactions and behavior. And will they apply the same to their lives and thus pass those on to their own children?
Your a good man alandhopewell, and as your name suggests, there is hope for you yet! (kidding)

Jav😊 ❀
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+6
12 years ago (2012-01-07)
JAVELINA- I understand your concern... Thank you for making your position quite clear.

To me, this is what discussion is about, keeping your convictions, defending them if need be, without getting bent out of shape over differences.

You are quite correct-there is a possibility that I was decieved, all things considered. As with "What Was She"; I'd prefer to believe that the visitation was angelic, but, by my own eperience and knowledge, I know that I cannot say for certain.

To me, this site is the campfire where we all tell our stories, to illuminate, to entertain, maybe even to creep each other out a wee bit.

As the Rumpled Leiutenant said, just one more thing... If anyone has any questions about the Christian faith, yet does not wish to ask them here, reach me at alandhopewell [at] yahoo.com.
ghostlover6678 (1 stories) (35 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-07)
Paranormal or not, it was probably still scary. I think everyone is being a bit harsh, we are all human and make mistakes, I don't think we should be being as harsh as we are 😳

Put yourself in alandhopewell's shoes, if an unknown person had said at the side of a road "no one can help me" what would you have done? Gotten out and started a conversation? I'm not saying what Mr. Alan D. Hopewell did is ideal to do, but less with the judging maybe?

How many people stop EVERYTIME to give a hitch-hiker a lift? They are people you don't know, who knows what they may be planning to do!? And even if these people you all pass on the road may not be limping or SEEM hurt, doesn't mean they aren't.

I am one person who thinks we are being to harsh, don't judge a book by its cover, eh? It was a reaction, drive away when something freaky happens! 😊

Hope to read some of your other stories, Thanks

-ghostlover6678
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
WOW! Your story was quite scary!

I believe she was a lost soul. I would of probably gotten out of the car if it was daylight lol not at night. And the fact that you walked at first! Oh heck no! You are brave!
I hope her spirit can find peace one day.

Thanks for sharing.

Looney.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
alan,
That "feeling" isn't what I am questioning so much as the origins of that feeling are. Understand that this is not something I take lightly at all. I also know that feeling. However, you have, by your own admission, had involvement with the darker aspects of spirits and demonic entities. You know, personally, the deviousness that is employed by demonic entities in order to fool us humans into believing something or someone is or is not what they appear to be. They are able to replicate in order to deceive. With this in mind, how can you know for certain that the feeling itself was not a demonic replication used to prevent you from giving aid and comfort to your fellow man, thus preventing your return to your faith? And though you eventually did return, your delay may have also served a different purpose, as yet unknown.
I realize how uncomfortable this possibility would make a person, and I am not accusing you of being a willing participant in the plans of those who seek to spread this evil. But you were known to that dark sioe. They don't give up and let you just step away that easily. Deceit being their most commonly used tactic, how can you be certain it was not used on you that night. The words she used, "No one can help me now", may sound ominous to some, not so to me. Because we don't know what had happened with this woman prior to your encounter with her, making a blanket statement that she was evil, to me, it just sounds too easy. By sight, she was flesh and bone human. Not making eye contact makes perfect sense when considering you have no knowledge of what had occurred to put her where she was and the condition she appeared to be in. But putting all that I've noted here aside, that feeling you had could merely have been her own intense fear manifesting from her situation. Her getting out of your sight quickly may have been purposeful on her part. You may have offered her assistance, but her fear of you could have spurred her escape from your sight. You sped up and pulled away from her. She could have feared your return and wasn't taking any chances.
There are just too many variables. You may feel comfortable in your decision to leave her there, but I can personally relate to her situation, and I still believe that abandoning her to uncertain fate was just wrong.

Jav
ghostsrreal202 (6 stories) (27 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
THAT'S SO SCARY! I would have just pooed my pants if that was me! 😜
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
JAVELINA- I understand your concerns; however, as I stated, I recognized the emotional enaminations as arising from a spirit rather than from a living being because I'd experienced them before, in connection with hauntings-you may recall, I spoke of the unsavoury atmosphere permeating 1444 Broadway... This was similar.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
alandhopewell,
I hope you understand what my reasons were for questioning the decision you made that night. I was raised a Catholic then Christian from birth. We do believe in spirits. We don't condemn all spirits to be demonic, or angelic for that matter. It isn't a sin to believe that way. But that is for my faith that I speak. I don't believe that I will get into Heaven because of my Baptism into my faith. I could be any religion, that isn't what I have been raised to understand as my way into the light. It is how you live your life, how you treat your loved ones and neighbors. How you treat your fellow man, especially in their time of need. My problem with your explanation is that at the time the incident occurred you were not with your faith. You have alluded to the possible involvement of a cult like or Satanic influence in your life. If that was the case, how can you be certain that what you felt originated with this woman, and not from some Satanic influence, to keep you from giving her the aid she needed? And thus keeping faith with your fellow man? How can you be certain she was the culprit and not the victim? As you said yourself "Satan and company attempt to delude people". It can just as easily be said that what happened that night was just that. Satan and company deluding you. And by falling for that delusion, an innocent person may have met with further harm. Satan is very powerful. And he would love nothing better than to keep you from aiding a soul in need.

Jav

~~Please don't take this as a challenge of your faith, it is a perfectly legitimate question to what you have reported here.~~
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
[at] alandhopewell, I have to echo Nysa and Thank you for sharing your beliefs with us. You have a very pleasant disposition, and it was nice to learn a little bit about your personal side.
Keep on trusting those gut feelings, they will never steer you wrong. 😊 ❀
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
Oh-someone asked why Zori sped up when she did; the reason was, she felt the "bad vibe", as well... She was quite disturbed by it.

This feeling was part of the reason I knew, after a bit, that we were not dealing with a human being, a I'd experienced this sort of emotive bombardment before (as, no doubt, some of you have.)
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
Thanks for explaining that. It really helps me understand the viewpoint & that you believe these entities can act in any way (sad, loving, ambivalent, as well as scary & harmful) because they are simply attempting to carry out a ruse. I can't agree with your perspective but I do respect it & will be able to understand when I come across others who share that belief. I appreciate you sharing your belief so I may be a better educated person.
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
I thank everyone for their comments, although I was somewhat dismayed to find that I'd left some of you with the impression that I simply abandoned someone.

I DO ask your forgiveness for being so abrupt to those who question my convictions as to the nature of these occurrences-it was not my intention to slam a verbal door. The best way I can explain it is this...

Satan is a fallen angel; all demons are. Angels are not, nor have ever been, human. Satan and his hosts hate God, and His supreme creation, man.

The Bible teaches that all are sinners, and are in need of salvation. Satan and company attempt to delude people into believing there is another part of "the Afterlife" than Heaven or Hell.Thus, ghosts, apparitions, and other occult phenomena. If people believe in these things as suc h, they will not see their need for a saving relationship with Christ, and will wind up in Hell with Satan who, BTW, does not rule Hell, nor is he there presently-he and his crowd will be cast into Hell at the last judgement, and they'd love company.

Not meant to preach, but to possibly answer some questions as to why I'm so rigid on this- I love you, ALL of you, and I'd rather not see you spending eternity with the Devil.
ghostlover6678 (1 stories) (35 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
alandhopewell...I am another who thinks you did't do anything wrong, yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you can listen the nice opinions and not to the ones that bring you down. I think you were brave enough to even stop and also nice enough, sure enough others would have driven on by, but you stopped. In that situation I would have done the same thing as you, sped up when the unknown person said "no one can help me" that's damn freacky if you ask me! You didn't no the person/"thing" so I personally see no fault in what you did Let the others think what they want to think;)

GOOD LUCK ADN GOD BLESS 😁

-ghostlover6678 😊
JCAbigbear (2 stories) (17 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
My mother however says that in her town in Guatemala, there is a haunted road next to a cemetery that a ghost of a young lady walks. She said that young lady was killed there while visiting a grave. Alot of people passing at night would often see her and occasionally even speak to her. I believe that it was a ghost. Maybe she passed on that stretch of road

Much love and respect
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+5
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
The first thing that strikes me about this story is why are people presuming her reply is linked to suicidal thoughts? What else would you say to a guy who pulls up next to you in a car and ask's you "hey do you want a lift?"...at the same token I don't feel the author has acted improper at all neither... If this lady was in trouble I think then perhaps she would have accepted the ride... What I would like to ask the author is... Why did the driver speed off? What was your friends thoughts about what you both saw? I think you instincts and feelings about this being paranormal are correct... But I don't necessarily see from when you looked back and saw her not there as conclusive... Perhaps she hid or move out of sight on purpose If she was apprehensive about strangers in a car.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
Thank you for clarifying that granny. I do get that some of the responses were a bit rude & aggressive. I was just uncomfortable with things seeming to swing too far in the opposite direction. I feel strongly about the importance of dissent. Having seen all the trolls you have to deal with, not to mention all of us occasionally getting over-sensitive or impassioned, I do appreciate how difficult your job is. And I hope alandhopewell understands that I was questioning not attacking his story.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
Nysa: I'm not saying that no one has the right to question an account, or offer other plausable, possible explanations... I was refering to some comments that I felt were out of line...It's my job...It's what I do...I'm not asking for conformity, in fact I would rather see everyone thinking outside the box; nor do I expect everyone to have the same respect as I do for any poster...

Please continue with your skeptical viewpoints, as your posts always raise good questions and impetus for further research...
Jitow (362 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
Your encounter sounds very much like the Harlequin. Some people call it a scary clown but comes in many different forms. A skinny lanky female figure seen at night when no one else is out. There are some characteristics that a there most often like the feeling of dread and that intense fight or flight feeling of intense danger or evil and an unatural gate like jerky. Google it or there is a great 3 blog story of a fellow that has seen this type of figure all his life, pretty creepy. You can find it a mysteriousuniverse.org.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
I am sorry if you feel bashed alandhopewell, my questioning was not inteded to bash. But we do have the right to question whether a non-paranormal explanation was a possibility. I hope I managed to do so as politely as I intended. And once you put out a strong statement like believing that most ghosts are in fact demons it is perfectly legitimate to ask how you reconcile such a sad account with that belief. It's obviously your prerogative to answer those questions or not. But if you have explained it in the past that does not mean everyone reading the current post has read your responses. Or that we don't have the right to ask. I would also point out that just because many regulars have accepted a frequent poster as someone who is very honest & credible does not mean that everyone posting has to conform to that belief. Further, the fact that the poster was not an active Christian when the event happened does not make the questions illegitimate. I, for one, was asking about the present. Alandhopewell if you choose to say "I am not getting into that discussion," I will certainly respect that. But I am detecting an insinuation that nobody should have questioned any aspect of the story or the posters conclusions & I do not respect that attitude. If I am misinterpreting I sincerely apologize.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
zzgranny and alandhopewell,
I too have read and enjoyed all of the stories buy this author. I have even stuck up for him before. And though one part of my comment was 'out of line', my reasons for the discomfort I felt in this particular experience are also valid in this instance, at least I believe them to be. You see, it could easily have been me he left standing there as he drove away. I've been in a situation eerily close to what he described and had people turn away and not help. Acting as if they never saw me. So, in this case, if I am expected to understand why the situation progressed in the manner it did, I feel it just as important that he understand why I still do not feel good about it. I'm sorry if my comment set off a littany of bashing after, but I cannot, in good conscience, change how I feel about the situation as a whole.
[at] zzgranny,
You know me, I will always stand down when you tell me to. I don't feel I can change on this one, I'm sorry, I'm trying very hard to see his position, but it's just too personal. I know I'm probably wrong, but if I condone this here and a year from now a similar situation were to occur involving someone close to me, I could never forgive myself.

One last thing I want to make clear. I don't want to see any comments either for or against what I just said. Let's all just leave it be, OK? Enough is enough on this, no need to drag this out any further. Nothing could make me happier than silence on this subject from here on out. Please?

Jav 😐
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
Ahhh dang it! I got banned from voting for you again granny. Ok so here is 2 thumbs-up for you ^ ^. Sorry they are a little pointy. I have always enjoyed your stories Mr. Hopewell and look forward to any future posts.
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
I got it, Miracles! I am in agreement. Alandhopewell is a well respected poster and I,for one, found this story interesting. I can't say that for many of those which haven't seen near this much Negative attention. Keep posting, dude!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
granny - I wanted to give you a point for both comments, but was afraid I'd get banned from giving you points again LOL. So, I only gave you the one, but consider yourself upped twice πŸ˜†.

And thank you πŸ˜‰ ❀
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+5
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
Just something I'd like to point out: Most of Mr. Hopewell's experiences thus far are accounts of what happened prior to his return to Christianity... And please, simply because he believes that all spirits are demons should in no way minimize the sincerity, honesty, and integrity of this author!...Here is the explanation HE gave (and really, it should be unnecessary for any of us to explain our beliefs to a lot of names on a page):

"Y'see, I first came to the Lord back in 1978, a while after the "Spooky Compliment" episode. Due to a number of factors, I wound up wandering away from my faith, and getting back into my old habits. I spent almost twenty years in denial, until traumatic events, of which the occult played a part, caused me to re-affirm my relationship with Christ; this was late 1997.

The experiences I've submitted here took place between 1968 and 1991, before my return to Christ."

I hope this ends the bashing of one of our most respected posters 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+6
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
alandhopewell: I for one, think this is a very credible experience... Having read and enjoyed every one of your previous posts, there is no reason for me to have even a shadow of doubt...

Have you done any research, or heard any stories about someone being hit by a train in that particular area?...Being originally from Ohio, I understand the great amount of railroad crossings, and I'm sure every one of them has a story, whether we know about it or not πŸ˜†...

Thank you for posting, and looking forward to the next! 😊
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
So, let say this women was not a ghost. She was obviously showing signs of needing medical attention whether it be for extreme depression or injury so you assume paranormal and speed off?
How far away was the woman from the tracks? If you drove off far enough and she veered off the road and or was in the shadows you may have just not seen her when looking back.
I don't mean to take away from your story. It was defiantly spooky and gave me the chills but if it wasn't paranormal and this woman needed help then you look like the shadey one not her.
πŸ˜•
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
Wow! That was one creepy ghost story. Gave me the heebie jeebies 😨 Experiences like this is one of the main reasons I hate driving alone at night, especially on dark country roads. I agree with Nysa about her being a possible lost soul who is afraid to move on. It makes me sad to think about how distressed she must have been, but scares the heck out of me at the same time. I think you not seeing her face is worse than if you did because that just makes your mind come up with a whole bunch of scary images.
Thanks for sharing another story, and take care 😊
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
To those who feel that I may have abandoned a living person in need, I assure you that this is not, nor has it ever been, my habit. By nature, training, and custom, I give aid whenever and however I can.

This was not a person in distress. To begin, the area where she was was well lit enough that she would've been visible were she still there; also, I looked-the simple "...there was no one there" ending was more for dramatic effect than to indicate that I merely glanced out the window. She was in front of a building with a locked front entrance, said entrance being lighted well enough that the door was in plain sight. The side of the building ran parallel to the tracks, with ample lighting provided by the railroad-there wasn't time for a living person to get out of sight.

To those who wonder why I persist in calling all such occurrences, even this one "demonic", I have explained this as best I can.
ghostlover6678 (1 stories) (35 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
And obviously the traffic had moved up, sped up doesn't necessarily mean to go 80 miles per hour, I ment she sped up quicker then normal to behind the car in front of us, BECAUSE the car in front had pulled up because the traffic had moved, I never said a traffic jam I said traffic, traffic can move quickly in a matter of minutes.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: