You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Of Wee Ghosties And A Haunted School

Real Ghost Stories

Of Wee Ghosties And A Haunted School

 

Recently Oak Park Elementary celebrated its 120th year, which would have meant it was built around 1893. However, some suspect the school is even older since the existing records do not date farther back. Perhaps the anniversary is why this story feels the need to be told.

Back in 1979, I was the district's first female janitor. The building, not counting its basement, is three stories high, and I had to clean every blessed room and restroom, lugging 32 gallon trash barrels up and down the stairs. The building has changed a lot over the years, but despite added wings, externally it reminds me of an old orphanage. In the original rooms fireplaces still stand, mosaics decorate the floors, and even the wall that spans over the stairwells. The lowest floor's windows are almost below ground level, and have what they call window wells around them.

When I was given the keys for the alarm and doors, I was given this bit of advice, "Clean the bottom floor first. You don't want to be on that floor after dark." Well, that's pretty cryptic, but no one would give me details.

The first few weeks, nothing really happened, and I grew accustomed to working in a 'dead' building; the foot steps following me were the echo of my own steps, that weird gurgling sound - air in the pipes, things of that nature. I would arrive shortly before 3 pm and make my rounds testing that all the doors were locked, no kids lurking in the stairwells, and that 'empty' classrooms were indeed empty. I would then fetch a trash barrel and carry it up to the third floor and begin emptying waste bins. Since the building had twin stair cases at either ends of the halls, I would come up one, then go to the lower floor via the other, double checking the supposed locked doors on the way.

I'm not a tall person and the barrel is waist high on me. You can imagine how much fun it was to lug it up and down stairs, especially when full it could weigh between 70 - 80 pounds. I developed a type of 'bumping' it up and down the stairs, in order for it not to pull me down them. The echo from THAT sure took some getting use to! I would collect the filled barrels on the ground floor in the gym, which also served as the lunchroom for the kids. (How it was ever thought I could avoid the floor after dark is beyond me.)

One day, I had this brain storm that I would carry the barrel up and not only empty the waste bins, but clean the rooms as well. Just work my way to the bottom. It made total sense to me. Of course, I would still need to make another round in order to clean both stairwells, but that was no biggie, and it would reduce the number of times I had to climb all the way up. I was making great time, and when I reached the second floor, having completed the 3rd, I nipped into the teacher's lounge for a quick break. So now the barrel is with me on the 2nd floor, and I take the 2nd floor's dust mop up the back stairwell sweeping as I go. Then I swept down the long 3rd floor hall and back down the front stairs to the second floor. I repeated this down to the 1st floor. By now it's around 8 pm (I work until 11), twilight is getting dark fairly fast. I stopped for lunch, and went back to cleaning.

I was in one of the older rooms with a large fireplace, and the floor was decorated with a large old fashioned compass design. One entire wall was a slate black board. The opposing wall had four windows, each with one of those window wells I spoke of earlier. Although the room was as cheerful as a classroom can be made, I felt an acute sadness. I had moved one of the small chairs into the doorway so that I could stand on it to clean the edge above the door. I turned to pick up my dusting rag, and when I turned back the chair was not there but 2 feet or so to the left. I thought it odd, but shrugged it off, moved the chair back and climbed up.

That's when it started. The sound of small children crying, along with bangings on the windows. I jumped down and, fighting my fright, walked over to the windows to see if I could see if someone was hiding down in the window wells. As soon as I approached the windows, the sound stopped. I listened intently for muffled laughter or anything else to give the prankster a way. Nothing. I sighed heavily, and went out to check the window wells from outside. Not that I wanted to, mind you. But this was part of my job, to check things like this out.

I stepped out to see a squad car parked near the building. This wasn't unusual. Once word had gotten around that a lone female was working, the cops made it their business to be around as much as possible. Seeing me, they got out of the cruiser (our cops generally come in pairs) and asked me what was up. "Oh, I thought I heard some kids playing in the window wells," is all I said. But I was grateful, they came with me. We found nothing, and I convinced myself I had just given into a case of the heebie-jeebies. Nothing more happened that night. But almost every night after that I would grow sad in that room, things would get moved, and I'd hear the banging on the windows.

I talked to my mom, the only person I knew wouldn't think me daft about it. She looked at me and said, "Try talking to it/them. Ask if there is something you can do." Meanwhile, summer vacation had begun, and I was now on days. We did a lot of yard work and outside maintenance at the school, as well as stripping and waxing floors inside.

This particular day, the group of guys I was working with put me on weed patrol. Which is exactly what it sounds like... Look for weeds and pull them. As I was wandering about, the two old ladies who lived kiddy-corner the school came over with a glass of lemonaide for me. They were very sweet relics of a time goneby. I would guess them to be in their late 70s, early 80s. They introduced themselves as Emma and Amelia. They told me how much the school had changed since they went there. I took a leap of faith and asked them if anything 'bad' had happened there. "Oh, my! Yes!" came the reply. This is what they told me, and try as I have I cannot confirm it, but it makes sense.

Their family had lived there for generations, in fact their father had gone to school there back in the early 1800's. Reportedly he's the one who told them the story. It seems, the teacher had to leave the room for some reason. Rumor had it she had a dalliance with a male teacher. But to ensure her young charges stayed put she had wedged a chair under the doorknob. While she was gone an ember from the fireplace set the room ablaze and the youngsters, unable to get out, perished. "He said that the windows had to be replaced because they had beaten on the glass so hard, that it was stained with their blood, and it wouldn't wash off!" This was repeated to me with great sincerity, so I believe that they were actually told this story. Emma finished the story with, "And that woman - their teacher? Never seen or heard from again!" Amelia was uttering something like, "Oh those poor sweet lambs!" Suddenly she turned to me, "Have you heard them?" I stared at her. "The children I mean. Have you heard them?" Just then one of the guys yelled at me to quit goofing off and get back to work. "Gotta go," I said, "Thanks so much for the lemonaid".

I became friends with the two women and was saddened when Emma passed on that summer, and family placed Amelia in a nursing home.

Fall came and once again I was back to nights. I took my Mom's advice and, based on the assumption that the story I heard was true, I began talking out loud when cleaning that classroom. Sometimes I told children's stories, or sang songs. I never could keep a chair in the doorway long, and closing the door was out of the question. I am not claustrophobic, but closing that door made me feel panicky. I told the kids that I was sure their parents were waiting for them, and they were free to go. The noise lessened considerably, and I think some did.

But there was one night, I was on the second floor, about to go into one of the rooms when an odd noise came from over head. A kind of squeaking. I looked up and saw nothing. As I stepped over the threshold I heard a very loud child's voice yell, "No!" and was shoved hard backwards. I actually ended up on my tush, when it sounded like all hell broke loose in that room. The overhead fixtures had given way and laid on the floor. Some hanging at weird angles propped by chairs and tables. The plaster ceiling was mere debris covering everything. My mouth fell open as I viewed the mess. One or two steps more... I started shaking a bit. I remember thinking, "Thank God school wasn't in session!" and I felt a small pair of arms circle my waist and hug me. I whispered, "Thank you," then ran for the phone to report the fallen ceiling.

Other things happened while I worked there too, but this is the most significant thing.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
5 years ago (2018-12-01)
Mystic, sounds like you enjoy gathering clues, so I'll give you this clue: Oak Park Elementary is located in the first public school district in Illinois. πŸ˜‰πŸ€”
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-29)
Great story! It's been two years (?) since the last time I visited YGS. I don't have many paranormal experiences, but I love reading true stories. It kind of wakes me up, especially when I feel sleepy in the afternoons.

I tried to read all the comments, to see if I can gather more info about the school, simply because I want to look it up on Google, but I couldn't because of this darkassassin. Kinda makes me sad because the story is really great and deserves great reviews.

Thanks again, Val for sharing this.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
5 years ago (2018-10-18)
That_sinkingfeeling,
Thank you for your kind words.😊 Welcome to YGS!
That_sinkingFeeling (5 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-10-18)
Such a sweet and heartbreaking story Val. Most of them had pretty much covered on how good of a person you are 😊 and they are absolutely right. Sorry for your loss. Keep up that smile ❀
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-15)
Val - what a fascinating and amazing account. I'm adding this to my favorites. Thank you.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2016-12-04)
Unicron, Thank you for the kind comment, I'm glad you enjoy my accounts. 😊
Unicron1000 (guest)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-03)
Hi! I absolutely love and enjoy reading your stories! They are all very intresting! 😊
Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-16)
Aawwwww val... Let me give you a hug <3 ()... I'm sure wherever your son is, he loves you and misses you too. And indeed he was very lucky to have you as his doting mom. Though I haven't met you, I can somehow figure that you are exactly like the teacher described! Hahaha and I love your boy's reply! Hilarious!
By the way totally agree with ani gal! Not only are your stories great, your comments are always very sweet and pleasant to read too:) always keep smiling:) take care:)
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-09-16)
Animation_Gal, it must be my day to blush. Thank you for the lovely compliment.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-09-16)
Khili, awww shucks, thank you. You're comment, "You seem to be such a lovely person" brought to mind a conversation I had with my son, when he was in high school, as well as a blush to my cheeks. He was telling me that one of his teacher's had asked if that was me working at X drugstore. My son cautiously admitted it was. Apparently the teacher went on to tell him how lucky he was, I seemed so nice, always happy, etc. ALL the time. Well by now, I was probably my fourth shade of red. My son looks me in the eye and says, "So I told him the truth, Mom. I said, 'just don't make her mad. What ever you do do not make her mad!' " lol Thank you, Khili. I'm missing my boy terribly, and I needed that happy memory.
Animation_Gal (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-16)
Valkricry, I always enjoy reading your accounts, especially your comments in various stories. You always have great advice, thoughts to add:) Thanks for sharing this experience. Interesting what happened to you, and glad to hear you were indeed thankful. Be safe, be well.

Peace:)
Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-16)
Hehe! Yes I have! Infact your the only one! All of whose stories I've read:) loved them all! You seem to be such a lovely person:)
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-09-12)
Khili,
Goodness! You really have read all my stories, haven't you? Thank you again for the kind words.
Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-12)
Awww that's adorable:)) ) how they saved you and then hugged you was just so moving... Little kids are so innocent and adorable. Was extremely sweet of you to tell them stories and sing to them too:) I've read all your stories and all I have to say is - I think you're a really nice person val:) and inspite of all you've been through, you seem to have kept that intact:) keep smiling:) take care:)
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-06)
Dear YGS friends, mods, and all,
Here in the States it's Halloween - season of the witch, long-legged beasties, ghosts and all that's paranormal. Time to carve pumpkins, don costumes, and enjoy a good scare. It's custom to hand out treats, and I have one for all of you! An invitation to investigate Trespauze Manor - and have you own haunted adventure! Http://trespauzemanor.webatu.com/
Happy Halloween!
Val
Ludley305 (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-05)
Val,
Thank you for the detailed answer and don't underestimate yourself πŸ˜‰
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2013-10-05)
Hi Ludley,
Thank you for the compliment, but I'm really not sure that I'm all that wise.
Do I believe in demonic possession...that's a tough question. Are we talking head spinning 360 degrees while spewing pea soup (then ummm...no. The neck would snap, and no more fun for the demon.) or being made to act in a way contrary to our nature as in the case of Sister Jeanne des Anges? According to her memoirs (written in 1640 or there about) her mind was constantly filled with blasphemies and she would sometimes utter them without the ability to stop herself. She also admits that she was often devising ways to not only displease God herself but to get others to do so.
There's at least 26 references to exorcisms by Jesus found in the bible, including, "Jesus preached and cast out devils," Mark 1:39. "Jesus gave his twelve disciples the power against unclean spirits, to cast them out," Matthew 10:1. "The evil spirits went out of them," Acts 19:12. "Jesus rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou deaf and dumb spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him. And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him: and he was as one dead, insomuch that many said, He is dead. But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose," Mark 9:25-27 In the exorcism of a madman Jesus had cast out the foul spirits; the spirits then entered into a herd of pigs who in turn ran over a cliff and drowned in the waters below.
Demonic possession is fairly well documented and can be found in most religions and sects. Between 1970 and 1980 the Catholic church performed something like 600 exorcisms!
I'd have to say given all that, demonic possession is plausible. After all if I were a demon, living in eternal torment, then heck, I'd hijack the first living person I could to escape that. But before declaring someone possessed, I'd want a full medical and psychiatric work up done.
Sorry for the long answer.
Val
Ludley305 (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-04)
Val, For some time I have been reading your stories and have been admiring your wisdom. I would just like to ask: in your opinion, do you believe in demonic possessions?
Respect,
Ludley
darkassassin92 (119 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-31)
Well we never know some stories claimed they were accurate even blind people when they had this out of body and or astral projection thing I keep forgetting to do it.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-07-31)
Dark, OBEs are interesting. I don't believe I've ever had one, but my cousin has them regularly. The first time it happened it scared him poopless because he thought he had died and didn't know if he could get back into his body. I personally don't think OBEs are connected with the after-life, mostly because the person experiencing them isn't dead, to my knowledge they don't claim to associate with spirits or entities while having an OBE either. So, although interesting, and I sure can't explain them, they aren't ghost connected.
darkassassin92 (119 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-30)
I know out of body is not always death. But I do think out of body experience can prove after life not the topic on here I know but I'm just saying I'm so intrested in thisssubject.
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-30)
Dark I can not speak for all but I can speak for myself and many others I have seen on here. There are many people who feel that they would not be believed about their experiences and situation, as Valkricry said many of us have had people disbelieve us but most of the time it is not on this site. I am a Christian and I do not hate people because they don't believe in my religion, or any for that matter. You are entitled to believe that Jesus did or did not have the powers the Bible said. There are many Christians on this site who give their advice based on Christianity, that does not mean they have negative feelings of you. The most important thing to remember is this IF you come across confrontational then you will receive an equally confrontational reply. The things that caused you to be the way you are and believe what you do/don't may very well be important into us helping you, as they shaped who you are. That being said you don't have to accept peoples explanations but it would be wise to not say something about their explanations that may be taken rude. The easiest way to declare it supernatural is to rule out all scientific explanations, again it is no attack on you we are just trying to help.
darkassassin92 (119 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-30)
Wait I can't tell you everything about me because its too long and some people won't agree what I see. And I will be hated even morewatch youtube videos of me that's how you get to know me some of the things I say you will hate me especially if your christian. If its religion about jesus yes people won't agree with me on that because I don't think he had powers like others say. I just can't unless you really can handle what I have to say I'm saying your going to hate me if your a religious person as I just said before. I will say this don't bother will youtube they don't care about you or me they only want their money they change let's say if I type in ghost busters part 1 for example I might get something how to make food instead of that its true.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2013-07-30)
Dark, actually this is the place to put that. It's in answer to my comment and that makes it ok. Folks can see what was said before and it ties it all in, making it make sense.
Ok, I understand you had a sucky experience over on YouTube. And I can believe someone blocked you from subscribing to their feed, after all they have their share of nut-jobs that do things heaven knows why too. But this is not YouTube. You've a chance for a clean slate here. I doubt if very many of us do not know the sting of not being believed. At some point most of us were not believed, not by family or friends, some of us even got called names, and told we were either crazy, lying, or just imagining things. So, when we pull the BS blankie over a story it isn't done lightly. When we say something is made up, it's because it screams it. We ask questions to clarify points, and sometimes there's a language barrier to dig through, and often we'll offer non-paranormal suggestions on what COULD have caused it. But we seldom dismiss someone's story until we simply can not accept it as truth any more. And believe me, you KNOW if we don't believe something you said, because it's right there in black and tan.
About the story you had rejected. Miracles said she sent a letter telling you why it was rejected... If it's a matter of you not quite grasping the reason, or if you just don't know how to fix it for re-submission, then I can help you with it. Just forward it, with Miracle's reason to me, my email is on my profile. Be sure to put YGS in the subject line or I might not see it. I can't promise that it would be accepted for publication, but I can offer to help you if it was because of typos, punctuation, spelling etc. OK?
I noticed you did use punctuation in your post this time. Thank You 😊
darkassassin92 (119 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-30)
Im not saying you if I did you will know. I just need to know people first it doesn't mean I hate them or like them. I'm neutral with a lot of people because I'm scared to express how I feel sometimes. I helped because you were respect if I was being rude to you I would say but I'm not. When I was on my accounts on youtube I had 4 2 got terminated every time I got on I was being bullied it sucks when no one believes someone blocked me for sub him just to be nice. I hope people can forgive me for putting this I know its not the place but I'm just saying.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2013-07-30)
Dark, you know what? You make me want to cry. And I don't cry easy. You want to know why? Because you aren't even giving anyone on here a chance to know or like you, before you start in being aggressive and all 'go ahead and hate me'. It's like you don't even see what we've written and want people to be upset with you...*sigh* I don't know what ever made you that way, and I'm sorry you feel you need to be that way. But if you really want help with your questions and so on, then you've got to meet us half way.
Technically, you are spamming. That does not mean being rude, it means saying the same thing over and over on multiple threads. Miracles would tell me the same thing if I was doing it. It's just very bad form, and people get annoyed because they can't figure out what you are talking about. Just because someone says, it could have been X, does not mean they don't believe you. It means, "ok that happened and maybe this is what made you think that." A possible answer.
If you think you made a mistake joining, then delete your account. That's your prerogative, your choice.
PoliexterLy (2 stories) (92 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-07-30)
Miracles: I think this is the part where we grab popcorn and watch calmly 😁
darkassassin92 (119 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-30)
I don't know any of you either I need to know before I can say friends its just way too many problems happened to me that's why I'm no onesΒ friend anymore like one first meet them. Off topic some body quit coming on here forgot who but he was having the same thing I had I think no one believed.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-30)
PoliexterLy - I've done what I can do πŸ˜‰. Now all we can do is wait and see.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-07-30)
darkassassin - this is exactly why I said you are too immature for this site. You are reading way too much into this and taking it way too personally.

I don't know you, darkassassin, and frankly there are way too many other things I could waste my time doing than hating someone I don't know.

I will delete any further comments that deal with hate and anger. Do you understand me?

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: