You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Coffee Time? 2

Real Ghost Stories

Coffee Time? 2

 

The Ghostie hasn't offered me any coffee in awhile, but I have noticed some other activities, and thought I would share them.

I've begun hearing sounds that I had previously contributed to the downstairs neighbor's dog or her visiting grandkids. Nothing scary: the sound of a hard ball or similar object being dropped and rolled across a hardwood floor, foot steps crossing the room, and now and then a muffled voice that sounds like a young man. I've only clearly heard one word, "Mom". Like I said, I had contributed these to the downstairs neighbor: problem? I'm hearing them, and she has moved out and the new tenants were still on the horizon. Since she left a key with me, in case of an emergency (burst pipe, etc.) I decided to investigate.

I should note here, that the sounds seem to originate in my apartment but because of accoustics and logic, I was more than willing to believe they came from downstairs. The only uncovered hardwood floor in my apartment is my bedroom, her living room (hardwood) is directly beneath. Since I hear these sounds mostly from bed, and they seem a bit 'echo-ey' or coming from a distance, downstairs seems logical. It had also occurred to me that a homeless person or someone had gained access to the apartment below, but I had not heard any 'break-in' sounds.

So, down I went and discovered - nothing. My neighbor hadn't left so much as an over grown dust bunny in her wake, let alone something that could replicate the sounds I heard. There's been other times when I was the only tenant here during the past 10 years, so I'm well acquainted with the house's sounds, and these sounds were definitely NOT of the house's making. I even ventured down to the basement, that too was vacant. I locked up and returned to my own apartment, scratching my head.

I've begun making notes of when I heard these things; the time, date, weather, how I was feeling, where I was in my apartment, to see if there's a pattern, but there doesn't appear to be. Although new neighbors (a father and 3 young boys) have moved in, I still hear these sounds now and then. I plan on perhaps approaching the subject once we're better acquainted. No sense in scaring anyone, or being written off as a 'looney'.

Another thing is the door to my bedroom. I generally leave it open or ajar so that Kirby, my cat can come and go. Lately, it has been shutting itself - tight. I mean all the way shut. I've watched it close, and it doesn't 'swing' shut, but more like someone is closing it softly. Very weird. This seems to happen only on nights when I am having difficulties sleeping. I think I've mentioned before, work requires me to get up at 4 AM, which means bed by 9 or so. Sometimes J (the roommate) is still up and watching TV. The living room is just off my bedroom and I can clearly hear it. J is, well somewhat disabled, a bit hard of hearing, and talks to the shows' characters. TV is one of his few joys, so I tolerate the TV being a bit on the loud side. But there are times, even though he's turned it downed, it still disturbs me. This is when I've seen my door close. It's exactly as if something is saying 'nite' to me. The first few times, I was a bit freaked, but there's a sense of comfort that comes with it. I don't worry that Kirby can't come in (his litter box is in the corner of my room - lucky me...) because there's times I've heard him pawing at the door and have heard the knob turning, when I open my eyes the door is ajar. There are times, Kirby acts as if he 'sees' something, or as if he's being petted or played with. And if he isn't skittish, then I know there's nothing to fear. Even if he is a weird cat.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-03)
ConfederateGhost,
Thanks for having read and commented on my story.
ConfederateGhost (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-02)
Too right val, it's time I put the kettle on for some coffee. That was a long read but an enjoyable one.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
Thanks LeavesFall and psychicmama. Whomever this ghostie is, he's/she's gone quiet again. Or else it's being very subtle, and that's ok.
LeavesFall (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-23)
That's an awesome story. I like the idea that some Ghosts are just cool and helpful. And he likes cats!:)
psychicmama (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-26)
Well that's pretty darn cool. What a thoughtful spirit. Thanks for another really interesting update!
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
Argette, you mean like that plastic dome popper on a stick, tyke's have? They push it as they walk and 'pop','pop','pop'. It can get very annoying. Here's an article that MIGHT help: http://www.ehow.com/info_8707858_popping-noise-walls-attic.html But if it isn't driving you crazy, I wouldn't worry. Doesn't sound like the roof or walls might collapse cause of it.
The aromas - unless you're right near a bakery I'm stumped!
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
Val, the popping sounds could be described as knocking, too, I guess. To me, they sound like a plastic toy popping but are muffled, as though they are in the walls. They appear to come from interior walls. It could be the sound of something contracting or expanding, I guess.

As for the bakery smells, I've been getting these for nearly 20 years: French toast, cinnamon toast, waffles, cake, etc., usually between 2 a.m. And 3-4 a.m. There are only two of us in the house, and my husband is usually snoring beside me when the aromas occur. They are only on my side of the room.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
Hi Zeta, yes the house is only 2 apartments. J's disability is multiple. One is physical: the hard of hearing, pinched nerves in the neck, and joint problems. The fact that he weighs well over 350 pounds doesn't help. The other is mental. Although he is 30 years old, mentally he ranges from around 10 to 16. Depending on the area you look at. He's been with me for a bit over 2 years, and everyone including his state gaurdian and doctors are amazed at how much he has matured being around me. He seems oblivious to the sounds I've been hearing or maybe they're outside his range of hearing.
Well, that is an idea BJJ, maybe he's just checking things out.
Argette, you get bakery smells? Yummmm! What sort of 'popping' sound have you heard?
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
I love this... Coffee time 2! Well, now I would tend to believe that this spirit could very well be associated with the house/property and maybe not you personally, although seems to have taken a liking to you.

Does this house just have two apartments? Yours upstairs and the man and sons downstairs? Don't take this wrong but when you mention that J is disabled, do you mean hearing impaired or something else? Don't answer if you do not feel like it. Just curious as certain spirits can appear more to people who may not be as sensitive in a certain sense but more sensitive in others.

Have you thought about researching the property?
Thanks, zeta.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
Val, this really hits home for me. Because along with the bakery smells I get in the bedroom in the middle of the night (they last about a minute), I also hear marbles rolling across a hardwood floor. My bedroom floor is hardwood, too, and so is the room below it, the breakfast room. I have chalked this up to squirrels on the roof. But sometimes I hear it in the middle of the night. More often it is a dawn sound.

I also hear popping sounds. Living in a house for nearly 20 years, I have a feel for what is normal or seasonal, and the pops are new.

I think someone is watching out for you, making sure you get your sleep.

Great story. Thank you!
k9keira (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
wow, that's nice that a ghost does shut the door for you, I would of been freaked out a few times myself but I live with my nan so I wouldn't really think much of it but that's just me... 😁
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-25)
Maybe the sounds that seem to be coming from downstairs is the resident ghost wondering where the old tenant went/checking out the new tenants?
Pretty cool that someone shuts the door for you. Even cooler that it is reopened for your cat.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: