You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Mysterious Woman

Real Ghost Stories

The Mysterious Woman

 

This is my second story and I will be telling you about one of my maternal grandmother's experiences. The particular experience made her a total believer in supernatural forces.

When my Grandmother was a young girl, she was a bit rebellious by nature. My great grandfather also loved her very much as she was a reason because of which his life had been spared during Hindu-Muslim riots of 1947. My maternal side also is Brahmin and so is my paternal (in India, people usually marry in the caste).

Around the year 1953, my great grandfather shifted to the town of Solapur. Here he lived in a temple for few years before purchasing a house of his own. Even though my grandmother lived in a very religious atmosphere, she did not believe in God or evil.

In our country, mostly in the villages, during certain times of the year a Devi enters the body of a certain individual. Now Devi literally means a Goddess. When this Devi enters the body of the individual, usually the entire village flocks on to meet her. They offer her food and different gifts, while the Devi usually aids them by giving them certain advice. Now near to my grandmother's house, there was a woman whose body would get possessed by some Devi certain times of the year. Everybody would go and offer their respects to this Devi.

Once it happened that my grandmother visited her home when she had been possessed. Seeing all the people over there praying to the Devi and offering her food and gifts amused my grandmother. She ridiculed the Devi in front of all the townsmen and said that even if Gods and Goddesses exists, they would never enter the body of a living man. Only evil spirits will try to something like this. Then she asked the townsmen to go back home and pray to their Gods over there. Saying so, she walked out of their home.

Later that night, before sleeping when my grandmother entered in to the toilet, she saw a beautiful woman with jet black hair, wearing a pure white sari standing there and staring at her. The woman had no rage in her eyes. She was just staring at my grandmother. Alarmed by the fact that a stranger was in our home, my grandmother ran to my great grandfather and told him that there is a stranger in the toilet. When he entered the toilet, the mysterious woman had vanished. As soon as he left, my grandmother could see the woman again. This time she really got scared and thought that this must be the spirit of that Devi. So she told my great grandfather the truth about what she had done in the morning. My great grandfather got really mad at this and told her never to insult any spirit ever again, good or bad. He told her that she was lucky as the spirit had not yet harmed her and asked her to go and beg forgiveness to the Devi next day.

The following day my grandmother went and asked for forgiveness to the Devi when she had possessed the woman. The Devi forgave her and she too asked my grandmother never to insult other spirits. She said that although some of them would understand her childish remarks, many others would have harmed her.

My grandmother's life completely changed after this incident. She started to believe in God more and became a totally religious person. Even today, when we meet, this is one of our favourite stories from her. She thanks the Devi for strengthening her belief in God. I don't know what these spirits actually are but if you search, you will find they are still quite popular in my country.

Other hauntings by Santosh12

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Santosh12, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Santosh12 (3 stories) (12 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-04)
What I have understood through talking with my paternal grandmother when I was young that usually gods and goddesses usually don't possess a man. They show their real forms to those who deserve it. These are spirits who have their own personal motivation to possess the bodies of people and in return of certain services aid those same people. I don't myself know why that particular spirit chose the toilet though. Sorry for late reply. My semester exams are on
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-03)
Hi Santosh12, I have the same doubt as Trishspooky. If at all it is Devi that showed in the toilet, why should toilet be chosen. This is a mystery. I am from India and I know Devi is Goddess Shakti or Parvathi, wife of Lord Shiva. But I do not think that she would show up in toilet, which is a place of impurity as Trish said. Perhaps it might be a different random sighting and I still feel that it might not have been connected to your grandmother's insulting the possessed woman. This is just my thinking.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Trishspooky (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-03)
this part really intrigue me... Why did the 'Devi' choose the toilet...isn't a Devi considered to be sacred and all? A toilet is a place of impurity. 😉 Was just thinking... 😕
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-02)
Interesting story.
One part of me understands your grandmother's doubts about a goddess possessing a person, specially if this would mean people giving her gifts and food... Almost anyone would be tempted to pretend a possession out of greed.
Wich makes me wonder, -how can you tell if a person is really possessed by a devi?

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: