You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Strange Singing at Pioneer Church

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Singing at Pioneer Church

 

My fellow investigator Paul Roberts had his hunches about Sutters fort after getting ghost reports on his hotline, so we rambled around in the twilight looking for any sign of anomalous mischief. Much of the time was picking up EVP's then blushing when realizing it was only the ambient sounds of downtown Sacramento on Saturday evening.

Picture of Athena 1 A few instances tantalized us, but when Paul saw Pioneer church across the street he froze. And he turned to me rather solemnly and asked if I wanted to check it out. His reaction was surprising, he had just told me that he didn't think himself a psychic and yet here he was drawn by some unseen force, we ditched Sutter's fort without a second thought. Paint was chipping on the sides of the church showing its old age underneath. Historically speaking this is not an old site, less than 150 years old, but this church would have witnessed the hardness of life on the "frontier" and the cruelty of people, everything from crimes done on those with no-rights and for no reason at all, to public hangings at Sutters fort.

Picture of Athena 2 I stepped in its walking-labyrinth and realized this place had a sincerely eerie soulfulness. Paul was taking pictures, scratching his Journalist itch. I had been stuck to his side during the entire investigation and at that one moment had felt prompted to go to the threshold of the church. Being psychic is part of being human, I think, and so I was just going with the flow. The doors were locked, but tall and wide enough for host of Angels to gallop in. For awhile, I just stood there trying to block out the happenings of the evening and welcome any souls that desired my interface or who wanted to try out the microphone on the "listen-up".

I was just giving up when I looked at the door on the left, and decided that's where I should be. I stood quietly then heard Paul talking about the church as he walked up the steps to the threshold. In that same moment I heard something that sounded like a congregation singing from inside the church. After entertaining any number of reasons why that might happen and realizing all my rational explanations were mostly unreasonable, I just let myself be puzzled as I listened.

Pioneer Church What I remember best is how long I heard the singing and how defined several of the voices were. Altos, baritones and sopranos, male and female, and they were all on key. I was so excited I whispered quietly to Paul that I was hearing something. I tried to tune back in, but couldn't hear anything after that. Disappointed, I was going to walk away. "Let me try..." so, I fitted the earphones in his ears and stood by curiously. Thinking I was going to be a distraction to him, I began to pull myself down the steps. "Whoa! I heard a thud!" He said. Then he said he heard a one-way conversation and a little boy's voice. Chills and goose bumps claimed me, and I huddled close, listening for anything. The last thing he said was that something was "opened". And that was enough. He pulled out his earplugs, raised his brows and smiled.

Later, I just couldn't believe how much activity we picked up there, it is certainly crying out for attention from the living, and a place that deserves time, and more permissiveness inside, to explore.

Other hauntings by Athena

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Athena, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-24)
Dear Reader, Sorry to say that I suspect that this experience may not be a paranormal experience. It was probably set up by someone that was messing with me.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-28)
These digital pictures are not great with detail. My man-friend tells me that the faces on the pictures don't look like me, distortion because of resizing, or whatever. Anyway, I really hope that the spookiness does come through. PR mentioned that people were reporting hearing the galloping of horses and yelling men within the fort. 😊
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-27)
Dear Athena,

I am saying that it is wonderful that you were able to connect with Paul Roberts on this site, Yourghoststories and join his ghost hunting and investigative group, since you are all based out of the same area and state of California. It was also not a coincidental connection, but it was meant to be. Now, you have the opportunity to use your gifts, talents, and help with investigations. --Now, that is a blessing indeed. Thanks for sharing it with us, as Paul Roberts and his group has too.--Abby
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
Hi Abby- Sorry I don't understand your message, but anyway Andy, thanks for writing again and RE our conversation about communicating with your dad. Using an EVP sounds good! Most people leave at least ten seconds after asking a question and sometimes even leave the tape recording in the 'active' room, controlling for outside sounds of course. Thank you! It would be an honor to get your updates. God Bless You!
ghosthost (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
Hey Athena! Just wanted to write back and say thanks for the kind words. If and when we ever do go over to investigate I'll let you know the outcome. And I think that I would prefer doing as you suggested and just use EVP. I get a feeling that he would respond. It would totally freak me out though I think. But, it is getting close to Halloween (which is my favorite time of year.) So, maybe it's as good a time as any. Fitting sort of. 😲. Talk to you soon...
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
Dear Athena,

I appreciate you sharing HPI's group, Paul Roberts' and your investigative story and photos with myself and others here. Since you are all based out of California, you certainly have been blessed to have been on ygs site here to have been able to connect with HPI and Paul Roberts. This shows that there are no coincidences. :) --Abby
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
I'm only 16 years old I just get some prove of them by taking pictures of the ghosts. They like showing up unexpectedly they only get in pictures if I'm in them why can't they be in a picture on there own.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
Hi there Princess, Thanks for writing! If there are no paranormal investigation groups in your area, then you could start one. They tend to attract people who are fun too. We are getting ready for our Samhain party... Visit HPI for ideas for your own group
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
Ghost Host Thanks for writing! I'm so glad your father didn't leave by choice! That would have been much more painful, huh? I am so glad I was wrong! What you said about that connection you had with your father makes me think he was on the intuitive side too. Maybe where you got it from? How sad that you feel it is your fault, in part, that your father died. I hope that you will see it is not actually "your families fault" good and bad things just happen in life, many times for no reason. Heart attacks usually happen to folks who are vulnerable through genitics then setoff by lifestyle choices. Frequently, in our society, its the clogged artery that's the culprit not family.
Believe me if it was a broken heart then 2/3rds of everyone you see would pass, family stuff is really hard to deal with. Please, don't take on that misplaced shame, or let anyone you love do that. The only lesson I hope you carry from your fathers passing is that everything in life changes, nothing is permanent. And death is one of the hardest and most scary things we ever face. Most of us live an entire life trying to gain the courage to let go of everything then pass on. You as a Christian know for sure that the soul doesn't die at death. And I believe that your father is doing now what he wanted to do in life, loving and protecting his family. I think he is there for you now Andy. 😁 ❤ 😊 Lastly, the ouija board is a hot topic, have you noticed that? I think it is an overblown topic! Most people shout out don't use it! Or don't use anything like it- Tarot, I ching, tea leaves... I'm not sure why most people react like this though, mass hysteria? I happen to know from personal experience that ouija's are powerful, and too powerful for me. What I mean is I can't seem to get the right beings when I use it. Seems like it just let's in whoever. Only you or your sister know if it would be your medium of choice... Because you are so sensitive you could just ask your dad to communicate with you. Ask him the most important questions you have, and tell him what you have been needing to tell him the most. I think he would really respond to that. You guys could bring some of the equipment I talked about before... And I bet you are right that his house may be the place to do it. Maybe you will have another story before too long. A story that you cherish and that will bring you happiness for the rest of your life.
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
Thanks for sharing your story with us. I'm interesting in ghost hunting because I am gifted. You should read my stories on psychic experience website my name is Katie on there.
My stories are called round lights, things happening in the dark, Money spells, Feeling like the bed is floating, Something is breathing on me, seeing through things at night time, most houses can get that strange feeling, The floating clouds and dreams which come true in a bad way.

Hi my name is Katie and I go through strange unusual things in my life it stated from the age of 2 years old when I got a flash back of my past and past life. At the age of 4 I had a dream about my baby book the first time I saw my baby book was at the age of 11 years old. I had already seen it before which is strange. I'm a bit telepathic I can see ghosts , hear them as well. I have dreams of strangers then see them as ghosts.
I heard a little girl's voice last week she was singing/talking fast and then she banged. She so cute they come to me. I would love to have my own programme about things like this. They don't scare me my dreams also come true the bad ones. This week when ever I touch my mobile I get a text message.
I like playing that game guess the number the other person is thinking I got my mum's alright straight 15 right. I got a voice inside my head once saying Katie open the door they did my nan's voice. I went to the door and my nan was about to knock on. I asked her if it was her shouting she said no. I dream about things before they happen like near to death experiences and that.
I have had a dream of someone else's life It was all old fashioned. 😊
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
See much less than a "few weeks" now you know why you are an amazing web master in mine eyes.
ghosthost (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
Hi again Athena! Yes, I do believe that I do possess a certain degree of psychic ability. Not as far as being able to predict things but being able to sense things. I can walk through a place and feel energies and I had some weird telepathic connection to my father. While he was living he would come to me in my dreams out of nowhere. When I would finally go see him he would always say "been waiting for you". It was a known fact that he could do things that you were'nt supposed to be able to do. He died (so they say) from a massive heart attack while totally alone. He was found the next morning by my step brother. The reason I believe that he is still in that house is because of unfinished business. He was in the process of trying to get his family back who had all deserted him. He died of heart break and loneliness. When he passed, sadly, he and I were at odds with each other. Which I regret. I guess that's the driving force that makes me want to go over there. My brother and half sister want to as well. But, she wants to use an ouija. I don't really know how I feel about that for they really freak me out. Anyway, thanks for your advise and email me anytime. 😊
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
Hi Athena, I am not above appreciating a compliment here and there sent my way 😳 (as long as it not just sucking up, hehe), well, can't wait to get them (if I haven't already, dunno, haven't checked, just came back from a generous beerio night). Oh, I just checked, should be up any time now...

(5 min later)

There you go! Thanks a bunch! I love photos with stories...
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
PS Martin, our Amazing web master, may be publishing pictures of the hunt in a few weeks ❤
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
Hi Ghost Host! I'm nosey, what were the circumstances surrounding your fathers death (I keep getting this mental picture of a gun in his mouth)? Maybe there is a reason why you haven't investigated that house? Ghost investigations are long periods of boredom; long boring drives, setting up, maybe getting permission from the authorities, blah blah blah. Boredom is, sometimes, punctuated with interesting things. And even though I bet most investigators would never tell you, but beings can follow people home. And no I don't think they just prey on the "weak". They just hang around whoever is most likely to give them what they want and whoever is most sensitive/intuitive.
Next, what are you good at? Are you a psychic (I already know that you are), good with gadgets? Good writer and note taker (check that box too Andy) Play to your strengths and find a couple others who are ghost hunter to go with you.
Ok, If all of this sounds interesting to you then here's some reading; "The Ghost Hunters Guidebook" by Troy Taylor and "A Paranormal Case book: Ghost Hunting in the new millennium" by Loyd Auerbach.
Common equipment: voice recorder for EVP's; 35mm digital camera, video camera with night vision.
How is that? I hope that if you do this, you will protect yourself psychically as your first priority. From your stories, I know that praying to God and church helps you. Grounding techniques done-right help me, you have an endless of helps there.
ghosthost (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-25)
Hey Athena, thanks for the story. I'm also interested in "ghost hunting" but haven't attempted it yet. One place in particular is my fathers house. I feel that he still dwells there giving his circumstances at the time of his death. His widow refuses to reenter the house.(she had moved out prior to his demise). On a side note I see your in Cali. I'm from NC and recently visited your state. Loved the beaches and weather.(Huntington,Laguna,Newport etc). Stay safe and if you have any suggestions on "hunting" please share!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-25)
Athena, thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: