You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Curse of "Shauneta"

Real Ghost Stories

Curse of "Shauneta"

 

Working until ten at night I often wasn't home until eleven. On one particular night, I had been shopping after work and found a glass cutting board with a beautifully painted rooster on it. Just my neighbor Patty's style! I wanted her to be surprised in the morning and find it on her porch. We lived in Orangevale California it is a country town outside of Sacramento. There were no porch lights between my home and hers, the thing I feared walking to her place was some drunk or spraining my ankle in a pot hole.

The country was safer than most parts of the city, it was more beautiful too, there were hawks, a few coyotes and huge oaks that were hundreds of years old, and this had occasionally led me to wonder what this land was like when it belonged to the Native Americans, before the Spanish and the US arrived. That night fearing an addict, I let my baby-dog out to walk with me. Her name was Jelly Bean and she was a protective German Shepard, a good companion and protector. About 10 feet from the porch I heard a man say "shauneta" over my left shoulder. He sounded like a mere yard from me, my adrenaline had started pumping and I was getting goose bumps. My dog was sniffing some flowers and seemed to be ignoring the situation.

I slowly turned to meet this person, my lungs filling with air ready to scream and wake everyone if I had to. No one was there! My dog was still enjoying the garden. I am a logical person and I tried to figure out where the voice had came from, it was a voice that had no organic source, but had a crystal clear tone. I had no idea what this word meant, do you? Deep in my bones I felt like I had just intruded on someone and this person was upset at me. I quickly ran to the porch tossed my gift there and called to Jelly Bean and we ran back home.

I shut the door and every window to keep the night breezes out. I knew it was a ghost. My dog came over to me and I petted her for a long, long time. The next morning I left early to school and researched what that word meant, I just couldn't find any definition. That is when everything I loved began to get destroyed off piece by piece, but all within three months of that night.

First, I was made to leave my well paying job. Second, my beloved, and up to that point healthy, dog got very sick. The vet said nothing could be done for her. Three weeks later she died of a stomach tumor. Third my cars transmission blew up. School was thirty miles away and I had to drop out. Lastly, my beloved favorite aunt Honey-Jo called me, saying the doctors gave her only two weeks to live. She was a fit and healthy non smoking 74 year old woman. She had lung cancer. Honey-Jo in many ways had been closer to me than my parents. I went to visit her and she passed on.

All of these things happening concurrently were excruciating. This is more than coincidence, this strange voice and then terrible occurrences. Was the voice a Native-American victim of a long ago genocide taking revenge? I guess I don't need to ask that I feel the answer is yes. If you know what "shauneta" means please let me know, this is a mystery so important to me!

Other hauntings by Athena

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Athena, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-24)
Athena,
I used to live in Orangevale, and Folsom. Did this group provide false evidence or not?

Jav
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-24)
Dear Reader, I am sad to inform you that I have to say that I doubt this experience is paranormal. Although, knowing the exact source of the voice is uncertain, I am aware now that likely this was probably somebody messing with me and probably the voice was an electronic transmission from a high quality device.
ghostfox96 (1 stories) (25 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-07)
Shawnee comes from the Algonquin word "shawun" (shawunogi) meaning "southerner." However, this referred to their original location in the Ohio Valley relative to other Great Lakes Algonquin rather than a homeland in the American southeast. Shawnee usually prefer to call themselves the Shawano - sometimes given as Shawanoe or Shawanese. South Carolina colonists knew them as the Savannah or Savannuca. Other names: Ani-Sawanugi (Cherokee), Chaouanons (Chauenon) (French), Chaskpe (Chaouesnon) (French), Chiouanon (Seneca), Cumberland Indians, Ontwagnnn (Iroquois "one who stutters"), Oshawanoag (Ottawa), Satana (Iroquois), Shawala (Lakota), and Touguenha (Iroquois).
ghostgirl1997 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-03)
What I know of something close to Shauneta is Shawnee: An Indian Tribe. Red Hawk tried to escape by climbing up a chimney. He was killed. Ellinipsico was killed as he sat on a stool. The other Native American was strangled to death. Cornstalk was shot eight times. In 1908, an 86 foot tall monument was built in memory of the men who died in the Battle of Point Pleasant where the confederacy was defeated. It was supposed to be dedicated on July 22nd, but lightning came out of a clear sky and badly damaged a derrick that was supposed to put the monument in place. The monument was dedicated on August 22nd.

On July 4th, 1941, another bolt of lightning hit the monument. It was repaired. People wondered if this was because of Cornstalk's curse.

There have been other disasters on the land that the chief cursed.

Consider you maybe live on the boundary of that land
KatieChan (3 stories) (63 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-03)
I never heard of the word shauneta before. I tired yo look up the word but I got no results from the online Dictionary. Well, good luck and God Bless! ❤ KatieChan
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-19)
Tanner, I just noticed you are a new member, a hearty welcome to ya! I can't wait to see your stories! Thanks to everyone for thier comments. That was more feedback than I expected! The way he, the ghost, said the word was not like a name, rather like an exclaimation. I didn't indicate it in the story because I didn't want to stop the creative juices from flowing. Interestingly, I made a dear friend a couple months after this incident and his moms name is pronounced Shaunte; it's a Hindi name. If anyone reads this story and wants to look up Shaute, please feel free to play with spellings. The ghost said it, didn't spell it 😆. Bless your heart for caring!
Tanner (2 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-19)
Hmm, maybe your house is built ontop of an old Native place, and Shauneta could be one of the women in the tribe... Its not any language that I know (I'm Native; Dog Rib Cree)
Tanner
purplequeen12 (2 stories) (69 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-02)
I know this sounds not very nice, but what if you said that word to a different person to help break the curse? Just a suggestion...
pinkyls24 (9 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-01)
shane,

may I ask what is it to be "smudged"? I hav never heard of this? And how would you get a "charged crystal"?
CearysAwesome (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-30)
Athena just to let you know, sometimes lung cancer is passed down genetically so it does not have anything to do with smoking, if lung cancer is not in your family then, this is not the case.

Ceary
CearysAwesome (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-30)
I agree with Shane. Shauneta is a name. I looked up the name for you on google.com but nothing so I looked up Shawnetta. Nothing. I looked up Shawn the male name or it could be Shaun. Shaun means God is gracious. Maybe Shauneta means the same thing and the man who told you this name had a wife name that who had terrible things happen to her, so the man wanted to free his wife from the curse so he told you her name so he could go home with her. Just an idea...

Ceary 😁 😁 😁
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-29)
Becareful what you ask for as I am sure you are going to get some very different answers here. I am not able to come up with anything other than Shauneta being a name. Quite possible that the experience left you with negative energy surrounding you and in order to remove this negative energy I would recommend having yourself smudged and wearing a charged clear quartz crystal. Hope all works out well for you.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: