You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Big One

Real Ghost Stories

The Big One

 

I left my last story "Just a Handful..." with the late night visit. Whatever it was came into my room and stopped on the other side of my bed. This story will pick up from there just a few weeks later.

I had been on my guard since the last visit. It was the first time I felt threatened/scared. At this time I was not very well versed with the finer points of hauntings or how to deal with them. It was a week night so it was off to bed early because I am a natural early riser. I was awakened around midnight by a horrible nightmare that left me and the sheets soaking wet. The details of that dream have faded over the years but still remember the darkness of it.

I got up to get a drink of water and to let the sheets dry out a bit. I climbed back into bed shifting more to one side to stay off the damp sheets. As I laid there trying not to think of the nightmare I caught an "off" sound that came from the end of the bed. My ears perked up as I strained to hear the sound again. I decided to grab a pillow and propped

My head up on the sleigh bed's footboard. Just moments later I did hear the sound again. It came from the wall that was just feet from my head. I shot straight up and turned to face the sound. The sound was nothing I had ever heard or have ever heard since that night. I can only compare it the sound of a can of spray paint being discharged but much, much lower in tone.

As I stared at the wall and sound I tried to pin point what part of the wall it was coming from. However the sound would be toward the lower part and then sound off up toward the top. They came 5-10 seconds apart. Then 4-5 seconds apart. Shooting from the top left to the bottom right. All of a sudden it was a constant repetitive mean disturbing LOUD over and over again. I had back up from the foot of the bed mid way through staring with WIDE eyes trying to figure out what the h#*ll was going on.

I soon realized that I did want to be where I was at. I jumped from the bed and headed for the front of the house. As I entered the utility room the sound got stronger and louder. It was coming from the bathroom that was opposite from my room. I flipped the light on in the utility room as I eased up to the bathroom. The sound was deafening. I stretched my arm into the bathroom to turn on the light. The sound was coming from the bathtub and wouldn't you know it the shower curtain was closed. I was pretty much freaking out at this point and wasn't about to enter the bathroom and open that curtain with my hand.

I looked around the utility room and saw the broom. I quickly grabbed that and slowly creped into the bathroom. I had the broom stretched out cause I wanted to be as far away from that tub as possible. I hooked the end of the shower curtain and jerked it open. And there, right there in front of me was nothing. Nothing but this evil, evil sound going around in circles over and over pausing from second to second to stop in front of me to give me a "well howdy do" to let me know it knew I was there.

I was shaking in my undies. Tears were streaming down my face and was unable to comprehend what I was witnessing. I have since learned that mean hauntings feed off your fears, well let me tell you there was plenty of fodder to feed from. I was absolutely terrified. This moment only lasted about a minute or two but seemed like hours. It continued going around and around in this small space of the shower/tub getting madder and madder. The low deep spraying sound was so loud at this point. After the few minutes it made a move to the lower part of the tub constantly making the sound and going in circles. Here's odd part, IT went down the drain. You could hear as the tone changed as it entered the opening and how the sound carried as it went into the plumbing to fade out.

I was left standing there with a broom in my hands shaking. I quickly left the bathroom and went to the front room. I was pacing back and forth trying to figure out what had just happened and what I was going to do next. I knew I had to calm down some how. That sound just seemed to continue in my head over and over. I grabbed my phone and text Jennifer. (I told her I was writing this and got her permission to use her name). I tried to explain what had just happened and she did what she could do to comfort me.

After a bit I knew I had to get to bed because I had to be a work in a short time. With EVERY light on I eased into the bedroom. I climb into bed sliding all the way to the other side of the bed with my back on the edge of the bed. I was facing the door way and could see pretty much all of the room. I laid there for only a few moments when I felt something set on the bed right where the previous visitor stopped. It sat on part of my leg as it made itself comfortable. I was able to see the bed compress down as this happened. Sigh, I screamed like a little girl and ran to the front room and picked up my shaking. I was back to the pacing around like crazy again trying figure my best move.

The thing was I didn't have anyplace to go. I called Jennifer again relaying the bed moment. That's when I soon learned what Buck felt from the previous story. There was such a heavy, intense, thick, mean feeling/vibe that radiated from the door way into the utility room. It's presents was so, so forceful that I found myself in the furthest corner of the front room. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. I felt so mean. I was afraid it was going to spill into the front and fill it up with this thick soup.

Jennifer did what she could do from the phone but there was not much there at this point. I wanted to run and fast. But I was in my underwear and it was February in AR which means very cold. I had to set in the corner of that room for hours to pass until that feeling of being watched by a mean thing to fade away. When it did I ran into my room quickly gabbing whatever clothes I could find and throw them on as I headed out the front door.

I was at work a couple hours early and took that time to use the showers that were available. The whole day I was in a very bad way. I was able to share with one person what had happened and my concerns of going home that evening. It was obvious to all that I was still shaken up.

I did go home that afternoon. I didn't know what to expect. Things seemed to still have an odd feeling about them. What I did know was I was NOT sleeping in that room again and never did again. I filled up an air mattress and slept in the front room for the remaining two weeks that I lived there.

Comparably to some stories I have read on this site it may not seem BIG. However it was huge to me. It had terrified me and I know it wanted too. I usually enjoyed watching horror movies and such however after that night I didn't want anything to do with scared. I don't know if the next people that moved in had anything like this happen to them. I don't know the history of the house nor am I about to find out. I just want that house and what experienced stay in that part of the state. I very rarely travel through Melbourne anymore. But when I do I have yet to drive by the house.

Thanks for reading. Hope it makes sense. I'm kind of feeling strange reliving that time. But life moves on. Have lots of moments at different locations since then. Will work on some of those. Most are cute, fun, cool ones. Few were not but try to handle them better.

Other hauntings by Wish-Not

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wish-Not, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-04-26)
Everyway I go on this have personally has been a challenge. Ten years layer. From a "Handful" this house was everthing a person who didn't know. Took 10 years to realise.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-04-25)
Biblio- I'll work on that, however, I know that one of the "guidelines" is one can not tell of "other's" experiences unless they are family members. I believe I can mention certain parts but not a whole lot of her experiences.

In addition, this was NOT my childhood home. I only lived there a few months. Re-read a Handful and it will explain the timing and why I was there.

Appreciate Jan and your input.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-23)
Wish-not, I agree with Jan. Try calling it "The Big One, Part 2: A Decade Later."
That way, you'll be able to include the overlapping phenomena with her account of growing up there *and* her experiences with your childhood home into one neat, tidy, detailed package.
-Biblio.
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-04-22)
Wish-Not,

What are the odds, that that could happen. I do hope you will print this out as an event. We all can get caught up in the detail. You can't just tell only us!

Am I right Biblio?

I have to wonder if there is a cluster of activity in that spot or even a spread out area. Interesting.

Jan
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-22)
Biblio, msforgetmenott- Sorry for the delay.

We recently had a coworker retire. We hired a young lady that was working for an "abstract office" a couple doors down from us.

As we were getting to know her better, we started telling her about the activity we have experienced here in our office. She was quite hesitant to talk much about it. She eventually opened up and told us of her house that she grew up in that was haunted.

She told of full apparitions that targeted mainly her. She ran the full gamete of a haunting.

We finally asked "where" this took place at... MELBOURNE ARKANSAS.

When I heard that I was at full attention. This story came from Melbourne. So with a little effort we found out...

STRAIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE HOUSE THIS STORY CAME FROM.

Moreover, she knew the house I lived in was haunted. She knew the family that lived there before I did. She was actually in many times. Explained the lay out in detail.

She said that the lady that lived there would not sleep in the bedroom that I used.

So to have VALIDATION 10 years later to this event is just PRICELESS.

What are the odds? Coincidence? Fate? That I would be working with someone 10 years later that could verify my experience?
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-19)
Hi Wish-Not and Biblio,

Wish-not, perhaps you should join Biblio and I, as we are eating rubarb and fried clams. While sitting on pins and needles. Having fun though.

Fate verses coincidentals, does sound like an interesting event!

Jan
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-19)
It goes back to the question of fate? What are the odds? Would have not bet a penny on this.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-19)
And,' I'm a J R Tolkien fan and every time I see your screen name I see BILBO. No offence intended. Actually a compliment.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-19)
And those two stories are about that house. Handful And The Big One.
Validation is the word. Thinking about just writing a story about the word and the house/experience.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-19)
Biblio- It has has everything to do with that house TEN years later. When I left that house I didn't even want anything to do with it anymore. It scared me that much.

Low and behold, it's back. However
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-04-18)
Greetings, Wish-Not.

You've got me in suspense, now! I re-read "Just A Handful Of Smaller Things" and "The Big One," but it's like a Netflix binge: I *need* part 3! Obviously, I'll have to wait until some of the others chime in, so I'll take a seat next to Jan and try not to fidget too much.

Best,
Biblio.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-18)
missforgetmenott- Well hoping some of the old crew would join in. Value theirs as much as I do yours. May have to tag a few of them with this post.

TAG

Oh yeah, not here. Well I had something really COOL that happened last week with this story.

10 YEARS LATER! And it has to with "the odds of things"
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-17)
msforgetmenott- Gosh, thanks Jan. No, not confused. And all is well.

It does give one thought in my particular situation which does involve this story AFTER ten years.

I'm going to wait and allow others to chime in before I share certain goodies that have my mind spinning.

As always, thanks for commenting. Looking forward to sharing some pretty CRAZY SH*T.
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-04-17)
Hello Wish-Not,

Very nice to hear from you and hope all is well with you.

It is interesting you are bringing up the words Fate and Coincidence. I am in a position to have been dwelling on those words, myself.

From the internet--Fate or Destiny-may have relations to a past life.

Coincidence, on the other hand, has no direct or indirect relationship with a series of events and can not be explained in simple terms.

😉 Have I confused you further? We have missed you!
Jan
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-04-17)
Good morning YGS folks. I realize it's been awhile since I've commented on anything, however I've been around. Just observing from a distance.

I'm commenting on this particular STORY because I'm curious IF anyone only believes in coincidences? Or is everything fate?
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-14)
ahh, Tweed- Thank you! I appreciate the fact you remembered the story and my "fright" night. I have to say that as the years has past the issue have lessened somewhat. However, I don't think about it as much I as I used to. I guess this little paranormal vacation we are currently on helps. Vacation as in not having much at all 😁.

I have yet to hear anything like that sound since that night. I can't describe it any other way than I did from the story. Thanks again for thinking of me. I always enjoy reading your comments from other stories as well my own 😁
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-14)
Wish Not, for the past few weeks the people over the road from us have been tinkering with their car. Every now and then they do something while the motor runs which makes this weird low, super loud spraying noise. No idea what the hell they could possibly be doing to make this noise, nonetheless it's odd.

Last night they started up this noise after dark. Because it was dark out it reminded me of this awful encounter you had. 😭 Like you, I have no words for it.

I don't mean to say I know what you went through, as I can only imagine. Wanted to tell you this because I realise how things like this can traumatise a person. Although what I heard last night was that car being tuned or pimped or whatever they're doing, at the same time I felt for you and, yeah words fail me.😢
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-23)
Kindly_refrain- I appreciate that you did take time to read my stories and I'm really glad it led you to ALL the other awesome stories available here with YGS.

I guess one can look at this experience as a "spectacular encounters" as far as making a good story, however; it was FAR from anything spectacular. I'm sure you can understand.

Even coming back to comment on this stirs uneasy feelings in me. It brings back unwanted memories that I find difficult to deal with. Even with all that has happened since from our previous house hasn't helped. The pure meanness from this particular entity is something...well, I can't find the words for it.

Thank you for the kind words. I have to close this up, my heads spinning, ha. Weird, just plan weird why I still let this bother me like it does.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-22)
I said that I would read your stories when I saw that you had posted comments on mine. I have to tell you that I read all of your stories a couple of years back. Your stories are what got me into reading other stories on YGS. I understand that you had to live through this but they are spectacular encounters. I loved reading them and hope my encounters never reach anywhere near this level.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-20)
Kimmie- I didn't know that I could be that terrified. It was a life changing experience for me. Although the totality of that night has faded a lot, I can still bring that intense feeling back by telling the story or reading this again.

You mentioned that your spirit turned mean. Hope it wasn't to this extreme. Guess I will wait and see.

Thanks for reading Kimmie
KimmieWebb (8 stories) (32 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-20)
This story is horrifying to me. There is something about unexplained sounds that send chills up my spine, and for you to be alone! No thanks! I even have the creeps after reading it. Great story!
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
I don't think you are rambling. My son is a medium, and we have passing energies that look in our windows all the time. He senses them and our cats see them. Another medium said our house is like a magnet because of the combination of my healer-person energy and my son's medium abilities. So, there are ghost/energies around a lot. And they get attracted to various things. Do you need a house cleansing/blessing? I do this every month or so. And I regularly visualize like a force field all around my house and yard, keeping the negative ones at bay. I allow positives in, but only those whose intent is loving can come in. Keeps my dreams a lot lighter.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
I am wondering if, and that's a BIG if, we have a new visitor. Our current guest have not been able to achieve this. Or it hasn't wanted to before now. I mentioned that the house has been quite active lately but just the normal abnormal stuff that we have gotten used to. In addition, there are several stories I have written here about ones that just show up out of the blue and move on after making contact.

Is it possible that a new one has the old one riled up? Here I go again Elanora, rambling again.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
And I think an entity can even give you and your friend, Jennifer similar dreams if it wants to do that.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
And just to be clear, this has nothing to do with the dream. The question was can an entity influence a persons dream.

The question was asked by Jennifer after I made the comment on how weird my dreams have been the past three nights. She herself have been having them as well the past three nights. Coincidence? I don't know but the house has been quite active lately. So she was curious IF they could be the cause of it.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
I know this site has guidelines and dreams, specifically are not to be the main topic. I do find that ghosts/energies/however we want to label them influence us in ways we do not understand. I am fascinated with all of it, astral travel, the idea of time travel, multiple dimensions, etc. After many years of reading about quantum physics as well as psychic literature. From my reading and experience, it all comes back to our intention. That is why they can feed off our fears. Fear gives the impression of weakness. So they can easily take our energy. Anger is powerful, but love even more so. I am always happy to chat more. I love these sites.
Hecate
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
HecateO- I appreciate your comment. I have heard of astral travel. Not sure if I actually do/done it though. I am sure there are hazards involved as you mentioned.

My visitor that night had absolutely no troubles reaching me. It came through LOUD and clear. Scared the poop out of me. Ha.

Thanks for taking the time to read and commenting!
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
Wish-Not, I have long stories about dreams being influenced both by the energies themselves and by my worries about them. I think it is time I posted a story or two here. But to answer your question quickly, both. That energy, whatever it was, negative or feisty, can reach you sometimes even more easily in your dreams. We are also more likely to inadvertently leave our bodies, astral travel. And they have access to us that way, too. That is my take on it.
Hecate
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
I would like to take a moment and get everyone's thoughts on something that was asked this morning. It is actually something that started my horrid night from this story. The "nightmare".

The question that was asked "Can an entity influence a persons dream"?

I personally feel that the "Mean SOB" that gave a horrible night did indeed cause me to have the nightmare. I'm not sure if that was it's intention or just the fact that it made itself known to me caused it. Like it's presence was enough to cause the nightmare.

Really interested in what others think on this.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-03)
ifihadyoux- Our current guest is just a trickster/button pusher. It has not been trying to scare us at all. It just requires a little attention every now and then. So trying to get rid of it? Not really.

However we get a new one every so often that gives us the "SURPRISE"! Factor that manages to give me/us a scare. But I don't think it means to. So far.

Anyways, always appreciate your comments and taking time to read my stories.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: