You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: I'm Going To Kill You 2 - Hank

Real Ghost Stories

I'm Going To Kill You 2 - Hank

 

In the comment section of "I'm Going To Kill You", several wondered if I had ever felt Hank's presence after his mysterious death thirty odd years ago. I promised to write it up and submit it.

Before starting, I want to tell you straight up - I'm not 100% sure how much of the following is paranormal, and how much was 'wishful thinking'; meaning if perhaps in my hurting and missing my friend, my mind simply manufactured it. All I can do, is present you with the facts as I remember them. Keep in mind, at the time in question, I did carry a sense of guilt over his death, and felt responsible for it to some degree.

The first time I felt Hank's presence was the day he died. As I said in the first account, Hank was a very, very big man. Even compared to the average person, he was huge, while I stood on the other end of the spectrum - at 4 foot ten, he quite literally dwarfed me. Sometimes, in jest he would palm my face, the way some guys can palm a basket ball. For some weird reason, he thought that was hysterical. That night, as I sat quietly weeping and whispering that I was so terribly sorry, that I shouldn't have gone to work, that I should have protected him better - I felt that gigantic hand covering my face, and heard him calling me 'Li'l Bit', the way he sometimes did. This gave me some sense of comfort, I wanted to believe that he didn't hold me accountable, even if I did, and he was ok.

I sensed Hank again, during the memorial/fundraiser we were having for him at that bar I had mentioned. At his usual spot sat a glass of his favorite beer, and black streamers had been strung to frame his picture, going from the bar and down to the stool, so no one would accidentally sit there. Some folks added flowers, or candles to help mark his spot. There was a song Hank would sometimes ask me to sing, at times when the bar would be fairly empty, except for the regulars, called "Siúil a Rún" (sounds like "Shoo la rul"). The verses are in English, but the chorus is Irish. I'm not a great singer, but sometimes I would just to make the big man happy. I don't remember who was the first to suggest that I sing it that night, only that several joined in the asking, and how much Hank would like it. So, I did. I looked over at where he usually sat, and I could have sworn for just a glimmer of a minute, I saw him there, slightly turned towards me, as he often did, with his easy going smiling, his eyes half closed, nodding as if to say, "Oh, yeah..." For just that moment, I could have sworn I really did see him. I know it wasn't his picture either because the BACK of it was facing me.

I guess it was almost a month later, when his family decided they had to clear out his townhouse and put it up for sale. His mom "just couldn't" and I understood that. I was asked to accompany his older brother. Of course, I hadn't told them what I suspected, that perhaps Hank had been killed by a ghost, or even that the place was haunted. That just isn't something you drop in someone's lap, especially someone who is grieving. But it also is not something you just let someone walk into blindly. No, you at least walk with them. So, I found myself there once again. Broad daylight, with some lame excuse already given as to why I had to be home before night fall. I SO did not feel good about it... However, I felt duty bound. I was also relieved to find his brother was bringing two friends along to help things go quicker. I wanted it to be in, out, done.

It was almost anticlimactic; no doors banging without reason, no scary voice - nothing. Unless you want to count the guys thinking I was a bit nuts for insisting we stuck in pairs. Of course surrounded by his things, I felt like Hank was there. The kitchen was askew - drawers pulled out, some dumped on the floor, cabinets hanging in various arrays of openness. But other than that, nothing really untoward. His brother was not impressed to say the least. Did you guys know I'm one of the world's fastest packer/cleaners west of anywhere? Neither did I, but I'm pretty sure I set some kind of record. When we left, I was bringing up the rear, the guys carrying the last of the boxes down the stairs. I didn't see what happened, but I heard the brother exclaim, "Whoa! That was weird!" Once outside, door locked tight behind us, he said he felt himself misstep on the stairs but he also felt as if something suddenly steadied him. Imagination? Maybe. Or maybe Hank was looking out for us.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-07)
I lost a friend, too, Val. My first (and probably only) best friend. We were friends for ten years, since grade school. I know the feeling: suddenly losing someone.

Best regards.

Xoxo
Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-08)
I am sorry for the loss of your friend. You have really brought him to life in my mind. He sounds like he was a great person. I hope future owners never had bad things happen to them.
JustAnotherPerson (9 stories) (36 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-07)
Aww... Hank sounds like he was a really nice friend to have. If he really is around you, I'm glad he's helping you when you need it. 😊

Sometimes, when someone dies, their spirit can be attached to someone. Hank is looking out for you and that is good.:)
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-10-07)
sam,
I haven't felt Hank in a long time, but every now and then, when I find myself in a possibly bad situation I'll feel like someone much, much bigger than me is with me. Does that make any sense?
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-06)
Val, Hank sounded like a great friend and the vision of him palming your face sounds hilarious to me. When I read you felt guilty, I really felt for you. What happened wasn't your fault in the slightest. Hank needed a friend to confide in and you were the very person to help. That's what friends are for. Have you ever felt him again? ❤
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-31)
Just read both stories and have to say they will stick with me for a lifetime. Thanks so much for sharing them and I am ever so sorry for your loss.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-30)
ifi and notjust - This is true, somethings are just better left alone, or to one's self. I like to think, that even back then, IF they had brought it up, or asked me, I'd have the guts to tell them. But, to broach the subject myself? Obviously not.
Notjust - silly girl - in no way are you ever an intrusion.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-30)
Swims 😊 I almost missed your comment! Sorry about that. Thanks 😊
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-30)
I meant to say *old pain to stir up*...geez lol not stir up paint 😆 😆 😆
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-30)
Val - Sorry to intrude, but I also agree with ifi that it's been very long now and that it's probably better left unsaid. Even knowing so, nothing will change, and possibly avoid some old paint o stir up. Also, what if they want to go investigate, even though Hank can watch over them now, that wouldn't be so good of an idea. Just my 2 cents.
Respects to you ❤
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-30)
Personally Valk I feel some things are best left unsaid. I would have done the same.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-30)
Fergie, to be honest, I really debated with myself whether to tell his brother/family or not. The timing never seemed quite right to divulge such a thing. Plus we didn't hang out together. It would have been paramount to arranging a meeting with an acquaintance to tell them you believe their house is haunted. Back then, I simply wouldn't have the nerve. Not too sure I would now, unless asked 😆.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-30)
Gosh Val, I posted a comment to you a couple of days ago. I came to see if you had replied, but my comment was gone. Strange... Maybe I just forgot to press the post button.

Anyway, the gist of my post was: I don't blame you for your disinclination to go back to Hank's house. Not after your previous experience there. If it were me, I probably would have had to take a change of undies with. 😉

Did you ever let Hank's brother know the house was haunted, or any of your thoughts pertaining to the death?

To my mind, Hank was definitely hanging around to look out for you guys.

Thank you for another emotion evoking submission.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-29)
Wwwow Val, that was poetic. I agree with Rooks sumary. And it's good to hear another story about our loved ones looking out for us. Sounds like a great spirited guy. Thakyou for sharing this story.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-28)
nillix - A person should never be afraid in their own home. I see you have a story up, and I'm going to go read it now.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-28)
lady-glow and Morticia,
Thanks for reading and commenting. Sometimes I do wonder if maybe the bad guy is still around, or if Hank holds him in check. Or maybe they're both at peace now.
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-28)
val thank you for sharing this part. Hanks around you for sure and like others have said was there to make sure his brother didn't fall. Hugs 😊
nillix91 (1 stories) (12 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-27)
Val, I'm sorry for the loss of hank. I kind of feel for his story because I'm also a big man scared to death over a presence in my home. Lucky, I live in a one story home, but I fear that matters little. You shouldnt feel guilty, there was nothing you could have done. I'm sure you may have felt almost helpless in the whole situation, but maybe he really did just trip after being in a hurry to get the hell out of there.

Keep your chin up, never blame yourself because it seems Hank doesn't blame you either.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-27)
Wonderful stories, Val. Thanks for sharing them with us.
I hope that $%*& ghost hasn't hurt anyone else.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-27)
newhunter - I am SO sorry, I had somehow completely missed your comment until now. It really does make sense, that the second was a residual. Why wouldn't he 'appear' in the place most of us knew him from? Especially at a time when we were focused on him.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-27)
Red - I'm totally with you on that. Hank was very protective over family and friends. I can just see him telling the bad one, "Don't even think it."
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-27)
rook, you mean I can get a real pretty one? Can I even get one done with bling on it? If so I may reconsider wanting one! 😆
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-27)
val
I really do think that your friend was there. You all had his possessions and he wanted to make sure that the spirit that haunted
Him didn't attach itself to one single thing of his to torment his family. It could be his brother had "help" in is misstep and Hank steadied his brother.
As a side note I hope Hank gave his tormentor a good beat down after he died.
Respects
Red
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-26)
Val,

You mean you don't want to join our club? We Tyedie those big Ol jackets and wear them proudly.;)

Seriously though I am glad sharing this has helped you and thank you for allowing me to be a part of that.

Respectfully,

Rook
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-26)
Val I would have to agree with everyone here, I think Hank was trying to comfort you in the first incident that you wrote.

The second incident I'm not sure but Rook does put out a good theory on that one and it does seem feasible.

The 3rd holy cow that is just crazy that he almost fell down the stairs as well and I do believe that Hank held him up.

I know that the guilt is hard to be rid off but trust me from first hand experience it only makes it harder to deal with and more guilt until its an endless cycle. I lost a friend like a brother and I held on to guilt for years, even though I was guilting myself at least I remembered him. I finally let go and now I remember the good times not the bad ones like when I held onto the guilt.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-26)
elnora - ooops almost didn't see you there! True enough, and if Hank doesn't blame me, then I really should forgive myself. Thank you.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-26)
Rook,
I think that in a way, you all have given me some sort of closure over Hank. It helped to 'talk' about it openly, and not worry that I'd be getting measured for one of those lovely jackets with extra long sleeves that fasten in the back.
It also helped that someone like yourself asked questions that aided me in looking at it from 'just the facts' and not just from my gut. And all the verbal hugs went a long way to soothing a somewhat guilty conscious.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-26)
You know Valk he probably did do that and maybe that's why the other one didn't get hurt. 😊
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-26)
Tweed and selkay,
I'd be lying if I were to say, I don't still feel a bit of guilt. But past is past, and I can't change or alter it.
Thank you for reading and commenting.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-26)
ifi and notjust,
If it hadn't been for you two, I probably wouldn't have written this up. So thank you.
You know, in my head I like to think that afterward Hank took care of that bad thing. I imagine the bad one, looking at Hank's spirit and saying, "oh crap! I'm in trouble now." That would really be poetic justice.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: