You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Farewell From Dad

Real Ghost Stories

Farewell From Dad

 

Just a bit of background. My dad was a wonderful person. While growing up my dad worked in construction so was away from home on many occasions but when home, he always made time for his children. Dad and I were very close and I was considered the "apple of his eye".

My parents lived in Delmas and in early 2000 my dad became very ill and was mostly bedridden. As we lived in Vereeniging at the time it was quite a distance to travel so our visits took place on Sunday's (usually about once a month) when we could arrive early and spend the day with my parents.

During these Sunday visits I would spend many hours with my dad talking about anything and everything. His main concern was what would become of my mother after he died, so I made a promise that my siblings and I would ensure that mom was well taken care of.

Now, when I was very small, my dad lost his thumb in an accident. The doctors decided to amputate his index finger and use this to make a thumb but had to shorten it. Needless to say they messed up and cut the finger just above the knuckle which resulted in the thumb being a stump. This made my dad's hand very distinctive.

Late in June of 2001, I received a call from my younger sister telling me that my dad had taken a bad turn and was admitted to hospital. She also said that he did not recognize or respond to anyone.

On Sunday, 1 July 2001, my husband (ex-husband now) asked if I would like to go and see my dad and I said no. My daughter, 15 years old at the time (very wise young lady), kept telling me that I should go and see my father because "if you don't, mommy, you will regret it one day..." My answer was that I want to remember my dad the way he was and that my dad would understand...

Approximately 16h00 I received the call that my father had passed away. Now this was very emotional because I adored my father (still do) but needed to let my older sister know as she couldn't be reached by phone.

At approx. 21h00, emotionally exhausted, I went to bed. Unusually for me, I lay down on my back with my hands resting on my chest. I had just closed my eyes, (I was definitely not sleeping) when I felt someone squeeze my hand. My eyes flew open and I clearly saw my dad's hand on mine but when looking up there was no one there.

I immediately felt at peace and JUST KNEW that daddy did understand why I had not come to see him. He had forgiven me and had come to say goodbye.

I never saw my dad again but he is always in my heart and my thoughts and I miss him every day of my life. And, I know he is still around and guiding me. But, that is another story.

I told my mom and siblings about my experience and all of them believed me. Both my sisters said "You were always daddy's favorite so he needed to say goodbye..."

Thank you for reading this.

Blessings

Annie

Other hauntings by annie16

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, annie16, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

annie16 (13 stories) (53 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-31)
Thank you Tweed and Sheetal. Maybe I should just clear up the fact that I don't ask my dad about everything. I only ask about things that really pain me and I have no one I can turn to.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
Oh Annie this is such a moving story and I'm so happy that you've found a way to communicate with him that is very cool!

Thank you for sharing, your family sound like lovely people. 😊
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
I am very sorry for your loss annie... I can understand your decision why you didn't went to see your dad... But at last he came to visit you...

Beautiful story 😁
annie16 (13 stories) (53 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-07-30)
Thanks Manafon and Hecate. I read your story Hecate, so beautiful. I know dad is still with me every step of the way. Just shortly, I was in an abusive marriage for 25 years. Dad disliked my ex from day 1 and NEVER called him by name. 5 years after dads passing I was divorced and remarried to man that in little ways reminds me of my dad every single day. My life changed so drastically for the better and whenever I was in doubt I would ask my dad for help if the answer was yes I could smell him so clearly. If the answer was no, there was no smell. I still ask, and still get answers.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-29)
Annie, I am so sorry for your loss. I am even more glad he was able to let you know that the little things didn't matter. I still feel my dad near me when I am experiencing stressful times, and he has been gone more than 20 years. Still talk to him. He will let you know he is there. I wrote of my dad in my story, "He Still Helps Me."
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=21046

Thank you so much for sharing. The love attachments that keep our otherworldly energies close are so important to remember. Thanks for the positive!

Best to you. 😊

Hecate
Manafon (4 stories) (74 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-29)
What a subtle and moving farewell from your father. That your dad had such a distinct hand and the fact you sensed no fear, actually quite the opposite, really does suggest he had come to say farewell. Your dad obviously wanted you to know he understood why you didn't visit and to say "goodbye" until you meet again.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: