You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Blackberry And My Mom

Real Ghost Stories

My Blackberry And My Mom

 

I am encouraged to submit my second ghost story to YGS, since people have been very kind regarding my first submission titled, "Eldon House Shoes". This submission is not the same level of encounter by far and some may even discount it completely. I will let you decide on that. This took place in London, Ontario.

My mother died May 2007. I shared executorship of her estate. After her interment I was making arrangements for a headstone. I went to the cemetery to take a picture of my father's headstone, since I wanted one that was of the same style for my mother's grave. My father's gravesite was close to where my mother was buried. When I looked over to her grave I noticed that the tree over it was in flower. I took a picture of it as well.

To take the photos I used my, work supplied, Blackberry.

My teenage daughter was with me as I was taking her to her afternoon shift summer job a little later on. By the time I had finished my business at the cemetery it was well after lunch time. I said to her that we could have lunch anywhere she wanted to go. She chose McDonald's, as we never go there. I chose not to eat.

While she ate I was leaning close to the table across from her and my open over shirt pocket was hanging against the table. In that pocket was my Blackberry. My daughter announced to me, "Dad, your Blackberry is ringing". I said that it wasn't but she said no, she could feel it vibrating through the table. I took it out to show her that it was not ringing.

To my surprise, when I looked at it, the phone was no longer in English. It had changed languages to Dutch. I thought that perhaps I leaned on it and accidentally changed the language to Dutch. I then attempted to change it back.

I can't remember the exact steps but it was something like this. Maximize the panel, go to Tools, then Options, then Languages, and then scroll through until you find the language you want. Select the language. It then asks if you are sure and then you press Enter and then Save, and then back out of this, back to the main screen.

While it is remotely possible that I leaned on the phone repeatedly and scrolled to just the right options and then selected them with further leanings and gyrations it is extremely unlikely. Considering that my parents are Dutch, to scroll to just that language also defies the odds by a very, very long way.

When alive, my mother could barely program a VCR so I am not sure how she would have manipulated my Blackberry. I do, however, believe that she or my father had something to do with it.

Other hauntings by Kindly_refrain

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kindly_refrain, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-18)
Kindly_refrain ~ I got chills when I read that about your sister also getting communication via phones/electronics on important family dates, anniversaries.
L_Melb (220 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-17)
(Like an idiot when I read RedWolf's father in law "messes" with tablets I think "I wonder why a spirit would play around with your medication..." you know you're pre-internet era when!)
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-17)
Hi Zander, thank you for your comment. As far as electronics being messed with, my sister has had very strange calls with odd sounds on the line and difficult to discern voices. These have taken place only on particular important family dates of departed loved ones, like a birthday. She believes that they originate from "the other side". I am inclined to believe it also but... I just don't know.
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-17)
Hello RedWolf, since your comment I have read your many stories. Wow, you have had many experiences, especially with family. I am glad that you see the lighter side of having your electronics messed with. I have only this one experience in which a family member seems to make themselves known, however, my sister has quite a few dealing with, what seems to be, my departed parents making themselves known at her house.
Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-17)
Oh, yes ~ from the other side, they do seem to be able to affect electronics, lights, phones and the like. I've heard even of calls... Think about it, how do we 'jump start' a heart, bring a body back to life...electricity...
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-11)
Kindly_refrain

I read your story and had a chuckle. My father in-law died in the early 90s and has been hanging around since when we moved he came with us. He likes messing with my tablets. I have tried to write this post on my other tablet at least 8 times. He has switched it to other stories, one that was over 2 years old.

He's a prankster too. The most recent was a couple of months ago. My mother in-law (86) came over with a credit card with the chip in it along with a self explanatory letter. She wanted my husband to explain it to her but she knew he wouldn't be home for at least an hour so I explained it for her. She waited for my husband because she never believes me unless she hears it from another source. For example:I'm a lifelong dog owner and anything I say about dogs she doesn't believe. Then a couple of days or weeks later her friend who's had dogs a lot less time than me will tell her the EXACT same thing and the next time she comes over she'll say did you know? Then tells me exactly what I told her. I tell her yeah I said that awhile back. Anyway back to the credit card. When my husband came home he told her the some thing I did. My son said grandma why don't you ever believe mom? As she was getting ready to leave she put the credit card and letter in her pants pocket but as she was walking out the door she couldn't find any of it. We started looking for it I looked where she sat and her path to the kitchen where she realized she lost it. Then I sat down and chuckled I knew my father in-law took it. My husband was looking on the living room desk and my mother in-law started going through a stack of papers on the table. I asked her how it would get in there. I told them to stop and said dad put it back. My husband went into the kitchen to get a drink and lying on the floor right where was standing was the credit card and letter, they had looked there before but it hadn't been there when they looked. 😆 I wonder if my father in-law is the one who puts nails where she'll run them over because she always seems to get a flat whenever she's mad at me. I know I don't do it. 😆
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-30)
Kindly Refrain, Thank you for sharing your experience. It does take a couple of screens and scrolls to change the language so you would have had to do a lot of skilled table leaning. It is true most of the elder generation are not tech savvy but I believe once they have passed on its easy for them to manipulate electronics 😊 I believe your parents were letting you know they were there.
Zeromaru (guest)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-29)
That is very interesting.
It reminded me that once my phone became "Chinese" and it was an error 😜
Kindly_refrain (16 stories) (195 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-03-24)
Hello Jess69, of moet ik geode dag zegen? It certainly is strange that your Dutch improved after your father's passing. Mine improved after my daughter went to grade 10 in the Netherlands a few years ago. She corrects my grammar often. I do understand quite a bit of Afrikaans as it has, of course, its roots in the Dutch language. I am curious what subtle things have happened in your circumstance. Please post them.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-03-24)
I once butt-dialed a friend in Canada, with my flip phone closed and tucked in my back pocket.

Having never seen a Blackberry, can't give you odds on it, but it seems unlikely to have happened randomly.
Jess69 (1 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-03-24)
Hi Kindly refrain

My father was also dutch and since his passing a few years ago I can relate to your experience, whereby subtle and yet significant occurrences have taken place which are not fully explainable. I also own a blackberry which I have used for a few years (but not any more, better technology out there) however I must comment changing languages is not something that happens on those phones. I want to comment on something strange though concerning this topic of language, since my father passed away I am able to converse much more fluently in dutch than before. Even though I speak Afrikaans fluently, the Dutch thing is weird to me.
Thanks for the story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: