You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Cousin's Doppelganger

Real Ghost Stories

My Cousin's Doppelganger

 

Some years ago when I was roughly 9 or 10 years old (I'm 28 now), my family and I were visiting relatives for Thanksgiving at their home about 2 hours from where we lived. We had been to their house many times in the past and I never had any sort of paranormal experiences before. There were quite a few relatives staying at their house that weekend so my cousin, who is 2 years older than me, and myself were staying in an extra bedroom in the basement that had a couple of beds in it.

We went to sleep and I woke up at some time in the middle of the night for no reason at all. I sat up and was looking around the room and I noticed a small amount of green light coming into the bedroom from under the closet door across the room. I hadn't noticed any light there before when we were going to bed but it didn't really concern me much at the time. I rolled back over and tried to go back to sleep.

After a few minutes of trying to fall asleep I suddenly got a feeling that someone was watching me or that someone was standing close by. I rolled onto my back and opened my eyes and saw a figure standing over me. At first I just saw a shape but as my eyes adjusted to the darkness I realized it look exactly like my cousin. It sort of annoyed me so I asked him what he wanted. But he didn't say anything or even move, just continued to stand there and stare at me with a blank expression. At that point I got very angry and yelled at him "what do you want!?" and attempted to push him away from me. But my hands passed straight through him. At the same time I heard my cousin grunt and move in his bed across the room so I looked over and saw him still in bed! I looked back to where the figure was standing and it was gone.

Some people say they can feel the presence and feel like the spirit is sad, angry, etc... But I didn't feel any of that, the only thing I felt was terror. I honestly don't know if it wanted to hurt me or anything like that. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep the rest of the night.

When morning came I told my cousin about it and he said he has seen and heard strange things in the house before but nothing like that. I told my aunt and uncle about what I saw the next morning and they didn't really say anything. They just basically shrugged it off. But what was strange is they didn't say that I was imagining things or anything either. They just changed the subject and pretended I didn't say anything.

About a year later my aunt and uncle moved to a different town and that house was demolished. In the years since then my cousin has told me about many paranormal encounters he has had and it makes me wonder if there is some kind of spirit that is attached to him.

If anyone has any input on this please let me know. It has been bothering me for a long time and any ideas would be appreciated!

Other hauntings by Thor220

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Dakota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Thor220, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Thor220 (4 stories) (15 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-19)
Thanks Daz! I honestly never never made the connection before that he did in fact grunt at the same exact time I attempted to push him away. It does begin to make more sense for me now. I appreciate the input! 😊
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-19)
It's interesting to note the part in your story where you said," my cousin grunted at the same time as you pushed your hand through what appeared to be his astral body", I have experienced something similar without going into detail and I don't think the timing of his grunt was coincidental as like the details in my own account were? I do suspect the astral body is still connected to the physical body just like intangible particles are when they separate them via experiments at a distance but yet somehow defying Newtonian logic, they act like they are still connected as one... Perhaps in a sense, your cousins mind (consciousness) was experiencing some sort of duality of motion which made him flinch in the flesh as you pushed your hand out toward his astral body? Which makes me agree with the others here, what you'd witnessed, was most likely your cousin sleep walking out of body.

Regards Daz
xyooj (2 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-16)
This is CREEPY! I read this at work and it gave me the chills. I believe in spirits and that we all live amongst one another (living and dead), but we are in different realms.

Bc your cousin grunted right at the same time as you pushed the entity off of you, I think it could have been an "out of body" experience your cousin was having,
BUT
I personally think that if things continued to happen and it followed them to their new house, then that "thing" very well could have attached itself to your cousin, esp if maybe he "ignores" it and doesn't let it bother him, I think the entity is more likely to stay around and hang out.

CREEPY part to me is that... It LOOKED LIKE your cousin X_X

That makes me think, this "thing" must have been around and doing things already, and it was mimicking your cousin so YOU wouldn't be scared of it! AND that's why when you told your family they just ignored you, bc they know SOMETHING isn't right and just don't want to admit/face it bc it's against their beliefs.

My mom has always told us to stay strong spiritually because WE are the living and THEY are the dead, and we must stay strong hearted and strong willed, otherwise the "things" around us tend to prey on weaker souls. I totally agree.
Thor220 (4 stories) (15 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-15)
Hey Jessicqqqq, thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess I've never heard of that and I will have to look into it. 😊
Thor220 (4 stories) (15 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-15)
Hi DandK, he has had a number of "paranormal" experiences. He always said he felt uneasy in that house and sometimes would see what he describes as shadow figures. Usually at night standing at the foot of his bed. When they moved he still had those experiences for a couple years and then they stopped. He hasn't had any experiences for many years now. My aunt and uncle as well as my cousin are all very religous people so they really don't talk about the paranormal.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-13)
Thanks for the green description Thor. That's the same kind of green I experienced, weird and interesting. 😕
About your cousin encounter, there's actually a lot of submissions on here describing the same thing. Happens quite a bit and freaks most people out, understandably, but it's nothing to fret.
Jessicqqqq (5 stories) (56 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-13)
Out of body meaning astral projecting. I do it a lot. I go to different dimensions often and see the most amazing things. But anyway, if your cousin has a lot of things happen to him even after moving he probably is being followed. It could've been him or could've been something else pretending to be him (usually not good.)
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-12)
Thor, is it possible to give a rough idea of the type of paranormal experiences your cousin has had? Is there a common thread that might suggest linkage to your cousin?

Your experience is rather frightening. I wish it were possible to get more info out of your aunt and uncle.
Thor220 (4 stories) (15 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-12)
Hi Tweed. Thanks for the input. Not sure what you mean by accidental out of body experience. Just don't know much about this stuff so I don't know what your referring to, haha. And also the shade of green was a very bright, almost neon green color. I wouldn't say I had any specific feeling when I saw the green color but I was just kind of zoned in on it and kept staring at it.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-12)
Hi Thor,

Don't worry about your cousin, sounds like he had an accidental out of body moment which you woke up to. No doppelganger in my opinion, and even if it was that's nothing to worry about either.

Totally selfish question here. Could you please describe the exact colour and shade of the green? Any feeling associated with this green?
Had some green nonsense growing up, since taken an interest in it.

A pertinent quote from you:
"I told my aunt and uncle about what I saw the next morning and they didn't really say anything. They just basically shrugged it off. But what was strange is they didn't say that I was imagining things or anything either. They just changed the subject and pretended I didn't say anything."

BUNCH OF IDIOTS!

It's funny 'cause it's true.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: