You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Near Fatal Encounter

Real Ghost Stories

A Near Fatal Encounter

 

This experience was similar to the entry of my experienced that I've posted, "The Frightening Unknown". When I was still going to graveyards at random times just because I felt like I needed to.

All throughout work, I had been thinking about going back to these graveyards I had recently and accidentally passed by on the way to a friends house on the other side of town. I found out later on that these graveyards were near a pre-school. The very same one that I had attended as a student when I was a mere toddler. They're called The Municipal Cemetery. Two rather large graveyards across the street from each other. One graveyard had a bunch of trees and the other was treeless. Since I had experienced the most terrifying and traumatizing experience of my life late at night in the cemetery that was treeless, I thought I'd go and visit the one full of trees after work. I figured it would be a good opportunity to capture some nice pictures during sunset, around the time I was scheduled to get off of work.

I had a feeling that I was meant to be shown something beautiful there. I remember how great the feeling felt. The anxiousness and excitement for wanting to be done with my shift so that I could go straight there.

Little did I know, it was all a part of the strange urges that I had been getting...

I parked my car in an empty lot next to the cemetery full of trees. I bundled up with the biggest jacket that I owned because it was such a cold day. I'm talking 15c cold weather. It was the coldest day for the city for that entire year... And I wanted to go and venture through a graveyard. It sounds strange always talking about it. You would think it would be common sense to stay as warm as possible. To limit yourself in freezing weather like that right? Well... This is how I knew it was another one of those weird urges. The feeling of "I have to go there as soon as possible." I didn't know it while I was in the situation. I didn't even think about it. I just went.

I walked inside of the gate and started venturing around the grave site, as if I were looking for someone. I remember just - Feeling like I had to look for someone there. Like I was looking for someone I knew that had passed away. No one that I knew, was buried in that cemetery. I knew for a fact. Yet, I continued searching aimlessly throughout this large cemetery. I had originally came for pictures but, the sun had already set. There was no more inkling of sunlight. Just a darkening sky. Granted I still COULD have taken pictures but, I like taking pictures of the suns rays. It's what I'm best at and it's what I love about nature pictures.

There was one grave in particular that for some reason, caught my attention. The only problem is, this one grave was on the OTHER side of the graveyard. It looked like all the others but, I had caught myself taking a glance at that very same one as I walked throughout the site, looking at other graves. Of course I wander on over to it. At this time, I had been there for a total of 2 hours guys. In 15c weather. I still never took this into consideration like a NORMAL human being would have.

Once I got to this mysterious grave, I thoroughly went through every detail about it. The persons name was Michael. For respect of the deceased, I do not wish to give out his last name. He was born in May of 1982 and he died January 7th of 2006. He was 24 years old when he passed. I also realized that he passed on his birthday...

There was a picture of him on his stone that looked like it was taken only a few years before his death. A caucasian male who was wearing the nicest black sweater I had ever seen. I didn't know what he was wearing below his torso for the picture ended just below his chest. He had nice slicked back dark brown hair with gentle black eyes and a kind smile. From the way he was, you could tell he was sitting down with his hands placed on his lap. His body was facing slightly to the side but, his head was turned towards the camera. My guess was that it was some sort of professional photo shoot. He had the right looks for one anyway. I remember feeling a sense sorrow because I had wished to have had the chance to have met him. Thinking if only fate had us cross paths just once. I felt like we would have gotten along well. Almost as if I actually SHOULD have met him but, I was too late.

It was a very odd feeling...

I stood there for a good 30 minutes in deep thought about this one man. About how I might have met him by chance only if this and only if that. Life works in such mysterious ways. Eventually shaking the feeling, I continued my cold walk through the site. This is where it gets kind of strange but, bare with me.

There was this shed-sized concrete building. It had pictures of Jesus Christ on all sides. It stood a few feet higher than me. I was thinking that it was a rather large mausoleum that had an above ground casket sealed on the inside of it. I decided to lay myself against this structure because I grew suddenly tired. Exhausted. Plus I wanted some cover from the freezing wind that made it feel like it was below 0. I sat down and brought my knees up to my chest and hugged them and stayed in this position for almost an hour... An HOUR. I never knew why I did it. Part of me thinks that it wasn't only to get away from the wind...

I was so cold that I could hardly feel my hands, legs, face, and feet. I wasn't even sure if my lips were still there anymore. I never took into consideration that I could possibly die there. I wasn't aware that I was in danger. Why? I couldn't tell. I wasn't scared or anything. I was just...cold. I was cold and yet didn't find a reason to move from that same spot. I eventually just wanted to sleep for some reason. I remember getting so tired. I didn't care about the cold. I just wanted to sleep...

As soon as I started drifting in and out, I noticed a faint figure out of the corner of my eye. I spotted movement but, didn't feel the need to move my head but, I eventually forced myself to move a bit. It was a man. He was about two rows ahead of me, walking his orange mongoose brand bike. He was focused on looking straight ahead. I don't think he even knew I was there.

Something puzzled me about him though. About his attire. He was wearing dark blue sneakers and... Tan shorts. I was utterly confused about why on earth someone would wear shorts in this weather. I remember feeling concerned for the man and wanting to call out to him to tell him that it was freezing outside if he truly didn't notice. I remember wanting to give him my own pants. I was so concerned for him...then, everything came back to me. Like my brain went into overdrive all at once. I felt a sudden fright course throughout my body as I studied the man walking his bike.

A caucasian male wearing the nicest black sweater I had ever seen. Dark brown hair that was slicked back. He was too far away for me to see the color of his eyes so that I could make the final confirmation but, it didn't take a rocket scientists to know that I was watching the very same man I had saw on the picture of that gravestone. It was Michael.

My mind was in shock. If it was a nice sunny day and I could move, I wouldn't have been able to because I was so afraid and in such disbelief. Just as when I was about to call his name if I could, I was stricken with even more fear when I noticed that he was actually...smiling. He was smiling that same kind smile I saw in the picture!

As soon as I felt like I was about to let out a scream, he vanished behind a tree and didn't come out the other side of it...

I stood up quickly, and it felt like I was struck by lightning throughout my entire body. I had to get out of there but, the lot where my car was was so far away from where I was. I still had to walk across the entire site to get to it. I almost felt as if I should have just given up but, I remembering starting to cry as I thought about everyone who loved me. Everyone I've ever came into contact with. All of the amazing memories of the people I care about would die with me had I given up then and there and succumbed to the cold (sorry for the cheese but, this is an important part) for me.

It was the longest walk of my life. I was terrified the entire way to the lot of course as well as freezing cold. At the beginning of my walk, I debated whether I wanted to make a quick trip over to that tree that Michael disappeared behind to see if maybe it was just part of my weird mind playing tricks on me but, I was too afraid so I didn't look back.

I never struggled so hard in my life to open a car door handle. My hand was cramped and frozen it felt like. Once I did stumble in my cold vehicle, it took me 10 minutes to start the ignition and turn on my heater.

I woke up around midnight. I was sweating in places that guys shouldn't sweat. I was no longer cold but, had a massive headache. I had laid my seat back while the heater was on and fell asleep like that. I was asleep for approximately 3 and a half hours. With my car running. With the heater on full blast. Thank goodness my door was locked.

I called Lorie, my psychic, as soon as I arrived at home. I told her everything and of course I got a pretty decent lecture and scolding out of it. I never argue with her on it once she starts. She reminds me of just a very concerned mother about her child. So, I just apologize as much as possible.

When I told her everything, she didn't hesitate to tell me that I did in fact see Michael. She threw in the possibility that I was going through hypothermia, which terrified me when I heard it. Was my body really losing so much heat faster than it was able to produce it? Could it be possible that I really could have died that day? Going in depth about it even now still scares me a bit.

Here was Lorie's honest thought on the whole situation:

She thinks the "urge" I had was one from an evil spirit who actually may have been trying to lead me to my death. I had asked her then why I thought I had the urge to also look for a specific gravestone when I got there.

This is about to get complicated but, bare with me.

She thinks that Michael had sensed that I was in possible danger and started to call on me. She beautifully described it as pulling on my soul strings because that was the best and only way to get my attention at the time. Which I guess kind of explained why I just suddenly kept wanting to go towards HIS grave out of all of the rest of them. Plus his was pretty far from where I was looking (happy chills).

I was still confused on HOW he planned on protecting me and Lorie said that he already had a plan as soon as he felt my presence in the graveyard. He made sure I went over to his grave. He knew I would analyze the picture. It was possible that he knew that this evil spirit originally planned on having me sit and eventually freeze myself to death. Yet, what would be the chances of someone showing up throughout the night and saving me? My honest guess is slim to none, which is why Michael decided to take the matter into his own hands.

When I sat down, waiting for hypothermia to set in, as planned, maybe my mind was slowly shutting down because of the cold and Michael used that opportunity to show himself? He wasn't wearing any pants, but only shorts, maybe to help me realize that he wasn't normal. He used that same picture to his advantage to make sure that I knew what I was looking at, which was indeed a dead person. I'm assuming, had I not looked at his picture, I would have still just sat there doing nothing at all. He made me realize that he was literally the walking dead, suddenly throwing my body into the "flight stage", forcing me to panic and get as far away from him as humanly possible. Which is exactly what I did.

So, to conclude what Lorie and I summed up, Michael was my savior that day. As weird as it sounds. Is it crazy to say that my life was honestly spared with the help of the paranormal? The good paranormal I mean.

Lorie's thoughts on Michael is that is energy was strong. He might have always had a strong willed soul. Maybe I wasn't wrong when I said that he was a good man. Maybe I was really destined to cross paths some day whether in be here or the afterlife? Who knows. I'll always wonder.

Anyway, that's the end of this story. I would like to hear from the readers! Any thoughts, comments, concerns, and questions are much appreciated. Thank you for reading!:)

Other hauntings by Gh0stHunter

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Gh0stHunter, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Gh0stHunter (10 stories) (71 posts)
-2
6 years ago (2018-03-22)
Macknorton

All I've done is mess with things that I'm not supposed to. I haven't posted my story on it yet but, things like THIS started happening soon after my experience with the Ouija Board. You can choose to believe it or not that's fine lol.

As for the whole "Gee I'm cold" concept. Ever since I've played with that Board, I wasn't particularly myself. Most of my thoughts weren't mine. In the moment, I didn't have any thought to get back in my car. I had no car is what it seemed like.

But yes, not knowing about the Ouija experiment that I attempted in my past, I can see exactly why one would think that it's all "fiction" lol.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-01-12)
Ghostwriter...er Hunter, sorry!
Let me get this straight...
This is the general premise of your story:
An evil spirit just randomly decides to try and freeze you to death in a graveyard for no apparent reason, and you are saved by another completely random spirit that has absolutely no connection to you in any way, of whose grave you happened to be "allowed" to view before your imminent murder, and a grave that just happened to have a picture of the deceased so that you could conveniently recognise him when he decided to "save" you?

I'm no expert on evil spirits deciding to randomly kill people but surely trying to convince you to slowly contract hypothermia is possibly the most ridiculous and convoluted method imaginable.
Surely a quick shove from behind onto a rail way line or into traffic would be far more efficient / effective way?
Getting back to this apparent murder attempt: why wouldn't you just think "Gee I'm really cold" and get back in your car?
Many people falsely believe (thanks to Hollywood) that malevolent spirits can just "pop" into people's bodies and get them to do all sorts of crazy things under the vague notion of spiritual possession. I believe that under some circumstances when an individual is physically and mentally vulnerable due to mental illness or particularly drug use, negative entities can affect them to a degree. But this "affection" takes a long time and the individual is increasingly worn down. This was not the case with you in this story. You weren't possessed or had been under a prolonged psychos assault from a low level entity.

You would know if you were being targeted and haunted as the activity would increase as your fear grew and your health suffered, and particularly your loved ones and friends would know probably long before you did.

And just say, for the sake of argument, that this random good spirit decided to "save" you, he would not have allowed you to go to the cemetery in the first place.

This submission reminds me a lot of when someone thinks God saved them when they are the only survivor of a plane crash. If that's the case then God wouldn't let the plane crash in the first place, would He/She?

In my opinion your story is just that, a story. It reads like a sychrine Readers Digest "guardian Angel" type of fiction and has deeply flawed logic on many levels.

You will no doubt feel perhaps persecuted or offended by my bluntness but this site is for people to share their genuine spirit encounters and is not a platform for people to practice their fiction-writing skills.

You have welcomed others opinions and I have freely offered mine.

Regards
Mack
Gh0stHunter (10 stories) (71 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-05)
Rex-T

Wow. If that really is the case, then I was truly blessed that day! Sadly, I do not have that same vehicle anymore. I have a better car now lol thank goodness.

That is interesting! Meant to be read by all. It is pretty beautiful when you really start to think about it isn't it? (:
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-05)
Gh0stHunter,

Hey, I'm no mechanic either but when you put the facts together, this is one possibility. I believe newer cars are now built to ensure this will not happen but if you're still driving the same car' it wouldn't hurt to get it checked at your next service.

A bit like lady-glow, my favorite aunty would stop at old cemeteries on the way to her holiday destination. She was armed with a note pad and pen, which she would write down any information on grave stones. She admitted this to me once and told me how the town's history would come alive from the dates and stories on the head stones.

Her theory was that it wasn't ghoulish doing this, as the stories on the stones were meant to be read by all.

Of course, she only did this in the daytime and any spirit would realize what a beautiful and caring person she is.

Rex-T
Gh0stHunter (10 stories) (71 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-04)
Rex-T

I do appreciate this. As much as I would want to not believe it, even Lorie said the same thing about me almost going into a coma after starting the stages of hypothermia and possibly losing my life there.

I found it incredible indeed also. Very surprising but, I'm thankful I made it okay for sure.

I haven't had my heater checked but, that's an interesting theory you have there. Is it really possible that I could have died in my car as well?

I'm very glad that I gave it all up as well. Nothing good ever really comes out of all of it in the end and I'm glad I realized that before it was too late.

I do appreciate your comments and concerns, thank you (:
Gh0stHunter (10 stories) (71 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-04)
rookdygin

This experience happened after my entry "The Frightening Unknown". No the urge had a distinctive separation from my desire for pictures. When I got there, I couldn't take pictures anyway because the sun was no longer visible. Yet, instead of turning and going home as I usually would, I was being pulled by the urge to venture through the graveyard even in dangerous temperatures, which was unlike my being to do WILLINGLY.

My psychic still does believe that malevolent spirits did have an attraction towards my energy and purity and wanted these things for themselves. Some were willing to go as far as needed in attempt to get what they want. I do in my heart believe Michael was my savior that day. I remember trying to search for his family on social media so that I could visit and tell them all about what a saving grace their family member was to me, even if they thought I was crazy but, I could never find them.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-04)
Did this happen, BEFORE your submission "The Frightening Unknown", or did it happen later?

It does sound as if 'Michael' may have 'saved' your life... But are you sure your urge to visit this cemetery was prompted by a 'spirit/entity'? Or did you just follow your 'desire' to take pictures in this location and got so 'caught up' you did not realize how much time had passed?

If, IF, If a 'malevolent' spirit was involved perhaps it picked a grave marker ('Michael's') so far away from the parking area 'by choice' and 'Michael' felt your 'distress' and returned just to help you.

Respectfully,

Rook
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-04)
Gh0stHunter

I think you were very lucky that whatever happened at the mausoleum spurred you into action.

I'm no doctor but I was a trained lifesaver and I suspect that at the mausoleum you were exhibiting early stages of hypothermia and (as you stated) your mind was in shut down mode, leading to coma.

The incredible thing is that you appeared to stumble from the pan and into the fire.

Your car shut up tight, engine running, heater at max, you sleep for a long time and wake up with a headache? Ever had your car's heater checked for leaks of carbon monoxide?

I've got this feeling that you somehow escaped a Near Fatal Encounter twice.

I'm glad you've given up the ghost hunting.

Rex-T
Gh0stHunter (10 stories) (71 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-03)
lady-glow

I find it fascinating as well. Large number of graves with the same last name. Makes me wonder about the family tree.

That's tragic! Poor woman gave her own life trying to give more but ending up losing them all? Horrible. Poor thing):

I indeed have had the urge to go during the day a couple of times. When I did, I would take pictures in between the trees and things. Nature pictures. There has been a couple of times however, that I believe to have come in contact into a few spirits.

From personal experience, I do believe that I am more sensitive and effective at night. Though I have a friend who is more sensitive during the day. She's had more luck than I did coming into contact with spirits during the day but, I had to stop taking her during my night investigations because my physic believed she was a type of repellent to the 'night monsters' as she put it. Not a bad thing. If anything it was more of a good thing but, I was hardly getting results anymore. So, I had to substitute her with my best friend, according to her energy. As weird as that sounds lol
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-03)
What a terrible time for that family to have lost both their sons within a five months span!

I find it fascinating trying to imagine the history behind groups of graves, one day during a relative's funeral there're these five graves together, belonging to a family that passed away in the same day, my guess is in a car accident.

One time walking with my family through a trail in a mountain, we came across an old pioneer's cemetery and took a break reading the tombstones, there were three or four graves containing the remains of women and babies whom died in the same day, I suppose during childbirth.

Still, I prefer going to cemeteries during visiting hours! 😆

Do you ever feel 'the urge' calling you during the day? Do you think the outcome of your investigations would be different if you were there during daylight?
I was born into a family of sensitives, though men seem to be favored by 'the gift' and, according to their experience, spirits in cemeteries are active at any given time or, at least, if a spirit wants to make contact with them, it will do it regardless of the time of the day.
Gh0stHunter (10 stories) (71 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-02)
alshaad

Always nice to get someone who can relate to my experience! Especially with the 'urges'. They are very pulling and hard to understand so, it's always nice to get someone who can relate.

I did try and do research that day but, I've only found his Facebook account and no one had posted on his wall for awhile. It was pretty much disconnected. Sadly, that's as far as researching him went.

I did however, go back and visit later on that month and gave my condolences with a friend.

Thank you for commenting (:
Gh0stHunter (10 stories) (71 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-02)
Jubeele

I appreciate it! You both are very kind. Lorie believes that I did draw an attraction to such entities also. Because I was pure and innocent.

I agree completely. Risky entertainment indeed!

I'm glad my story peaked your interests! I always try and get my readers to feel what I felt that night. Or as close as I can anyway. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thank you!

Always nice to hear from you (:
alshaad (7 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-02)
Hi!I do sincerely believe in your story. I know the urge and strong feeling to go to an unknown place and I can undertsand. I suggest that maybe you could research on him more maybe it would explain more or just simply let some flowers on his tomb...
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-02)
Hi Gh0stHunter, I agree with Emma about personal shielding. You seem to be a magnet for such encounters and not all of them are benign. I'm glad that you got yourself cleansed and the priest was able to help you.

I grew up in Singapore with spirts around the home (the place was built over a Chinese cemetary) and at my Grandma's house. So I've never felt the need to go "ghost hunting" because I knew they were always somewhere around. It can be a risky entertainment for sensitive people, as you've obviously found out. My family taught us to be always respectful but wary where the spriits are concerned.

This was a spinechilling read. I had my fingers and toes crossed for you. SO glad you made it through. ❤
Gh0stHunter (10 stories) (71 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-02)
lady-glow

No, they weren't buried next to each other. His brother's name was "Damien". You would assume they WOULD have been buried next to each other but, my assumption is that his brother was cremated. The only picture that was there was Michael himself. The owner of the tombstone.

No again. I intentionally left out his brother's full information for the fact that he was not a main part of the story. It was his brother Michael. Clearly because of the events that have happened. So, no. As much as I do "skim", again, I intentionally left that part out.
Gh0stHunter (10 stories) (71 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-02)
EmmalineTexas

I won't deny it. I don't think I did have any protection either. I never asked for it. I've never protected myself during any of my hunts. I was young and dumb and wanted results, without really caring for the consequences.

I like that. A beacon. That's exactly what I thought about myself after being pulled around so often.

You're very sweet. After my days of ghost hunting, I was suggested to a cleansing, which I did. I was saged and later on, protected with the help of a priest. After that, I vowed to give up all hunts for the better of myself.

Thank you (:
EmmalineTexas (10 stories) (163 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-02)
Gh0sthunter - It sounds very much like you are sensitive and being pulled in directions that may not be good for you. It bothers me that you don't seem to have any protection. Which leaves you a big beacon that can be easily seen and messed with. I'm sure that Biblio understands when I saw that energy is very seeable to entities. It even shows your mental state, physical well-being and how you are emotionally at the time. Would you mind if I ask that you become shielded? It's just something that I would like to do to help with your permission.

Thanks,
Emma
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-01-02)
So... Do you mean there were TWO people buried in the same grave? If that's the case, how come there's no mention in your narrative about two sets of birth/death dates written on the headstone? Was there a picture of the brother too? What was his name?

Ohhh... I know... You "have a tendency of publishing after doing a quick skim and missed it".

Just my opinion and no offence intended but, though your stories are entertaining and interesting, some facts are hard to follow under all that verborrhea. = (
Gh0stHunter (10 stories) (71 posts)
-2
6 years ago (2018-01-01)
Myst

Yes I was aware. I have a tendency of publishing after doing a quick skim and missed it. When I read it when it came through the email, that's when I caught it but, it was too late to do anything about it. Anyway, it was his BROTHER who had died on his birthday is what I meant to put. It said he only had one sibling on his tombstone.

Lady-glow

I realize that. Lol.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-01)
Myst - good catch!

Ghosthunter, you got on the sloppy side writing this one.
Myst (63 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-01-01)
"He was born in May of 1982 and he died January 7th of 2006. He was 24 years old when he passed. I also realized that he passed on his birthday..." No, he didn't.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: