You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Man In The Shower

Real Ghost Stories

Man In The Shower

 

Just typing the title sends terror chills up my spine. This experience happened in my younger years. I think I was around 8 years old and my sister was 4 at the time. I'm 22 now and I STILL get goosebumps when I remember this childhood trauma...

My sister and I were awake on the weekend watching cartoons in the living room. It was an episode of Spongebob. Our parents were asleep since they had to work tomorrow. It was late at night. I believe around 1am or 2am I'm not too sure. My sister and I would try and stay up for as long as we could on the weekends. Just a couple of little innocent kids enjoying our weekend from school.

My sister and I were in that stage where if one of us were too scared to sleep in our own beds, we would sneak past our parent's room and sleep in the other's room. My mom hated it. I was always afraid of the dark. We were the type of siblings that did everything together. When one had to use the restroom in the middle of the night, the other would stand outside the door in the dark to be the 'lookout'. Covered our faces if we got scared in bed. Typical kid stuff.

So, that being out of the way, my sister wanted to use the restroom before bed. One of our favorite things to do as kids... Piggy back rides in the dark. I don't know why. Kid stuff. I would always give her piggy back rides in pitch black darkness. She would always hold her hands out in front of my face so that I wouldn't run into anything. We were the ultimate team together.

This specific night, I turned off the television and had her hop on my back and we made our way in the dark to the restroom. As kids, our eyes adjusted to the darkness fairly easily. We could make out the shadows of objects. There were still times where the dark got the best of me and I would still run into things but, only rarely. Once we made it to the restroom, I froze. I was terrified. Not me or my sister could move.

As I stood in the doorway of the restroom, there was a figure of a man. It was only a shadow. He was at the far end of the shower. He was sticking his head and torso out with his arm fully extended outwards towards the wall across from the shower. The shadow was doing this repeatedly. Keeping the same exact position. Going behind the shower curtain, and coming back out, back in, out.

I was too afraid to turn on the light. I was afraid of what this man REALLY looked like. I remember imagining a bloody faced naked man in our bathroom so, I didn't dare turn on that light. I knew my sister could see it too. She whispered,

"You see it too right?"

She sounded like she was about to cry. I remember almost crying myself. This thing just kept doing whatever it was doing for as long as we stared at it. The longer it did it, the more freaked out we got. We didn't know what to do. We were afraid.

Just when we couldn't take it anymore, I stepped out of the doorway and started shouting for my mother without taking my eyes off of it. My sister did the same. She always had a specific screech that always sent my mother running in her direction within seconds but, this time, she was taking longer...

The moment we started shouting, the person stopped what he was doing and stayed retreated inside the shower. This sent me and my sister into sheer panic. I remember screaming and screaming for my mother. For once, I screamed over my sister. My mom tumbled her way through the dark towards us and held us both in her arms frantically asking us what was going on and of course we were trying to tell her that there was a man in the shower.

She turned on the bathroom light and swiped the shower curtain open and of course, the man wasn't there.

My mom never believed in ghosts. She still doesn't. To this day, if my sister or me would bring up that time, she would only tell us what she told us that day... That our eyes were messing with us. My dad says the same.

I think my sister was the most traumatized that day. Being as young as she was. She's 18 now and she won't talk about it if I bring it up. She will only say that she remembers it if I ask and that's it.

To this day, I still get scared when I just think about the shadow of the man that we saw in the dark. I feel the same fear that I felt that day. I am a 22 year old man and I still can't stand picturing him. So, as you can see, this brings back great fears but, I knew I was going to get to it eventually. This was the very first paranormal experience ever and as many scary and freaky hunts that I have been on, none of them compare to that man in our shower that day as a child.

Other hauntings by Gh0stHunter

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Gh0stHunter, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Gh0stHunter (10 stories) (71 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-22)
Yes, it could have been a horrible crude part of our child minds. Just the only weird thing that i'll never be able to shake is that we BOTH saw this shadow man. To this day it still freaks me out just having to think about it lol
Amor (5 stories) (64 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-10)
Hi Ghosthunter,

Did the shadow appear like it was struggling, trying to reach for something to save its life? Like it's stuck or something? There are cases of people expiring in the bathroom, which is really sad. My granny once got stuck but we were nearby to rescue her. She's okay now.

I understand you stayin' late watching stuff. I got a 24 year-old niece and when they were younger, I could hear the annoying Spongebob theme song playing late at night as they binge watch cartoon while their mom's deep in slumber. They did not see any ghost though 😂

Also when we were younger, during summer vacations, we would play computer games until morning when our mom's asleep. Yep. I think our generation in the family pretty much prefers staying up really late until the dawn breaks.
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-11)
I think that this is actually the most heartfelt of all your experiences so far. Whether or not there was anything to the shadow man, you and your sister obviously believed that you saw him.

But I agree that both of you, particularly at such a young age, should have been safely in bed well before that hour. So did you watch Spongebob on video or TV? I can never figure out why that cartoon is so popular with young children. Give me Astro Boy, Atom Ant or Yogi Bear anytime (this definitely dates me).

Do you or your parents still live in that house? Have you looked into the history of the place? Did anyone in your family or close to you pass away around that time? Finding some answers might help allay even the greatest fears. 🤔
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-10)
I will not scold you for spending time with your four year old sister, but question the hour of entertainment.

As you said you did bump into things as you traveled to the restroom, why could you have not touched an item in your travels.
I can picture a swaying of a sort. Just a touch to get it into motion, creating an odd imaginary movement.

Perhaps it was brought on by lack of sleep, as well.
publicways (32 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-10)
To play devil's advocate here, why couldn't this just have been a normal shadow? - perhaps from the door or some object hanging in the room? Your mind can play tricks on you - especially when you are young. What you saw may have been perfectly explainable - I wouldn't rush to say this was a paranormal event.
MaggieMay_Not (15 stories) (106 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-09)
Did SpongeBob ever air that late/early? I thought Nick [at] Night took over from 8pm to 7am And was primarily old sitcoms and more adult viewing. I am presuming 14 years ago, which would be 2003/2004/2005. The way you state it, you say 'cartoons' and it seems to imply that you watched them regularly. Was Spongebob a one off thing? Maybe a special episode? Did you watch other cartoons? Spongebob is a Nickolodean production and not syndicated at that time. I can't find a single time where Spongebob was on at 1 in the morning - in any timezone. The latest/earliest I've found is 10pm. Maybe it just seemed later to you? 1 - 2 AM is awfully late for a 4 year old.

I tend to be a stickler for details. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
Maggie
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-01-09)
Oh man Mack your comment cracked me up. Welcome back by the way, your comments have been missed. Actually you are on to something with this story. An eight year old and his four year old sister up in the middle of the night watching Spongebob Squarepants were really setting themselves up for a perfect storm to "see" something in the darkened bathroom. What with the aquatic nature of Spongebob and his chums, it seems likely that if Ghosthunter had flicked on the light switch he and his little sis would have been so slap happy on lack of sleep and wacky underwater cartoon adventure that old Spongebob himself would have probably popped out of that shower! Lol.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-01-09)
Well, that's what you get for watching Spongebob Squarepants at 1 am.

I hope you learned your lesson.

Regards

Mack
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-01-09)
It sounds like there wasn't much discipline at home, was it? 🤔

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: