You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Kids Are In School

Real Ghost Stories

The Kids Are In School

 

I have posted a few stories regarding my childhood house which is still active (my father and 2 brothers still live there). This incident involved my mother and father back in the early 1990's and creeps me out to this day.

My parents' house (I still call it that, however my mother passed away in 2001) is located in a very rural area, no neighbors on either side and surrounded by woods. The driveway is approximately 800 feet long. If you didn't know what to look for, you'd drive right by it and miss the house. Next to the house, my father built a large 2 story garage. It has 3 separate rooms on the ground floor and 1 above. It's not your typical garage, but that's what we call it.

This incident occurred in the late morning hours on a nice spring day. My parents were outside chatting in front of the garage. The house is quite close to the garage. As they were chatting, a tremendous banging sound came from the inside of the house. My father described it as, "It sounded like someone was banging on the walls with a sledgehammer". He immediately became angry and said "What the heck are those kids doing? They're going to wreck the house!" Yes, we were active, rowdy kids so I'm not surprised he immediately thought it was us messing around. He started towards the house to see what "we were up to" when my mother grabbed his arm and said "The kids are in school". Apparently she was white as a ghost and my father stood there shocked, processing everything. After a few minutes, they went in to investigate and found nothing out of the ordinary. No damage, nothing was out of place.

My father has told this story several times over the years and the details remain the same. I heard the same from my mother a few times before she passed. It's still mind boggling. How could something cause that amount of noise/sound? Remember, it was a beautiful day, no storms, nothing out of place. The sound emanated from the side of the house facing the garage. It was commonplace to hear footsteps in the house. Usually coming from my parents bedroom and the attic, but this incident was completely out of the ordinary. It never happened again. I've always wondered how and why, but have settled on who knows? It's just added to the list of strange things that have happened there.

Other hauntings by CuriousDee

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CuriousDee, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-05)
Hi there Tweed,

Thanks for reading. I checked out the story you suggested and find the similarities interesting. I'm sure this kind of strange banging sound happens to more people, but maybe they dismiss it? The only conclusion I've come to is something trying to get attention. For what? Who knows. Hopefully, it's just a "I'm here ya know!".

I agree about cleansing and have talked to my father about it. He did get some white sage and burn it, but that's the extent. He's hard of hearing now and misses out on some of George's antics. My one brother used to react out of anger when George "acted out", until I talked to him about that not being a great idea. Basically, I worried that anger would cause George to really amp it up. Now my brother just acknowledges him and moves on.

I want to say George has become quiet, but there have been other voices and incidents that point to there being more spirits than George. It's hard to say though.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-05)
Hi CuriousDee,

I'm just now reading through your narratives and this one reminded me of something a former mod shared. I think you'll find it interesting there's many similarities. Your father may also find this account interesting reading.
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=18479

I've just read about your scary basement experience, that was absolutely horrible. It was as if they were waiting for the vacuum cleaner to turn on. *shudder*. Wish your farther would let that house have another cleanse, sounds like a great place otherwise. He can always do it himself, doesn't need to invite anyone over. I don't like the idea of people living with negative whatevers.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-22)
Darkangel73,

That's definitely a strange experience. Spirits always seem to know how to get our attention Lol

Thanks for reading 😊
Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-22)
I had experience where I was in a old historical house, watching the elderly owner. I am in the sitting room and could see the front entrance door from outside the window, I can see the front yard from another window. But while I was sitting there I heard the giggles of children. No kids inside the house just the elderly woman and I. I look out both windows no kids. Then I thought about it, when it had happened. The kids in that neighborhood were already in school 😨
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-18)
Spockie, I wish I knew what they were talking about. "George" has always seemed to have a bit of a temper. Lol I wonder if it's possible for a ghost to hear our conversations outside of the house? Perhaps he wanted attention and thought that was the best way to get my parents back inside?

Thank you for reading 😊
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-18)
Manafron1, Regarding the explosives theory, I am familiar with that. My father's house and my own are located in the country. It's common to hear target practice in the distance and something called Tanerite. It's a type of explosive that you shoot at and can cause the house and ground to shake. It's quite loud and intense, similar to a mild earthquake. There are no quarry's nearby either.

I am also familiar with the sound of banging pipes; I have had that happen at my house when running the washer sometimes. My father's house is the same.

I wish it had a logical explanation though. Even if we take into account the explosives or banging pipes theory's; The banging was strictly on one side of the house. It was not felt in the ground where they were standing either. It's just strange to contemplate. Thank you for the info and for reading!
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-03-18)
I have to wonder what your parents were chatting about at the time. If there was indeed a spirit there, perhaps it was upset over something they were discussing. Just a thought.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-03-18)
Hi CuriousDee - Your account made me interested to find out how common such paranormal banging is. Just type in "paranormal loud bang" on google and you will find many other accounts of people experiencing loud banging sounds in their houses with no identifiable source. There are even several youtube videos documenting weird banging sounds.

One non-paranormal possibility is that pressure built up in the pipes in the house creating the sound. Banging pipes can be startling and might be what your parents heard. Banging pipes are commonly referred to as "water hammers" because they literally can sound like someone pouding on the pipes with a hammer.

That the sound was never heard again does make it seem that what your parents heard could have been paranormal but the water hammer theory is a possibility. There is one other possibility. If there is a rock quarry nearby, explosives are often employed underground and can cause a very intense banging sound. I was once at a customers house and a rock quarry several miles away used too much explosive and caused a jarring banging sound that actually caused several people to report dishes and knick knacks falling of of shelves. The percussion made the ground shake. Just another possibility to consider.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: